OK OK - Stephen “Steve” Lee Murphy, last seen in Claremore sometime in 1976, not reported missing until July 2022

Apparently the names Elaine & Erin Elizabeth don't have meaning for you?

We've already found plenty of Stephen/Steven Murphy possibles.

This is sure dragging out for you -- maybe 2023 will bring you answers!
I have ruled out so many Stephen/Steven's. I thought I would try searching just Steve and this was a new find. I did find a marriage license, but it is only the index and birth year is 2 years off with a middle initial of A. However, at this point I don't know that anything can be definitively ruled out. I dug through military archives on 3fold the past few nights and I can't find anything. The AWOL database only goes up to the early to mid-1970s.

@Snoangel26 for the video I was thinking more along the lines of "What happened to Steve" versus you having to talk about it. If you ever feel it would be helpful, I would be more than happy to help. I don't know much about getting information out there, but like with so many cases, I can't help but think someone knows something. It is just a matter of finding them.

I have ruled out so many Stephen/Steven's. I thought I would try searching just Steve and this was a new find. I did find a marriage license, but it is only the index and birth year is 2 years off with a middle initial of A. However, at this point I don't know that anything can be definitively ruled out. I dug through military archives on 3fold the past few nights and I can't find anything. The AWOL database only goes up to the early to mid-1970s.

@Snoangel26 for the video I was thinking more along the lines of "What happened to Steve" versus you having to talk about it. If you ever feel it would be helpful, I would be more than happy to help. I don't know much about getting information out there, but like with so many cases, I can't help but think someone knows something. It is just a matter of finding them.
Those names don't have any meaning for me, sorry. It is dragging out but I can't give up. I did request military records again. After things calm down from the holidays I plan on emailing the detective again. I do think I should put out there, "What Happened to Stephen?

Those names don't have any meaning for me, sorry. It is dragging out but I can't give up. I did request military records again. After things calm down from the holidays I plan on emailing the detective again. I do think I should put out there, "What Happened to Stephen?
I really don't know what to tell you. There is usually some indication as to what happened. It is not very often (that I have seen) where there is literally no clue. Not even knowing when he went "missing", from where, under what circumstances... It is hard to even know where to look. I am more than happy to try and put something together. It wouldn't be much with the information you have now. Although, if you wanted to, you could use this as a opportunity to look for answers by saying someone contacted you wanting to do research to try and solve the case.

I think it is a matter of how hard do you want to dig and are you okay with the answer, no matter what it is? Also, follow your intuition. Do family members not talk about it because it's painful and they don't know anything...or because it's painful and they do know something. There are so many possibilities, it is hard to know what the ramifications from digging could be. I can tell you, from what you have done, I have done, and everyone else here...the available sources have pretty much been exhausted. It is going to take something not publicly available or someone providing information, in my opinion, to find Stephen.

I think you should rest and recover from the holidays. Think about everything. Talk to the detective and see what you think at that point. Take care and please know that what you have done so far is absolutely amazing!

I really don't know what to tell you. There is usually some indication as to what happened. It is not very often (that I have seen) where there is literally no clue. Not even knowing when he went "missing", from where, under what circumstances... It is hard to even know where to look. I am more than happy to try and put something together. It wouldn't be much with the information you have now. Although, if you wanted to, you could use this as a opportunity to look for answers by saying someone contacted you wanting to do research to try and solve the case.

I think it is a matter of how hard do you want to dig and are you okay with the answer, no matter what it is? Also, follow your intuition. Do family members not talk about it because it's painful and they don't know anything...or because it's painful and they do know something. There are so many possibilities, it is hard to know what the ramifications from digging could be. I can tell you, from what you have done, I have done, and everyone else here...the available sources have pretty much been exhausted. It is going to take something not publicly available or someone providing information, in my opinion, to find Stephen.

I think you should rest and recover from the holidays. Think about everything. Talk to the detective and see what you think at that point. Take care and please know that what you have done so far is absolutely amazing!
I am ready for answers. I don't believe any answer I receive will shock me. I will continue to dig and I'll be speaking with the detective soon. Thank you for everything, I truly appreciate everyone's concern and hard work.

My apologies to begin with.... I did not go all the way back to the beginning here...
Do you live in the area? If so I assume you have tried to contact old possible acquaintances...

But I did wonder if you did try to track down any high school students...Not necessarily people who could be identified as his "friends". People who tend to stay living at home in the same area after high school, seem to know the most about "what happened to who" after high school.

Different thought..... and again apologies if has been discussed. I did see that there are 11 family trees on Ancestry, when I searched his mother.

I am assuming one or tw of those trees are yours, but are private.. The ones with 230 and 60 family members. Yes?? (IF not you... I would try to get in touch with the author)

All 11 trees show different numbers of children for Mary Jane Hamm...

BUT there is only one tree that shows that Mary Jane had 3 children with Tommy Murphy. All the others only show a son and a daughter (Kathy who would be Stephen's sister, who died in 2017).

The one tree shows that Mary Jane had two sons and a daughter. It is the "McLaughlin family tree with 4063 family members. How would the author of this particular tree know this? I dunno.... might be worth trying to touch base with the author.... her address is there.

Last edited:
Different thought..... and again apologies if has been discussed. I did see that there are 11 family trees on Ancestry, when I searched his mother.

I am assuming one or tw of those trees are yours, but are private.. The ones with 230 and 60 family members. Yes?? (IF not you... I would try to get in touch with the author)

BUT there is only one tree that shows that Mary Jane had 3 children with Tommy Murphy. All the others only show a son and a daughter (Kathy who would be Stephen's sister, who died in 2017).

The one tree shows that Mary Jane had two sons and a daughter. It is the "McLaughlin family tree with 4063 family members. How would the author of this particular tree know this? I dunno.... might be worth trying to touch base with the author.... her address is there.
There were biological and step siblings discussed above in the thread. You may be seeing my research tree (although I thought it was private).
I’ve been deep diving for months and everything on Ancestry matches with known facts. There is a lot of information provided by Snoangel in prior posts and I summarized known facts in a timeline not far back. This may be helpful in your search.

I am ready for answers. I don't believe any answer I receive will shock me. I will continue to dig and I'll be speaking with the detective soon. Thank you for everything, I truly appreciate everyone's concern and hard work.
Maybe when you talk to the detective you can gain some insight on the best direction to dig.
One question I have is was the Feb military discharge date honorable or dishonorable. Ok two, are there any locations associated with his service. To be honest I have a million questions, but I think those are what needs to be nailed down to find out credibility of the story and where to look. Fingers crossed!!

i did my best to read all the posts here, so apologies if i missed it, but @Snoangel26, did you ever talk with the high school and see about getting his SSN? I am also a bit unsure how the detective was able to get any of those dates without a SSN and you weren't! Is it 100% certain the date the detective has are for YOUR steven murphy?

also a dumb question, but are we certain he was in active duty until the 1980s? could you be discharged dishonorably after your tour was up if you didnt return after being AWOL/UA?

i did my best to read all the posts here, so apologies if i missed it, but @Snoangel26, did you ever talk with the high school and see about getting his SSN? I am also a bit unsure how the detective was able to get any of those dates without a SSN and you weren't! Is it 100% certain the date the detective has are for YOUR steven murphy?

also a dumb question, but are we certain he was in active duty until the 1980s? could you be discharged dishonorably after your tour was up if you didnt return after being AWOL/UA?
The high school probably didn't record SSNs back then. I went to high school with several people who never got SSNs until they graduated and were starting work and this is some time after this missing man would have been in school.

The high school probably didn't record SSNs back then. I went to high school with several people who never got SSNs until they graduated and were starting work and this is some time after this missing man would have been in school.
it was just something they mentioned they were going to do in the beginning of the search so i was curious if it had led anywhere!

Maybe when you talk to the detective you can gain some insight on the best direction to dig.
One question I have is was the Feb military discharge date honorable or dishonorable. Ok two, are there any locations associated with his service. To be honest I have a million questions, but I think those are what needs to be nailed down to find out credibility of the story and where to look. The February date came from the first detective I was communicating with. The only location that I have is from his brother which was San Onofre California.

One question I have is was the Feb military discharge date honorable or dishonorable. Ok two, are there any locations associated with his service. To be honest I have a million questions, but I think those are what needs to be nailed down to find out credibility of the story and where to look. Fingers crossed!!
Idk if it was honorable or dishonorable. The February date came from the first detective I was communicating with. The only location that I have is from his brother which was San Onofre California.

I'm really not sure how the detective came up with anything. They have told me that they ran his fingerprints with no hit. The school wasn't able to give me anything. I did reach out to them. I'm really not 100% positive how their discharge works. I also don't understand why they would wait so long to discharge him out.

Mary Jane had 5 children, 3 with Tommy. Kathy was one of them and did pass away in 2017. They other children are still living. Her 2 other children father was

Mary Jane had 5 kids. 3 with Tommy and 2 with Mr Clark,who is deceased.

Mary Jane had 5 children, 3 with Tommy. Kathy was one of them and did pass away in 2017. They other children are still living. Her 2 other children father was

Mary Jane had 5 kids. 3 with Tommy and 2 with Mr Clark,who is deceased.

My inquiry is more specifically asking why does only one public family tree show THREE children born to Tommy and Mary Jane.

I am assuming that this is NOT a tree that you or Megs1477 posted??? So does the author of this tree "McLaughlin Tree" know anything more???

I'm really not sure how the detective came up with anything. They have told me that they ran his fingerprints with no hit. The school wasn't able to give me anything. I did reach out to them. I'm really not 100% positive how their discharge works. I also don't understand why they would wait so long to discharge him out.
That is why I was asking the type. If it was honorable, then he was alive at least until 1983. The only proof that he left the military prior to that are confirmed stories. A discharge means they 1-discharged him honorably by his choice, 2-dishonorably while in their custody, or 3- dishonorably related to awol status. I am not positive off the top of my head, but I think I read it is over 10 yrs before awol discharge.

I’ve been on this site and many other far longer than I’ve been posting…and the one thing I learned is start with verifiable facts. Exhaust those before spending time on theories and speculation. I know this is hard in your case with all the mystery. However, wherever the detective got those dates, they are much more reliable than people’s memories and second or third-hand stories.

This is completely not what I was looking for, but thought it was worth mentioning to see if you have tried it:

1. How do I locate a buddy whom I served with in the military?

The Privacy Act obliges the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), as a Federal agency, to protect the privacy of Veterans’ personal information. Therefore, VA cannot release personal information about a Veteran in its records system without that person’s permission. VA can, however, forward a message from you to the Veteran, providing VA has a current address on record. Write your message to your friend and place it in an unsealed, stamped envelope. Include a note to VA explaining who it is that you are trying to reach and add as much identifying information as you have. Put all of this in another envelope and address it to the nearest VA Regional Office. If the Veteran is in VA records, your message to the Veteran will be sealed and the envelope will be sent to the address on file for the Veteran. It is then up to the Veteran to contact you. This process is designed to protect the privacy of Veterans, as required by law. If you have questions, you may call VA at 1-800-827-1000.

My inquiry is more specifically asking why does only one public family tree show THREE children born to Tommy and Mary Jane.

I am assuming that this is NOT a tree that you or Megs1477 posted??? So does the author of this tree "McLaughlin Tree" know anything more???
While I would love to think this was possible, I looked at the tree you referenced and I do not believe so. This person only has a single source for Tommy (Steve's father), the 1940 census. The remainder of the family information was copied from another Ancestry tree. It is very disappointing, but family trees have become almost unreliable (in my opinion) as far as research tools because so many people blindly click on a leaf and think it is always going to be accurate. Without verifying the data you are adding, you are not only introducing bad data to your tree...but also providing that information publicly for others to copy. The top hit in family trees for Tommy is a tree that lists him as being born in North Carolina. The source for this is a prison record for Tommy out of WA. If you look at the record, while the names match, the ages don't. Further, Tommy's parents were in OK and surrounding areas both before and after his birth, so it is unlikely that he would be born in NC, and all his siblings and parents only recorded in OK and MO. (Sorry for over explaining...I turn into a genealogist after midnight when I run out of shoe prints to search).

I was feeling overly optimistic tonight, so I tried putting in a records request with the VA. In 800 characters (including spaces) or less, I begged as eloquently as possible for just an idea whether he was "active duty" immediately before his discharge, or some other status. Not being next of kin or having an obituary, chances are I will not succeed, but my new motto is You Can't Fail if you Don't Try! Considering my failure rate recently...I am due a big win. So fingers crossed!!!

While I would love to think this was possible, I looked at the tree you referenced and I do not believe so. This person only has a single source for Tommy (Steve's father), the 1940 census. The remainder of the family information was copied from another Ancestry tree. It is very disappointing, but family trees have become almost unreliable (in my opinion) as far as research tools because so many people blindly click on a leaf and think it is always going to be accurate. Without verifying the data you are adding, you are not only introducing bad data to your tree...but also providing that information publicly for others to copy. The top hit in family trees for Tommy is a tree that lists him as being born in North Carolina. The source for this is a prison record for Tommy out of WA. If you look at the record, while the names match, the ages don't. Further, Tommy's parents were in OK and surrounding areas both before and after his birth, so it is unlikely that he would be born in NC, and all his siblings and parents only recorded in OK and MO. (Sorry for over explaining...I turn into a genealogist after midnight when I run out of shoe prints to search).

I was feeling overly optimistic tonight, so I tried putting in a records request with the VA. In 800 characters (including spaces) or less, I begged as eloquently as possible for just an idea whether he was "active duty" immediately before his discharge, or some other status. Not being next of kin or having an obituary, chances are I will not succeed, but my new motto is You Can't Fail if you Don't Try! Considering my failure rate recently...I am due a big win. So fingers crossed!!!
This is very true. I was trying to find one or my great grandparents and I found a hint. I was about to add her but when I asked my parents it was a completely different woman.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back