ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 49

Status
Not open for further replies.
He could have been on unpaid leave for a while, till is ckear where this goes. But here are obvious efforts to destroy him before even is known what they have against him.
Law enforcement are actually protecting him from the public. They are doing their jobs. They followed protocol by putting him in a suicide garment, watched him 24/7 while in their custody and provided tight security when he walked into the courtroom. He should be glad he is in custody. Ever hear of vigilante justice? No one is trying to destroy him!

Being on a PhD program, he is a student, he is epployed as TA only because he is a student.

They stroke him off as a student, the discussion is only about that.

To be honest, I am not aware if at-will employment is apllicable at universities, they usually have very specific own rules, kind of authonomy.
Agreed. Most jobs in education have specific language written into them that could have determined the immediate firing. I believe someone mentioned a “morality” clause. This can be very ambiguous. I’m not saying it’s right, just that it’s a possibility in this case. MOO .

I did google and Washington does appear to be an at-will employment state.

I agree! It would allow others to hit the media reports quickly before posting. Lots of circular discussion right now and lots of rehashing.
Have you checked out the media thread? The link is always posted on page 1 of every thread.

The universities have ti exercises their duty of care to their students and their academic and administrative staff as a top priority.

Reputation is down the list of priorities. Besides, there are no direct accussasions against the uni, at least not something we know about.

He is their student plus he is their employee as a TA. Duty of care is on them. When and if (logical AND) he is convicted, then they are free to decide what to do. However, his guilt is far from being proved, he basically has no idea what incrominating evidence they have against him. The step is preemptive for no reason, as noone at the uni is under imediate danger (he is in custody).

I'd say that academic employment doesn't work that way. Alethea is right - it's mostly at will employment (except for the tenured, who can be said to "own" their jobs).

Student status is *always* conditional on good student conduct - it's right in their handbook and in the registration papers they sign. It's a contract. University can revoke and does revoke access at any time according to its own investigations. Happens for many reasons and happens all the time. There are rules and policies, based on each state's Ed Code (law). First layer of protection is the classroom itself. We teachers can ask a student to leave the class for many reasons and they must leave. Then, there's a process for them to get back in. Most students refuse to go through that process.

I'm sure that BCK will be offered a chance to go through that process, if he petitions (as one has to do), once he's out of jail/prison. If he's found not guilty, he can surely use that petition process to rectify his student status, but no one ever has to offer him a job. All university employment (even of the tenured) is subject to funding and availability of work. There are entire sections of Ed Code and union contracts devoted to this.

The Pennsylvania high school student, who was bullied for his weight, appears to have slimmed down by his senior year, the yearbook photos show.

Yes. Its odd, minutes apart. And the first one the cop doesn't even run his ID, which I've never had happen.
Wondering-perhaps this has been discussed-was it to give him a false sense of security? “They don’t know who I am”? Maybe making him feel comfortable also made him make more sloppy mistakes in PA.

Disclaimer, I’m from the UK. I have no idea about sororities or fraternities or whatever these are but…
At DeSale University, their website states ‘DeSales University chapter of Alpha Phi Sigma, the National Criminal Justice Honor Society, brings together high-achieving students from the DeSales undergraduate traditional day, ACCESS, and graduate programs…..’ etc. (linked)
I know that a victim KG was also associated with Alpha Phi Sigma…
Is it possible that could be linked if BK was involved, despite different universities?APS Official Merchandise

I agree. Basically proclaiming they believe him to be guilty by dropping him from program if that’s the case. Seems odd. No trial has happened.
IMO, maybe he was dropped because of academic theft or fraud?

most likely not because of how far they were and what time Pullman started
No, the dad said it (shooting) happened about an hour and a half ago (meaning they were aware of goings on 1000+ miles away at BKs Pullman location). Can’t drive from Pullman to Indiana in 1.5 hours. That’s why it’s so weird to have brought it up.

Off topic, but I am reading Never Lie by Fredia McFadden, a popular book/author people my age are reading right now. This page stood out to me and freaked me out.

"The most striking case study is a patient PL I've been seeing for a few years now," I say. "She was staying at a cabin for the weekend with her fiancé and two of her best friends. Out in the wilderness, no cell phone service, yada yada yada." He smiles crookedly. "Oh, you mean like here?"

"Nothing like here." I shoot him a look. "Any-way, they were drinking quite a lot and smoking pot, so their guard was down when a crazy man with a butcher knife burst into the cabin." I lick my lips, recalling the description I wrote in the book. "He slashed their tires so they couldn't get away. Then he stabbed all four of them, leaving them for dead. My patient survived by pretending to be unconscious- after the assailant left the cabin, she stumbled through the woods until she came across the main road and flagged down a car for help.”

Law enforcement are actually protecting him from the public. They are doing their jobs. They followed protocol by putting him in a suicide garment, watched him 24/7 while in their custody and provided tight security when he walked into the courtroom. He should be glad he is in custody. Ever hear of vigilante justice? No one is trying to destroy him!

You are right.

But, I think there must be some misunderstanding.

I have nothing against LE. LE are doing what they must do and do it right

I have objections how the university treats him.

I’m from the UK. Tell me please, what are Alpha Phi Sigma etc? Like what is the purpose of them, are different universities involved in the same ones? are they linked?

Alpha Phi Sigma is the criminology honor society. They’re usually social groups with a common theme. Each university would have its own “chapter.” I’d say functionally they’re mostly just things to add onto a CV.

It is possible Bryan may take everything literally. Like he thought the question was “Where are you headed ….right now lol. In order to get Pennsylvania as an answer the officer prob would have to say where did your trip start and what is your final destination. Verbal Communication is not seemingly a strong point for him.Imo A very Black and white guy at best and literal. Easy to see why the guy is constantly bewildered and frustrated and cannot form relationships imo. The Dad seemingly though just so proud of his boy - telling both LE where he goes to school and just happy to be along for the ride. All JMO
Indeed. I don't find the "going to get thai food" response to be that strange. People have widely speculated him to be the absent-minded professor type. It seems like he may be a very literal thinker. I'm autistic and if I were in his shoes, (thank goodness I'm not) I may say something like that. I would also probably then look at my dad funny when he responded "Pennsylvania" because I would realize how stupid my answer was. It's just that I was so hungry-- haha.

I would also imagine he wasn't trying to hide where he was going. Afterall, his car was still in his possession at his parents house when he was caught.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roseashley592