MN MN - Bryce Borca, 23, college student, seen at 2AM, search focused near Minnesota River, Eagan, 30 Oct 2022

Not that I have seen/read. There is little information in general being given out by LE.
Thanks. I would be curious to see the video if it's ever released and to observe Bryce's motor skills, walking, level of intoxication. Was he stumbling a lot, etc. Assuming it was captured soon after he left the Lyft drop-off location, and he may have sobered up some the further he walked, I think it may still offer some perspective.

Some reasons I can think of that they would keep quiet are:

1. They were doing something illegal or stupid when Bryce got lost (such as urban exploring, breaking and entering/trespassing or hanging out at a fire out in the pond area) or
2. He was potentially accidentally shot while walking through the gun range or
3. He met with his fate while on one of the business/industrial areas and there could be a potentially bad law suit
4. They actually do suspect foul play but aren't about to advertise it because they need to surveil suspects and don't need public speculation or harassment.
5. They have reason to believe he is deceased from self harm - this is a common reason for not wanting public involvement, not speaking to the press and for family to be very private. It is unfortunately the only rational explanation for why Bryce would walk himself into the woods and away from civilisation.
This is a great thoughtful response and some new ideas I hadn’t considered. I know LE doesn’t think they owe the public any info, and they have to hold things back to build a case. but IMO I feel like they could save lives if they were more transparent in situations like this. something caused Bryce to disappear, whether it’s foul play or not. so there is some kind of danger, from my perspective.

#2 especially is terrifying to me, the police were using the range when I passed by on the railroad tracks on Sunday Nov. 13.

Considering cases like the one currently unfolding in the quadruple homicide in Idaho, I think police are very quick to say no public threat/no foul play, or it would need to be very obvious the person will hurt more people to be considered a threat to the public. There’s no benefit to creating mass hysteria from a public safety perspective.

all JMO

Thanks. I would be curious to see the video if it's ever released and to observe Bryce's motor skills, walking, level of intoxication. Was he stumbling a lot, etc. Assuming it was captured soon after he left the Lyft drop-off location, and he may have sobered up some the further he walked, I think it may still offer some perspective.
The video and the FaceTime call to his friends are probably both pretty telling.
Doubtful anything will be released, given the lack of info or even updates by LE so far.

Last edited:
what if Bryce ubered to his friends house after the party bus intending to stay the night, but they got into some kind of argument. Bryce left to walk home but had some kind of mental health break and went toward the wooded area instead of home. the call to his friends was not for help, but actually to say goodbye.

based on other cases i’ve read about, storming off after an argument often precipitates people going missing.

jmo

what if Bryce ubered to his friends house after the party bus intending to stay the night, but they got into some kind of argument. Bryce left to walk home but had some kind of mental health break and went toward the wooded area instead of home. the call to his friends was not for help, but actually to say goodbye.

based on other cases i’ve read about, storming off after an argument often precipitates people going missing.

jmo
That has crossed my mind too, but all the reports have said he called them telling them he was lost. Would LE lie about that? And if he did call them to say goodbye, wouldn’t they have contacted the police right away? They were his good friends.
I also wonder what else was discussed on that call…they said it was 12 minutes, so I’m sure there is more than just being lost and phone is dying. That call likely holds many answers.
Maybe there was an argument during that call, he stormed off by himself and the friends figured screw him.
We could guess and speculate all day long about what transpired that night.

Going back to square one, perhaps there was a witness of Bryce on a bridge or nearby to the know river... we've been discussing how he could have covered much more ground... I'm starting to lean towards self harm ..
JMO
Eta Minnesota river

Eta Minnesota river
Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but early reports said ‘by the river’. In subsequent reports with more detail on the last ping, it was in a wooded area behind the industrial area west of 13 near the dead end of Yankee Doodle. It would have been a hike to the river, but not impossible.
I also thought I read at one point, that LE searched a part of the river early on. Can anyone confirm that?
However, given no updates or info, it’s possible he could be anywhere, IMO.

I have a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that there is such an outpouring and level of concern from complete strangers, but nothing from family, friends, law enforcement.
Agree. This missing kid, Bryce, was all over the local news and Eagan police Facebook site for a couple of days. Family and friends called for volunteers to help search for him. Over 200 people came out with little notice. Everyone in the community was heartbroken and concerned. Still are. Many of us with kids his age, or knew of the family where he went to school. So many with some connection. Or others just concerned, maybe for other reasons. We all want to help find him if he is still out there somewhere. Many went out searching on their own. Continually asking for updates. We are all invested in bringing him home, and are hoping for any update.
And yes, disappointing, there is not a word from LE or family…not even a statement in 10 days that LE is still working to find him.

Last edited:
I have a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that there is such an outpouring and level of concern from complete strangers, but nothing from family, friends, law enforcement.
I think this is because the family knows...

And are grieving privately.

Recovering his remains is all that remains, and will only confirm what they already know. MOO

And LE is honoring their request for privacy. Quiet recovery effort. MOO

Reminiscent of a similar sad case, also in MN. Body recovered the next spring. LE was radio silent too. At the family's behest.

There'll be no shortage of grief.

JMO

Recovering his remains is all that remains, and will only confirm what they already know. MOO

Reminiscent of a similar sad case, also in MN. Body recovered the next spring. LE was radio silent too. At the family's behest.

JMO
I think you hit it right on the head.

Some reasons I can think of that they would keep quiet are:

1. They were doing something illegal or stupid when Bryce got lost (such as urban exploring, breaking and entering/trespassing or hanging out at a fire out in the pond area) or
2. He was potentially accidentally shot while walking through the gun range or
3. He met with his fate while on one of the business/industrial areas and there could be a potentially bad law suit
4. They actually do suspect foul play but aren't about to advertise it because they need to surveil suspects and don't need public speculation or harassment.
5. They have reason to believe he is deceased from self harm - this is a common reason for not wanting public involvement, not speaking to the press and for family to be very private. It is unfortunately the only rational explanation for why Bryce would walk himself into the woods and away from civilisation.
IMO
Can't forget jumping into an industrial trash bin. Accidental mishap

JMO
I think we all know…

And are all grieving with them/for them.

However, complete silence sparks rumors and speculation. And the public continues to be out looking for him, due to lack of updates. I absolutely understand about the family needing privacy, but would hope there could be a better balance between their privacy and a very simple update to the community. JMO

Last edited:
The local media went absolutely silent on this case. If he wandered into tje backwaters on the east bank of the River he may never be found.
I was wondering if he went over the 2 bridges across the river to the Bloomington area.
I don't know if they're potential suicide spots, but I suppose they could be.

I was wondering if he went over the 2 bridges across the river to the Bloomington area.
There are two bridges. The 77 Cedar Bridge and the Old Cedar Bridge.

Neither bridge is in a line of his movement, since he was east of the bridges by around 2+ miles, but, of course, he could have walked the tracks west to Nichols Rd, which is the lead to the bridges. It would be a rather long walk. Then, he would have had to turn R, find the 77 Cedar Bridge access in the dark. Why jump when he could just walk right into the river before the bridge entrance at the boat launch? No car access to the bridges. Pedestrian, bicycles only.

If he did find Nichols Rd, under the bridge where Nichols ends, there is a trail straight ahead along the south side of the river. I think he would have favored that over turning R to locate the 77 Cedar Bridge crossing, which isn't obvious, especially in the dark.

Jumping off the Old Cedar Bridge is an even farther walk after first crossing the 77 Cedar Bridge - doubtful and not very deep right now. You could see the bottom last time I was down there. By that time he would be in "civilization" - up the hill trail to rather busy Old Shakopee Rd.

What I can say for sure is if you're an outdoors person, which most Minnesotans are, you know about the river crossings, the parking lots on the n/s sides, the hiking trails, the mountain bike trails. Bets are he had been. Still, I think 2+ miles is too far for him to have walked.

Last edited:
turning R to locate the 77 Cedar Bridge crossing, which isn't obvious, especially in the dark.
None of where he was should've been obvious in the dark! (But he still made it to the ponds.)
By that time he would be in "civilization" - up the hill trail to rather busy Old Shakopee Rd.
He was near civilization on Yankee Doodle Road to start with. Maybe civilization wasn't what he wanted?
Still, I think 2+ miles is too far for him to have walked.
I'm not so sure. He was making good progress for someone who was allegedly so drunk he didn't know where he was! I think 2+ miles was definitely manageable....

That was just some of my thoughts.

I appreciate your local knowledge and input on the 2 bridges. This case really is a strange one.

None of where he was should've been obvious in the dark! (But he still made it to the ponds.)

He was near civilization on Yankee Doodle Road to start with. Maybe civilization wasn't what he wanted?

I'm not so sure. He was making good progress for someone who was allegedly so drunk he didn't know where he was! I think 2+ miles was definitely manageable....

That was just some of my thoughts.

I appreciate your local knowledge and input on the 2 bridges. This case really is a strange one.
Finding the 77 Cedar crossing in his intoxicated state would have been a challenge. I have many, many times crossed the 77 Cedar Bridge. Access from the south is rather hidden as it is completely across a large parking area, facing east away from the parking area. He could have gotten lost just crossing the parking lot!

I-77 is an interstate highway across the Cedar Bridge. There is no access to reach the top of the bridge from below, and you don't walk an interstate highway. There are no houses, businesses around the interstate here. When you cross the 77 Cedar Bridge trail from the parking lot off Nichols Rd, you are never on the top of the bridge. You are on a trail on the bridge side. Cars are above you, and there is no access to them or the top of the bridge. When you drive across the 77 Cedar Bridge, you don't even see the trail.

Let me further explain there's no place to jump off the 77 Cedar Bridge. The 77 Cedar Bridge trail is not straight, has 4 turns, is mostly caged. From the south trail you are immediately enclosed by 6 ft walls, go through a turn, continue up, go through another turn, and up, and NOW you are about to cross the river IN A CAGE and high walls where you cannot even see the river. At the top of the trail there is a small sort of peek area. Then you start down among more cages and high walls, do a turn, go down again to another turn and off to the trail on the north side.

The Old Cedar Bridge is low to the water, tourist haven. Ducks.

The ponds are maybe 50 yds behind the Hwy 13 businesses. Very close. He would have stumbled/fell into them if he was as intoxicated as the Lyft driver indicated. It's not like they are highly visible, and it was dark.

Last edited:
THINK CAGED. CAGED.
The bridges are not normal bridges. I-77 is an interstate highway over the Minnesota River. There is absolutely no way to access this bridge except walk the interstate. This is Minnesota. If we see someone on an interstate, we dial 911 immediately. The bridge is not near any housing or businesses. It's in the middle of a nationally protected area. To access it from below, you would probably need crampons or ropes and face arrest. Clear, parking area under it, plus boat launch.

There is a trail that crosses the bridge. You cannot even see it from the interstate. IT IS CAGED. You are walking, cycling inside a cage. Impossible to crawl out of the cage and jump. The trail is NOT atop the bridge. It is on the side. On the trail you cannot even see traffic. And, if you drive over the bridge, you cannot see the trail.

The other bridge, the Old Cedar Bridge, is flat, right next to the water. It is a re-built tourist attraction. You can see the bottom clearly unless it's flooded. On most days if you jumped from this bridge, you might get your lower body wet. It's only a pedestrian, bicycle crossing. No cars.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back