TN - Karen Swift, 44, murdered, Dyersburg, 30 Oct 2011 *husband charged in 2022* #4

Justice warrior investigations blog has a lot of details from Karen’s case. This is a PI based in Tn. Interviews and recordings with Karen’s children, her children talking with Cathy Bona, etc.

While reading through I found this picture of Karen sitting at the bar at the Halloween party talking to Dena Q(Cathy Bona in front.Karen is over Cathy’s shoulder)

Attachments

• C187040E-4237-4953-830B-C79F9626388E.jpeg
    C187040E-4237-4953-830B-C79F9626388E.jpeg
    174.2 KB · Views: 34
Oh my goodness, this could end up being very explosive involving a lot of people. I never was truly sure or convinced that David was guilty of her murder. I do remember thinking it would have been so much better if one of them had of moved out when the divorce was filed rather than trying to still live together for the sake of the girls, and KS trying to carry on the single life.

@cocomod Did the StateGazette news article state who David's attorney was in the hearing? I wonder if he can still afford the formidable Steve Farese.

NOV 1, 2018

Just a brief reminder that Karen died from vicious blunt force injuries.

@cocomod Did the StateGazette news article state who David's attorney was in the hearing? I wonder if he can still afford the formidable Steve Farese.

NOV 1, 2018

Just a brief reminder that Karen died from vicious blunt force injuries.

Not this article, but a previous one said he asked for a court appointed attorney.

I was listening to Heather Cohen interview Ashley Swift on Justice Warriors site. She said you know the direction LE is taking the case? They wanted to wait until you girls were older so you could be interviewed because they believe one of you witnessed your father killing your mom? I couldn’t believe that. But then, the youngest girl is 18 now and the other one is 20.

I was listening to Heather Cohen interview Ashley Swift on Justice Warriors site. She said you know the direction LE is taking the case? They wanted to wait until you girls were older so you could be interviewed because they believe one of you witnessed your father killing your mom? I couldn’t believe that. But then, the youngest girl is 18 now and the other one is 20.

Wow!! What did Ashley say about all that?

She just said, yes she knew that’s the direction LE is going with. At the time of the interview 8 years had passed, and she wants justice for her Mom.

Interesting! Do you have a link to it? I'd be interested in listening to it.

Here is an older article I don't think was posted before. He was released on bond. I wonder when his next court date is?! I want to hear the evidence! Justice for Karen!!

David Swift, 54, who was charged with the first-degree murder of his wife, was released on $200,000 bond on Wednesday, August 31.
Terms and conditions of his bond include that he must wear an ankle monitor at all times and is restricted where he can travel. He cannot possess a firearm or crossbow, cannot have any contact with any of the witnesses in the case.

Karen's alleged killer can earn money working from home while wearing a bracelet. Nepotism? Wonder where and with whom he's staying. It is a relief there is a No Contact Order. Think he'll obey it?

AUG 9, 2022 (Pre- extradiction)

“Today is a good day for law enforcement and I’m very pleased the grand jury returned an indictment against (David) Swift,” said Sheriff Box.

“I am so glad the district attorney, our prosecutor, had enough interest in this case to present it to the grand jury,” Box said. “I’ve thanked District Attorney General Goodman for seeing this thing through, and he did the right thing today.”

Swift will remain in the custody < > at the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office until an extradition hearing < > on Tuesday.

Throughout the past 11 years, [Sheriff] Box has remained in touch with Karen Swift’s mother, Carol Johnson.
‘All the evidence pointed to him’: Husband of cold case murder victim Karen Swift indicted

The Grand Jury presents a True Bill for Indictment of 1st degree for murdering Karen because all of the evidence pointed to the husband, DS, then the Judge lets him out on an measly $200k bond. < SMH >

@Niner or @FrostedGlass Anyone have time and/or ability to enter or track Tennessee records for this case, please? TIA

Date of Murder: OCT 30, 2011
Date of Indictment: AUG 9, 2022

Defendant: David Swift
Victim: Karen Swift
Place: Dyersburg, TN

Karen's alleged killer can earn money working from home while wearing a bracelet. Nepotism? Wonder where and with whom he's staying. It is a relief there is a No Contact Order. Think he'll obey it?

AUG 9, 2022 (Pre- extradiction)

“Today is a good day for law enforcement and I’m very pleased the grand jury returned an indictment against (David) Swift,” said Sheriff Box.

“I am so glad the district attorney, our prosecutor, had enough interest in this case to present it to the grand jury,” Box said. “I’ve thanked District Attorney General Goodman for seeing this thing through, and he did the right thing today.”

Swift will remain in the custody < > at the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office until an extradition hearing < > on Tuesday.

Throughout the past 11 years, [Sheriff] Box has remained in touch with Karen Swift’s mother, Carol Johnson.
‘All the evidence pointed to him’: Husband of cold case murder victim Karen Swift indicted

The Grand Jury presents a True Bill for Indictment of 1st degree for murdering Karen because all of the evidence pointed to the husband, DS, then the Judge lets him out on an measly $200k bond. < SMH >

@Niner or @FrostedGlass Anyone have time and/or ability to enter or track Tennessee records for this case, please? TIA

Date of Murder: OCT 30, 2011
Date of Indictment: AUG 9, 2022

Defendant: David Swift
Victim: Karen Swift
Place: Dyersburg, TN
This is interesting. Not much coverage of the preliminary proceedings. Looks like he was released on bond three weeks after he pleaded not guilty to First Degree Murder - which is a capital offense. Normally, a defendant would not be eligible for bond on such an offense. Here's what the statute says:

Universal Citation: TN Code § 40-11-102 (2021)

Before trial, all defendants shall be bailable by sufficient sureties, except for capital offenses where the proof is evident or the presumption great. After conviction, defendants are bailable as provided by § 40-11-113, § 40-11-143 or both. BBM

So, can we infer that the judge found that the case against DS was not that great? Where would we look for that decision? Was there a hearing? Did the DAG object to bond???

"except for capital offenses where the proof is evident or the presumption great"

Perhaps the presumption is not so great which would not be a good thing. The time lapse between the murder of Karen and the arrest of DS indicates fragile evidence with inferences?

We dealt with the issue of "presumption great" in the SuzanneMorphew ProbableCauseHearing against her husband.

DS was arrested per a Grand Jury Indictment from years ago that the current Sheriff Box is now acting upon. Sound familiar ala Sheriff J Spezze.

Message from Sheriff Jeff Box - Dyer County Sheriff's Office - Tennessee

AUG 11, 2022

The Dyer County Sheriff's Office closed its investigation into Karen Swift's murder in October 2019 and handed over evidence to District Attorney General Danny Goodman’s office at the time. Goodman's office then presented that evidence to the grand jury that ultimately indicted David Swift.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/karen-smith-cold-case-friends-react-murder-charges-issued-against-husband-david-swift-11-years-later

"except for capital offenses where the proof is evident or the presumption great"

Perhaps the presumption is not so great which would not be a good thing. The time lapse between the murder of Karen and the arrest of DS indicates fragile evidence with inferences?

We dealt with the issue of "presumption great" in the SuzanneMorphew ProbableCauseHearing against her husband.

DS was arrested per a Grand Jury Indictment from years ago that the current Sheriff Box is now acting upon. Sound familiar ala Sheriff J Spezze.

Message from Sheriff Jeff Box - Dyer County Sheriff's Office - Tennessee
I haven't followed this case and I don't see much information to support the charge. The couple were in the process of divorcing, but a friend said it was amicable. The couple had divorced before, but had remarried and had two kids after. Both parties had had extramarital affairs during the marriage, but they managed to hold it together. There was no prior history of violence between the two. Divorce and extramarital sex just don't seem like such compelling motives for DS to kill his wife. Just another rocky moment in a rocky relationship is my impression. Why murder her, when history suggests she'll return to the marriage in a year or two like she did before? I must be missing something. Hope the news will fill us in.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back