ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 45

Status
Not open for further replies.
BK could have purchased the murder weapon from a knife and gun show. I don't believe he would have used a credit card or any other way that he could be tracked. I believe he has it stashed somewhere.
Or marketplace.

I'm surprised the public defender didn't ask if his client had been driving or whether or not a ticket was issued. How could LaBar not be interested. It doesn't seem impossible that they were stopped because of nationwide bulletins on the car. Yes I know it was a 2015. Would it be SOP for the first pd to pass off his client's records to the pd in the second state?
Maybe the FBI needed to slow them down? They had local LE pull them over?

MOO it’s a big deal, could get the car evidence tossed unless there is DNA or other evidence it.
The difference between the wheels are immediately apparent.

I don't see where you are getting all of this from. If they only have video of the car in motion there will be no distinguishing features about the wheels visible. Second, every model car has several wheel option depending on trim level. Without knowing specifically what wheels are on his car and what are on the online comparison vehicle I don't see how you can make any sort of determination.

Also, even if it is a misstatement it would not get the evidence tossed. They would just need to explain what they used to conclude it has evidentiary value.

Do you think he kept the knife

Do you think he kept the knife to revisit it near Pullman, or at his parents place?
What are your thoughts on taking trinkets from the scene?

I believe he kept the knife. I don't believe he would have put it somewhere in the house.

I also am leaning towards this not being as planned as others think it might have been. He seems to have made a lot of mistakes for someone who would have spent months planning this. SURELY, with all of his studies, he had to have known the resources that would have been given to this group to solve 4 murders on a college campus?

I’ve also wondered if he took pictures or even a video of the crime. As he does not seem to have a social media presence- his intention would not be to share online to a community.
To revisit the crime scene virtually, I think so
To have them become part of historical record like other killers he has studied, I think so

I agree that he may intend to play games, where is the evidence Nov 13-Dec 30??

Someone has convinced him he is brilliant, and the media seems convinced. He cannot be.
A smart kid takes advanced courses in high school, receives a scholarship, graduates with a bachelors at 21 like Kaylee. and could do masters at 23, PhD by 25
Not genius to earn a MA at 28, he is FIVE years behind peers
This means he has always been one of the oldest in his college classes, he doesn’t fit

Why an inflated sense of self? Psychology is not the path of a criminal genius.
Psychology is toward neuroscience, a BA and MA avoids the math and science.
A PhD would include graduate level statistics. Where is his math and science background?

I guess he chose the knife because it is close and lets off anger and shows he is physically strong. But, that came with consequences…and he does not understand the nature of a stabbing in terms of forensic evidence- arterial blood spurt, blood splatter, cast off, DNA.

We overestimated this guy
So, What was his point? A degree began, a crime done halfway, a poor application of what he had learned?
The stabbings of four intoxicated young people in their sleep
Eluded capture for not quite two months
In hindsight this crime can’t be viewed by him or anyone as genius Or a Perfect Crime

It seems the criminal flop of an educated socially awkward c<modsnip - off topic> does it not?
A wake of destruction- and fear- for what?

JMO
Personally I do not see any issues with his age while attending college. Not everyone comes from a well do family with the financial resources or the encouragement to continue their education.
Not everyone has clearly established goals at a young age; life circumstances such as Military Service, becoming a parent at a young age, battling illness etc. can be barriers.
I graduated High School and received a 2 year Associates degree at 19. Sixteen years later I continued college, taking afternoon and evening classes in pursuit of my Bachelors of Science degree while working full time. I received my degree (summa *advertiser censored* Laude) at age 43.
Many people in my classes were my age or younger.
Higher education has no barriers other than determination.

I can't like this post enough.

I have seen this on a smaller scale with younger people. Pre-teen (transition age) and younger. My experience is limited, but I've had some children stand out, but one in particular. I was working in private school situation for children with special needs. The majority of the children had downs, MR, non verbal autism, cp. Some behaviors but nothing that schedules, boundaries and calm setting couldn't overcome. I'll never be certain how it happened (but I assume it was misplaced and naive "compassion), but we accepted a child (9) who had been expelled from 2 other schools. He had some DXs (that I don't believe were compatible with the children who were enrolled). But.. he was enrolled. Long story short, this kid could smell weakness from a mile away. He would pinch, trip, etc children who were vulnerable. He understood he could get away with doing things to those who couldn't speak and he was also adept at picking the perfect opportunity and moment when adults were distracted. He was also very physically affectionate. Uncomfortably so. The principal and psych did not want to hear any of it. They took this child under the proverbial wing. They were going to save him. He didn't last long and his tenure there ended up with him stomping another non verbal boy who had autism and CP. The boy who was stomped spent 3 days in the hospital.

I found out later that this child was sexually abused by his siblings while his mother partied. A few years after the above incidents, he placed his infant brother in an outdoor public trash can because he was tired of
hearing him cry. That culminated in him being institutionalized until 18 (which is coming up shortly). Heaven help us all.

Sometimes, things are too "wrong". Sometimes, it's too late. Sometimes, a person is too damaged. And sometimes, people naively try to "save" these extremely damaged people instead of protecting those innocents around them.

Imho.
I am a newbie to WS and I must say that your post and the one by 10ofRods to which you responded (It's #84, as I'm not sure it will be repeated as I post this) are perfect examples of why I have found this site so remarkable. This terrible event in Idaho is intriguing in and of itself and it has been fascinating reading the “facts”, the real facts, and the many theories regarding the perpetrator and his actions and motivations. But what I really have appreciated are the insights that many contributors here bring to my understanding of human nature, and particularly when human nature goes wrong. I’m an old guy (turning 70 this year) and I’ve seen a lot of good and bad over the years in both my personal and professional life. I’ve learned a lot, but mostly what I’ve learned is I have a lot to learn! I really appreciate the thoughtfulness and willingness to share by the folks here. There is nothing any of us can do to help those poor young souls who had their lives snatched away nor much if anything we can do for their families. But I believe that the sharing of insights and knowledge that is occurring on this forum will help someone down the line – maybe in a little way; maybe in a big way (IMO). So, I just want to say thanks to those of you who put in the effort to help us all understand a little more.

I wouldn’t be surprised if BK had a close confidant who he confided to about the murders and went over with in extensive detail how he committed the murders. This person and or persons may have not played an active role in the murders but they were well aware of his actions on the morning of Nov 13.

Which is a possible reason why BK said to the arresting officers: did you arrest anyone else for these crimes?

JMO
I was thinking that he asked the question..:"Have you arrested anyone else?" as a calculated point in time reference as if to indicate his innocence....
I also have to consider if any discussions on the phone or by way of parabolic microphones were captured in the time between his arrival at his parent's home and the 3 a.m. arrest. The disclosure to the defence will most certainly include everything that LE had assembled in order to harvest a conviction by the prosecutor. Furthermore the fact that the prosecutor chose to address the matter at the earliest point in time at the Friday news conference speaks volumes about his confidence in obtaining a conviction.

I find it really disturbing how some seem quick to blame BK's parents by speculating that they coddled him, told him he could do no wrong, etc., when AFAIK there have been zero reports of them doing so.

100%. There is virtually nothing known and many seem ready to write a family history. Until something is released showing they somehow contributed to this they are victims like everyone else.

It could mean a lot IMO.

Possibly BK became a suspect sometime on or just before December 7 (the day the contractor was at the scene) and LE was aware of his HVAC background and wanted all the vents checked for the weapon?
On the subject of HVAC, is it possible that the victims had been drugged by a substance in the ventilation system? I haven't followed the case as closely as many (or most) of you, but I can't understand how four people were murdered so violently without anyone hearing them. I get that they had been partying and might have been intoxicated, but were there no screams or sounds of a struggle by any of the victims? I had wondered about carbon monoxide poisoning earlier, and now that I've learned about BK's (alleged) knowledge of HVAC, I can't help wondering if something like this happened. JMO

I feel if they didn’t make a statement people would be disgusted by that as well! Unfortunately, this is not a win, win either way. The statement is probably more about family/self preservation. If this family had NO knowledge or indication of BK’s ability to carry out such a horrendous act I truly feel sorry for them. Incredibly sad!
agreed, any statement will be too much to some and not nearly enough to others. It's a no win situation this family finds itself in. I don't find anything odd or horrible in them saying we support our son as he faces what comes next in the justice system.

I would imagine that I would still love my child even when accused of a horrible crime and pray that (s)he would be exonerated as more facts came out. I don't know many families that would, upon their child being accused of murder, jump up and say I believe their guilt, disown this person and disavow any knowledge of their crime.

LaBar told Law&Crime’s Angenette Levy that Kohberger spoke with law enforcement for five to 15 minutes at the Pennsylvania State Police barracks following his arrest early last Friday morning.

Initially, Kohberger waived his Miranda rights but then requested an attorney. LaBar said Kohberger told him that police asked his client if he understood what was going on, and he responded by saying something to the effect of “yes, certainly I’m aware of what’s going on. I’m 10 miles away from this.” Then, LaBar said, Kohberger invoked his right to counsel and asked for an attorn…
…….
Kohberger’s extradition hearing will be held Tuesday afternoon in Monroe County at 3:30 p.m. Eastern Time. He could be returned to Idaho shortly thereafter.

Why did he choose WSU?
I can’t see a connection at WSU to what I assume are his interests.
Any ideas?

These are topics of recent publications by CJ at WSU.
  • Legalization of Marijuana and CJ
  • Gender and CJ
  • Pronouns of Arrest
  • LGBT And CJ
  • Domestic Violence
  • Corona and Prisons

WSU CJ Recent Publications

JMO
Many times, graduate programs are chosen based on quality of the program + whether they accept you + financial aid offer. It might end up seeming like an odd choice from the outside. MOO

Where is "Attorney / Client Priveledge". Lebar sure seems to be talking an aweful lot.
KTBV

all IMHO

So just throwing this out there.
Public defender Lebar says BK is “MENTALLY STABLE“ in NBC KTBV interview per above link. Defender throws that in there when being asked about BK’s previous drug use and such.

Lebar will be passing the buck in the next day or two to Idaho but he wants to be sure the world knows that BK is not going to get anywhere with an insanity defense.

I think some of these defenders must privately LOATH and despise their assigned clients.

again IMHO

There is always that presumption of “how in the world” can they actually believe their client is innocent. I think most of the time they don‘t believe it (public defenders) but they are walking a tightrope- required to defend the guilty (or innocent upon occasion.)

Despite all the speculation about HERITABLE mental illness and BK, there is no way his defense is going to get very far with an insanity defense- even if he is soon diagnosed with schizophrenia, bipolar, borderline or anything equally major.
Even if he has already been clinically diagnosed with any of the above or if anyone in his immediate family has been formally diagnosed.
Even if he is currently rolled up in a little mute ball on the floor.

BK consciously chose to commit a horrific, calculated and premeditated crime.

Obviously his poor family knows exactly what he did with their EXTREMELY WELL SELECTED verbiage of caring for the victims FIRST and “promoting HIS presumption of innocence.”
Notice they are already distancing themselves. They must be mortified & devastated.
This wording in their statement was very, very well thought out.

My heart honestly goes out to his parents and sisters.
Mom and sister have good hearts and feel great empathy per their previous postings regarding school shootings and such.
What a horrific nightmare for them. What a public shaming. And of course you love your children- no matter what they do- I can not imagine a worse heartache.
How can you raise a child with such intrinsic evil and no empathy when you are a good person?

BK knew exactly what he was doing and had no empathy for the devastation he left in his wake. He planned a slaughter.

I hope he is remorseful for what he has done to his parents and sisters now that he has been caught - even if he isn’t remorseful about what he did to the families and friends of his four innocent victims.

Until we see that dad’s plane ticket was bought before the murders, I’m staying skeptical about the car trip being “pre-planned.”
Interesting he doesn’t want to speak to the claims of bullying.
I’m still stumped on if the dad flew into Seattle then into Spokane, did he rent a car to drive to BK’s apartment? Did BK pick him up and one or both drove to BK’s place?

Thinking multiple knives used, likely same type tho. JMO.

MOO.. Maybe his dad driving across state with him was planned by BK in advance and unbeknown to his dad, he fitted in with the plan willing to keep BK company, not knowing it was BK’s agenda all along…. Two men driving a white Elantra - father and son - is less suspicious than one male trying to leave and travel across the country.

Q - where was the car parked day to day at his student home?
If he’d planned it that carefully, he wouldn’t have driven the Elantra to the scene in the first place.

I feel if they didn’t make a statement people would be disgusted by that as well! Unfortunately, this is not a win, win either way. The statement is probably more about family/self preservation. If this family had NO knowledge or indication of BK’s ability to carry out such a horrendous act I truly feel sorry for them. Incredibly sad!

I agree. I don't blame the family at all. Especially if they had no knowledge and this came as a complete shock. I also don't fault them for thinking he is innocent. Most people are going to believe their kids when they tell them something, and most are going to believe the best about those they love.

Nah...They arrest when they feel it most prudent for the case.
Usually:
  • When they have enough evidence
  • Fear they could lose evidence.
  • Fear that a suspect could flee
  • Fear that a suspect could harm someone
Generally they avoid arresting until they have collected enough evidence. Sometimes they will arrest if they feel the suspect could harm someone/flee etc.

MOO: I feel in this case, they had enough evidence at the time. There is also the fear that delaying could loose evidence. (A hypothetical example would be, if BK had plans with his car) MOO
Agree. And to prevent avoid the suspect’s suicide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
renovationsnet