TX - Athena Strand, 8, Abducted & Murdered By FedEx Contract Driver, Tanner Horner, Paradise, 2022 #2

After reading this (I really didn't want to), I have a very strong impression Athena told him, "I'm going to tell my dad what you did".

The way it's worded: "defendant stated he strangled Athena because she was going to tell her father about her being hit by the FedEx truck the Defendant was operating".

Good girl, Athena! You stood up for the right thing to do, and I'm so sorry that coward hurt you and took you away.
perhaps the only kernel of truth is that Athena was going to tell her father about SOMETHING. I think this I accidently hit her but didn't hurt is so much hooey, but I wonder if she was going to tell her dad about something else he was up to or attempted with her.

I get it. I respect them for their efforts to restore the public's trust--I really do. The problem is though, imo, there's just no way for the average citizen to know who to trust. There really are monsters everywhere and all too often they don't even set off the hinky meter. This applies no matter when, where, how, why and with whom we venture or even when we're home. It's a sad state of affairs with no solution in sight. MOO

I tend not to believe his story. Even though he admitted to killing her, I think there is be a big puzzle piece missing. His statement seems to defy logic.

I agree, it does defy logic. He's probably doing something a lot of criminals do upon being interrogated, which is called "minimizing" their criminal behavior. LE confronts them with evidence that they can't explain away, such as evidence of how a victim died. So they try to minimize their culpability. For example, a rapist may say "Yes, she was in my car and yes, we had sex but the reason she died is that when she got out of the car she fell and her head hit a rock." Instead of the truth, which might be "I forced her to get in my car and I raped her, and then I beat her in the head with a rock."

I realize that we do not know for sure the exact motivation here, but statistics would point to this being a sexually motivated crime given all the factors we do know. So I will just say, on the topic of denial and minimizing, that if you haven't listened to the award-nominated podcast by the Canadian Broadcasting Corp called "Hunting Warhead," you should if you want to understand the type of offender who can escalate to this. The topic of the podcast is an investigation into the vast criminal networks that support and profit on the criminal sexual assault of children. One point that is made in the first episode is that most people who are caught by LE with images of child sexual abuse will not ever admit that they have a problem, or even that they are responsible. Most will keep on denying that they meant to acquire it even when confronted with irrefutable evidence of exactly how they did it. I think Athena's murderer may fit a similar mold but I guess we will see what happens.

PER FOX 4 NEWS::
WISE COUNTY, Texas
- The disturbing details of 7-year-old Athena Strand's death came to light Thursday in a newly filed arrest affidavit for contracted FedEx delivery driver Tanner Horner.

In a confession to investigators, Horner reportedly said he had finished delivering a package at Strand's home in Paradise. He said he was backing up his FedEx truck, when he accidentally hit Athena with the truck.

Horner told investigators that Athena was alive, but was not seriously hurt at the time. He said she was talking to him, even telling him her name.

The delivery driver said he panicked and put her into the van, according to court documents.

Horner then attempted to break the 7-year-old's neck to kill her. When that didn't work, he strangled the girl in the back of the FedEx van.

The delivery driver said he strangled the girl because he was afraid she was going to tell her father that he hit her with the van.

Authorities say Horner then directed investigators to CR 4668 in Boyd, where he dumped her body.

The official cause of death for Athena has not been released at this time.
This sounds like something Brian Laundrie would have said. JMO I'm sure her dad would prefer she be hit by the van and not seriously injured than killing her. How does his statement even make sense. Even if his only goal was to cover his own butt, how was murder the best option? This world lately, smdh. All my opinion only.

The contracting company that hired TH still hasn't revealed details about his employment history or the procedures that he'd undergone to get the job.

Big Topspin Inc. was identified as the company that hired him to work for FedEx. Reporters with the station went to the company's address that was listed in the documents and found a four-bedroom home in northern Dallas. A woman at the house couldn't comment about TH's employment history or the murder but confirmed that her husband owned the company.

A FedEx spokesperson told WFAA that "the employees of these service provider companies are subject to criminal history background checks as part of the driver eligibility process. As is common across the industry and considered standard employment practice, the background check process is administered by a third party."

FedEx didn't reveal details about the hiring processes for Big Topspin Inc. or how many drivers were contracted through the company since individuals employed by service providers have their own employees, vehicles, and equipment.

Tanner Horner employer tightlipped on hiring after Athena Strand murder

I really hope no one believes his "Oops, I hit her and she seemed fine but I had to kill her" story.

He doesn't deserve to ever leave prison. Nor do the perps in the cases we're comparing this to. These cases have premeditation and plenty of time to stop and make a better decision.

Also people who commit sex-crimes don't lose self-control. They know what they're doing. They could always choose not to do it.

Sad story, but I personally don't see Fed Ex having any responsibility here. The thought of a lawsuit against the company...who would really even want the money?

This was a tragic story. I don't think that the stepmother, should be blamed. The only one responsible is the killer.

The contracting company that hired TH still hasn't revealed details about his employment history or the procedures that he'd undergone to get the job.

Big Topspin Inc. was identified as the company that hired him to work for FedEx. Reporters with the station went to the company's address that was listed in the documents and found a four-bedroom home in northern Dallas. A woman at the house couldn't comment about TH's employment history or the murder but confirmed that her husband owned the company.

A FedEx spokesperson told WFAA that "the employees of these service provider companies are subject to criminal history background checks as part of the driver eligibility process. As is common across the industry and considered standard employment practice, the background check process is administered by a third party."

FedEx didn't reveal details about the hiring processes for Big Topspin Inc. or how many drivers were contracted through the company since individuals employed by service providers have their own employees, vehicles, and equipment.

Tanner Horner employer tightlipped on hiring after Athena Strand murder
Considering this monster didn't even have a criminal history (documented with the legal system, anyway), any kind of a background check would have cleared him. Even if he never had a criminal background check, it still doesn't matter as far as he's concerned, since there wasn't any record on file for him. So, this is literally barking up the wrong tree.

After reading this (I really didn't want to), I have a very strong impression Athena told him, "I'm going to tell my dad what you did".

The way it's worded: "defendant stated he strangled Athena because she was going to tell her father about her being hit by the FedEx truck the Defendant was operating".

Good girl, Athena! You stood up for the right thing to do, and I'm so sorry that coward hurt you and took you away.
Sadly for me, I don't think she said she was going to tell her father. I think that is his excuse as to why he killed this poor child. I think he is covering his "butt" and Athena was scared out of her mind. We're dealing with a very sick person who has the ability to talk and make excuses, she doesn't. NOT BUYING CRAP! IMO

Sadly for me, I don't think she said she was going to tell her father. I think that is his excuse as to why he killed this poor child. I think he is covering his "butt" and Athena was scared out of her mind. We're dealing with a very sick person who has the ability to talk and make excuses, she doesn't. NOT BUYING CRAP! IMO
I never believe most statements killers make to police immediately after taken into custody. Whatever TH said was intended to shift blame. i.e. "she said she was going to tell her father so I was forced to kill her to keep her quiet." This is typical blame shifting and just plain stupid.

DEC 14, 2022
The father of Athena Strand, the Wise County girl who authorities say was killed by a contracted Fedex driver earlier this month, has filed a lawsuit against Tanner Horner, the man accused of killing her, along with FedEx and the contractor that hired Horner.

Nearly a week after the 7-year-old was laid to rest, Jacob Strand filed the suit in Wise County against Horner, Big Topspin Inc., and FedEx. He is seeking more than $1 million in damages and a jury trial.

The lawsuit accuses FedEx and the Dallas contractor for FedEx that employed Horner of negligence by hiring Horner, claiming they failed to implement safety policies and procedures.

[...]

Last week, Strand’s mother, Maitlyn Gandy, and her attorney held a press conference announcing they planned to conduct an independent investigation into what FedEx’s responsibility might be and anyone else involved.

The attorney said they're also considering a lawsuit.

[...]

DEC 14, 2022
[...]

Jacob Strand filed the lawsuit Tuesday and argues that FedEx holds “significant control” over employees and contractors who deliver packages. Athena Strand was killed in front of her home by a FedEx driver, 31-year-old Tanner Horner.

The lawsuit also states that FedEx and Big Topspin, the contractor who hired Horner, were negligent and failed to properly supervise and investigate Horner’s past.

Additionally, the lawsuit argues that FedEx delivery drivers have recently committed numerous assaults, rapes and murders across the country, showing a trend of irresponsibility at the company. One example includes a 2022 case in New York where a driver murdered a woman and burned her house to the ground.

“FedEx has continued their normal business operations although it is clear that their current efforts, if any, to ensure, that they are not putting dangerous persons in a position of trust wearing FedEx uniforms, driving FedEx branded vehicles and sending them to the doorsteps of the homes of nearly every person in America is woefully inadequate to avoid endangering the public,” the lawsuit stated in part.

[...]

I hate to even ask but from what I recall, he has no criminal history. I know he was accused of things but no conviction so if a company checks a background on someone, that person is cleared what legal standing do they have? I'm seriously asking.

Last edited:
I hate to even ask but from what I recall, he has no criminal history. I know he was accused of things but no conviction so if a company checks a background on someone is cleared what legal standing do they have? I'm seriously asking.
Not a lawyer but none, in my book. Holding FedEx and/or Big Topspin responsible is baseless IMO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back