ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 48

Status
Not open for further replies.
Run of the mill arraignments don’t have national media on the Courthouse steps. When I practiced in NYC people routinely hid their faces to avoid snarky comments from the New York Post. Only the white collar criminal defense attorneys are standing proud hoping the WSJ runs a picture.

This is why I love WS. While we don't get a lot of face-hiding people here where I live, we are also not a group of people who walks around with our faces being recognizable (the many suburbs of SoCal, no one remembers anyone and we truly are in our cars most of the time). NYC is much more personal, or at least that's my impression of it. Still, NYers (to me) often look pretty unperturbed in general.

These parents are older (I guess they are Gen X? Maybe Dad is a Boomer - hate what that has come to mean, but hopefully you get my drift).

I feel that the parents' reaction is so sad, so heartbroken. We're watching them in their most dire moment, a moment that almost no one has ever experienced. And in the first moments of that, with sleepless nights behind them. People saying that they would *plan* to hide in a circumstance like this are not the same as these parents, who never thought they'd be facing this.

Their son is responsible for their pain and shame. It's awful.

Thanks, you anticipated my response.

BK will have his day in court, and I've no doubt it will be fair and just.
I only wish the students could have somehow escaped or tackled him to the ground, and thus still be alive and well.
On that terrible night, there was no justice afforded to them at all and it's the four who need justice now !
This is a discussion board and as such we are allowed to discuss the suspect/accused.
Even if convicted, the ruin and devastation BK has brought down on all is forever.
This whole thing is horror movie stuff. Sleeping college kids attacked with a knife. The killer out of central casting.

""He was definitely kind of a creepy guy," Stinchfield told the paper, adding that Kohberger seemed to grow distracted and was "looking a lot worse" after the November 13 murders.

... [...] ...

Another student who had Kohberger as a teaching assistant told the paper he "didn't really seem like he wanted to be there" as the semester approached its end and that her professor was frustrated by Kohberger's efforts in the class."

Bryan Kohberger Live Updates: Idaho officials hush on Kohberger's return

Sounds like he was unraveling after the murders, and IMO, probably couldn't wait for his dad to come get him and do their preplanned drive back "home for the holidays".

If I were a betting person, I would bet he wasn't planning to go back to WA after the holidays, and this trip back to PA was his escape and way of distancing himself around 2,000 miles from the area where the crimes had been committed, and taking the car being looked for in connection to the murders with him.

I wouldn't be surprised if this has been his modus operandi in the past -- to commit a crime by stealth & then move far away as soon as possible without drawing too much attention to himself. JMOO

#4 sounds like the SODDI defense.
Very much so. It's a strategy a defense will try when there is no other plausible way to create reasonable doubt. The attorneys for Mollie Tibbetts' killer attempted this when he spun his obviously nonsensical and made up tale about random guys kidnapped him and made him go with them to the crime scene. Jodi Arias did something similar.

We all know it's BS but when your client is on trial for literally their life, you have to try anything you can.

""He was definitely kind of a creepy guy," Stinchfield told the paper, adding that Kohberger seemed to grow distracted and was "looking a lot worse" after the November 13 murders.

... [...] ...

Another student who had Kohberger as a teaching assistant told the paper he "didn't really seem like he wanted to be there" as the semester approached its end and that her professor was frustrated by Kohberger's efforts in the class."

Sounds like he was unraveling after the murders, and IMO, probably couldn't wait for his dad to come get him and do their preplanned drive back "home for the holidays".

If I were a betting person, I would bet he wasn't planning to go back to WA after the holidays, and this trip back to PA was his escape and way of distancing himself around 2,000 miles from the area where the crimes had been committed, and taking the car being looked for in connection to the murders with him.

I wouldn't be surprised if this has been his modus operandi in the past -- to commit a crime by stealth & then move far away as soon as possible without drawing too much attention to himself. JMOO
bolding mine.
Good point.

I'm curious if he has done any other crimes and if so, what type ?
Stalking ?
Burglary ?
Murder ?
He just wasn't caught before ?

Not at all.I said he has lawyers with DP experience who will fight for him.I am most concerned about the actual victims.
You said that he should apologize to his family. Someone pointed out that he is just a suspect at this point. You said they had his DNA. I don't believe that the DNA has been tested in court. So some of us said it should go to court and he isn't proved guilty yet. You said that he has lawyers. I'm not sure what this means other than court cases don't matter.

I suspect that this guy is guilty. But I still think that the legal process needs to play out.
Your comment attached above implies that he has been proven guilty. I can't wait until the day that it happens, but I will wait until it is official.

Definitely interesting theory. Unfortunately, CTE can only be diagnosed postmortem. A family member suspected they had it and had it in their final wishes to have their brain donated to Boston University, who were then able to diagnose him with stage 2.
There are a few neuroscientists and imaging psychiatrists who are working on this issue, but you are basically right. No way to really diagnose well - yet. There are clues, though (just as with Alzheimer's, which has been researched longer). S.P.E.C.T. analysis (related to MRI) is promising.

But it is an interesting theory. I thought about it too. I could say a lot more about the cultural milieu that ends up with so many young men deciding to have such a hobby, but this probably isn't the place for it.

ANd I don't mean WS in general, which provides ample opportunity on other threads/DM to discuss such things - I just mean here on this thread, especially with the emotions still running high.

We’ve had 10 threads about his menacing looks and dead eyes and if he has the right proportion of iris to whites in his eyes. Why does it bother you if a couple of people disagree? No one is saying anyone is “wrong,” we are all allowed to post our opinions of him. I don’t know why anyone would interpret this personally as insulting.
Because it is sad if we judge people by the way they look....actually it is just plain wrong. Moo

Snipped for focus.

Is it possible the officers didn’t know because MPD had told everyone to be on the lookout for model years 2011-2013 of white Elantras rather than the 2015 he was driving?
There are thousands of Elantras all over the country. If you don’t have a license plate number, saying “Be on the lookout for a white Elantra 2011-13” is not useful. Police can’t pull over every white Elantra unless they have cause (e.g., speeding). And again, there would be no particular reason to suspect a guy riding home for Christmas with his dad is a multiple murderer.

Can anyone provide info on the reasons that allowed police to enter during the night?
"Area III Commander of the Pennsylvania State Police (PSP) Major Christopher Paris confirmed Kohberger's parents were present at the time authorities executed a "high-risk" warrant in the early hours of December 30.

"His parents were in the house at the time," Paris said.

... [...] ...

The execution of Kohberger's arrest warrant was considered "high risk" because Kohberger has been accused in a quadruple homicide, Paris said.

Safety factored into the decision to serve Kohberger's arrest overnight, according to Paris.

"Surveillance was conducted, and we wanted to go in at a time when we thought it would be the safest for everybody: safest for anybody else in the house, safest for Mr. Kohberger, and safest for our people," Paris said."

Typically, Pennsylvania search warrants are served between 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. Any performance between 10:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m. is illegal unless authorized by a judge who determined that the probable cause shown for a nighttime search was sufficient.

Pennsylvania Warrant Search | StateRecords.org

pennsylvania.staterecords.org/warrant
It would make sense to me that search warrants would be better served during daylight hours and take advantage of sunlight to ensure they don't miss or overlook anything...(like a weapon, perhaps, in a garage, shed, or separate structure). IMO

I snagged this and enlarged it. There looks to be a cut/abrasion on his right arm covered partially by his sleeve and on the knuckle of his second finger of his right hand. This was about a month after the murder. Looks to be healing. This was middle of Dec. Arrest end of Dec. Did no one see this or was it completely healed by arrest?

View attachment 392209
Thank you. I saw it but didn’t know how to link
To me the wrist injury looks like stitches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics