Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* #105

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still believe that BM had friends in low places and he worked some dirty magic behind the scenes to enable the bureaucratic incompetence, missed filings, and “mistakes”.

jmo
interesting. Plausible, the DA would know where the stalling happened, and would presumably fire and charge, as it would be aiding/abetting a murderer in evading justice.

I still believe that BM had friends in low places and he worked some dirty magic behind the scenes to enable the bureaucratic incompetence, missed filings, and “mistakes”.

jmo
I agree - its very possible that the small town "politics" of people in different factions locally were at work behind the scenes to sabotage Linda and the case. I don't think that's far fetched or out of the realm of possibility. We have seen a lot of ego clashing along the way in this case along with questionable judgements.JUST IMO

"...isn't based on IE's complaint since she hasn't filed it yet."
^ xcrp'ted, WGR, for focus^
Awwrrrk!
[The best I can do to mimic an African Grey - - one that types anyway!] :D

Our false-track, feinting, never-dissipating cyclone has mis-led/represented and obfuscated blessed reality with such unerring facility, I must suggest we take a poll as to whether vel non our own Id Est has herself secured a mimic master *advertiser censored* shill to parrot her "notme/notme" dime-drops to some what-the-heck-can-I-slip-into-the-editor's-pending-basket-before-I-punch-out-today, shoe-leather-in-tip-top-shape, internet-imprisoned media "fact-checker".

All IMO + too easy & tempting for the self-aggrandizing these days o_O

Just looked on the court site for his Chaffee County review hearing on 11/28/22 for his forgery case - and it is not there. Anyone hear anything about this being cancelled?

Or was that set for 11/28/23 ?? per my notes:

Plead guilty (7/21/22) to a plea agreement. Morphew agreed to deferred sentence to 1 year, supervised probation. No jail time. Plus 32 hours of community service. Two other charges – attempt to influence a public servant & election mail ballot offense – were dismissed as part of the plea agreement. If he complies with the deferred sentence, he will have another hearing next year to end the deferred sentence.

Just looked on the court site for his Chaffee County review hearing on 11/28/22 for his forgery case - and it is not there. Anyone hear anything about this being cancelled?

Or was that set for 11/28/23 ?? per my notes:

Plead guilty (7/21/22) to a plea agreement. Morphew agreed to deferred sentence to 1 year, supervised probation. No jail time. Plus 32 hours of community service. Two other charges – attempt to influence a public servant & election mail ballot offense – were dismissed as part of the plea agreement. If he complies with the deferred sentence, he will have another hearing next year to end the deferred sentence.
If there is a review my guess it is a judicial to check up on activities required during his probation. As long as he doesn’t violate probation the election fraud case is pretty much a done deal. I imagine he hasn’t had any issues related to probation as it was not overly onerous with regard to community service and we never heard any conditions other than the discussion around hunting and restrictions related to that.

Okay - went back & found the article where it states the Nov. 28th date.

July 21, 2022
In the forgery case, Morphew has a review hearing set for Nov. 28, according to court records. If he complies with the deferred sentence, he will have another hearing next year to end the deferred sentence.

So I will keep him on that date.

Yes - this is the direction of my thinking as well. Given her conduct was questionable in the past, what else has she been up to? It seems to me an investigation is more likely to do with her general conduct, or some specific conduct in her role, whereas the case built against BM was built by investigators not LS
But...b-but...
Draped all over this latest is its timing.
For GNU - generally/normally/usually - "In Life, timing is everything." [anon.]
...this bright shiny thingee is much more enticing. I'm bored with being bored. I wanna chase around after it. Why wait, my brethren? Afterall, some melancholy Jacques fellow mentioned that the whole world is just some sort of stage. And I checked: we're all, every Justice here, in the fifth age of our appearance on it!
Hey guys, we gotta' getta' move-on. Recall that privateer rascal, scourge of the Scottish coast; chum of that Russki Great Catherine?... 'cause he said something about hesitating and losing!

And how telling that local 9News would rather give Iris airtime to share her very personal opinion rather than interview DA Linda Stanley on charging and prosecuting a 40-year cold case investigation where two victims and their families finally got justice.

“Bobbi Jo (Oberholtzer) was a fighter and is a hero. She fought back and because of that we were able to get DNA evidence to convict Annette and Bobbi Jo’s killer after all this time,” said District Attorney Linda Stanley, 11th Judicial District, in a news release.

Park County Sheriff Tom McGraw said that his office, the 11th Judicial District Attorney, CBI investigators and crime analysts and United Data Connect, a forensic science computing firm, worked together for justice in the cold case.

Deputy District Attorney Mark Hurlbert said that the long-awaited conviction should serve as a reminder that cold case, unsolved murders do not close.

“This absolutely gives hope to people,” Hurlbert said. “This case being so old, this shows there’s no case that can’t be solved.”

Phillips faces life in prison when he is sentenced at a hearing set for Nov. 7 in Fairplay, Park County, Colorado.

RSBM. Thanks for this! Although 9 News covered the arrest, the prelim, and the trial of Phillips, it missed an opportunity to offer the citizens 11th District a reassuring message about their troubled DA's office. Hurlburt is a former DA and a capable trial attorney who secured this conviction with the able assistance of Det. Sgt. Wendy Kipple of the Park County Sheriff's office and retired Denver Det. Charlie McCormick.

But they didn't do it on their own.

In light of the resource issues that appear to be prominent features in both the collapse of the Morphew prosecution and the discipline imposed on neighboring DA Ruybalid, I find noteworthy the fact that an outside group run by former Denver DA Mitch Morissey helped to fund the genetic technology that broke the case. CBI helped, too.

For me, this highlights the desperate need for wealthy taxpayers in these rural counties to step up to the plate and provide more funding for local law enforcement. They should not have to rely on the generosity of donors or the help of other taxpayers to provide effective law enforcement for their own communities.

Last edited:
How this person's misconduct relates to the unknown matters under investigation about Stanley, I don't know. The accusations against her being out in the "public domain" is a broad statement that is completely open to interpretation.

I would need to know a lot more about specifics. I think the media immediately bringing IE's wild accusations (and lies) into play was foul ball. Maybe she has some legit beefs in all her pontificating. If so, let the investigation reveal the details. Speculation without facts is irresponsible IMO.

I would also want to know a lot more about the specific reasons the Morphew prosecutors failed to meet the reasonable expectations of the district judges.

Where is the investigation into the conduct of the team of professionals led by Stanley? A proper & thorough investigation should look more widely.

Even if LS loses her job that may not change the conduct of a future prosecution team, should the Morphew matter not be transferred to a special prosecutor. That would be my preference.
RSBM. ITA with you. Details matter in an investigation that has integrity, and the OARC are a scrupulous bunch. Judge L's refusal to find that the violations were intentional is significant, to me, and it appears that in contrast to the Ruybalid investigation, the known complaints about LS arise from only one case.

For me, DA Ruybalid's discipline, imposed in large part for his failure properly to supervise staff while under significant resource constraints, gives me some heartburn because LS faces similar limits on her resources. I suspect that her inexperience combined with limited resources were significant factors in the discovery problems that seem to have plagued the Morphew prosecution. Whether they are grounds for discipline for LS or her staff remains to be seen, as you say. But there are enough similarities with Ruybalid that even her supporters must be concerned.

^^bbm

^^bbm

IMO, I'd say it's well-established DA Stanley's predecessor wouldn't touch this or any other cold case in the 11th Judicial District.

I recall the Park County Sheriff's presser where he credited DA Linda Stanley for working weekends and being available to the team late evenings, and moved the case forward after working closely with the investigative team for six weeks.

But more important, similar to Kelsie Schelling's parents, I think the families of the two victims here would beg to differ with OP about who they credit for taking these two murders off the shelf, filing the state charges, and obtaining long-awaited justice for the two victims.

It's OK to give credit where credit is due. MOO
Many thanks to you @Seattle1 for reminding us of all that is good about DA Stanley. I’m sure she’s not perfect. Who is?Personally, I’m a bit tired of all the LS bashing. I am highly suspect of anything that comes out of IE’s mouth after listening to her pontificate about BM’s innocence. Give me a freakin’ break, right? Regardless of what LS is being investigated for, I will not disparage her with regard to BM’s arrest or the dismissal of charges (without prejudice). Hers were not the only missteps in this case. JMVHO

Where is Suzanne? Lost amid the chaos of legal $ullshite. I never thought this case would evolve to where it is today. Andy and Melinda are probably very discouraged.
ITA. The absolute silence about this case from law enforcement and prosecutors offices lends itself to the impression that IE's continuing public attacks have intimidated them.

I really wish LS would do something to renew public focus, build momentum, and gain access to more resources. Boulder police just announced that they intend to do just that in the JonBenet Ramsey case, by consulting the Colorado Cold Case Task Force. LS and JS could do the same. At the same time, LS could announce that she is partnering with the Special Prosecutions Unit of the Colorado Attorney General's office, because of the potential multi-jurisdictional aspect of the case (multi-district/state/Federal) and because of its complex nature. This would give her access to the State Grand Jury, if necessary (As @Seattle1 noted earlier, budget restrictions imposed by the County Commissioners led LS's predecessor, Molly Chilson, to decline to pursue the Beverly England murder investigation through the County Grand Jury. I note that LS has not convened that jury in the England case, presumably for the same reason).

All MOO, of course.

Last edited:
ITA. The absolute silence about this case from law enforcement and prosecutors offices lends itself to the impression that IE's continuing public attacks have intimidated them.

I really wish LS would do something to renew public focus, build momentum, and gain access to more resources. Boulder police just announced that they intend to do just that in the JonBenet Ramsey case, by consulting the Colorado Cold Case Task Force. LS and JS could do the same. At the same time, LS could announce that she is partnering with the Special Prosecutions Unit of the Colorado Attorney General's office, because of the potential multi-jurisdictional aspect of the case (multi-district/state/Federal) and because of its complex nature. This would give her access to the State Grand Jury, if necessary (As @Seattle1 noted earlier, budget restrictions imposed by the County Commissioners led LS's predecessor, Molly Chilson, to decline to pursue the Beverly England murder investigation through the County Grand Jury. I note that LS has not convened that jury in the England case, presumably for the same reason).

All MOO, of course.
That's it. I've done all the research I care or have to!
It's in the public domain for goodness sake!
Sue or snip me!
Whatever...:p
"MONEY TALKS.
NOBODY WALKS."

:eek:

Thinking of Suzanne and trying to remain hopeful instead of disheartened.
Don't be dishearted @Dre. Cathy Krauseneck's husband, the Brighton, NY axe murderer, was sentenced last week and he won't ever leave prison but for his burial.

Thanks in part to scientific advancement in estimating the time of death, the husband was convicted in Sept-- 40 years after his wife's 1982 murder. Most important was that Cathy's lovely, 90+year-old father, Robert Schlosser, lived to see justice for his daughter: “And Jim, I hope you live to be 100 years old, and enjoy your new home (jail),” said Schlosser.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laayla