ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
The FBI Critical response team

yes! They do behavioral analysis as well! The criteria for FBI to become involved would be interesting as well.
Yes. . i was struck by the BAU being there right off the bat but to see the presence of a whole crew of CIRG arriving ramps this up for me.
Is there more behind this than we have imagined? Is this what the agitation and urgency of the University and Editorial Board of the Statesman l for info and increased safety is about? Not to mention the lackadaisical, withholding approach of local LE? IMO
This is not normal. And it is frightening.

It took a very fearless killer to enter a home with six adults, one a large strong male, and a dog!
Many factors could make that not so.
1. Did he have a gun for 'backup'
2. Did he know if they were armed?
3. Did he know how many were in the home (and that Ethan was there)?
4. Was he acquainted with the dog already?

Where has the suggestion that the1st floor had a lockable door from the 2nd floor come from?

Apart from being an odd feature that does add an element of additional insight into the two survivors. If true they were potentially behind not just 1 but 2 locked door layers of security.

Therefore were they truly missed/ignored by the perpetrator or just too hard to get to in a hurry.
I believe it has been stated that the 1st floor was a basement converted to living area. If this is the case, it's totally normal to have a door that locks, usually at the top of the stairs. Definitely not an odd feature, rather a standard feature. And yes it would certainly give an extra layer of security in this particular scenario (but not really in others, as there is a door directly to the outside at ground level). Moo.

ETA Link for basement
"Most frequently, people used the door that was located on the basement, and then you took a set of stairs to get to the main floor," she said.

Spare Bedroom? Seems to be a nice size room, was there a roommate there at one time? Has anything been said about that?
I can’t imagine anyone renting this place again, especially if the suspect isn’t caught.

Where has the suggestion that the1st floor had a lockable door from the 2nd floor come from?

Apart from being an odd feature that does add an element of additional insight into the two survivors. If true they were potentially behind not just 1 but 2 locked door layers of security.

Therefore were they truly missed/ignored by the perpetrator or just too hard to get to in a hurry.
I just glanced at that comment and wondered, too. Did it come from the property interior schematic?

Many factors could make that not so.
1. Did he have a gun for 'backup'
2. Did he know if they were armed?
3. Did he know how many were in the home (and that Ethan was there)?
4. Was he acquainted with the dog already?
I have wondered if Ethan often stayed the night or if it was rare.The killer might not have expected a man there.

Such a possible feature might not be unusual in rentals catering to students, nor in say, super costly, high density cities like NYC, and SF.

The ability to separate (well, at least relatively) the various floors would allow the rental rooms on each floor to be presented as relatively separate mini apartments.

This would allow the rooms and micro apartments to be rented to separate groups of people who were not very familiar with each other.

Likewise, as the separation is pretty token, the house could also be presented as a complete rental unit where the parties renting it figure out who lives where.

The more I read about this the harder it is for me to believe that this was anything but a targeted killing that got out of hand. I don't think it has anything to do with a cult, political extremists, drug dealers, or anything like that. All of these kids, the victims, and the surviing room mates seem like nothing but kind, happy, well-adjusted college students. I'm going to stick with this being done by some obsessed kid that knew her although she may not have even known he existed. I'm gonna go with male, 18-30, socially awkward, possibly a U of I dropout. I don't think it was sexual or a thrill kill. I think it was anger that drove him.

But that may make him very hard to find. He likely has no close friends that would know of his obsession or notice any change in behavior. He will probably quietly leave town. His DNA is probably all over the crime scene but he probably does not have a record so nothing to match. They might get lucky with familial DNA matches but that could take years. And there is probably going to be so much foreign DNA on all of their bodies that there will be a lot of false leads. All the the victims were around lots of other people that evening in a crowded bar or at a party. Plus, all the visitors to the house!

Think about it. If you knew someone who was obsessed with one of those girls, now or in the past, wouldn't you have already contacted LE?

For all the people wondering why one (or two) of the women were repeatedly calling an ex rather than 911 -- I have been a young woman in a (bad) relationship, bad enough that I should've been calling 911 when my ex came into my house, or followed me in his car, or hit me, and calling 911 either never crossed my mind, or didn't seem like an option because I didn't want him to get in trouble. I thought I could handle it myself. I lived, so I guess I did handle it adequately enough.

I have also had the same ex steal my phone - multiple times - and call a new guy I was dating so that he could A) get the new guy's # and address from texts in my phone; and B) yell at and threaten new guy.

We don't know for sure who was making those calls.

(I am now safe, smarter, and single)

The more I read about this the harder it is for me to believe that this was anything but a targeted killing that got out of hand. I don't think it has anything to do with a cult, political extremists, drug dealers, or anything like that. All of these kids, the victims, and the surviing room mates seem like nothing but kind, happy, well-adjusted college students. I'm going to stick with this being done by some obsessed kid that knew her although she may not have even known he existed. I'm gonna go with male, 18-30, socially awkward, possibly a U of I dropout. I don't think it was sexual or a thrill kill. I think it was anger that drove him.
Well said.

There appears to be nothing in the background of any victim that would motivate a socio political extremist of any type or political orientation, nor a religious extremist to attack them.

In short, there is no evidence of political activism, engaging in protests, or counter protests, having strong and outspoken socio political beliefs or... say, running socio political blogs and engaging in internet "flame wars" with the other side.

From the religious aspect, the lifestyles of the victims may of had elements that conservative Christians, Muslims, and say, Jews were probably not going to affirm. But.... it is a huge jump to advocate the possibility of a religiously motivated attacker based on that alone.

That leaves, as you said..... the angry 18-30 year old loner male with dwindling options in life. I alos like your possibility of a drop out. A college drop out with no trade skills could slip into the: "Dwindling options- gotta succeed at making this relationship happen." mode of thinking.

Last edited:
Anyone speculating about the press conference scheduled for tomorrow? It appears they already have another PC scheduled for mid week. I’m wondering if they may be releasing some information regarding the behavior analysis?

I'm gonna go with male, 18-30, socially awkward, possibly a U of I dropout. I don't think it was sexual or a thrill kill. I think it was anger that drove him.

But that may make him very hard to find. He likely has no close friends that would know of his obsession or notice any change in behavior.
This. This. This. I completely agree with you here. Great comments. I feel he did this in the heat of the moment. Abrupt. Unpremeditated. Overkill.

It looks the same to me.
In my plan I made the assumption that X+E's bedroom was the one right next to the staircase going up to the third floor which would mean the killer's movement would be possibly limited to a portion of the house where it would be conceivable to have the two surviving roommates not hear anything. This alternate floorplan doesn't necessarily change that but makes it a bit harder to believe IMO considering X+E's bedroom would be directly above one of the two surviving roommates bedrooms. Not to mention these are the two who are widely considered to have fought back. I have no idea if the person just made a guess of which room was theirs or if they actually have that information.

Someone mentioned earlier about there being greater crowds in Moscow the weekend of November 12 & 13 because of restrictions in nearby Pullman, due to observing the anniversary of a hazing death at a college of Washington Sate University on November 12, 2019. Could the timing be conspicuous given these were also sorority/fraternity kids?

This is one of many reports:

Wow, now that's an angle I hadn't thought of. Are you suggesting maybe a relative of Martinez may have targeted them for revenge?

But wouldn't you expect the target to be in Spokane and a member of ATO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆