ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 51

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a random question that one of you may know the answer to.

If Bryan's parent's home was damaged during the raid, who pays for the repairs? They apprehended their suspect at the home, but the parents themselves weren't the suspects, so are they responsible or would they receive any sort of compensation?
I'm assuming it would be their home insurance but I'm not 100% sure on that, just a guess

I was born in Pullman and I attended WSU in early 2000s as an undergraduate and took many classes in criminology and psychology while there. It is known as a party school—basically lots of heavy-drinking and dominated by the greek system. Most graduate students can’t wait to get out of there, as it’s an isolated, rural college town with hard winters and very little to do. The kegger/meathead/football culture wears on you real quick, particularly if you are a more academic type.
For as close as Moscow is to Pullman, there actually was very little back and forth between the towns for the vast majority of students. These college kids want to be able to stumble home drunk, not drive 15 minutes and risk a DUI. The road was often iced over, and because of some terrible fatal accidents over the years, it was known to be heavily watched by police. I think I went to Moscow 3 times total and I never once met a student from the university of Idaho.
I’m trying to wrap my head around how Brian could have possibly known these kids—I can tell you right now, there’s no way he was a part of their social circle. The Pi beta phi’s at WSU wouldn’t even socialize with a guy from the wrong fraternity, let alone an older, awkward PhD student. Graduate students typically stuck to 2 bars in Pullman, there was just very little crossover socializing between undergrads and phd students in these towns and very little crossover partying/socializing between the schools. Just some random thoughts rooted in a curiosity to know what in the world led him to this house and these kids.
I've wondered if maybe Kaylee took a course at WSU to fulfill a credit where Bryan was the TA, only because of her dad's comment about thinking he knew the connection between them but wasn't ready to share yet. (People at my university did this with neighboring colleges so it isn't unheard of in my own experience.) That or he could have been a regular at somewhere that one of the girls worked and began stalking them. Those are just my guesses on what the connection would be, outside of my craziest guess, which is a murder-for-hire plot by the neighbors because of the noise complaints. I highly, highly doubt that that is the case but it crossed my mind. I don't know how they'd ever connect with a criminology student to carry out the murder for them but I guess crazier things have happened.

It's used here all the time (NE IA). I read three different county sheriff reports each week, and LE routinely uses it as an excuse to search. I swear they are sent to liar's school to learn how to establish probable cause when there isn't any. My son-in-law got into a situation like this but the K-9 said no and there was nothing in his truck. They spent five hours having him perform a bunch of sobriety field tests (not administered correctly) in sub-zero weather until he failed. When his attorney asked for the video they sent the final one where he was cold and exhausted and failed, but not the five previous ones that he performed perfectly. By the time it was over his attorney (not court appointed) had all the charges dropped and the deputy who made up all the was literally in tears during interrogatory. He slumped so low he couldn't be seen in the witness box. I'm guessing Indiana LE were looking for healing hand injuries and maybe a knife on the floor of the backseat.
WoW

There are prohibition era Supreme Court decisions specifically prohibiting the use of smell for probable cause.

This is very recent case where the US Supreme Court rejected use of smell in a marijuana case https://www.supremecourt.gov/DocketPDF/20/20-5285/149187/20200731162105822_Jones cert petn - pdfA.pdf

I'm not sure where you are so I cannot research the police department. But if their policies are as you say, that could be a serious problem for them, Plain sight evidence is fine. Smell of drugs is illegal evidence!
I've heard something similar, but they can use their smell in conjunction with another sense, without manipulating the scene... Like smelling something coming from a container they see.
I've shared some reading you might enjoy!

Will a film crew be allowed inside of the courtroom in Moscow?
I read that the Daybell & Vallow judge no longer allows one.

I was born in Pullman and I attended WSU in early 2000s as an undergraduate and took many classes in criminology and psychology while there. It is known as a party school—basically lots of heavy-drinking and dominated by the greek system. Most graduate students can’t wait to get out of there, as it’s an isolated, rural college town with hard winters and very little to do. The kegger/meathead/football culture wears on you real quick, particularly if you are a more academic type.
For as close as Moscow is to Pullman, there actually was very little back and forth between the towns for the vast majority of students. These college kids want to be able to stumble home drunk, not drive 15 minutes and risk a DUI. The road was often iced over, and because of some terrible fatal accidents over the years, it was known to be heavily watched by police. I think I went to Moscow 3 times total and I never once met a student from the university of Idaho.
I’m trying to wrap my head around how Brian could have possibly known these kids—I can tell you right now, there’s no way he was a part of their social circle. The Pi beta phi’s at WSU wouldn’t even socialize with a guy from the wrong fraternity, let alone an older, awkward PhD student. Graduate students typically stuck to 2 bars in Pullman, there was just very little crossover socializing between undergrads and phd students in these towns and very little crossover partying/socializing between the schools. Just some random thoughts rooted in a curiosity to know what in the world led him to this house and these kids.

I agree that the social circles of the victims and the killer wouldn't likely cross paths. We know that BK became acquainted with Moscow fairly early after relocating to Pullman from PA -- given he was cited by Moscow LE for a seatbelt violation as early as 8/21 at 11:49 PM near the shopping strip on Hwy 8 ... Super Walmart, Target, WinCo, etc., and which happens to be less than 2 miles from the murder scene.

BK told authorities in PA that he found better shopping in Moscow than his side of town in Pullman. I think BK could have been a late-night shopper which would be conducive for a peeper-- providing him the opportunity to become familiar with the King Rd residence and its occupants where the victims were clueless about BK lurking in the neighborhood. MOO

With BK’s criminal Justice background…. Combined with reports of him having a strong desire to show everyone how smart he was (is) in this field….

Does anyone else think he could possibly pull a Ted Bundy and request to represent himself alongside his newly assigned Defense Attorneys?

And yes… I know they will most likely advise him not to…(any decent attorney at this level would) but something tells me he may insist.

All -MOO - would like to know if anyone else thinks this could happen as well.

With BK’s criminal Justice background…. Combined with reports of him having a strong desire to show everyone how smart he was (is) in this field….

Does anyone else think he could possibly pull a Ted Bundy and request to represent himself alongside his newly assigned Defense Attorneys?

And yes… I know they will most likely advise him not to…(any decent attorney at this level would) but something tells me he may insist.

I suppose it depends on how happy BK is with his defense. IMO, he's very fortunate to be represented by Anne Taylor who has a very good reputation and has served as a PD since 2004.

I suppose it depends on how happy BK is with his defense. IMO, he's very fortunate to be represented by Anne Taylor who has a very good reputation and has served as a PD since 2004.
I thought the same when I heard she would be representing him.

Just a random question that one of you may know the answer to.

If Bryan's parent's home was damaged during the raid, who pays for the repairs? They apprehended their suspect at the home, but the parents themselves weren't the suspects, so are they responsible or would they receive any sort of compensation?
Ive wondered the same thing.

BBM, I think he’ll be aware enough to know that that ship’s sailed. If he’s guilty, and thinks he can still come across as being intelligent in the way he committed this crime that would take some serious levels of delusion.

A question about plea bargaining from a non-US citizen. So far, all the indications from BK's legal team suggests he intends to plead not guilty and fight the charges. Could this merely be strategy on his part to attempt to persuade prosecutors to offer him a plea bargain? In other words, if he strongly denies guilt at this stage, will that improve his prospects of being offered life without parole in exchange for changing his plea to guilty?

I have wondered the same and go back and force, am on the fence until we can see more of him, or hear more from him. I am glad the courtroom proceedings in Idaho, from what I understand/believe, will have cameras. I think his wanting to defend himself may also depend on what evidence will have to be refuted by the defendant.

BK told authorities in PA that he found better shopping in Moscow than his side of town in Pullman.
Where did you see this? Not meant to sound accusatory, just asking because I haven’t seen it anywhere and would like to read the article/tweet it came from

Accused killer Bryan Kohberger’s defense team has hired a veteran Washington state crime scene reconstruction expert.

Forensic expert Matthew Noedel, owner and operator of Noedel Scientific, and his team spent five hours inside the home on 1122 King Street, Moscow, where four University of Idaho students were brutally stabbed on Nov. 13.

Text Book that Mathew Noedel contributed to …..

1672916491883.jpeg

Apologies if already posted I can’t keep up ….

I have wondered the same and go back and force, am on the fence until we can see more of him, or hear more from him. I am glad the courtroom proceedings in Idaho, from what I understand/believe, will have cameras. I think it may also depend on what evidence will have to be refuted by the defendant.
I agree completely. We’ve heard so much in the media but seen and heard very little from him to get a good read on his true personality. I guess time will tell.

But as for now. Again MOO- I wouldn’t be surprised if he attempted to represent / co represent himself.

Agreed. Having read up on Anne Taylor I think BK will be well represented. It is a good thing. If he is innocent, he will need it. If he is guilty, it'll strengthen a conviction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ambermotko