ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 26

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I have no hope of catching up with the thread and the news about the white car. Would someone be willing to give me the 3 second update as to what we actually know and what we don't know?
TIA.
Very little news, really. They are looking for a white 2011-2013 Hyundai Elantra. They want to speak with the occupants. It is speculated that they were either witnesses or possibly the perp, car might be stolen. FBI is taking tips on it's location.

I think that's about it.

With all the resources working on this case, LE should have found either the car or its owner by now.

My opinion.

I can’t nail it down. There is something odd about the wording of LE request for information about that car. And yet despite multiple cameras in the area and the best crime lab in the world, they could not ID a license plate, or even apparently any digits or letters.

One of the puzzling parts of this case is that 4 people were killed, and we don't know if any or all were targeted. Further, we don't know the order of the killings. (LE very likely knows from the blood evidence)

In terms of motive, perhaps it was simply attempted rape gone wrong. It's plausible. Perhaps he knew K and M had the upstairs rooms and planned to sexually assault one of them. A knife is terrifying, good for getting compliance with his goal, and quiet if he has to use it. Surprise, they're both in one bed.

He panics as they scream and silences them. K fights back more and enrages him, so her wounds are worse. As he comes down the stairs, X or E confront him and run back to their room. He chases them and kills them. Or... he comes downstairs frustrated and intent on satisfying his sexual urges and starts checking doors for one of the other young women who live there. Surprise again, two more people in one bed.

The advantage of this theory is it provides a reasonable motive. It's probably hard to imagine that after killing two people he could still be intent on rape, but a psychopath might do just that, and be largely unfazed by the killings. Coming down the stairs he might have thought, "That wasn't what I wanted, but I'm not leaving without getting what I came here for."

This isn't my preferred theory, but it's worth considering.

it is possible, but then why not just sneak one out of the house and rape her? that actually happened to a friend's sister, and she was in bed with her husband. a version of that happened with Deangelo.

I’m wondering if that means they’ve had the information re the white Elantra for quite some time and it hasn’t panned out. Maybe their last option was to ask the public…
Asking the public allows for all noted cars of that type to be reported and those owners to be removed. Then, the problem of identifying cars are narrowed to those without a response.

Misinformation is unlikely to be actionable due to the First Amendment.

Per the article, LE did say: "Anyone engaging in threats or harassment whether in person, online or otherwise needs to understand that they could be subjecting themselves to criminal charges," Moscow police said Friday."

I really don't see online threats being pursued for criminal charges. If threats move into real world actions by anyone then yes, that would be potentially actionable IMO.

I am curious if online speech such as threats alone has been enough for someone to be criminally charged in the U.S. Anyone?

BBM
Just my opinion
There is this, somewhat dated.
Supreme Court: Online Threats Aren't a Crime Unless You Really Meant It

Killed 4 with a knife while in bed. Tell me how this could be a tidy scene.
First, I was responding to a question above my post. Second, if this actually were all confined to beds, as you suggest, that alone intimates a contained, rather than a "sloppy," scene.

I think the place was swimming in blood, but said opinion was not the point of my reply.

I can’t nail it down. There is something odd about the wording of LE request for information about that car. And despite multiple cameras in the area and the best crime lab in the world, they could not ID a license plate.
could it be the word 'occupants' instead of 'owner'? that's what it was for me because the sheer number of calls that are going to veer off into crazy town would mean they had to go this route. imo.

I believe it’s a general/regional term. Many in my area refer to any larger folding pocket knife as a Buck knife.
That is a very good analogy.

Older men in my family use the term "buck knife" in the same way.

Another analogy is the term "kleenex" to mean a genuine Kleenex tissue- or any similar tissue. Likewise for smokers: "Let me see your Bic" Bic meaning an actual Bic lighter- or any other similar inexpensive brightly colored plastic lighter.

it came from the parents (Goncalves and others), but since one can assume that the parents didn't tour the crime scene, LE would be the source. I can see LE leaking it via the parents to yank a chain but of course, this is JMO.

I’m wondering if the parents took “there’s a lot of evidence/blood/etc” and heard that as “sloppy.” JMO, but I don’t see them ad necessarily equivalent.

The material is not the issue. It has paneling. Paneling is usually sealed. Seals age and break. Broken seals allow a flow of fluids the cross over the seals. Before technology developed all there was is wood paneling. But the material is not the point.
This conversation stems from homes out here being sealed then morphed into caulked. I have some experience, IME Neither are sealed. Atleast not in the Rockies.

Edited for clarification

Cybercrime is a relatively new crime, maybe seven years maybe longer. Yes you can have criminal charges for harassment and stalking, (felonies). Permanent record if anything is electronic. Stored on hd of all computers.

There is no list per se of 2011 to 2013 white 2011 -2013 Hyundai Elantras in Idaho. Rather, the computerized DMV records can be queried to produce such a list.

All car registration records contain searchable data fields in addition to just the license plate. These searchable date fields are very likely to include model, make year and color. They might even include zip code of registered owners.

So, one just asks the Idaho DMV computer to produce a list of car registration records containing the following data field entries: Hyundai (+) Elantra (+) white (+) 2011 -or- 2012 -or- 2013.

In the unlikely event that the computer does not have a built in feature that allows boolean loop searches of those data fields, IT pros could write a program very quickly to do it.
Ok. Why just Idaho?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member