ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 29

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had assumed that as it is a rental home which turns over periodically for student housing, the bed would stay behind. Typically these student homes are furnished.
I’ve never seen a furnished college rental in my college town, only short term type places for business folks
I co-signed leases when my daughter was in college, a group would rent from landlords or big property management companies for the entire home, definitely not individual rooms as I’ve seen queried on here.
On occasion if one student was gone for the summer they may sublet out their own room but other roommates would want to agree on the human in mind

Why is #2 such an issue for so many people? This house was quite large, 3 levels, and those levels were not directly on top of levels below. If their bedroom doors were locked, why would the killer confront them? Their bedrooms were on the 1st floor with the main door entry so it's likely that they often locked their bedroom doors. Many people sleep soundly, play white noise and other things to make sleep easier. The ME said that these murders were quick so IMO, there wasn't some long stretch of screams and banging, etc. We've been told by LE that the 2 surviving roommates were sleeping and didn't awake until later the next morning. I don't see why it should debated otherwise.
Except if you are new to the thread?

I think it's a great question because every assumption here is just that. Where did LE say the surviving roommates were sleeping until late the next morning? If so, how would LE verify that? I'm not saying it's not true. We know LE "cleared" the surviving roommates.

The 911 call being made late Sunday morning is just one fact. What the caller/phone owner was doing prior to that is unknown.

Last edited:
I still don't subscribe to the notion that this killer needed to be some sort of seasoned serial murder veteran or ex-military/special forces individual who lost the plot and decided to take out a house full of college aged individuals in a reasonably rural University community.

When you look at who the victims were, the location of their home, supposed time of the murders and a multitude of other factors, I think it's much more likely they knew their killer. Without needing to build a boogie man preying on young helpless victims and came across the perfect opportunity by chance, I can easily imagine it being someone who flew under the radar so to speak.

IMO, I can help shake the idea that the perp is an individual(s) close to, or in the social orbit of one or more of the victims. That is to say he (or they) had been to the house previously. At the very least, he was aware of who lived there in some capacity and knew the general living situation of some or all of the occupants. The perp(s) would likely be an INTJ style personality who harboured a killing fantasy, likely for a long time. Someone somewhat introverted and observant, maybe a bit of an outcast socially or was even generally unliked by the "in" crowds within the college community. Alternatively it's someone who was able to mask those sick thoughts and integrated himself (or themselves) well without alerting anyone to anything that would raise any red flags.

Without being overly morbid, think about how this would go down from a potential perp's perspective. If you fit the profile I've outlined above and you were targeting any or all of the victims, all that's fundamentally needed is the weapon and to know the location of the property and have a very basic plan of exit back to a safe location.

Waiting for the "opportunity" would be an incredible adrenaline rush to this person who has mentally planned this scenario out countless times before, and once finally in motion would be impossible to stop. Waiting inside the house itself, or (IMO) the more likely scenario of posting up behind the property in the tree line with a total view of the back side of the house is how I see this going down. In this theory the perp would likely have followed X/E or K/M home, or was waiting behind the house AFTER the 1am arrival of D/B. This would explain why D/B were left untouched, as the perp would have likely watched X/E and K/M arrive only 10 minutes apart just before 2am, and congregate on the 2nd floor together before heading to bed, lights flicking on and off giving the perp the impression that the "house" consisted of only those 4 on this particular night. From this vantage point you would clearly see where the rooms were, and quite possibly even heard laughter and chatter coming from the group before calling it a night.

As soon as the house fell silent long enough for the perp to jump into action, entry is gained from the sliding door on the 2nd floor. Once inside the perp knew there were 4 people split over the two levels. K/M likely taken out first - noise levels at this time are unknown, and the speed of which the killings took place are unknown as well, but I assume it was enough to potentially stir X/E. Regardless of the order, we don't know if there were screams or if it was done in relative silence.

Trying to stay away from the beginning of this segment but in regards to the 911 call- this is a very interesting theory. There have always been 2 thoughts in my head. First was that reporting an unconscious person (assuming they meant one of the victims) was incredibly strange when considering the amount of blood that was reported to have been present. Second, after reading a post on this thread pages and pages ago about the 911 script, I had decided it made sense that the report of an unconscious person was just an answer to “is the victim conscious”?
I am completely thrown for a loop with the theory that the unconscious person was one of the surviving roommates that had fainted after seeing the crime scene. I would love to hear that 911 call once this case is solved.
I’m interested to hear everyone’s thoughts on this.
RBBM
You will find extensive commentary from the early days of the case forward about this possibility.

IMO, an edited 911 script should be released. It is public information.

JMHO

Trying to stay away from the beginning of this segment but in regards to the 911 call- this is a very interesting theory. There have always been 2 thoughts in my head. First was that reporting an unconscious person (assuming they meant one of the victims) was incredibly strange when considering the amount of blood that was reported to have been present. Second, after reading a post on this thread pages and pages ago about the 911 script, I had decided it made sense that the report of an unconscious person was just an answer to “is the victim conscious”?
I am completely thrown for a loop with the theory that the unconscious person was one of the surviving roommates that had fainted after seeing the crime scene. I would love to hear that 911 call once this case is solved.
I’m interested to hear everyone’s thoughts on this.
I think it’s funny that the DM reporter thinks the 911 call is the biggest mystery in this case… I can think of a few other bigger mysteries!

I think it’s a script question: Is the person conscious or unconscious. And I think the door to the room was locked so the caller didn’t see the victim, didn’t see the blood.

MOO

Not that we have actual confirmation on the knife - but you can buy a KA-BAR with a serrated edge.

Reactions: nao
Some were killed in their bed. All were probably sleeping when the attack started. Not accurate that all four were killed in bed. Killed with a large knife, previously described as a hunting knife, wounds cannot be described as "puncture wounds."

"Of the four University of Idaho students who were found stabbed to death in a rental house last Sunday, some were killed in their beds, the Latah County coroner told CBS News Friday.

Coroner Cathy Mabbutt would not provide any further details. She noted, however, that earlier media reports stating all four victims had been murdered in their beds were not accurate.

On Thursday, Mabbutt told CBS News the students were killed with a "larger knife," expanding on the autopsy reports which concluded the four victims were stabbed to death.

According to Moscow police, the coroner said all four victims were likely asleep, some had defensive wounds and each was stabbed multiple times. There was no sign of sexual assault, police said."

“It was a pretty large knife so it’s really hard to call them puncture wounds."

I think it's true that police never would have released that video cam if that incident had anything to do with the murders.

Concerning a reward, I'm not sure how much good it would do. LE are already being flooded with tips. Offering a reward could result in many more unneeded tips police have to follow through with.

The SM harassment is out of control. It happens in every single case I've followed. Innocent people are called out and accused of horrible crimes. Even the families of the victims are harassed. It happened in the Dylan Rounds case and the investigation into Kiely Rodni's accidental death. People actually criticized Kiely's grieving mother when she publicly pleaded for the SM harassment of Kiely's friends to stop and let the community grieve in peace.

They are relentless and I hope they do face charges if they've accused and harassed people close to the investigation on line.
What is SM everyone refers to??

I wouldn't be surprised if the vehicle left the Moscow city limits, so finding which direction is the first goal. I doubt the vehicle is more than 20 miles from Moscow because it's hard to put together someone living in another state, and planning a targeted 3 AM mass murder at a student rental in Moscow. The targeted/plan fact seems to require someone who is in the area more often.

imo, I'm not so sure. the killer could be from pullman, WA only 15 minutes away. Spokane is an hour and a half, ditto for Coeur d'Alene, a couple of hours to Kennewick, WA. Home before daylight.

IMO, an edited 911 script should be released. It is public information.

JMHO

They're not public information during an investigation.

Some say the longer this goes on, the more they suspect a random serial killer. I’m not *quite* there yet.
I do not believe this was random. It just seems way too personal. Just a gut feeling. MOO

imo, I'm not so sure. the killer could be from pullman, WA only 15 minutes away. Spokane is an hour and a half, ditto for Coeur d'Alene, a couple of hours to Kennewick, WA. Home before daylight.

They're not public information during an investigation.

that sand road escape possibility is haunting. Sand rd is just nothing for miles it seems

Jumping ahead to reply

@cottonweaver
The way he described the Hyundai appeal, sounds to me that they think occupant/s of Hyundai might just be potential witnesses (not occupant/s they suspect of being directly involved)

anybody else interpret it that way?

IMO it's intentionally worded that way. To put whomever at ease. If the person(s) in the Elantra were just a witness (someone in the area by chance at that time) they would have come forward by now. If you know you have not committed the crime but were there for whatever reason you'd have come forward by now.

This is why I think all of the victims were targeted. They may not have been targets until he actually entered their rooms and found them there, but I think he planned to kill anyone in that house he came across.
Do you mean, entered each room while they were sleeping ? Why leave the two on the first floor ?

I hadn't heard of that - what's the source for it? The slider is on the second floor, opens onto the kitchen. I know that LE said they think he came in that way - but I hadn't heard there was an almost full palm print.

Anyone? Anyone got that link?
It was the sliding glass door off the kitchen that had the full palm print on it. It was visible in photos taken from outside while investigators were inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member