Australia Australia - Marion Barter - Missing After Trip to UK - June 1997 #16

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is great to see timelines from the past and add new dates or corrections now that more evidence has come to light :)

We now know they travelled separately out of Aust
IK sent her baby with her friend back to her family before she left
She then reuntied with WW in France with their baby, after his cruise with DWalker on the Chusan
She then left him just before he was arrested June 1971
IK marries MJR in Budapest
Their son born 1972
IK arrived back into Aust 1974/ maybe 1973
I can’t think many foreign nationals married inside the Communist bloc in the 70s. Shame we don’t appear to have any Hungarian sleuths on here yet

if you have ever Googled RB's name, you have probably come across the guy in Ohio, USA. He seems to be the most prominent person called RB, and he is very senior in the pawnbroker world of all things.

Unbelievably, he has specific expertise in the pawning of stolen items and he works with the local police department as an adviser on the matter. In this capacity he was a source for the book "In Hock: Pawning in America..." by Wendy A Woolason (2009).
Yep, probably where he got the idea for his next alias

if you have ever Googled RB's name, you have probably come across the guy in Ohio, USA. He seems to be the most prominent person called RB, and he is very senior in the pawnbroker world of all things.

Unbelievably, he has specific expertise in the pawning of stolen items and he works with the local police department as an adviser on the matter. In this capacity he was a source for the book "In Hock: Pawning in America..." by Wendy A Woolason (2009).
Haha. Yes Ric Blum on Pawn Stars.

Ohio Loan Co., Inc. | Dayton Pawn Shop – Pawn Stars Rick Harrison and Ohio Loan’s Ric Blum.

RBs (FR) ad in Le Courrier published 10/12/94. Although at the inquest he said he didn’t have any responses at his PO Box he was a bit more cagey when it came to any telephone responses.

In 1995 he went to Europe 4 times starting in Feb 1995. This was more than usual and I suspect that ad netted him at least one French speaking victim in Australia who he took to Europe. Whilst in Europe he probably found one or two more victims that year.

Do we know the length of those visits in 1995?

I think you are onto something with these missing Belgium women Mrs Wattle!
Oh it's been suggested before about these other missing women by other websleuths.
Monika Schöller-Gyüre
and Georgette Van Acker

RB Modus operandi especially that Monika was active on dating websites, a doctor who researched pharmaceuticals and supposedly missed her Dutch Dental appointment.

Last edited:
Oh it's been suggested before about these other missing women by other websleuths.
Monika Schöller-Gyüre
and Georgette Van Acker

RB Modus operandi especially that Monika was active on dating websites, a doctor who researched pharmaceuticals and supposedly missed her Dutch Dental appointment.
I gather her partner was suspected for that one. The coincidence of the “Dutch dentist” sure piqued my attention though.

That “Tainted Love part 2” TLV podcast is a cracker! Wowser!
I felt my blood run cold when the Belgian lady described how RB wanted her sleep apnea on record.

I wonder where her precious goods, packed into trunks, disappeared to? Australia?

Seriously this man needs to pay reparations to his many victims and/or their families. He obviously has some kind of wealth in Australia, mostly real estate with forged names I reckon. I doubt very much his children got an inheritance of any sort and quite possibly IMO the money they received could have been Marion Barter’s.
Also “the kids” must be middle-aged by now, I feel silly calling them children or kids. Wonder what his grownup family members think of his actions.

My school days were spent listening to BBC radio dramatisations of Dorothy L Sayers crime novels. Thoroughly recommend them. I don’t have a man servant though!

Same as my friend, he was originally from the UK.

He also liked a character called Paul Temple, amongst many other radio programmes.

Same as my friend, he was originally from the UK.

He also liked a character called Paul Temple, amongst many other radio programmes.
Yep I like Paul Temple too! I have all the BBC radio dramatisations of Agatha Christie novels and Sherlock Holmes. I have no idea why I’m so interested in true crime?!!

Mind you just before first lockdown in the UK I discovered my long departed and bigamist Grandfathers alias and double life. When I saw how his actions and womanising (before I was born much of it) affected my Nan when she was alive is why I’ll do anything I can to nail RB.

I can't get over the cruelty of getting someone to fall in love with you, then dump them, after you've taken everything they own and possibly alienating them from their families.

It's hard to believe that anyone with a shred of decency would feel that's an ok thing to do :(

Not only take all they have, but break their hearts and destroy their confidence as well. :(

I can't get over the cruelty of getting someone to fall in love with you, then dump them, after you've taken everything they own and possibly alienating them from their families.

It's hard to believe that anyone with a shred of decency would feel that's an ok thing to do :(

Not only take all they have, but break their hearts and destroy their confidence as well. :(
It makes you wonder if it’s in their DNA or some life event has made them that way? At what age did RB start looking for relationships solely to fleece women? What set him off on that path?

Yep I like Paul Temple too! I have all the BBC radio dramatisations of Agatha Christie novels and Sherlock Holmes. I have no idea why I’m so interested in true crime?!!

I'm a huge Agatha fan. I had all her books, but stupidly gave them away.
But I now have them all back :)
I made it a project last year and, got them from eBay over a few months, and found a few in Op shops. There's just a few I don't have, her romance ones, under a different name and some about her travels in the middle east. Some poetry too, I think.

I've been into true crime since I used to steal a look at some magazines hidden away in our granny flat when I was a kid, all sorts of true crime stories with gruesome drawings :)

I"ve been hooked ever since.

It makes you wonder if it’s in their DNA or some life event has made them that way? At what age did RB start looking for relationships solely to fleece women? What set him off on that path?
Probably some combination of: genetic low empathy and early exposure to deprivation/harshness, something that caused an inability to form a stable attachment to a warm and dependable caregiver. One or the other can be overcome, but a combination of the two can be a diabolical thing.

IMO

Probably some combination of: genetic low empathy and early exposure to deprivation/harshness, something that caused an inability to form a stable attachment to a warm and dependable caregiver. One or the other can be overcome, but a combination of the two can be a diabolical thing.

IMO
Probably barking up the wrong tree but I’m still of the opinion he was born a Jewish Hungarian but his birth parents were killed by the Nazi’s (Concentration Camp) around 1944 and he became a child orphan rescued by the Catholic Church and ended up in Belgium with his foster family the Coppenolle’s. Of course I might be 100% wrong!

That “Tainted Love part 2” TLV podcast is a cracker! Wowser!
I felt my blood run cold when the Belgian lady described how RB wanted her sleep apnea on record.

I wonder where her precious goods, packed into trunks, disappeared to? Australia?

Seriously this man needs to pay reparations to his many victims and/or their families. He obviously has some kind of wealth in Australia, mostly real estate with forged names I reckon. I doubt very much his children got an inheritance of any sort and quite possibly IMO the money they received could have been Marion Barter’s.
Also “the kids” must be middle-aged by now, I feel silly calling them children or kids. Wonder what his grownup family members think of his actions.
What I wonder though is what is the point of having all the money from the scams if he isn’t using it to live in a bit more luxury? Per the neighbour in recent episodes they lived very simply in a rented apartment with no fancy art or furniture etc… does he just have it all stashed somewhere and hasn’t spent it? I hope so so that it can be returned to the people he has ripped off.

My feeling he had been trying to build his own family dynasty as a way to imagine some kind of eternal life for himself.
He’s a narcissist, worst thing for him is to be extinguished, erased from the face of the earth. He left plenty of DNA as a younger man but ceased to do that at some point—trying to avoid leaving evidence or a change of preference maybe.

Perhaps he'd like to cast fresh eyes on this case?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77