ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 54

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's hilarious how the media has portrayed him as a "genius," which is a more clickable story than the reality of this guy. He went to a community college out of high school (Northhampton Community College in PA -- not heard of that, me neither) and then Desales University (?) and finally Washington State. Until this case, I hadn't definitely heard of any of these. Don't think I'm impugning the quality of the instruction at these institutions. There are great teachers in many easy to get into schools, and bad teachers in elite ones, but the truth is, these are places average Joes and Janes go.

The U. of Pennsylvania and the U. of Maryland have top notch criminology programs. Why wasn't he there if he was very talented? Further, he apparently scoped out his victims 12 or 13 times late at night or the early morning hours, with his cellphone in tow. Yes, he had his phone with him. When you're planning a murder, it's nice to be able to listen to podcasts. Also, the night of the murders his phone pinged towers on the way until he turned it off -- not just not genius -- profoundly stupid. And then pinged back at his apartment in the early morning hours when he turned it back on. "Why, Mr. Kohberger, did you turn your cellphone on at 4:45am, and why was it turned off half-way to Moscow?" Also, he was seen by cameras driving around the murder house several times the night of the killings, and not only dropped his knife sheath, but then didn't retrieve it.

If he's a genius, and possesses a sophisticated criminal mind, he must have done this poorly on purpose, for notoriety. Congrats Bryan, you fooled us. We thought you were just stupid.
Just wanted to point out that IMHO his schooling means nothing.
My brother’s IQ is 147 and he didn’t go to college until mid-life. And he got his Masters from a university that offers online courses and just flew to receive his masters in person at that university. He’s 40.
My sisters IQ is 135 and she obtained one of her degrees, the first one, at a community college.
I on the other hand have no idea what my IQ is but I have an eidetic memory and I’m great at math or so I’m told (human calculator). And I never went to college. (Actually all of us are great at math.)

Anyway, IMMostHO, schooling doesn’t equate to how smart someone is.

m[][] ymmv JMVHAspieO

Last edited:
Seems kind of strange that BK kept possession of incriminating evidence long after the crime and then packed it up, driving across the country to throw it away in the neighbors garbage can. JMO.
It was garbage from the parents' home not garbage he brought from WA. That's how they recovered the father's DNA, from the garbage in the PA home. IMO

OK, so from the affidavit, I note that the police say early on that the murders happened between 4:00 and 4:25 am. However, later on, they note that the Elantra was captured leaving the scene at 4:20 am. I'm going to extrapolate from this that even if DM had called the police, it wouldn't have done any good; I assume that if any of the 4 were still alive, it took 5 minutes or less for them to die, unfortunately. I feel like LE DOES need to spell this out for DM's safety (and mental health) and to get everyone off her back. I know there is probably a 99% chance that nothing she could have done could have saved them but people will fixate on the 1%.
Second, the timeline of the murders confuses me. Does BK have enough time to do 4 murders? You know the defense will be examining this as well. So at approximately 4:04 am, the car appears on camera, drives eastbound, then drives westbound, tries to park, then goes down Queen Road again. Suppose all this takes about 3 minutes. Then you have to allow another 2 minutes for him to park and get to the house and now it's 4:09. Now, at 4:20 am, the car is seen LEAVING again. Again, you have to allow time for BK to get to his car from the house and get back on camera. A murder happens at 4:17, which has to be the last one. We know X is alive at 4:12. X must be the LAST murder by this timeline.
Basically, by this timeline, BK kills 4 people in 10 minutes and must move like lightning in that house. Is that enough time for him to do 4 murders? If I was a defense attorney or giving the presumption of guilt, this is what I'd focus on. Also, how does he get in? Does he have the code to the house? If so, how does he get it? And why doesn't DM hear him come in if X or K do as no matter how he comes in, he has to pass her room to get to both rooms with the murder victims?
It is a short amount of time but I don't think it takes that much time to lethally stab someone. The killer was clearly trying to get in and out quickly. JMO.

I agree with the potential plausibility of some of this. The question I had while reading the PCA was the transition from the individual in a mask walking right past D.M.'s room and the statement that the individual was "headed to the back sliding door". Is not D.M.'s room on the bottom floor and the sliding glass door on the 2nd level? How was it ascertained the individual in question was "headed toward the back sliding door"? From what I have seen of floor plans there would be no sightline to indicate this from the doorways of the bottom floor bedrooms. Am I missing something??
DM was on the second floor

I agree with the potential plausibility of some of this. The question I had while reading the PCA was the transition from the individual in a mask walking right past D.M.'s room and the statement that the individual was "headed to the back sliding door". Is not D.M.'s room on the bottom floor and the sliding glass door on the 2nd level? How was it ascertained the individual in question was "headed toward the back sliding door"? From what I have seen of floor plans there would be no sightline to indicate this from the doorways of the bottom floor bedrooms. Am I missing something??
DM's room was on 2nd floor back left facing the house...under MM's room basically.

Isn’t the sliding glass door on the second floor? If it is then how would the roommate have seen the suspect going towards that sliding glass door to make his exit from peering out behind her bedroom door which was on the first floor?

Just thinking out loud…

Edit: seeing now that DM’s room was actually on the second floor so please ignore me!!!

I’d sure like to see that interior Albertsons security footage the hours after the murder. Wonder how he looked? Any wounds? What does a murderer buy at the grocery store after their horrific crime? Sheesh this guy
My guess is bandages and antiseptic? Perhaps he didn’t realize HE would be cut up somewhat afterward. Bleach? Maybe gloves?

This is something that bothers me. Why would he leave the sheath? It is not like it fell and was out of site under the bed or under the covers. It was right there on top next to the victim. Most people I know with knives either have their sheath on their belt or clipped to a pocket - but they always put the knife in the sheath when they are done. It is a habit, especially with a big knife. Just strange to me that he would carry his knife out without it. JMO

I'm still not 100% convinced that he left the house with the knife, but I realize this is a very fringe possibility. I think if he believed the sheath did not contain his DNA, he could have left it behind as a sort of physical marker of the violation he had just committed. I think BK has major control and anger issues and committed these killings out of a hybrid of anger at what his target(s) represented to him and rage after experiencing humiliation in his school/work environment. (I wrote about that in an earlier post so won't regurgitate here). Remember that this guy spent a lot of time studying criminals, including serial killers, and would have been very immersed in examples of SK MOs, signatures, trophies, etc. Mass murders by stabbing outside of familial contexts are just super rare, and I think the motivation behind this crime was exceedingly esoteric and rare.

The previously posted photo of a K Bar knife and leather sheath like the one described in the affidavit has a nice sturdy loop for attaching it to your belt with virtually zero chance of it coming off….so why didn’t he attach it to his belt if he felt the need to bring it into the house?

Perhaps it’s because it would be difficult to conceal if he might have attracted the attention of any LE whether walking or driving away and getting pulled over. A knife or even an empty sheath attached to his person would’ve been impossible to explain away.
Isn't open carry legal in idaho? And most people who open carry wear long tail shirt.

OK, so from the affidavit, I note that the police say early on that the murders happened between 4:00 and 4:25 am. However, later on, they note that the Elantra was captured leaving the scene at 4:20 am. I'm going to extrapolate from this that even if DM had called the police, it wouldn't have done any good; I assume that if any of the 4 were still alive, it took 5 minutes or less for them to die, unfortunately. I feel like LE DOES need to spell this out for DM's safety (and mental health) and to get everyone off her back. I know there is probably a 99% chance that nothing she could have done could have saved them but people will fixate on the 1%.
Second, the timeline of the murders confuses me. Does BK have enough time to do 4 murders? You know the defense will be examining this as well. So at approximately 4:04 am, the car appears on camera, drives eastbound, then drives westbound, tries to park, then goes down Queen Road again. Suppose all this takes about 3 minutes. Then you have to allow another 2 minutes for him to park and get to the house and now it's 4:09. Now, at 4:20 am, the car is seen LEAVING again. Again, you have to allow time for BK to get to his car from the house and get back on camera. A murder happens at 4:17, which has to be the last one. We know X is alive at 4:12. X must be the LAST murder by this timeline.
Basically, by this timeline, BK kills 4 people in 10 minutes and must move like lightning in that house. Is that enough time for him to do 4 murders? If I was a defense attorney or giving the presumption of guilt, this is what I'd focus on. Also, how does he get in? Does he have the code to the house? If so, how does he get it? And why doesn't DM hear him come in if X or K do as no matter how he comes in, he has to pass her room to get to both rooms with the murder victims?
This^^ I am having a really hard time with the timeline

This is highly speculative, but in my experience if there's one door people forget to lock, it's the door-wall.

Edited to add: Sorry. Door-wall is Michigander for sliding glass door.

The whole car thing shows how foolishly arrogant BK is. He's driving around a car with an out-of-state plate, which is only on the rear of the car, traveling in two states with front-and-back plates. So when the front of the car is captured on video, the absence of a front plate is unusual. And then he has to re-register the car. He could re-register it in Pennsylvania over the internet; you can even download the registration document and print it yourself. So he's in a jam that maybe he can't find a way out of: Keep the car registered in PA and risk that the car with PA plates was captured on video after the murders. Or re-register the car in Washington, which will be a red flag once LE starts sorting out Elantras because he changed the registration and plates and THAT info just jumps off the page.

Two observations: First, the probable cause affidavit should help many here become more patient with investigations. The Moscow PD, with help from FBI experts, had this guy on the radar very quickly. But the video research, the vehicle research, the warrants for the phone records, and the analysis of the resulting information takes time. For a small city police force, what we see in this document is truly excellent, including the correlation of the phone record to the "suspect vehicle."

Second, this affidavit shows that it's not easy to get out of the range of surveillance in this country.
The whole car thing just screams idiot.
And I agree, there are cameras everywhere now.

Did someone say he went through Colorado on their drive home? That wouldn’t make sense ‍♀️
I live in East Idaho. We’ve had a strong start to winter here. Most of the early season storms moved across from Washington state. Our son was traveling with his girlfriend through Salt Lake City to visit her folks in Boulder. The I-80 was treacherous so he headed south to Spanish Fork and took the 89,6,191 to Green River on the I-70. Then headed east to Boulder. Here’s an example of what the I-80 and roads north were experiencing almost non-stop for weeks.
Did someone say he went through Colorado on their drive home? That wouldn’t make sense ‍♀️

Attachments

• FE5ACE4C-7054-4BCE-9851-90875D59FCD3.jpeg
    FE5ACE4C-7054-4BCE-9851-90875D59FCD3.jpeg
    141.7 KB · Views: 34
I could be finding patters where there are none (as our brains like to do) but this is the 3rd similarity between a serial killer & BK. 1: he murdered sorority members (TB) 2: he killed 4 people on his first kill, potentially spoke to victims to calm them, and potentially left living witnesses (BTK), 3: the areas of the LCV murders (which I have never heard about & will be reading)

Is it possible that BK wanted to use parts from each of the people he studied? Is it possible that there is no connection and my theory is wild? Obviously, this is all my opinion.
When I was discussing with my partner my disbelief at D.M. being spared after he had apparently already killed 4 other individuals, my kid [who knows nothing of the interesting and/or coincidental similarities between this crime and prior sk crimes] looked up and stated "maybe it was because part of their plan was to kill 4 people, so they couldn't kill anyone else". Yes, chilling to hear my kid say it so matter of fact , but nonetheless is a simple and plausible explanation if there were any emulation ideas at play...IMOO

There was a post in probably the first, second, or third thread on this case where someone proposed the killer was wearing PPE. I thought it was crazy -- but reading the PCA, a mask "covering the nose and mouth" sounds a lot like a surgical mask.

Makes a lot of sense to me. We also know that X had defensive wounds, and was found on the floor. I also believe the noise from killing X & E is what started the dog barking.
SG said there was a "hell of a battle on the second floor." Could be why the description of EC's wounds are redacted. The PCA describes the women's wounds.

JMO

These guys did an amazing job. They need more credit than they had. They hit a homerun. That affidavit is impressive,” Steve Goncalves, father of victim Kaylee Goncalves, said Thursday on “Banfield.” “I was concerned, but I was wrong, they were right, and I’m OK with that.”

The records for the 8458 Phone show the 8458 Phone utilizing cellular resources that provide coverage to the area of I 122 King Road on at least twelve occasions prior to November 13,2022. All of these occasions, except for one, occurred in the late evening and early moming hours of their respective days.
Reading between the lines. I don't know where these cell towers are, but based on an FCC Map there are only like 6 cell tower locations in Moscow. (Looks like sites put numerous carrier towers in one location)

So was he trolling the general vicinity looking for potential victims and not just 1122 King?

Looks like the tower that services King Rd is on the WA state line and the tower that services where he was stopped is just north of Hwy 8.
I think that BK's attorneys will certainly propose that this was the case.

I'm hoping that LE can pinpoint BK's location on these twelve occasions through cell phone app location data, because that would be much stronger evidence than the cell tower pings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Postalgirl74