ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 17

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of frat guys and probably sorority women will bring unaffiliated dates to parties in my experience.
During my frat days. The parties were generally open to anyone.....as long as that anyone was female. Usually the only guys were the frat brothers and their male friends. But the parties were always open to all women on campus. Yeah I know.......just sad.

It wasn't just the house, but what was inside the house. He had no direct target, but he knew what lived in that house. It was a sorority house. So he knew there would be female victims inside. He targeted the house because that house contained his victim type.
If the references to the murders being “a targeted attack” were made in the context of community safety, it doesn’t work unless the target was specific to the person(s). If it’s a “type” then those types are not safe until the killer is apprehended.

Yes, so so so sad...in the context I wondered if Mr G was actually implying both Girls were targeted...Maybe....Maybe not...but he is an incredible Father dealing with so much pain so determined to get justice for the Girls!
Yes. It seems the kids were blessed with caring, involved parents. They so eloquently speak of their kids & their loss. I’d be a babbling mess.
I know the Dean spoke about Xana & showed a photo. It just seemed so impersonal & truncated juxtaposed w the others. I guess Ethan’s parents weren’t comfortable bringing her up or were asked not to. I know they’ll have a service for her but still.

I can imagine the pain he feels. Unbelievable grief. But soon anger and lawsuits will follow.

I can give you an example. I have been trained in this by a university. If It came to my attention that a student for example was sexually assaulted, and if I call 911 I am fired. I must only contact the university. The university then reaches out to the victim and the perpetrator and manages it in house.
I worked at a nonprofit which helped victims navigate the Title IX system. While it does have its problems, the ultimate aim is to protect the privacy and autonomy of victims. It is an extraordinarily personal and difficult decision for a survivor to decide to report their assault to police. Doing so means potentially agreeing to have a (highly invasive) rape kit performed, forensic interviews with detectives, and testifying against the person who assaulted them in court. College staff calling 911 because a student reports having been sexually assaulted removes that agency from them –– they no longer have a say in whether they want to pursue an emotionally challenging and drawn out legal proceeding. Oftentimes victims of sexual assault feel powerless and retaining the ability to decide whether or not to press charges allows them to reclaim some of that power.

Or better, they will stop treating the community with kid gloves and release a composite/profile.

At this point, I hope they know who did it and are watching him while building a case, or else they should be frank with the community-at-large. Because if someone else gets attacked/killed due to their keeping any information about a potential serial killer 'close to the vest', then any goodwill they had will be lost and lawsuits will abound.

My opinion.
You are right. Unenviable position.

Oh WOW. Oh wow. This seems to be important!

Look how close the call was to house…
Ummm.. I don't see anything remarkable about this whatsoever. Some random drunks in a field making too much noise... not a chance that this is the perp or perps. The party itself? Could have some nuggets.. The police blotter.. don't see it.

During my frat days. The parties were generally open to anyone.....as long as that anyone was female. Usually the only guys were the frat brothers and their male friends. But the parties were always open to all women on campus. Yeah I know.......just sad.
Lol. I was never in the Greek community but I know exactly what you're talking about with the frats! I did have some friends in sororities and there were plenty of guys at those parties.

Yes. It seems the kids were blessed with caring, involved parents. They so eloquently speak of their kids & their loss. I’d be a babbling mess.
I know the Dean spoke about Xana & showed a photo. It just seemed so impersonal & truncated juxtaposed w the others. I guess Ethan’s parents weren’t comfortable bringing her up or were asked not to. I know they’ll have a service for her but still.
Maybe they blame her a little. If E hadn't been with her, etc. it's not reasonable, but with that amount of grief, people react in different ways to find a way to cope in the short-term.

This made me sad that no one spoke on her behalf that was a loved one.

Thankfully so. It is always a woman's or man's decision to report if he/she has been sexually assaulted or not. The only mandatory report to law enforcement is for a child.

Good point. But all university faculty and staff who are told about a sexual assault are mandatory reporters, and must report this information to the Title IX officer at the university. Usually institutional policeis require that it is reported within 24 hours of a student disclosing this information. Every year new and returning faculty and staff are required to take Title IX training online so they are aware of this responsibility.

Just sickens me that something like this can happen to four kids in a college town.

My four years in college were some of the most joyous, special years of my life.

Only a true coward could kill defenseless young women while they slept.

Come on FBI, this coward/killer needs to go down HARD asap.

Who said a target has to be animate?
I thought the “targeted attack” comment was made to put community fears to rest.

The house still stands. Was the killer trying to destroy the owner of the house, get the house razed?

Snipping for focus.
Welcome to Websleuths.
Tho your post describes you as a T/C novice, I agree: to date, LE has not released factual info pointing to identifying a suspect. Or even a person of interest.

Snipping to address part of only one angle: Using knife, not gun?
Not necessarily indicate anything about income.

Why was gun not used?
If perp planned killings, prior to entering house/apt., seemly likely perp may have considered gunshot noises & the unwelcome attention they would have brought in that neighborhood of closely spaced homes & apts. Well, that is, if perp was thinking rationally, as we usu. do here.

Ability to procure gun?
Could perp have bought a handgun legally?
Purchasing a firearm is subject to federal law and a federal NICS* background check for sales made thru fed'ly licensed firearms dealers.**
IN. statutes also govern handgun purchases.***
For private sales in IN, background checks are not required, so a perp may have chosen that route.

Of course, as an alternative to legally purchasing, a perp could "borrow" either w. or w'out owner's permission.
Or might use the time-tested way stealing a handgun.
If planning to use a handgun to kill or even "just injure" a person, a perp may not give a second's thought to possible prosecution or conviction for handgun law violations.

It's also possible perp had gun w him at the time of killings and may have shown it to one or more victims (brandishing it to encourage silence) but did not fire it.

So much we do not know. At least not yet.

For lots of tedious, technical details, see:

* National Instant Criminal Background Check System - Wikipedia

** Gun law in the United States - Wikipedia

*** Gun laws in Indiana - Wikipedia

Both Indiana and Federal laws restrict purchase and possession under certain circumstances. Federal law prohibits possession of firearms for life by those convicted of felonies and for those convicted of misdemeanors involving domestic violence.
Ii would take a significantly more amount of commitment and intestinal fortitude to do this with a knife. This was not a physically easy task to see through to completion. It would appear that he had some how gained prior knowledge of the home and occupants, as others have rightly mentioned. Having dealt with uncooperative patients for thirty plus years (a small percentage thank the Lord), whom we were there to aid, I can’t get my mind around the chaos that took place in that home when someone is trying to kill four people. You can have a patient that is moderately sedated (as would be the case with alcohol), and even with the slightest stimulation, their fight or flight system can overcome what you have given them as if it was nothing. Without a doubt, once adrenaline kicked in, these young ladies had the ability to make this difficult, not to mention the young man. If this was a first time kill I would be amazed, because this was a difficult, heinous task. Not one that in my opinion could be accomplished by a first time offender.

Oh WOW. Oh wow. This seems to be important!

Look how close the call was to house…
Even if this is completely unrelated to the murders, this means the cops were basically right outside the house where the murders were happening at the time they were happening!! What are the chances?!?

Last edited:
If you are wondering why the police said targeted and no threat. Probably University control. The Mayor in collaboration with the University probably told the police to say that. All speculation on my part but that’s just how politics works. And as I have said, institutional and agency self preservation outweighs solving crimes sometimes. Sort of like the Mayor of Amity keeping the beach open when jaws was lurking. Expect a lawsuit soon against the University in my opinion.
It's how politics work but this is a mass murder with the eyes of the world upon it.
No way university gets to control FBI as well.
your link is from 2008 and I know universities get the rap when students staying off campus engage in vandalism etc, disturbing the peace etc but murder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
18breighard