Children at higher risk in nontraditional homes

Spazkat9696

Former Member
Reaction score
I found this very interesting. However it was not surprising.

• Children living in households with unrelated adults are nearly 50 times as likely to die of inflicted injuries as children living with two biological parents, according to a study of Missouri data published in the journal of the American Academy of Pediatrics in 2005.
  • Children living in stepfamilies or with single parents are at higher risk of physical or sexual assault than children living with two biological or adoptive parents, according to several studies co-authored by David Finkelhor, director of the University of New Hampshire's Crimes Against Children Research Center.
  • Girls whose parents divorce face significantly higher risk of sexual assault, whether they live with their mother or father, according to research by Robin Wilson, a family law professor at Washington and Lee University.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21838575/

Hi Spaz! I found this interesting too. Of course, here we read all about that unlucky 50%. :( I sure hope there's some way of getting the word out better than we are now.

There's another thread here somewhere about this topic. Just FYI! :blowkiss:

I found this very interesting. However it was not surprising.
  • Children living in households with unrelated adults are nearly 50 times as likely to die of inflicted injuries as children living with two biological parents, according to a study of Missouri data published in the journal of the American Academy of Pediatrics in 2005.
  • Children living in stepfamilies or with single parents are at higher risk of physical or sexual assault than children living with two biological or adoptive parents, according to several studies co-authored by David Finkelhor, director of the University of New Hampshire's Crimes Against Children Research Center.
  • Girls whose parents divorce face significantly higher risk of sexual assault, whether they live with their mother or father, according to research by Robin Wilson, a family law professor at Washington and Lee University.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21838575/

yes, it seems alot of crimes you hear about where a child has died, the step father or live in boyfriend did it, its alarming. There must be a jealousy or resentment there?
Of course, there ARE alot of wonderful step parents.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back