GUILTY OH - Pike Co - 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered - 4 Wagner Family Members Arrested #86

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh great! I was hoping you would come back on the thread and stay on here. We still have Billy left.

That is a good question, I can't remember if it was the prosecution or defense who subpoenaed them.

From looking at the Docket it seems like the prosecution issued the subpoenas because the prosecution called some of these witnesses to the stand. Interesting, they didn't use Rita Newcomb either.

08/22/2022 SUBPOENA ISSUED ON RANDA HUGHES, RITA NEWCOMB, ROBERT WAGNER, JULIA WAGNER, KATY WAGNER, CHRIS NEWCOMB, ROBIN WAGNER & FREDERICKA WAGNER

08/22/2022 SUBPOENAS SERVED BY BCI BY PERSONAL SERVICE ON RANDA HUGHES, FREDRICKA WAGNER, ROBIN WAGNER, CHRIS NEWCOMB, RITA NEWCOMB, JAMES MANLEY, APRIL MANLEY, SHAWN WATSON, DONALD STONE, EMMA MORGAN, AND BILLY MORGAN ON 8-22-2022
I thought rita Newcomb testified.

This is good....

Canepa: Boy is Angela a lucky guesser - she knew about truck without knowing Jake's testimony. George had said he didn't know where it went - never saw it after first day.

Biggest lie he told you - about that gun show in Columbus. Jan. 31 2015 when it happened. Why that lie? Because he cannot admit he was there with Jake when Jake bought the 1911. George also said on tape he never saw 1911 ever.
AW admitted guilt. I'd expect her to know about the truck, JW admitted guilt before her, and is the one who gave up the location. G3 sure hasn't and he drove it to his niece's home (what a guy!). No JW, no truck. No JW cooperation, and no pond buckets full of cement, firearm pieces, and a cheap, TWD knife, w/tip unbroken.

I don't recall hearing a tape of G4 stating he'd never seen the 1911, but, I never could see why he couldn't admit he was w/JW at a 2015 gun show. The Prosecution says there was no planning til early 2016. "These murders happened after a period of three months of planning, plotting, and purchasing, and preparing, and executing eight individuals of a family,” Canepa said" (during opening statements).
I saw a comment elsewhere that I agree with. She is likely doing the closing because she is connecting with the jury. She is speaking right to them. 9 women and 3 men, she is speaking to them, not us. I think Clark Kent does a great job asking questions when there is an expert that needs to get through a lot of details quick. He is great at that. I think when questioning the women in this case it was good for AC to be there almost having a dialog vs question and answer. I think they have been strategic with who does what. We might have thought the opening was long and boring with umms, but I've seen reports from those in the courtroom that said the jury was engaged the entre time and listened intently to her. So I'm going to trust that not just AC, but all 3 attorneys for the state have been reading the courtroom and especially the jurors and had AC do the closing for a reason.

She is the Special Prosecutor. They've seen her face the most, she opened, and she's questioned 90% of the witnesses, if I were a juror, I'd think something was off if she didn't close, even if I dreaded listening.

She did not give out jury instructions. She clarified and gave examples of the charges against George
Sure looked/sounded like instructions, of course, as I said, I watched only in bits and pieces. She's tough for me to watch/listen to. I've had to re-watch much of her time on the floor. It's closing now, so I'm not bothering to rewatch it.

Judge Deering denies all of GW's jury instruction motions but will instruct the jury about certain ones.

<modsnip>

Attachments

• defensejuryinstruction.jpg
    defensejuryinstruction.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 21
Last edited by a moderator:

Alot of good photos in this article that sums up events using a timeline.

There is a good clear photo in this article of Billy, Jake and George walking into Gary's funeral and you can tell they both have black hair, the "dye job" George can't remember gettng.

Plus, posted on the thread, there is that photo of George's black hair at the Peterson Rd house when he is with Jake taking care of the animals. Plus there is witness testimony that George dyed his hair but of course George can't remember getting his own hair dyed. Why lie about it?

Last edited:
Apology for posting Evan's tweets late. Congratulations to Courtney! She will be missed as she moves on to Hotlanta.

PIKE COUNTY TRIAL: Spending this week in Waverly for closing arguments in the #GeorgeWagnerIV case

MORE: First thing this morning, the defense team and prosecutors are going to be haggling over the jury instructions (we're talking about more than 100 pages long). Closing arguments are expected to start around 10 a.m.

MORE: Get caught up here - including the news last week that prosecutors will officially take the death penalty off the table, per Jake and Angela Wagner's plea deals.

MORE: Jury is coming in - sounds like closing arguments will start right away now.

LIVE NOW: Judge Deering informs the jury that prosecutors have dismissed the death penalty specifications on the 8 aggravated murder charges.

MORE: That means, jury will NOT be sequestered while they deliberate.

CLOSING ARGUMENTS: Special prosecutor Angela Canepa starts the state's closing arguments - thanks jury. "You guys have served the longest of any criminal jury I can think of" -- 12 weeks of testimony in this one.

CLOSING ARGUMENTS: Canepa "I also want to apologize for the enormous amount of evidence in this case." Notes 8 victims - 4 scenes - means 8 autopsies, etc.

CLOSING ARGUMENTS: Canepa returns to something from opening statements - "These murders should never have happened, there was never a reason.”

"Frankie's crime for which he got the death penalty? Allegedly kissing his niece on the lips ... and he was the type of man who would have to go through to get to his family.”

CLOSING ARGUMENTS: Canepa is going through victims one by one.
CLOSING ARGUMENTS: Hannah Hazel Gilley - "proud of her son." "Her crime was solely being there. Nothing else.”

CLOSING ARGUMENTS: Canepa calls Chris Rhoden Sr a "hard worker ... a family man who provided for his family." Notes he grew marijuana - "that has nothing to do with this case." "He was killed because he was the patriarch." Echoes 'cutting off head of the snake' comment.

CLOSING ARGUMENTS: Canepa says Gary Rhoden was described as "goofy." "His only crime was simply being there.”

CLOSING ARGUMENTS: Canepa says Kenneth Rhoden described as "a hardworking man, a generous man." Says he was killed because he was strong - and close to his brother Chris and would figure out who did this.

CLOSING ARGUMENTS: Canepa describes Dana Rhoden as a "loving mother and grandmother." Was working a double that night - and then going to watch Brentley the next day.

CLOSING ARGUMENTS: Hanna May was "loving and proud mother of Sophia." Canepa says "She refused to be manipulated by the Wagners." That was her crime - never going to sign custody papers on Sophia.

CLOSING ARGUMENTS: Little Chris Rhoden had just got his drivers license, "was happy ... the annoying little brother who always had to go with Hanna when she went to Jake's." His crime? Canepa says Angela Wagner suspected he had done something to Sophia.

CLOSING ARGUMENTS: Canepa says Angela Wagner testified that Sophia had made a comment that Chris Jr did something to (touched?) her for bubble gum. Canepa indicates there's no evidence of that.

CLOSING ARGUMENTS: Canepa now talking about George Wagner IV. Canepa - "themes of the women who become ensnared in the Wagners' lives." Tabitha first - no contact with family, accused of poisoning Wagners, accused of abusing George; after she cheated on George, they took phone

CLOSING ARGUMENTS: "This was a family affair" - Canepa recounts the night Tabitha fled the Wagner home. Hanna called Chelsea from someone else's phone, terrified. Hanna says Wagners told her they threatened to cut off her legs if she told anyone.

CLOSING ARGUMENTS: Canepa address argument that Wagners didn't kill Tabitha for custody of Bulvine - 'they went about it the right way, through the courts.' Canepa notes Wagners falsified police report against her - saying she was aggressor that night.

CLOSING ARGUMENTS: Canepa addressing the questions of if Tabitha knew what she was signing when she divorced George and lost custody of Vine. "She thought it was a temporary deal ... made efforts to see her son" but Wagners found reasons to not be around.

CLOSING ARGUMENTS: "They were all working as a family to ensure Tabitha never got any visits with Bulvine.”

CLOSING ARGUMENTS: After George and Tabby split, he was monitoring her FB. "He says she gave him her password - but that doesn't make sense." Jake was also using Hanna to get info on Tabitha, Canepa says.

CLOSING ARGUMENTS: Canepa calls Hanna May different from Tabitha: "she had a support system, she was less malleable, she had her own transportation." But Canepa says texts & messages show how they tried to still dominate her. Relationship ends when Jake tries to choke her

CLOSING ARGUMENTS: Canepa points again to FB monitoring and the Dec 2015 message from Hanna - "they'll have to kill me first." "BY January 2016, they have made the decision they are going to kill them and you start seeing the purchases corresponding to that timeline.”

CLOSING ARGUMENTS: Canepa - "it's hard to imagine 8 people would lose their lives from such a flimsy motive but it’s true, you’ve heard from them.”

CLOSING ARGUMENTS: Canepa recounts wire tapped call between George and Jake - "George is losing his mind" about Bulvine's safety with Beth Ann Canepa says it shows he is "not the voice of anyone to ever sit one out." Says George wanted to even protect Sophia from Jake himself

CLOSING ARGUMENTS: Canepa says Wagners had "flimsy allegations" against Beth Ann and similar ones against Rhodens. "They whip themselves into a frenzy ...but you can tell from this conversation that it's George and Angela leading the charge.”

CLOSING ARGUMENTS: Canepa is painting a pattern with the boys' wives/baby mothers. "Beth Ann knew she needed to get out because the things they were accusing her of were what they said about Tabitha.”

CLOSING ARGUMENTS: Canepa, still discussing Beth Ann and what she writes in her journal - "there is nothing that happens in that household that is not a group decision ...and they are willing to resort to crimes if the women don't cooperate.”

CLOSING ARGUMENTS: Canepa now addressing circumstantial evidence - says in this case it's "almost as good as us being there and seeing them commit these crimes." Says they also have strong direct evidence - Jake and Angela's testimony.

CLOSING ARGUMENTS: Canepa nots "other acts" evidence she says is valid here - the lessons in crime George testified to. Spotting the cop before dad Billy, learning how to steal, etc.

CLOSING ARGUMENTS: Canepa calls it evidence the family operated like a criminal enterprise - there's an objection from defense and attorneys go to judge's bench. Back, Canepa notes wrecking truck for insurance money- "proud" of crime without family's help.

CLOSING ARGUMENTS: Canepa is now running through circumstantial evidence - after explaining to jury that complicity charge doesn't require George be present for killings. First up, shoes + shoeprints from crime scenes.

CLOSING ARGUMENTS: Canepa says the circumstantial evidence is ballistics - matched from Peterson Rd to scenes 2 + 3. meaning, they came from the same gun. "Very strong circumstantial evidence." Got about 12 positive matches.

CLOSING ARGUMENTS: Canepa calls the 1911 .22 gun "strong circumstantial evidence" too. Photos from an iPhone back up on Jake's laptop show one in his hand. Was also on gun list investigators found - an inventory list

CLOSING ARGUMENTS: We are taking a short morning break.

CLOSING ARGUMENTS: Back from short break, Canepa says evidence of social media hacking is circumstantial evidence too. They found thousands of pages of messages. Also says false statements are circumstantial & admission of guilt. Ex: claiming no problems with Hanna or Rhodens

CLOSING ARGUMENTS: Canepa says tattoos are circumstantial because they all went together; Billy got a scorpion on his trigger finger. She's also talking about the Boondock Saints movie clip - Jake dyed his hair to look like Norman Reedus.

CLOSING ARGUMENTS: Canepa says at the end of Boondock Saints 2 - the dad of the boys kills his best friend. Uses a Glock. "Is that proof positive? No one has told us that is a fact, but it does seem suspicious."

CLOSING ARGUMENTS: Canepa calls George's tattoo suspicious - it is a skull & crossbones with an 8-ball and 3 aces (instead of the traditional aces and 8s)

CLOSING ARGUMENTS: Canepa says the silencer pulled from the well on Peterson Road is strong circumstantial evidence. So is the burned DVR, she says. They had it for one month, bought a 3-year warranty, then burned it?

CLOSING ARGUMENTS: Canepa says knowing that Jake had been in Dana's new house the week of the homicides (putting up a crib for Kylie) is strong circumstantial - they knew killer had to have been familiar with it because they had just moved in.

CLOSING ARGUMENTS: Canepa is discussing three forged documents - backdated. First, she calls "If I die before I wake, I want my child to go to Jake" document - as if Hanna signs on 12/24/2014 Both boys also sign one - giving custody to Angela. 3 weeks before murders.

CLOSING ARGUMENTS: Canepa moves on to direct evidence - testimony from Jake and Angela. Jury instructions will give them guidance on weighing it. She says Jake Wagner "gave us a lot of information" like location of weapons. "We know he is telling us the truth about something.”

CLOSING ARGUMENTS: Canepa says Jake and Angela's testimony "basically corroborate each other." She wasn't given - still hasn't been given - her son's testimony. Canepa: "I don't think we can take that lightly." Example was the shoe sizes that night.

CLOSING ARGUMENTS: Canepa references call from George to Angela in 2018 - he wants her to have best attorney so she stands best chance to beat the case & take care of the kids. "She had every opportunity to say 'I knew nothing about this.' But not what she did.”

CLOSING ARGUMENTS: Canepa says "the reason their stories are consistent - the reason they match - is that they finally told the truth." Counters Parker's line that this was "the deal of the century" for Jake. Notes he plead to all counts + victim family was consulted.

CLOSING ARGUMENTS: Canepa says Jake "didn't tell us what we wanted to hear ... We were wrong about the order victims were killed in, had no idea about the drug deal ruse.”

CLOSING ARGUMENTS: Canepa on Jake and Angela's believability: "Ask yourself: why would you say George was involved if George wasn’t involved?”

CLOSING ARGUMENTS: Canepa says Jake also asked prosecutors if part of the agreement could be that he could see his family and hug them one last time "before they went to prison for the rest of their lives." Prosecutors didn't agree to it.

CLOSING ARGUMENTS: Canepa says there were some differences in testimony from Jake and Angela versus George's testimony. "I got a whole lot of ‘I don’t remembers’ from George…"

CLOSING ARGUMENTS: Canepa says Jake puts George at the scene - and that he helped build the false truck bed, was supposed to shoot Chris Sr from a distance (per Billy) that night, wore shoes and ski mask.

CLOSING ARGUMENTS: Canepa is walking through the killings - George doesn't take the shot at Chris Sr so Billy kills him, then freaks out. She believes George and Jake move Chris's body - because Billy had hurt his back + shoeprints are in his blood.

CLOSING ARGUMENTS: Canepa says a size 11 shoeprint was also found in Dana's house - scene 3 - matching George. She says Jake testified that Billy and George were lookouts at that house while he killed Dana and Hanna May.

CLOSING ARGUMENTS: Canepa says Jake and Billy dropped George off at a pull off area before going to Kenneth's trailer on Left Fork Rd - picked him up after and then went home to destroy the evidence

CLOSING ARGUMENTS: Canepa describes the Wagners' "paranoia" - told each other to stop cooperating, not talk int he same room, not talk around cellphones, and they all had alibis for each other when interviewed at the border. "George participated in those types of conversations.”

CLOSING ARGUMENTS: Court is on recess for lunch until 1:30 p.m. Prosecution has gone nearly three hours for closing arguments- and is not yet done.

CLOSING ARGUMENTS: Jury is returning from lunch now - special prosecutor Angela Canepa will continue her closing arguments.
CLOSING ARGUMENTS: Canepa wraps on Jake and Angela's testimony - "they told the truth, as horrific and disgusting as the truth is." Now she moves to to George's testimony - "I would submit to you that you should weigh HIS testimony with grave suspicion.”

CLOSING ARGUMENTS: Canepa is raising issue with George's testimony in his own defense. Claims he had motive to lie on stand. Example, he calls Frankie his "best friend" but is on recording talking about how they had "drifted apart." Frankie is blocked on his FB

CLOSING ARGUMENTS: Canepa is poking holes at George's defense that he's been trying to get away from his family since he was 16 - "he's lying ... he can't be associated with them anymore because otherwise you might think he was part of the crime.”

CLOSING ARGUMENTS: Canepa says George also lied when agents interviewed him at the border. George told them his son goes to bed at 1230 - watched a fairy movie Sophia picked. Canepa calls it "the alibi lie.”

CLOSING ARGUMENT: Canepa says George lied on the stand - "the first pack of lies, I'll call 'I don't remember.’"

CLOSING ARGUMENTS: Canepa chuckles when she discusses George's story about the truck used the night of the murder. "Boy, is Angela a lucky guesser" that she got the story right without knowing Jake's testimony. George said he never saw the truck again.

CLOSING ARGUMENTS: Canepa says George admits to lying to BCI agents at the border, but says it wasn't to protect him or his family - but to protect Hanna and her family from the rumors on FB and Topix

CLOSING ARGUMENTS: Canepa says the biggest lie George told the jury was about the gun show at Westland Mall. There's a picture and proof of Jake buying the 1911 Walther Colt. George says he doesn't remember Jake being there. On recordings said they never owned one.

CLOSING ARGUMENTS: Canepa says she never heard George say during his testimony that he was mad at Jake for lying about his involvement. She says she likes to think that would be her first reaction - to which defense attorney Parker objects

CLOSING ARGUMENTS: Special prosecutor Canepa is going to go through all 22 charges with the jury now. Of note, addressing the issue of 3 murders (Dana, Chris Jr, Hanna) located in Scioto Co. Canepa notes it applies when "in a course of conduct.”

CLOSING ARGUMENTS: Canepa says she isn't saying Jake Wagner is a hero - "he's a despicable, vile human being if we can even call him that ... but the difference between him and his brother is that he came forward.”

CLOSING ARGUMENTS: Canepa quotes a recorded call between George and Jake - "I would say to you the family has spoken - Jake and Angela," Of note, Canepa's closing argument clocked in at about 4.5 hours.

CLOSING ARGUMENTS: Judge Deering will recess court for the day - George Wagner's defense team will start at 8:30 a.m. on Tuesday for their closing arguments.

Pike County murder trial: Prosecution delivers closing arguments​

From two different sources — guilty or not — the jury heard that George was there with his brother and father on Union Hill Road the night of the murders. Both admitted their own guilt without lying, Canepa said, and could have pinned the whole thing on Billy without ever implicating George.

"The reason their stories are consistent, the reason their stories match is because they both decided to tell the truth," said Canepa.

Only AC knows the answer to that question. That interview has been a big bone of contention in these threads. We have ALL wanted to hear it.
Everyone should ask the defense why they didn't play it when they had the opportunity.

AC had the right and responsibility to not allow playing of it in order to protect the state's ability to truthfully question GW4 if he took the stand.

Once he testified, the defense could have asked that it be played, but they didn't. That indicates his interview would have been incriminating for him after he was proven to have lied on the witness stand.

JMO The defense only wanted to create the illusion that state was hiding some exonerating evidence.

LOL, I fell for it again. I'm not going to respond to this questionable question anymore.

This is good....

Canepa: Boy is Angela a lucky guesser - she knew about truck without knowing Jake's testimony. George had said he didn't know where it went - never saw it after first day.

Biggest lie he told you - about that gun show in Columbus. Jan. 31 2015 when it happened. Why that lie? Because he cannot admit he was there with Jake when Jake bought the 1911. George also said on tape he never saw 1911 ever.
George has told a lot of lies. No doubt he lied about his knowledge of Jake buying the 1911 at the gun show. However, IMO the biggest lie he told is the one at the border to the BCI agents about the night of the murders. That shows me he is in on the cover up. When trying to protect his whole family he tells one lie. Now two of his co-conspirators admit that was a lie. Now he is telling another Lie to save himself. Saying he went to bed at 10pm vs 12:30. It is just hard for me to ignore that George's "best friend" (his words not mine) was killed along with 7 members of his family including the mother of his niece and he has to conveniently change his story.

Is aiding and abetting a lesser charge than complicity?

In arguments AC said that aiding and abetting was a part of GW4's complicity. To justify a charge of Complicity, AC showed a list of acts, etc. that are considered complicit acts. One of those was aiding and abetting. There were other complicit acts that GW4 did, in addition to A&A. Adding up those complicit acts proves complicity.

Probably better to go back and listen to AC's testimony. She explains it better than I do. She was explaining it in detail for the jury so they'll understand the state's position and evidence when they're deliberating.

I know the burden of proof is on the prosecution, but if I were a juror I wouldn’t wonder “Why would George IV be there?” I’d think “Why ^wouldn’t* he?”
Iirc all the testimony about the intertwining lives of the four Wagners supports the idea that they were pretty much always in each other’s business- their finances, their crimes, the family meetings, the “All for one, one for all” mindset. So are we supposed to believe that sure, George IV was involved in 5000 other things that the family did, but for *just this one thing• (murdering the Rhodens & Hannah Hazel) the three of them discussed various scenarios, planned & prepped, did these awful murders, destroyed evidence & cleaned up… & totally kept it all secret from George VI? For what purpose would they have kept him in the dark?

Last edited:
Judge Deering denies all of GW's jury instruction motions but will instruct the jury about certain ones.

https://mobile.twitter.com/chasingpaper89
Surprised at the Pretty Lies chick complaining about AC showing photos of the crime scene.
The woman (don't know her name) is ignoring the fact that the jury and the victims family have already seen these photos. They were shown at the beginning of the trial when the prosecution showed the devastation of the murders and entered the photos into evidence.

Everyone in the court room had already seen the photos, including the jury and family members. This is only the second time I've seen any of this woman's show and she's obviously pro-Wagner and anti-prosecution. Also gets key facts wrong in the first couple of minutes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member