ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 54

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curious question that I've often wondered but never really dug into... does a defense attorney generally know whether their client is actually guilty of the crime they are charged of? Or how does that work? I cannot imagine having motivation to build a defense case on someone I knew was guilty. But I also can't imagine the not knowing and trying to build a case. Any attorneys here to shed light?
I’m not attorney, and I will add that by “defending” defense attorneys I’m not defending the defendants. Obvious guilt is obvious guilt. But we need defense attorneys don’t we? They believe in the law and the constitution. They protect all of our rights. Even those of the guilty. Anyway, it’s an interesting profession. We need them. And it’s my understanding that they don’t ask. Because if the defendant confessed, they would be lying in court while defending them. Jmo

These threads move at light-speed! I presumed they would slow down a bit after the arrest was made, but I believe if anything they’ve picked up! I’ll be back soon to play catch-up once again. So glad I took speed reading back in 7th & 8th grades. It proves priceless on WS’s!!
I missed almost an entire new thread because apparently we're not allowed to eat or shower around here! LOL

What if he claims he’s been to a party at the house before, had seen the knife, been intrigued and touched it once. He could claim a frat boy left it or gave it to one of the girls for protection. Because the house is known for welcoming parties, it’s not strange that he could have happened to overhear conversations at mad Greek and gotten word of a party. He could claim that Because he was welcomed in to party in the past he felt like he could just randomly show up for a party in the future. On the night of the murder he was in the area because he was hoping for another welcoming party. He arrives at the house expecting a party….doesn’t find one there…but parked in the area and lurked around or knocked on doors or windows of 1122. He gives up after no one answers and goes home. He later learns of the murder and feels like he can’t come forward out of the fear of being accused. The knife and dna aren’t his main concern. He tries to defend his reason for being there. Now when they have dna of his on the sheath he offers up some insight- “the real killer used this girls knife against herself! I know this because I had talked to her before and she showed me this knife…”

In my mind it all comes down to victims DNA in the car.

To take take it a step further he could even say, yeah I entered a door because it was open. There’s always a party and it’s not even burglary because I just came here to party. I ended up leaving because it seemed like no one was awake. On the way out I walked past a roommate who just stood in the doorway.

I know this is extremely hard to believe, and I know a jury might convict with what is already known. I just find it absolutely imperative that victim dna be found in that car OR some proof that the sheath belongs to BK
sure. that sounds like a good start to a defense strategy. But once it is known the police are looking for a white elantra and you drove a white elantra in that area, why would he not come forward and say....I drove a car fitting that description, that night....here it is please come check it out and clear my name. Instead, he changes registration, and drives it out of town the first chance he gets. Not sure if he made other attempts to hide his ownership of a vehicle matching that description but at least those two things come to mind.

I'm going to guess BK was online right before he left his place at 2:47am. I'm guessing he was browsing their pics and/or looking at other undesirable websites (sexual, violent, or gory) to rev himself up.

I'm going to guess he made the choice to murder that day or late that night after being triggered or thinking the timing has aligned and is right (maybe K being in town).

I think he half planned/obsessed about murdering for awhile. But I sure wanting to know what his internet history was a couple days and night of the murder. JMO, MOO
The fact that he drove from WA on that night in the wee hours to do the murder was a surprise to me. I thought his decision to choose that day may have followed some event between him and one of the victims on that day.

What made him choose that day?

JMO

The man accused of slaughtering four University of Idaho students was in Clarkston on the day of the murders, according to the affidavit released Thursday.
Bryan Kohberger’s cellphone data indicates he drove his white Hyundai Elantra to the Lewiston-Clarkston Valley on Nov. 13. Court documents say surveillance footage from the Clarkston Albertsons shows Kohberger exiting the vehicle at 12:49 p.m.
Interior surveillance cameras show the suspect walking through the store, purchasing unknown items at the checkout and leaving at approximately 1:04 p.m.

When contacted by the Lewiston Tribune on Thursday, an employee at the Clarkston grocery store said management is not commenting on the case or releasing the footage to the media at this time.

The white Elantra was also seen in the parking lot of the Chef’s Store at 820 Port Drive and passing by Kate’s Cup of Joe, which is on the same street. An employee at the coffee stand said the car was spotted in the drive-through, but the driver did not stop and order anything.
Detective Bryon Denny of the Clarkston Police Department said he was asked to obtain some surveillance footage by Idaho authorities. However, the FBI handled the Albertsons portion of the investigation.
“We were just called to check the video of the Chef’s Store parking lot,” Denny said. “It did not appear he entered the store.”

[…]

But why was the phone turned off? He could argue that the battery just happened to die at the same time the victims died? It's gets to the point that there are just too many unlucky coincidence to be believable.

Yup, and why was he in the area all of those times prior to the murders and didn't visit once after the murders? And the white car without a front license plate etc... It's very rare that there is direct evidence in a murder because of the nature of the crime, which is why most people are convicted on circumstantial evidence.

Couldn’t be more relieved to read such an evidence packed pca.

Lots stick out to me, but one thing I wanted to mention- his cell phone turning off the afternoon of November 13th, and last being tracked near Johnson, ID. A quick google maps search shows traveling east from Johnson leads to a lot of national forest and wilderness areas. Three hours in the wilderness to dump evidence.. yikes.

A very close family friend of mine grew up with BK (family videos and all). Chilling. They knew him at a younger age (pre-high school) and he seemed more “normal” then. I’m hoping to gain more insight from them, but it makes me wonder when this change psychologically occurred, or if he was always like this.

Either way, fantastic police work. Looking forward to the day we see all of our questions answered and justice served.

I don't know if this has been said yet, but what if DM locked herself in her bedroom, came out when she thought it was safe, saw her friends unalived, then she fainted and hit her head, was knocked unconscious, and that is why she did not call the police, and that is why eventually there is a call to 911 for an unconscious person

? just a thought

I missed the guy’s name on Cuomo, he said it is his opinion that the public defender and the crime reconstruction team went to the house for possibly three reasons. 1-if the defendant intends to mount a defense, the team needs to evaluate whether it is plausible. 2-the public defender needs to see the strength of the prosecution’s case so they can advise the defendant regarding a plea. 3-if the defendant is convicted, it has to be shown that all efforts were made to defend the client, so that he cannot have it overturned due to ineffective counsel. All paraphrasing btw.

I don't know if this has been said yet, but what if DM locked herself in her bedroom, came out when she thought it was safe, saw her friends unalived, then she fainted and hit her head, was knocked unconscious, and that is why she did not call the police, and that is why eventually there is a call to 911 for an unconscious person

? just a thought
You can say killed/dead/murdered here.

Just read the affidavit. It's a terrifying report, like a blow by blow description of wholesale murder. Written in the dry, dispassionate wording of a police report just adds to the horror. It breaks my heart to hear that some of these young people were not sleeping, that perhaps two of them may have been awake. That poor girl who heard crying and whimpering, thumps and somebody saying they were there to help. It's like a nightmare. No one would ever think someone was getting killed in real time. There will always be six victims because of Bryan Kohberger. One of them especially who will remember this for the rest of her life. Even the dog is a victim.

I really applaud LE and their focus and passion to bring this killer to justice. All the insults and put downs they endured, not only by the general public but by the media, too. They weren't looking for clicks they were looking for hard justice.

How do you wake up every morning knowing how your children died because of this man? How do you wake up every morning knowing your child did this? If BK has one scintilla of compassion for the families of his victims, he should take a plea.

I’m sure this has been said, but I’m super curious when he went back to class- was it immediately the next day? The next week?

I’m guessing a lot of his classes the week of Nov. 16-19 were canceled because of PHD faculty being at the national Criminology conference (American Society of Criminology) in Atlanta. So did he have the week to “cool off” before attending classes again?

Source: asc41.org

Regarding DM not calling 911. IMO she may have been texting and calling friends for advice; just as in the morning someone was calling and asking friends to come over and such first and one of those ultimately called 911. She may have simply fell asleep while waiting for a response(s), to her texts or calls. I'm sure it will all come out at trial.

Puzzling. On several levels. Unless the father just wanted to hang out with his son, and enjoy a trip.

<modsnip>

Maybe he knew he was NOT going to be coming back to Washington State after Christmas break b/c of that white Elantra. He might have thought if he hung out in the Poconos and the car was registered in another state, they'd be looking out there, not on the east coast. Just a son, who asked Dad to drive cross country with him, maybe spend some quality time together. Serves as double purpose? It's never a bad thing to have an elder in the car. Looks non-threatening most times. Dad and son on a drive back East together.

Last edited by a moderator:
BK's phone/phone records

I do hope BK (or his attorney) attempts to present an alibi at trial. I would love to hear the outlandish scenario that would account for what we know of his cell phone movement and activity that night.
I don’t. I hope he gets a plea offer for life in prison, gives them the knife in exchange for it, answers some questions for the families as to his motive (it won’t make a difference) and let’s the families move in without the heartache of a long, drawn out trial and years of appeals.

The phone Kohberger allegedly used initially pinged at his apartment in Pullman, Washington — about a 10- to 15-minute drive from King Road in Moscow — around 2:47 a.m. the morning of the murders. The connection was then disabled until 4:48 a.m., at which point his phone pinged in various locations south of Moscow and then again in Pullman around 5:30 a.m., leading investigators to determine that the suspect may have been trying to deter police.

Curious question that I've often wondered but never really dug into... does a defense attorney generally know whether their client is actually guilty of the crime they are charged of? Or how does that work? I cannot imagine having motivation to build a defense case on someone I knew was guilty. But I also can't imagine the not knowing and trying to build a case. Any attorneys here to shed light?
I don’t think so, but I’m sure it does happen sometimes.

I think he did it for the same reason he didn't fight the extradition--he was overwhelmed with curiosity and the suspense was killing him. I think he probably waited for hours in his apartment for some sort of news of a quadruple homicide, and when he didn't get it, he drove by the house to see what was going on. Since he was never a traditional student, it may not have occurred to him that the murders wouldn't be discovered until later in the day due to people sleeping in until noon or so. MOO
Agree.
He could even have imagined that he had dropped it in the street outside the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member