ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 16

Status
Not open for further replies.
-This is a college town, and I suspect that a lot of the residents that live there full-time (whether or not they're affiliated with the college) may be used to this noise - given that it comes with the territory.

-The killer would have to be a fool to make numerous complaints about the noise & then turn around and kill 4 people in the house. They should know they would be one of the prime suspects in the case, re: their motive being they were angry about the noise/parties.
Though I disagree with your second point ( when rage boils over, humans are very capable of making criminal decisions that would be illogical, contradictory, poorly justified and avoidably risky), I think your first point is very strong.

At the end of the day, it is not only a college town as you stated, but the residence also appears to be in the middle of a well known student party district (with in sight of several fraternity houses).

My guess is that the immediate area of the home constitutes a mini "French Quarter" for Moscow, Idaho.

It is probably well known for being a "No Live Zone" of say, 6-9 small square blocks if you are thin skinned about noise, comings and goings at all hours, or the less frequent, but still occasionally occurring rude, crude and even lewd behavior of some area residents or wander ins.

Last edited:
One of the possibilities discussed on this thread has been whether or not the perpetrator knew the victims personally and/or was familiar with the house (as opposed to a complete stranger). I tend to agree with those who have been saying that the perpetrator wasn't a complete stranger as it would be extremely risky to break into a house without knowing who could be inside, so I believe the perpetrator was at least familiar with one or more of the victims.

The Sigma Chi house has a direct view of the entire front of the victim's house, with many of the frat house bedrooms having a direct view of the house on King Road (see this Daily Mail video - screenshot from the video included below). If a member living in the house wanted to monitor the activities in the victim's house, they could easily surveil them from the comfort of his own bedroom––no need to sneak around in the bushes behind the house and risk getting caught. In the dark, it would be extremely easy to see when the victims went to sleep based on when the lights in each room were switched off.

View attachment 383565

We know that Ethan (a member of Sigma Chi) and Xana were at a party at the Sigma Chi house on the night of the murders (ABC News). If there was a fight or some sort of altercation at the party that night, that could be a possible motive. Additionally, compared to Kaylee and Maddie, we know very little about Ethan and Xana's activities that night beyond their attendance at the Sigma Chi party.

Numerous people Kaylee and Maddie interacted with that night (the guy in the hoodie at the food truck, the person they were calling late at night, and the 'private party' driver who took them home) have been ruled out by LE as suspects, but no one Ethan and Xana interacted with that night have ever been publicly identified or cleared (City of Moscow Police Department press release).

Due to the close proximity of the Sigma Chi house to the victim's home, it would be very easy to walk to the house, commit the murders, and then walk back to the frat house without being undetected (no vehicle needed). Additionally, because the frat house is effectively next door to the victims' home, the perpetrator would likely be aware of the habits of neighbors (i.e., whether they frequently have parties) as well as which houses in the neighborhood have security cameras. It also seems that the Sigma Chi house has exterior stairwells (see the photo above), so the perpetrator may have been able to return to his room without coming into contact with fellow members/visitors.
This has been my thought as well. the only thing throwing me off is it must have been K and M as the target initially and both E and X as I thought would be related to Sigma Chi. That's my own leaning because I dont think there was a need to go upstairs if the point of entry and target was downstairs, that's just extra noise for people already asleep and too much risk. But definitely seems everyone at the house was familiar with the fraternity so guess it doesn't matter

The longer this goes on without any camera footage, foot prints, blood, trail, scent, trail, etc., I’m starting to think he never left the house.

New theory: he was a sleepover guest of one of the downstairs roommates. Casually rinsed off, hid the knife, climbed back into bed with her, and was there when 911 was called. Never even went outside until after noon.

I wondered if he might have been a sleepover guest, too, but maybe not with any of the home's residents. He could have been acquainted with one of the kids from work or school, and perhaps he claimed he didn't have a place to stay for the night. Maybe they agreed to let him stay on a sofa. That would explain why he could kill some of them in their beds as they slept but maybe ran into E, who woke up due to commotion in the hall and then followed X back to her room. MOO

Didn't LE clear the surviving roommates and the individuals who were at the home with the surviving roommates on Sunday when LE arrived? So if there was an overnight guest, the guest has been cleared.
Maybe this is just semantics, but MPD uses the term: “not believed to be involved”. I don’t think they have used the term “cleared” for anyone. In my mind there is a difference.

the way the house is set up. IMO they would've been too freaked by finding someone to then bypass that scene and go to the third floor.

Wait a second, the door would have to have been locked. They said, "unresponsive female" on the 2nd floor. That's X. If the door's open, then they would have seen BOTH X and E.

There is no finding anybody. They knocked, she didn't respond. They probably tried to open the door only to find it locked.

Hi folks, I've been lurking here for a while without commenting, but I have an idea or two which may be worth sharing. It seems that there is a majority view that these dreadful killings were probably targeted in some way. I agree with that, and it occurs to me that perhaps it was just because it was a houseful of girls. I think the perpetrator was aware of that (as were plenty of others of course). But also someone who lived quite close by would have known that, by observing all the girls' comings and goings. And perhaps he started on the path to killing them just by first thinking how vulnerable they might be, ie an easy target. A houseful of young men would probably not have caused thoughts like that.

one of the "reporters" that was at the last presser who claimed to be a member of PathFinder Newspaper actually wasn't working with them. Pathfinder released a comment Pathfinder Newspaper. what do you guys think about that?

that's really strange and off putting to me.
Can anyone help me with finding out what that lady asked during the press conference? I think she did a long-ish intro and lost her thread a bit and in the end she stuck out as vlogging or something (selfie video'ing), but for the life of me I cannot recall what she asked, nor find the transcript on thread 10 and I'm on a limited internet plan in the woods atm. (No, I don't think she's the unsub, just curious)

The longer this goes on without any camera footage, foot prints, blood, trail, scent, trail, etc., I’m starting to think he never left the house.

New theory: he was a sleepover guest of one of the downstairs roommates. Casually rinsed off, hid the knife, climbed back into bed with her, and was there when 911 was called. Never even went outside until after noon.
Per Moscow police spokesperson Snell “All individuals who were in the home when police arrived have been cleared”.
From the interview yesterday per link below.

Idaho Student murders update: Police say why key details are being withheld from the public

This is a college town, and I suspect that a lot of the residents that live there full-time (whether or not they're affiliated with the college) may be used to this noise - given that it comes with the territory.

-The killer would have to be a fool to make numerous complaints about the noise & then turn around and kill 4 people in the house. They should know they would be one of the prime suspects in the case, re: their motive being they were angry about the noise/parties.
Though I disagree with your second point ( when rage boils over, humans are very capable of making criminal decisions that would be illogical, contradictory, poorly justified and avoidably risky), I think your first point is very strong.

At the end of the day, it is not only a college town as you stated, but the residence also appears to be in the middle of a well known student party district (with in sight of several fraternity houses).

My guess is that the immediate area of the home constitutes a mini "French Quarter" for Moscow, Idaho.

It is probably well known for being a "No Live Zone" of say, 9 small square blocks if you are thin skinned about noise, comings and goings at all hours, or the less frequent, but still occasionally occurring rude, crude and even lewd behavior of some area residents or wander ins.

As a result, residents in the immediate area are likely to be either participants in the commotions, or though maybe not full participants, knew what they were getting into and not prone to be thin skinned about it either.

If she wasn't responding, why wouldn't they go upstairs to check or wake up k or m?

Shouldn't the call have been, "unresponsive roommates?"

Kind of odd to me.
Maybe they tried texting everyone in the house and when no one responded, they had a gut feeling they should just stay put and get some back up so they texted friends. I would imagine the house was eerily quiet.

Ok, so they find her. Why didn't they find E?
my theory is that since we all can confirm that X suffered defensive wounds/fought back that it's possible she was trying to escape while E was still in bed. JMO. so roommates walk upstairs into living room area, take a right towards X's room and if X was trying to escape, maybe she could've been laying in the space between the kitchen and living room.

that's entirely my opinion based on that we're kind of gathering that it could've been X that they made the 911 call for

I had a question about this too as kaylees sister said she had secured ring doorbell footage of them being dropped off but then I have read there were no cameras to be seen-it’s another confusing point in this case. Also if true that her sister did have ring video proof-would have ruled out a means of entry (if no one else showed up on the video
Yes, this is why I thought the arrival was from a camera specifically but I couldn't remember who said it and had no link so I tried to ask my question as to not have WS moderators alerted about my question. But the narrowing down a point of entry was also on my mind...not that it matters much.

well this debunks the theory that ethan was found by the roommates in the hall when they came upstairs in the morning.
Not in my opinion.

Where can we see the full interview because the clip itself says nothing about the non-responsive female being on the second floor. Only the tweet caption does. Is there a link to the whole interview?

It also says when officers arrived 'they addressed that issue' and *then* found 2 deceased people on the second floor. I interpret that (my speculation only) as the non-responsive person being dealt with was possibly outside, and then LE proceeded to the second floor to find out why that person had gone into shock/was non-responsive/maybe fainted.

IMO the non-responsive person was not one of the victims. MOO.

Edited: Fixed the quote from 'they dealt with' to 'they addressed'

Last edited:
Not sure that the camera could view the door. Possibly just the street, maybe the driveway.
As posted previously, Kaylee’s sister was able to obtain cam footage from a neighbour and that is why she insisted the girls got home at precisely 1:56 as opposed to what LE was originally indicating. The link was posted on the threads previously and the link is on the media thread as well.

Last edited:
Can anyone help me with finding out what that lady asked during the press conference? I think she did a long-ish intro and lost her thread a bit and in the end she stuck out as vlogging or something (selfie video'ing), but for the life of me I cannot recall what she asked, nor find the transcript on thread 10 and I'm on a limited internet plan in the woods atm. (No, I don't think she's the unsub, just curious)
IIRC, one of the questions was if they believe it's possible for the perp to be a female and she was also asking about the BAU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine