TX - Moriah Wilson, 25, Cyclist Fatally Shot Before Race, Austin, 2022 *arrest* #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
One last thought on the New Yorker article from me: KA's lawyer could not have been happy with the quotes given by CS and KA's friend. The friend basically blew up the claim that police "Concocted a Misogynistic and Fictitious Story".

From the friend, who knew them well (spent time with them at home), we learned KA was intense, loved CS and after putting in almost three years, she had expections and goals (wanted him to be "the one"). She also was self-admittedly jealous and would not be ok with an open relationship.

One last thought on the New Yorker article from me: KA's lawyer could not have been happy with the quotes given by CS and KA's friend. The friend basically blew up the claim that police "Concocted a Misogynistic and Fictitious Story".

From the friend, who knew them well (spent time with them at home), we learned KA was intense, loved CS and after putting in almost three years, she had expections and goals (wanted him to be "the one"). She also was self-admittedly jealous and would not be ok with an open relationship.
I never quite understood Cofer’s description of the case against KA as “misogynistic“, as if the police had a prejudice against women.

If anything, they recognized that a woman is capable of murder for the same age-old reason more often seen in cases of jealous men killing women:

”If I can’t have you, no one can.”

jmo

New Yorker article

This is a great article, and reinforces a lot of what I believed already about the character of CS. For all his faults, though, I do not believe for a second that he was involved in the murder.

I found this interesting about KA though: "Armstrong, in a conversation with Tolley, once described herself as being too jealous to ever have agreed to be in an open relationship."

I believe KA was a simmering cauldron of suppressed rage with a strong deal of ice cold control and single-mindedness that served her well once she knew she was the prime suspect.

This is a great article, and reinforces a lot of what I believed already about the character of CS. For all his faults, though, I do not believe for a second that he was involved in the murder.

I found this interesting about KA though: "Armstrong, in a conversation with Tolley, once described herself as being too jealous to ever have agreed to be in an open relationship."

I believe KA was a simmering cauldron of suppressed rage with a strong deal of ice cold control and single-mindedness that served her well once she knew she was the prime suspect.
What I find interesting is the date of CS & KA supposedly breaking up while still living in the same house & the official establishment of their Wheelhouse business are both in late Oct. 2021, according to this article.

KA had a strong financial motivation in warning off MW. I think the legal business partnership was a step forward in their commitment to each other in KA's mind. I have never thought their breakup was a mutual decision, as CS claims. The timing does not make sense.

If KA is the murderer, it's not due only to your assessment, which I think is accurate, but also due to her feeling "played" but denying it at the same time.

Mixed signals seem to be very much in evidence in critical-to-the-outcome relationships if accounts like this story are to be believed.

But the person who chose murder as a solution is evil & stupid. If it is KA, she's got an additional seven+ long months sitting in jail to ruminate on how she got there.

If the judge's recent decision to vacate the defense's "case" against Austin LE is any indication of what is to come, KA should take a plea!

MOO

Last edited:
Good article.
A sport full of self important people.
I agree.

But... I think the following is the core fact: "sports are full of self important people".

As the article stated, one cannot be a professional athlete with out believing in oneself. Though there are individual exceptions in regards to athletes, believing in oneself in the professional athlete sense probably involves a lot of self love and self hype.

There was a professional boxer who trained at a small gym I went to. Like CS, he had the skills and dedication to "live the dream" via earning 100k (+) a year competing in AA and AAA level boxing matches.

Like CS, he firmly believed in himself athletically, and.... had the same deep love of himself personality wise. He could care less about "hill climbing", but like CS, he was not supportive critique wise of anybody becoming even a distant rival. Unlike CS, he expressed all these things in Spanish, not English.
I agree it was interesting to see this portrayal of CS as kind of becoming the grumpy old man on the scene.
Its interesting that CS and the comparable boxer I once knew were both 35 ish. 35 is getting old for a professional athlete. Likewise, 35 probably the last year to make the jump from being "strongly competitive" to "world class".

The boxer I knew could not make that jump. Evidently, neither could CS no matter how hard he tried. Rather, both had reached the top of their talent, were facing a slow decline ability wise and.... the end of their dreams.

Last edited:
The quote about the clothes…well. Seemed to be a cycle (no pun intended) of valuing/devaluing in the relationship. Kind of a grudging tone to being with her. Like they were at a crossroads in the relationship and it’s tragic MW was put in that picture. I wonder if MW was the first woman that KA warned away from CS?

A few days after Wilson’s death, Strickland told police that he would have extracted himself from a relationship with anyone who seemed capable of violence. Strickland praised Armstrong for her kindness and noted that she had “amazing stuff going on.” (She had recently become a real-estate agent at Kuper Sotheby’s in Austin, and Wheelhouse had just made its first sale: the actor John C. Reilly bought a renovated 1956 Spartan.) Strickland also referred to their relationship almost as something to which he’d acceded. He said that he’d had to see past “stupid things, like, you know, the kind of clothes she wears.” In an aside to his lawyer, he said that there were a lot of people he “could’ve been spending my last three years with.”

I wonder if MW was the first woman that KA warned away from CS?
I suspect- yes, at least in regards to being given a formal warning.

Though not going to win any awards for fidelity, nor for well, humility, the very type 'A' CS does not seem to have been a serial seducer. For example, the article mentioned only one other girl friend, and that was brief.

That aside, I suspect that any woman giving too much attention to CS , while he say, screws around with a soccer ball (shirtless- of course) at the cycling after party was going to get a surfing "stink eye" from KA pretty fast.

Last edited:
The quote about the clothes…well. Seemed to be a cycle (no pun intended) of valuing/devaluing in the relationship. Kind of a grudging tone to being with her. Like they were at a crossroads in the relationship and it’s tragic MW was put in that picture. I wonder if MW was the first woman that KA warned away from CS?

A few days after Wilson’s death, Strickland told police that he would have extracted himself from a relationship with anyone who seemed capable of violence. Strickland praised Armstrong for her kindness and noted that she had “amazing stuff going on.” (She had recently become a real-estate agent at Kuper Sotheby’s in Austin, and Wheelhouse had just made its first sale: the actor John C. Reilly bought a renovated 1956 Spartan.) Strickland also referred to their relationship almost as something to which he’d acceded. He said that he’d had to see past “stupid things, like, you know, the kind of clothes she wears.” In an aside to his lawyer, he said that there were a lot of people he “could’ve been spending my last three years with.”

Wow sounds like a big Narc IMO…gets bored, loves insulting ppl in order to feel superior or in control, entitled to lie if needed, passive aggressive with affection…and the number one :enjoys triangulating love interests.

All JMO
I predict he writes a book or advises on
a movie thing.

Last edited:
I just read the New Yorker article, and it had the opposite effect on me. AR describes him as very demeaning - telling her she was “nowhere near skinny enough” to be a bike climber.

Three words from the article wrapped it up for me.
”He seemed tired.”

And I think he was. Tired of biking, tired of playing the ladies’ man field, and mostly tired of KA. Maybe he was truly hoping to move on to MW.
I have been around a certain number of talented high school, college and professional (though not major league) athletes as well as various levels of coaches.

One of my daughters received a CS style critique by a university running coach (known jerk with a championship team) regarding her times. As a result, I maybe a little numb to "Its all about me" attitudes and brutally honest critiques dished out by coaches and athletes regarding the abilities of other hopefuls.

I do agree that CS was tired, but I dont think he was tired of juvenile "chick juggling", nor was he truly tired of KA. Rather, I think in his jock mind, he moved KA to "alternate / reserve" chick while promoting MW to primary chick - well for the time being.

Rather, I think CS was physically exhausted. 35 is the onset of old age for many professional athletes. Its also probably the last year to make the jump from "strong minor league finisher" to "major league contender".

Given his performance declines, I dont think CS was going to be able to make that jump. He would not be alone as I think athletes capable of making that jump at 35 are few. The boxer I knew could not do it either.

In short, I think CS was looking at the end of his dream as a competitor. Maybe he saw MW as a re-invigorating conquest. Or, maybe he saw himself moving to a "trainer / coach" role with MW both a trainee and a romance partner- CS wins yet again.

"There was no evidence of any intentional disregard for the truth," Judge Brenda Kennedy stated in a court hearing on Wednesday regarding Armstrong's defense team's filing of a Frank’s Hearing and Motion to Suppress Evidence to challenge the truth of the information which detectives used to support the search and arrest warrants during their initial investigation.

Armstrong's murder trial was expected to begin in October but was delayed pending Judge Brenda Kennedy's decision on the two motions. The jury trial is now scheduled to begin on June 26, 2023.

Wow sounds like a big Narc IMO…gets bored, loves insulting ppl in order to feel superior or in control, entitled to lie if needed, passive aggressive with affection…and the number one :enjoys triangulating love interests.

All JMO
I predict he writes a book or advises on
a movie thing.
The cycle of narcissistic abuse is to idealize, devalue, discard, and the need for constant supply doesn't give capacity for long term, meaningful, and intimate relationships. Mo was the perfect victim for CS because she was long distance. He could play his games and portray a certain way, because she wasn't there up close to scrutinize his actions. I don't think KA is in any way a victim in this crime, but I do think she was likely the victim of a narcissistic abuse cycle and trauma bonding. Combine that with her age, wanting CS to be the one, betrayal, and having some part of her underlying psyche already being completely batshit, well, here we are. jmo.

For all his faults, though, I do not believe for a second that he was involved in the murder.
Well that's the entire point. I'm sure that there are many people following this thread who have experienced romantic betrayal, including partners who lied and cheated. There were tears, a hella rough patch, emotional scars in the aftermath, but we didn't murder anyone.

I'm not getting the obsession with dissecting and speculating on CS's various faults and implying that he set in motion the events that led to Mo Wilson's murder so IT'S ALL HIS FAULT.

The murder of Mo Wilson was set in motion when KA decided that Mo Wilson had to die. Murdering Wilson was surely done to punish CS -- not strictly to eliminate a romantic rival.

KA surely realized that everything was over when she made the decision to murder Mo -- her life with CS, her life in Austin, all of it.

Well that's the entire point. I'm sure that there are many people following this thread who have experienced romantic betrayal, including partners who lied and cheated. There were tears, a hella rough patch, emotional scars in the aftermath, but we didn't murder anyone.

I'm not getting the obsession with dissecting and speculating on CS's various faults and implying that he set in motion the events that led to Mo Wilson's murder so IT'S ALL HIS FAULT.

The murder of Mo Wilson was set in motion when KA decided that Mo Wilson had to die. Murdering Wilson was surely done to punish CS -- not strictly to eliminate a romantic rival.

KA surely realized that everything was over when she made the decision to murder Mo -- her life with CS, her life in Austin, all of it.
I think that a lot of this may come into things during the penalty phase of KA's trial, and a crime of passion defense could be introduced at that stage of the trial.

I hear you. If he wasn’t a public figure for sure he wouldn’t be facing this scrutiny.
I do think though that KA thought she was going to get away with it and expected to. I don’t know what she thought would happen when CS cheated again though - as IMO he would have.

I think that a lot of this may come into things during the penalty phase of KA's trial, and a crime of passion defense could be introduced at that stage of the trial.
From a random Texas lawyer's web site:

"Texas Penal Code Chapter 19, concerning criminal homicide, holds that such 'sudden passion' means 'passion directly caused by and arising out of provocation by the individual killed or another acting with the person killed which passion arises at the time of the offense and is not solely the result of former provocation.'

The law also holds that such passion must be due to 'adequate cause'. This means a 'cause that would commonly produce a degree of anger, rage, resentment, or terror in a person of ordinary temper, sufficient to render the mind incapable of cool reflection.'"

From a random Texas lawyer's web site:

"Texas Penal Code Chapter 19, concerning criminal homicide, holds that such 'sudden passion' means 'passion directly caused by and arising out of provocation by the individual killed or another acting with the person killed which passion arises at the time of the offense and is not solely the result of former provocation.'

The law also holds that such passion must be due to 'adequate cause'. This means a 'cause that would commonly produce a degree of anger, rage, resentment, or terror in a person of ordinary temper, sufficient to render the mind incapable of cool reflection.'"
I think it will be hard in this case as she essentially stalked the victim. She didn’t catch them in bed or anything.

Absolutely agree with the bolded. The article is very good and I agree with the author’s opinion of the situation. In the end of the day, regardless of MW’s and CS’s traits, this case is about KA, a severely personality-disordered, scary woman. And I hope the jury would see it as it is.

The towns of Burke and Kirby in California have approved a bike ride to be held in May 2023 in memory of Moriah “Mo” Wilson.

RSBM

Agreed. I mean those things are part of normal life and virtually everyone experiences them at some point. It's the decision to escalate to murder that is the unusual thing. Especially that means that in day to day life, when people make decisions to have affairs or end relationships or perhaps be a 'bad person' they don't foresee that someone will react like a psychopath!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288