ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 42

Status
Not open for further replies.
He probably left DNA all over the crime scene. It's possible his DNA was under at least one of the victims' fingernails, and his blood may have mingled with theirs (according to a forensic expert I heard interviewed, mingled blood is not a deterrent to identifying the DNA of all those who contributed blood). I would guess the police had a DNA profile very quickly. Kudos to the much-maligned LE for solving this as quickly as they did! They used all the technology, including genealogical DNA databases, at their disposal, and the fact that BK drove a white Elantra sealed the deal. They apparently had BK in their sights for several days before they arrested him, and they tracked him as he traveled back to PA (he apparently arrived around Christmas). I hope this brings the victims' families some peace. Thank goodness this person is in custody before he hurts anyone else! I can't believe that the Moscow murders would have been his last crime. The next step will be identifying a motive. I'm sure we will be learning a lot more about this guy's psychological profile in the coming weeks, but at present all we can do is speculate about mental illness and personality disorders. Personally, I'd be surprised if he's not psychotic, but that's just my own opinion.
BBM. As a criminology student he was probably well aware of leaving DNA behind, if he did not come prepared. Yet he likely didn't expect to get caught.

Okay here is a weird theory. What if he was an accomplice? What if some other person, that was closer to the victims was also involved? Gonna be curious to see what if any connection he had to the victims.
I think that possibility may still be open. His comment to LE asking if he was the only arrest is interesting. I'm sure it could be just a pre-thought out rabbit trail, but it's also possible he was encouraged/inspired/assisted by someone. A potential accomplice wouldn't have had to be physically involved in the crime, but could have helped to plan it, etc. <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
And there are also reports of him being bullied. All of this is rather irrelevant IMO because its a bunch of people trying to feel important by having a loose connection to him. “He had weird eyes when I went to high school with him 10 years ago, I am not surprised.”

I never understand these comments. Its typically people wanting some sort of social media recognition.
This is exactly what I think too. We are just anxious for more information about this guy, but legit info will come in time. These early hot takes may or may not pan out. MOO

The guy is not smart. You don't go into a large home that likely holds many residents. Anyone knows that -- and he is studying for a PhD in criminology?? JMO.
You would think if he studied this, he would have left his car back home and just travelled on foot with a backpack to change clothes. The distance from Pullman to is just 8 miles, going back and forth between Pullman and Moscow would have taken him a few hours at best.. Thank God he isn't a very bright individual

I saw a discussion this afternoon on CNN with some guest experts discussing how its not unusual for killers to have studied criminology in school - BTK and Ted Bundy were a couple of killers they mentioned. IIRC, the experts said its less likely they use the study of criminology to replace or subvert their own drive to kill. Instead, studying criminology at college or night school is a way to supplement their knowledge and provide a socially acceptable outlet for their interests.
Profilers are like horscopes and fortune cookies, but I take the point.

Disclaimer: my opinion or speculation.

If this guy was so concerned about meat being prepared in pots & pans how on earth did he eat out? Did the guy ask how good was prepared when he ordered? Even some burger places warm/ toast the bread/bun on the same surface as the meat.

Was just thinking about that and decided to post. Doesn’t require an answer.

BBM. I doubt someone would made that part up. I would not be surprised at all to find that he was obsessive.

Im not either.

One thing to have pots and pans in your home for certain foods but to go or be in someone else’s home and ask/demand that is a little much and would be directed to the door.

Jmo

That's what I think too. Somebody likely reported that he had an Elantra. Police then can follow him and collect DNA from something he discarded for comparison.
No, apparently this is how it happened -- not through his own DNA but through genetic genealogy It's been posted on this thread before:

"Authorities narrowed their focus to Kohberger after tracing his ownership of a white Hyundai Elantra seen in the area of the killings, according to two law enforcement sources briefed on the investigation. Kohberger’s DNA has also been matched to genetic material recovered at the off-campus house where the students were stabbed to death, according to the sources.

Genetic genealogy helped investigators identify the suspect, a source with knowledge of the case said. DNA found in Idaho was taken through a public database to find potential matches for family members, the source said. Once potential family matches were found, subsequent investigative work by law enforcement led to the identification of Kohberger, according to the source."

MOO this looks like an Incel murder. Revenge on “women.”

And there are also reports of him being bullied. All of this is rather irrelevant IMO because its a bunch of people trying to feel important by having a loose connection to him. “He had weird eyes when I went to high school with him 10 years ago, I am not surprised.”

I never understand these comments. Its typically people wanting some sort of social media recognition.
Yeah, it's a kind of bias confirmation.

I think people see what they want to see when they realize they've been interacting with a criminal, especially a cold-blooded murderer.
True that and the internet is wild and journalists desperate.
Nothing makes any sense at all at this stage.

I understand his social media has been removed but people are claiming they saw it even though it was most likely removed prior to his arrest.

LE have played an absolute blinder here.
Not a single detail leaked, nothing at all.

But the frenzy is frenzied, as always.

Just signed up on here .. had to put my opinion into the mix. I'm hedging that DNA / genealogy was the big ticket, along with the car. FBI likely followed him and got DNA from trash or something in PA, either from him or family member. Also, very curious if this was his first killing. Also hedging he'll do a plea deal, to stay alive.
I can agree with this. Just from what I've read so far and I've had not training in the mental health field, but this guy I would bet has been an odd duck his whole life. I think he knew he was different in some way and never felt like he fit in. I'm wondering if he might even plead guilty and forego a trial. Prison and being around other murders/prisoners might be just what he wants, JMO

I think he was smart enough to wear gloves, so there were probably no cuts on him, in my opinion. I hope one of his victims scratched him on his face or neck in their fight for life, and so his DNA was under their fingernails. If not that, then one or more of his hairs fell during the attack and his DNA was recovered that way.

Respect to LE and the crime scene investigators and technicians for his capture! I am sure it was not easy to test all the found DNA in that house==there must have been hundreds of visitors who left DNA all over the place I am sure!
Yes, this whole outcome totally surprised me!

Thanks to whoever posted daily mail link. It would be interesting to hear what criminologist Katherine R has to say about her student POI BK. Article noted his key interest was in forensic psychology, and he previously studyed under famed criminologist KR. MOO
No doubt he fantasized about what she and other profilers would say about the individual who committed this crime, imo.

Sociopaths tend to be that way (neat and orderly) perhaps because they seem to have very clear and focused mental faculties and don't get easily distracted. Sociopathic killers get themselves caught because they don't feel physical anxiety, which leads them to becoming cavalier about things they know on a cerebral level that they should be concentrating on.
Where oh where are you getting this from?

Neuroscience has answered the question of why sociopaths feel "less" anxiety but the clear mental focus and not easily distracted parts are new to me and seem to contradict the work of Dr. Robert Hare on their impulsiveness. Fill me in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288