ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 55

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not too worried about finding blood evidence/DNA in his car. I’ve had a child throw up in my car and got it professionally cleaned TWICE, the second time they took the actual seat out, and I could still smell it sometimes. LE doesn’t need a lot of blood and there are so many little nooks and crannies that are practically impossible to reach without dismantling the car. They’ll find plenty, imo.
One place I'd think they'd find it is in the stitches where the seats are sewn together. Just look at how this car seat is sewn together. I'd think if they couldn't simply see any, or pick it up by swabbing (or whatever they do), I'd think you could pull out some of the stitches and I'd bet it could be found on the thread.
1673042650206.png

Source of pic (nothing interesting at the site. Just sourcing where I got the pic from):

Why would that be? It's most likely his transfer DNA (from his fingers as he unbuttoned the sheath, not sure how else he gets the sheath open).

Single source DNA means all the DNA in the sample is from one person (source). Could be any kind of DNA.
Then he wasn't wearing gloves?

First time post here, have been following case closely. I noticed that all tracking on B.K phone was done using CLSI and not GPS. CLSI can be very inaccurate. If B.K phone provider was AT&T as outlined in the PCA, that phone was serviced by 6 towers in the Pullman and Moscow area. One tower, depending on phone band, provides service to both the King Street address and B.K address.

A PCA can be written to make CLSI look more accurate and precise, by stating CLSI location data and then obtaining a video from a place or business showing the suspect in that location; what it doesn't include is how many businesses LE canvased for the video. The CLSI data may show a 5-mile radius of a location at a specific time, then LE canvases all businesses in that area for video at that specific time until they get footage of the suspect.

I'm positive they have the right guy, but the use of only CLSI tracking concerns me, I have seen it effectively discredited in court cases.
Every time a cellphone checks in with its provider—to send a text message, to start or end a voice call, or just to get a push notification—it lodges a time-stamped piece of location information with the nearest cell tower. This data, CSLI, isn’t as precise as a GPS coordinate, but in urban or suburban areas it can narrow someone’s location down to less than two miles and give their angular relationship to the nearest cell tower. String a set of these time-stamped points together and you can disprove an alibi or reconstruct an escape route.

It just made me irritated..
He lands this PhD programme and applies for

One new revelation in the court affidavit had a tinge of irony: After enrolling in the Ph.D. program at Washington State in August, Mr. Kohberger had applied for an internship. In an essay as part of the application, he described his interest in helping rural police departments collect and analyze data as part of public safety operations. The internship he applied for was at the Pullman Police Department, whose officers would wind up helping in the investigation of the murders

and then doesn't switch his phone off .. ffs!!!

Then pops in to somebody elses' house and spends approx 12-16max minutes stabbing 4 strangers to death and leaves quickly though nobody is chasing him and he had ample opportunity to kill a fifth but demurs because he only wanted to kill 4?

Cost/Benefit!
Seriously?

I'm laughing too, actually.

In his (stupid) mind, each victim is a "cost" and the "benefit" is his own perception of self-worth (apparently).

Goes like this:

1. I wanna be a cool famous gangsta/serial killer, yes I do. That's my premise and my goal.
2. Each victim is going to cost me something (risk). But one victim is not enough to make me famous. I think I need...(references Rader and Bundy cases). four! That'll qualify as mass murder - I'll start like Rader did!
3. But can I handle all that risk? Hmm. If I do this quickly, in the time it takes other people to kill just one person, that diminishes the risk. So killing 4 people in 15 minutes is not that much more risky than killing 1. If necessary, I'll err on the side of reason and caution and only kill 3!
4. (While in commission of the crime): I've killed four! I did it! And so far, no sirens. Only one barking dog. That's acceptable and reasonable, off I go!

As you can probably tell, while I do believe criminals use reason, I think that all criminals lack rational self-interest as a second premise and lack moral reasoning as a first premise. I'll go with Kant in regard to what constitutes reason, not recent criminology theorists, every time. But I understand that they (the criminologists) want us to consider that reason can be employed in the commission of a crime. I already get that. It's the premises and gaps in reason that accompany all crime that fascinate me, not the ways in which people use reason to (for example) go to a store without cameras to shoplift if they can do so. Or go to a house with sleeping people to commit multiple murders.

I wondered the same. How do they really know it’s his?
I think forensics can easily tell the difference between a print that was made by stepping in fresh blood, and a print that was made by stepping on dried blood. Also, shoe is probably not the same size as anyone who was on the scene before officers arrived and sealed it.

And we don’t know because IT MATTERS in relation to the investigation still being an active one. There is a reason that we don’t know what she did in the moments after, which means that whatever she did or didn’t do is quite significant to the investigation.
Thanks for sharing your opinion.

He would have left transfer DNA everywhere on that sheath that he'd ever touched it. Each time he opened it to inspect it or use it, he left transfer DNA on the metal button/snap. Since he had to touch that element each time he used the knife, it had the most transfer DNA. The DNA would have been there before he ever arrived at the scene and there's no evidence he put the knife back in or ever touched it again once he started the crime. Sweat could surely have been transferred, but absolutely no need for it. Occam's razor says he took the knife out at some point in his life without gloves, not when he did it though.

Does make me think, though.

A man who has to unsnap a clasp to get out a killing knife...does he wear thick gloves? I think not. Does a man who wants good control and grip over said knife wear padded gloves? I don't think so (maybe nitrile). If he did wear gloves in the house, then that DNA came from the several (many) times he'd gotten his knife out to inspect it and practice with it.
To snap it, he would need to use pressure on the snap; however, to unsnap it, he would merely have to flick the leather piece and the snap would come open.

Do you have the original video link?
IIRC the rear window pillar of that car was too thick to an Elantra.

Here you go, @Boxer. I can't make out the details of the vehicle no matter how slow the speed is. Also, the tree branches are in the way.

JMVHO.

To snap it, he would need to use pressure on the snap; however, to unsnap it, he would merely have to flick the leather piece and the snap would come open.

Yep, and both would likely leave epithelial cells. I would assume they tested the metal component and the leather components, especially the crevices where the two meet. If he flicked that leather piece as many times as he pushed on the snap, both would have touch DNA - but the leather would contain more of it.

I am waaay older than DM, and this is what happened to me a few months ago...

I work at home, and was upstairs in my condo around noon, working on my computer, when I heard the front door sorta open. I figured it was Amazon, putting a package between my glass door and my wooden door. Then I heard movement downstairs. And before I knew it, I heard footsteps on the stairs. I ran out of my office, and saw a strange guy walking up the stairs, almost to my second floor. I started screaming at him, "Who are you!? Get out of my house!?" He remained on the stairs, gesturing wildly, but I couldn't understand him. I kept screaming at him till he finally walked down the stairs and left, and I locked the door behind him and was totally shaken. But here's the point. I DIDN'T CALL THE POLICE. It wasn't until I told a co-worker online that she said, "Are you nuts??? Call 911!" So I did. The cops showed up and started going to other condos in the area. Turned out it was a guy who spoke no English, doing a job at someone else's condo and got confused, and walked into mine. Pretty weird that he couldn't figure he was in the wrong place, but that was his story.

My point is: Please don't blame DM.
I've been hanging on to this story but feel compelled to share now too. Back in college, living with 2 other female roommates in a house near campus, a young man walked into our house in broad daylight. Besides checking his hands to make sure he didn't have a weapon, I felt no fear and it didn't occur to me to call the police. I think my game plan was to convince him he needed to leave. Invincible and that all that jazz...not expecting danger.

Apparently my roommate(s) felt otherwise and I found myself ushered into one of our rooms, where we used our bodies to barricade the door (no locks if I recall) and one of us called 911. Cops surrounded the house and had apprehended the man (who ended up being a neighbor that we had never met who was off his meds and confused), but if it had just been me, or the man had been dangerous, it could have gone a different direction.

I think some people just think they can handle things on their own, or downplay the danger because they don't want to make a big deal of something that turns out to be nothing.

First time post here, have been following case closely. I noticed that all tracking on B.K phone was done using CLSI and not GPS. CLSI can be very inaccurate. If B.K phone provider was AT&T as outlined in the PCA, that phone was serviced by 6 towers in the Pullman and Moscow area. One tower, depending on phone band, provides service to both the King Street address and B.K address.

A PCA can be written to make CLSI look more accurate and precise, by stating CLSI location data and then obtaining a video from a place or business showing the suspect in that location; what it doesn't include is how many businesses LE canvased for the video. The CLSI data may show a 5-mile radius of a location at a specific time, then LE canvases all businesses in that area for video at that specific time until they get footage of the suspect.

I'm positive they have the right guy, but the use of only CLSI tracking concerns me, I have seen it effectively discredited in court cases.
Yes, that has been my concern and there has been going back and forth about cell towers available and their locations.

Maps of cell towers are all over the place. (One map even gave hundreds of billboards, another map counted cell phone stores as a cell tower.LOL)

It appears the Moscow Pullman area does not have 5 g anything.

I'm not very knowledgeable, but know there is a huge difference between cell tower pings and GPS.

I know there is a range and vicinity. I know they cannot pinpoint his location based on cell towers, they can only place that he was in the general vicinity. (Like being in a certain part of town) Where the towers are and their range of services are quite perplexing. But I counted only a handful of towers with urban range of about 2 square miles or so. (Who knows??)

Wish they had GPS! Source of images: Cell Mapper

Screenshot Capture - 2023-01-06 - 16-20-02.pngScreenshot Capture - 2023-01-06 - 16-19-14.pngScreenshot Capture - 2023-01-06 - 16-18-07.pngScreenshot Capture - 2023-01-06 - 16-18-19.png

Last edited:
What’s really CRAZY is BK had the ability to jog 6-7 miles maybe more, yet made the decision to park less than a block away of where he’d carry out a quadruple murder?? I can’t wrap my head around that one??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie