Deceased/Not Found Australia - Lynette Dawson, 34, Sydney, Jan 1982 *husband guilty* #5

Lynette Joy Simms case ‘kept open’ as Chris Dawson jailed for murder​

“It’s unfinished business. Whilst a chapter is closing, the book’s still open … because we still haven’t found Lyn,” Doherty said.

“While the family, rightly so, want to get on with their lives, we will keep this case open … on the hope we do get information that will be able to provide some dignity to Lyn and let the family lay her to rest.”

<...>

Outside court, Walsh said Friday was his last day on Dawson’s case “for a variety of reasons”, and the 74-year-old would be represented in his appeal by senior public defender Belinda Rigg, SC.

Walsh said: “He [Dawson] knows that he will spend, in all probability, the rest of his days in jail unless he is successful in respect of his appeal.”

“It’s unfinished business. Whilst a chapter is closing, the book’s still open … because we still haven’t found Lyn,” Doherty said.

“While the family, rightly so, want to get on with their lives, we will keep this case open … on the hope we do get information that will be able to provide some dignity to Lyn and let the family lay her to rest.”

<...>

Outside court, Walsh said Friday was his last day on Dawson’s case “for a variety of reasons”, and the 74-year-old would be represented in his appeal by senior public defender Belinda Rigg, SC.

Walsh said: “He [Dawson] knows that he will spend, in all probability, the rest of his days in jail unless he is successful in respect of his appeal.”

Solicitor Requests for Public Defenders​

Public Defenders only appear for people charged with serious criminal offences AND who have been granted legal assistance by Legal Aid NSW, the Aboriginal Legal Service (NSW/ACT), or a community legal centre.

Solicitors acting for a client under a grant of legal aid may be required to seek the services of Public Defenders for serious criminal cases.

Lynette's family make final plea to public after Chris Dawson sentence

Greg Simms is reclaiming his murdered sister's name.

After watching her murderer being told he would "probably" spend the rest of his life in prison, Mr Simms asked for one final act.

Since then, the name Lynette Dawson has been in the public spotlight again, but Mr Simms wants that to change.

"Chris Dawson discarded her. The Dawsons disregarded her," he said on the steps of the Supreme Court in Sydney.

"From today on, we would like her to be known and remembered as Lynette Joy Simms.”

Can we henceforth try to honour this in the threads? With the exception of direct quotes from media releases?

The transcript of the judge's summing up and verdict delivered to Dawson.

From what I understand, Dawson , like everyone else in his position , is intending to appeal. Without his current barrister, though, who has, probably wisely, handed Dawson et al onto some one else. One Dawson, plus the brothers, in a lifetime of lawyering would probably be enough for anyone.

The grounds for appeal appear to be very narrow, to me. I think he is left with basing it on some error the judge made in his summing up or in his conclusion, or , and this is problematic for Dawson, that the sentence was manifestly unjust. That last one won't fly. When it's a judge only trial, which Dawson requested and paid for, (believing he probably had a better chance of appealing to a judge man to man, these things happen etc . ) an appeal against a judge's conclusions minus a jury is a convoluted thing, 3 brother/sister judges go over it with a fine tooth comb,

Hamilton was very careful in crossing the T's and dotting the I's, as far as I can see, being an amateur, so I am rather confident that any appeal will not succeed in lowering his sentence, and may, just may, provoke 3 more judges to increase it by a few years, for the hell of it. Been done before.

Last edited:
The Australian has a new article ... in the article Lyn is referred to as Lynette Joy Simms (according to family wishes).

The article says (paraphrased) Peter Dawson was the only Dawson in court supporting his brother.
After the sentencing, he was asked by reporters if he wanted to say anything. He just shook his head and went off to an upmarket bistro with Greg Walsh and Walsh's associate.
It seems that The Australian followed him around - they comment that he ate, drank white wine, paid for the meals, etc - and then as Peter Dawson entered Wynard Station after their meal, he said to the reporter "My brother is innocent, that’s all I’ll say to you”.

<...>

Last day on Dawson’s case “for a variety of reasons.”

Interesting statement that. I suspect Chris Dawson has run out of the money to the extent he now qualifies for legal aid but I also suspect Walsh has had well and truly enough of Chris Dawson and his evil deed.

I understand the Lynette Simms case will be keep open until her body is found, be closure to family but sadly in my heart I don't think it will happen. However I believe IMO we will being hearing more about Chris Dawson history and more of his true nature from other people before and after Lyn's Murder, now he is serving his sentence. As we have heard from Witness 28 in what happened to me.
Few months ago I had closure, my siblings and older family member we had a family gathering they understand Websleuth and what we do. They understood why I follow William Tyrrell and other cases but they notice Lyn's case I was much more intense and waiting on verdict and sentencing, I very stressed. I was asked why as it seemed personal according to them. I opened up, in the 1980's I was with a foster family a terrible one, years later when I learned about Lyn's disappearance years later it left me shaken of the memories of the period being abuse(not sexual but threats by foster brother and friends outside the house) Before and after Lynn's disappearance and murder, foster family member would walk around the house with a knife, or sharpening the knife in the Kitchen. I had a knife held against me many times, even at my neck with the person stating 'I can kill you, tell Mum you attack me , she will believe me we will hide your body no one will find it in bushland tell the Welfare you ran away. No one would look for you or care, this was constantly said/done throughout the year. My older family members told me ," No, we knew something was wrong when we had not heard from you for nearly two years, we were contacting Welfare got no answer or fobbed off with false information, we, your Dad and your Grandparent had a plan wait until your 18th birthday, if we had not heard from you we were going to move Earth and H*ll to find you and what happened.' They had too been following Lynette Simms case (they never told me) they were so glad the Simms family had justice but sadly not closure as Lynn not yet found. My family rang me this morning saying they were pleased of the sentencing and a few choice words regarding Chris and the Dawson Family(I cannot print here.) My Uncle played Ruby in 60's and 70's, he met few arrogant people in the sport but never like (Blank, Blank, Blank.) Chris Dawson.
We hope against the darkness for Lynn to be found, the darkness is vast but hope is a speck of light that can shine through the Darkness.

Last day on Dawson’s case “for a variety of reasons.”

Interesting statement that. I suspect Chris Dawson has run out of the money to the extent he now qualifies for legal aid but I also suspect Walsh has had well and truly enough of Chris Dawson and his evil deed.
I think you’re right on both counts.

I understand the Lynette Simms case will be keep open until her body is found, be closure to family but sadly in my heart I don't think it will happen. However I believe IMO we will being hearing more about Chris Dawson history and more of his true nature from other people before and after Lyn's Murder, now he is serving his sentence. As we have heard from Witness 28 in what happened to me.
Few months ago I had closure, my siblings and older family member we had a family gathering they understand Websleuth and what we do. They understood why I follow William Tyrrell and other cases but they notice Lyn's case I was much more intense and waiting on verdict and sentencing, I very stressed. I was asked why as it seemed personal according to them. I opened up, in the 1980's I was with a foster family a terrible one, years later when I learned about Lyn's disappearance years later it left me shaken of the memories of the period being abuse(not sexual but threats by foster brother and friends outside the house) Before and after Lynn's disappearance and murder, foster family member would walk around the house with a knife, or sharpening the knife in the Kitchen. I had a knife held against me many times, even at my neck with the person stating 'I can kill you, tell Mum you attack me , she will believe me we will hide your body no one will find it in bushland tell the Welfare you ran away. No one would look for you or care, this was constantly said/done throughout the year. My older family members told me ," No, we knew something was wrong when we had not heard from you for nearly two years, we were contacting Welfare got no answer or fobbed off with false information, we, your Dad and your Grandparent had a plan wait until your 18th birthday, if we had not heard from you we were going to move Earth and H*ll to find you and what happened.' They had too been following Lynette Simms case (they never told me) they were so glad the Simms family had justice but sadly not closure as Lynn not yet found. My family rang me this morning saying they were pleased of the sentencing and a few choice words regarding Chris and the Dawson Family(I cannot print here.) My Uncle played Ruby in 60's and 70's, he met few arrogant people in the sport but never like (Blank, Blank, Blank.) Chris Dawson.
We hope against the darkness for Lynn to be found, the darkness is vast but hope is a speck of light that can shine through the Darkness.
I was sad to read this, Shadow. So much of this goes on behind closed doors. So many chilren traumatised, and scarred.

Here is what I think is probable. I think Dawson had help, not paid help, like a hired killer, I am sure he floated the idea but was put off by the cost, all of them being meaner than mean. Someone in his family circle helped him, either during or after the murder, and that someone is the loose unit in the brick wall, as I see it.

One day... one day.. who can ever forget the matinee jacket right under where the body of an English tourist fell at Uluhru? buried for years by a busy dingo, until one sunny afternoon, someone high up on the Rock misses a step and.....

One day, Dawson will face his 'matinee jacket ' moment.

And Dawson still has other charges to face, I do not believe they will be sunk out of the courts calendar, people still have matters of law to resolve with Dawson. All of that will be done by Zoom, no need for him to ever leave his grey walls at all. Gone are the days when court day was an outing for prisoners.

Do you have a link to the “The Teachers Pet” podcast? Or has it been replaced by The Teacher’s Trial?

I’m keen to listen right from the start!

Thanks in advance!
The original podcast is now only available if you are outside Australia. Not sure if you can try with a VPN. They revised the podcast and it is on the Australian website.

Your passage in life growing up in a foster is quite horrific, nobody deserves that to be threatened or be sexually abused as a child or to be picked on at school, sometimes humans brings are the Worst of species. I or anyone else have no right to call you brave for what you've gone through,especially the knife against the throat, because, we.. were not there ,we didn't experience what you experienced , and the feeling of being alone and hopeless, like anyone who's traumatised most times you have to heal yourself or try and forget, try and put everything in the back of the brain, not to be remembered until one day something Sparks that little memory in the back of the brain come out.
I feel for you and I'm sorry you went through What You Did In The Foster Home .
Lynette deserves to come home,

So two reasons to keep the case open.
Trying to find a picture of one of Chris and Paul Dawson's police mates ,cannot find it anywhere on the net, the name Brian Smacker Gardiner ,Manly Detective saw a picture of Brian dying a cancer 2016 Central Coast newspaper very sick, very thin , would Love a picture of him 1982.... see how good we are Websleuths,please find the picture.

Trying to find a picture of one of Chris and Paul Dawson's police mates ,cannot find it anywhere on the net, the name Brian Smacker Gardiner ,Manly Detective saw a picture of Brian dying a cancer 2016 Central Coast newspaper very sick, very thin , would Love a picture of him 1982.... see how good we are Websleuths,please find the picture.
Also Manly detectives, which move to the Central CoastN.S.w. Drug Squad which got in trouble, stealing dealing and protecting drug dealers... pictures of Central Coast Drug Squad detectives who got in trouble

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back