ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
The idea of targeting the house doesn't seem valid to me. What would be the reason to target the house? And let’s say someone hates the house for whatever reason, wouldn't they then harm the house (burn it down, etc?).
A criminal can target a house simply because they know the occupants leave their doors unlocked; it’s easy access, one less hurdle to getting inside.

MOO

The texts says blue light testing. To be honest, the general public, including myself, will hardly know the difference. But you prompted me to go, find the info and educate myself.
A retired crime scene investigator recently discussed differences on yt and said they used bluestar.

BLUESTAR® Forensic produces a stronger and longer chemiluminescent reaction than conventional luminol. It does not require total darkness nor an alternate light source to be seen. BLUESTAR® Forensic allows for good photographs of the revealed blood trace to be obtained with ordinary photographic means.

Just watched the interview with Kaylee's dad. He's mad as hell and I don't blame him. If something ever happened to me, I would want my husband and my dad on every tv show until LE got their act together.

I do think on the manner of death, he may not mean "manner" in the legal sense but physically the injuries were different (slash versus stab). We talked about this in the first week but if one victim had overkill, LE might have immediately thought that one was targeted and it still sounds like that.
I agree, I think by "manner" of death he just meant the specific kind and/or degree of knife injuries inflicted on the victims were different. It could also be that the victims were all killed the same way, but additional injuries were inflicted on one of the girls (most likely Kaylee, IMO) after the fact. For instance, the other three victims could have been "merely" stabbed to death while Kaylee's body was mutilated, beheaded, etc. Sounds like it was an extremely shocking scene to witness, even for LE.

Not sure how to quote from a previous thread, so thanks to @scdiv for posting the following link:

SG says at about the 1 minute mark: "They’ve said the entry point was the slider or the window on the middle floor. So to me, he doesn’t have to go upstairs. His entry and exit are available without having to go upstairs or downstairs."

IMO, and purely speculating, this seems to suggest that X&E were the 'targets'. But if this is true, what motivation would the killer have to keep killing after he already got his targets? Maybe I'm just looking too much into it and am confused by LE's back and forth with the term 'target'

Was it luminol or bluestar?
The key difference between Luminol and Bluestar is that Luminol reacts on iron on hemaeglobine in the blood is comparatively less stable, whereas Bluestar is comparatively more stable. Luminol and Bluestar are important components in forensic diagnosis processes. Bluestar is a luminol-based reagent. It is useful in testing blood for investigative purposes, it could detect traces of blood, washed out fabric with blood. The downside is that it is more expensive than luminol.

And no, we don't know if LE used luminol or bluestar.

Not sure how to quote from a previous thread, so thanks to @scdiv for posting the following link:

SG says at about the 1 minute mark: "They’ve said the entry point was the slider or the window on the middle floor. So to me, he doesn’t have to go upstairs. His entry and exit are available without having to go upstairs or downstairs."

IMO, and purely speculating, this seems to suggest that X&E were the 'targets'. But if this is true, what motivation would the killer have to keep killing after he already got his targets? Maybe I'm just looking too much into it and am confused by LE's back and forth with the term 'target'
I think he means he had to get around Xana and Ethan to get to Kaylee and Maddie. Hence, Xana and Ethan were collateral damage.

Law enforcement is aware that the perpetrator may be closely following this case. So LE is going to be careful about what info they disseminate. With SG being as vocal as he is, LE will likely be extra cautious in giving him info. The sad reality is that LE prioritizes capturing and convicting the perpetrator over giving answers & providing a level of comfort to the families of the victims.
In my experience with my murdered friend, LE at least explained why they could not divulge information. My friend's mother was also upset and angry and channeled her energy to putting up posters in people's cars, business that allowed it, giving carefully crafted interviews.

I would like to hope LE is at least explaining why some things need to be kept quiet. Not being allowed to put up posters (assuming that is anywhere) leaves a gaping hole in the "things a person can do". Some people NEED to feel like they have done EVERYTHING in their power to help catch who did this. It's not just a want. I can't tell you how many businesses I convinced to put a poster in their window when it was "against policy".

KG called 911? Is that new info? Apologies if I missed.
Mr. G says clearly in this video that LE stated the killer came in through the second floor door slider or the window. He didn’t have to go upstairs. Thus if the targets were X and E, there was no point in going to the third floor. I thought Mr. G said she did call 911, but I guess I am mistaken and he said she didn’t call 911.

Last edited:
Re the discussions on the previous thread about putting a 2x2 or some piece of wood to secure the sliding door...
In a big house like that with residents/visitors no one would ever know if everyone is in for the night. But the same solution works in certain window designs, like older ones that slide up.

Living in a small house pretty easy (potentially) to get in, I'm looking for a device I saw once that goes in a doorframe/window frame that has an invisible light stream (laser?) That triggers a very loud chime if the plane is broken by someone's legs. Just being woken up is the point. Also, I use christmas bells outside the house where an intruder would have to pass.

Please tell your college kids to get the little things to protect themse!ves, at least get a head start in defense.

Also, I'm not sure if you can fly with it..but bear spray, bear spray, bear spray. Should be easy to find in the pnw.

Interesting detail on the official December 2 update from Moscow police- says...on the night of the incident, officers located a dog at the residence. I interpret that statement as LE didn't find the dog until later in the evening because at 12 pm it says they found the 4 victims. So was dog in closet or closed off somehow from incident??

Mr. G says clearly in this video that LE stated the killer came in through the second floor door slider or the window. He didn’t have to go upstairs. Thus if the targets were X and E, there was no point in going to the third floor. Mr, G also says that Kaylee did call 911, which he knows from text messages etc. what am I missing here?
He says she didnt' call 911.

In my experience with my murdered friend, LE at least explained why they could not divulge information. My friend's mother was also upset and angry and channeled her energy to putting up posters in people's cars, business that allowed it, giving carefully crafted interviews.

I would like to hope LE is at least explaining why some things need to be kept quiet. Not being allowed to put up posters (assuming that is anywhere) leaves a gaping hole in the "things a person can do". Some people NEED to feel like they have done EVERYTHING in their power to help catch who did this. It's not just a want. I can't tell you how many businesses I convinced to put a poster in their window when it was "against policy".
Why not putting up posters? Like if you have any information or you were in the area before or on 13th and noticed something or someone acting unusually, watching 1122 or behaving suspiciously, please contact that and that numbers?

It will give some purpose, something to do to families.

Can someone explain why that may be a bad idea?

The idea of targeting the house doesn't seem valid to me. What would be the reason to target the house? And lets say someone hates the house for whatever reason, wouldn't they then harm the house (burn it down, etc?).
targeting the house as in it was the right location and lots of pretty women. I do not believe that was the case, but I believe that's a what it would mean in this context. someone did a nice summary of killers who did target specific house types, too. I'd like it but don't recall where it was.

Putting up posters asking for tips would be something positive he could do. I don't necessarily think it will capture the killers but a focus is needed for him until he feels he can stop and grieve. I'd have to work stuff through me in a similar fashion.

Why not putting up posters? Like if you have any information or you were in the area before or on 13th and noticed something or someone acting unusually, watching 1122 or behaving suspiciously, please contact that and that numbers?

It will give some purpose, something to do to families.

Can someone explain why that may be a bad idea?
It has been reported that there are certain restrictions to putting up posters in Moscow, ID. I don't know if the parents have thought the business window or poster stacks at checkout route. The posters in cars was gold because there was no law against that as long as you had mirrors to cover what you could not see on the back side windows.

Mr. G says clearly in this video that LE stated the killer came in through the second floor door slider or the window. He didn’t have to go upstairs as the entrance and the was available to him right there. Thus if the targets were X and E, there was no point in going to the third floor. Mr, G also says that Kaylee did call 911, which he knows from text messages etc. what am I missing here?
No. Context. He says she did not call 911. The sentence after that one explains. imo

A lot of recent updates from K's family in the past few days, as everyone has been discussing here. I think that the killer entering through the sliding door or window on the second floor (per K's dad) solidifies -- at least for me -- that the first level might have been known by the perp, but was not relevant to his plan of attack. <modsnip> I had been firmly in the camp that the killer was not aware of the bedrooms on the first floor, and it's still possible that point of entry was somehow overlooked (both from the inside and outside of the house). Could still be possible, but seems much less likely now.

I did not catch up with the last thread, but did anyone re-post Brian Entin's tweets about last night's search of the house?
I'm really interested in this most recent search: either something compelled them to return and collect additional evidence, or possibly they were trying to re-walk the crime scene in a way that somehow replicated the night of the crime (night time, Saturday night in Moscow). A lot of unfortunate speculation on other sleuthing communities about the surviving roommates as a result of last night's search -- as they are still ruled out as suspects (and IMO they had nothing to do with it, but might have relevant info to the investigation), a potential search of the first floor could mean they are looking for additional evidence of other visitors to the house or proof that the perp visited the first floor (or looked through the window...)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member