ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 18

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep thinking if this was a random thrill kill just for violence and murder, why not pick a house outside of the city limits? I'm sure there are girls living in houses in more isolated places. Or rural area (more gun owners possibly)? It's darker, less used roads, less people, etc.

This house was on a cut-de-sac, so basically surrounded except for tree barrier in the back to apartment building. Main roads with cameras, houses with cameras, foot traffic, car traffic, night owls around the university and even a woman nursing her newborn, etc. Very risky even if using the back!
Lala i did too but maybe all the reasons you explained was the reason!. It's a crazy person who just killed four students (could have been six), maybe the high risk was part of the thrill and to make a statement. MOO

Steve Goncalves, father of Kaylee Goncalves, one of the victims of the University of Idaho murders, speaks out about the case on 'The Story with Martha MacCallum:

From the news video at the link -- dad reveals that he assumed that Maddie and Kaylee were murdered the same bed because he has reason to believe that Kaylee's bed was made. The location of the bodies is NOT info he received from LE and concedes that police probably did not want this info released to the public.

IMO, this father as well as other family members are not receiving critical info from LE to protect the integrity of this investigation that has no POI, no suspect!

I think it's fair to assume that Steve Goncalves is speaking to the media for himself only and info shared is his opinion only. Facts will only be communicated by LE and/or their PIO. MOO

Is that also blood on the shoe in the box?

It does look like blood on the wardrobe door but it's bizarre how that would have happened. I wondered if it's arcing from when the offender has been thrusting the knife up and down?
Well if there is blood outside the house, then it's plausible that the house wasn't built well and it could have dripped from the floor above. What is above these cabinets?

Lala i did too but maybe all the reasons you explained was the reason!. It's a crazy person who just killed four students (could have been six), maybe the high risk was part of the thrill and to make a statement. MOO

To make a Statement? Like what? To whom?

I understood he has a "family plan" and was able to assist LEO on getting into her phone. I can see our family plan phone calls from my computer (but not texts). Maybe it was a patter of phone calls, or lack there of?
If Kaylee had an iPhone and had her text messages selected as being backed up, if they somehow figured out her password to get access to her cloud, it would show a ton of information. Depending on what she had selected to be backed up, it could have deleted photos on it, content of text messages, voicemails, safari browsing history, notes she may have typed to herself, calendar appointments, etc. I don’t know if it’s the default, but my iPhone automatically backs up daily as long as it’s connected to wifi so the information in my cloud is very current so it’s possible hers would be too.

Of course, I don’t know if she had an iPhone or what she may have had in her cloud, if her parents were able to access it. If so though, I bet it would be extremely helpful.

Loose lips sink ships.
My thoughts on conflicting statements. Moscow PD is probably as frustrated at the public statements made by the mayor and prosecutor as we are. Unfortunately, there is nothing they can do about it except plead for them to stop and express their annoyance behind the scenes. The mayor is their boss and the county prosecutor is the chief law enforcement officer in the county.
Normally a mayor is expected by the citizens to make some kind of statement when a major event occurs in their jurisdiction. However, this should be limited to expressing their confidence in their PD and committing to provide the resources need to assist in the investigation. Normally the district attorney or, in this case, the county prosecutor would not begin making public comments until it’s time to prepare for trial other than perhaps commenting on the fact that they are working with the pd to assess probable cause etc. They should not be throwing out the evidence to a wandering journalist.
I think Moscow PD has tried to be as transparent as possible in keeping the public informed. I think their press releases have provided much information to the public, but for some reason, the general public is not satisfied until they parade out a group of LE personnel from all the agencies along with a sprinkling of elected officials to answer questions. Press conferences keep people away from the business of investigating the case and usually devolve into misquotes and/or misinterpretation.
If you live in a small town where 4 horrific murders took place in the middle of the night by a perpetrator who slipped away into the darkness, does LE really have to tell you if it was targeted or random in order for you to take the precautions you should be taking? Back when the Boston Strangler was causing panic in the City and people were buying locks and weapons until the supply ran out, LE begged women not to open their doors to strangers. He continued to kill because folks didn’t listen or they didn’t think it could happpen to them.
Yes, people want answers, but, unfortunately, sometimes answers aren’t immediately forthcoming.
BBM

I disagree: for the first THREE DAYS, we were nonsensically told the opposite by LE because it was a “targeted@ attack so no worries! But for the Herculean efforts by locals as well as local & regional journalists (before parachute reporters arrived in force) demanding clarification for public safety, the LE messaging might still be as stupid, IMHO.

To further clarify, we’ve heard a lot about vigilance & looking out for each other, but I can’t recall if LE has even now suggested locking doors in their pressers or releases. Hope someone will correct me if I’m wrong.

JMHO

From the news video at the link -- dad reveals that he assumed that Maddie and Kaylee were murdered the same bed because he has reason to believe that Kaylee's bed was made. The location of the bodies is NOT info he received from LE and concedes that police probably did not want this info released to the public.

IMO, this father as well as other family members are not receiving critical info from LE to protect the integrity of this investigation that has no POI, no suspect!

I think it's fair to assume that Steve Goncalves is speaking to the media for himself only and info shared is his opinion only. Facts will only be communicated by LE and/or their PIO. MOO

Actually, I interpreted how he answered was yes he knew because LE told him, but that it shouldn’t have been a surprise to other people.

That’s not accurate: LE has from the beginning refused to disclose the locations within the house of the four victims to protect the integrity of the investigation, other than to eventually specify the victims were on the 2nd & 3rd floor.
King Road Homicides | Moscow, ID

Just because reporters may not be aware of something doesn’t change the facts.

No slam on reporters intended!

yes

my ' presumably ' post is 11 hours old. think that was posted hours before Steve's latest interview was broadcast .

I read this recently and it's now much clearer that Steve has assumed

Yeah, that's the kitchen. It's very zoomed in, but to the right of that cabinet is the lower part of the refrigerator door. So what you see is the lower set of cabinets, and the front edge of the countertop.

ETA: Still not sure what the lines coming off of it are, though.
One of the 3rd floor bedrooms is directly over that cabinet. As poorly as the home seems to be built, it does appear to be blood like what is on the outside of the house.

I'd like to think there's 3 scenarios right now from the investigative POV:

1. You have no DNA of the killer

2. You have DNA but no matches in any database.

3. You have DNA with a match

We can rule out 3 since they would have arrested the perp by now. That leaves 1 and 2.

If 1, you may not want to admit that you have no DNA. You may instead probably say, you have DNA and that you are working on identifying who it belongs to. That would probably spook the perp.

If 2, You probably aren't going to say you don't have DNA and you're not going to say you have the DNA for fear the perp might run or commit suicide. The logical thing to do would be to keep quiet.

At this point in the game, I would like to believe the answer is number 2. You have DNA but need time to figure out who it would belong to. If nothing else leads to the perp, I hope this is the case and it's just a matter of connecting the dots genealogically.
Why does everyone mention the perp may commit suicide? The killer has no feelings. Why on earth would he kill himself?

Look at the photo at 9:03 in this video from Fox News. This was taken somewhere up behind the house in the wooded area. I can't tell what this is? Garbage? Garments? IDK.
To me it just looked like the ground had been disturbed there - the leaves were pushed out of the way and you could see the dirt ground underneath.

Impressions from this interview:

- KG's bed was made (it sounds like he was shown pictures), hence I would assume she hadn't completely moved out, even if it was a furnished rental. The sheets would have belonged to her based on my experience in college and the recent college experience of my own child. MOO
- And he also said 'there was nothing in there' and by this the insinuation was no sign of a crime in the room.
- Communication between KG and male once they returned home - family was able to give that info to LE and he did believe there was some relevant information and he thinks it definitely helped them. He said 'the behavior footprint afterwards did definitely get some more things in the works'.
- He spoke inelegantly at the end about whether or not he thought his daughter was targeted. I believe what he was trying to convey was that he was given information by law enforcement that pointed toward a 'behavior difference' (he called it a footprint also) towards one (or more) of the victims (different or more injuries?). Law enforcement explicitly won't let him talk about it. But the followup question got confusing and he changed it to 'behavior of the victims', which I think was just a bad answer to a confusing question. MOO.
Moo… maybe there were text messages found on victims phone that arranged a meeting for the morning with a person. And maybe that person never went to the meeting place (bc that person knew that victim was deceased). Or maybe a text said to call victim back in the morning. Phone never placed.

The residence being targeted is interesting. I would assume this meant targeted for possible robbery/burglary, but they have ruled that out? So what makes the residence “targeted”?
Perhaps the history of the house. I believe the current residents were all new occupants this school year (upper-class members living off campus).

ETA: per Kaylee's sister's earlier interviews.

I very much doubt he had access to Maddie's phone
I very much doubt he had access to Maddie's phone.
It should go without saying that his relationship with her family means they have likely discussed the contents of the cell phones, he doesn’t have to literally have it in his hand to have access to what content was on it… I think you’re taking my comment a little too literally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998