ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 56

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so from what I can tell about how precise cell phone triangulation can be, the answer is definitely:

It depends on many variables.

So, in short, we don't know in this case. We do know the phone was off during the time of the murders, so it's pretty much immaterial what the phone was doing while in the house.

However, in many cases it can be quite precise. As for an actual number in meters or yards or feet, the answers I'm finding vary wildly and many are from the past. 3 meters to ¾ of a mile is a pretty wide set of numbers.

However, with GPS (which surely his new phone had) it becomes more precise. Even so, GPS isn't always precise, either.

Not like finding DNA on a sheath precise.
Because his DNA is on that sheath, and represents the nail in BKs coffin, the defense is going to go all
out to try and negate its importance-- how they will try and do this will prove interesting--they may allege
he was framed or other nonsense and of course they will have DNA experts put forth theories to
confuse the jury.

Nowhere. Both references in the affidavit to the location of Kernoodle's body indicate she was found on the floor of her bedroom
I suggest everyone read the PCA and make their own conclusions. It's slightly open for interpretation depending on how one reads it. It does not say definitively "Kernoodle was found on the floor of her bedroom", so there is room for interpretation and each interpretation is an opinion of the individual until that is clarified.

MOO with a dog, a man and friends all together a sense of safety would be in the house. One would never think in their wildest dreams about the slaughter that happened.
Yeah, they all pretty much done everything right that night. B&D were seemingly safe at home before the rest got back since they gave LE an approximate time that everyone was home by. X&E went out together and returned home together. M&K were the same.

This. Right. Here. Hon, I was a party animal. My house and about two others were the houses to be at when it was goin' DOWN. Some nights there would be people sleepin' over and I'd wake up the next day and wonder who is THAT?! These kids are tame in comparison. I can still turn it on when I get a chance. The weekend has already started here. ;)

I'd have thought one of my bunch had drug home a one-nighter, and let them see themselves out. He's just still masking (in this era) and was just leaving. He probably did spook her, she wasn't expecting to see him there.

I have a firm feeling that the back slider off the kitchen was the main entry/exit point and that area around the kitchen, was a hangout area. It's where all the fun would be happening. Probably why D moved up to that floor. Easy access to everything.

I do believe he was after X and M (the two who worked together at The Greek).

D was awakened at 4:00
At 4:12 X is on her phone.
She heard someone, and it could have been X, (as the Exhibit A Statement reads), say; there's someone here. What if she then walked toward the kitchen, b/c she'd just ordered food? Could it be the driver returning? She meets BK in the hall.
D then hears crying from X's room and a male voice saying, It's ok, I'm going to help you. X is found in the small area by the bathroom and her bedroom.

At 4:17 the home, which has the audio capture was stated as being very close. Less than 50'. The audio picks up barking, a whimper, and a thud. I believe this to be cuddle bug Murphy, who barked at BK, and then was whimpering from being kicked/grabbed/hurt somehow, and tossed into the other room. BK was not there to kill Murphy.

Edit to add link to Exhibt. As OP said, that door shut quick!
I will toast you on this theory. I agree 100% with theory. I think D initially may have been shocked and unsure, but realistically would a college student who is used to people coming in and out actually believe there is a random stranger in your college home murdering your room mates. I doubt she follows true crime like we do, so murder probably never crossed her mind.

I was quite certain LE would not have put those patrol officers in danger by purposely having them pull BK over. I think BK is one poor driver!

Imo it means a lot that they would even put this statement out. Because it would have been completely reckless and could’ve put lives in danger. They recognize that. So imo they feel the need to clarify this to the public—which I don’t think is something they usually do.

Didn’t stop msm from reporting the rumors and filling peoples heads with that bs though.

Having read the affidavit numerous times, I do not have reasonable doubt that BK is innocent. He is guilty, based on the details in the affidavit, imo. Yet, I see people saying they could not convict - they need more evidence. We all have our own opinions. Still, I reminded of the news that broke on Aug. 16, 1977: Elvis was found dead in his Memphis home. Those reports, of course, led millions of people to immediately believe that Elvis was alive.

Same as it ever was . . .

Humans are wild and unpredictable. I can understand why people might want to reserve judgment in this case, but I am guessing that things will change after the preliminary. It's already gotten less "BCK is innocent" since the PCA, of course.

I am confident that BCK will be convicted and the strands of evidence and the story that could be told a trial will hold even more shocking facts. OTOH, he might wiggle out through a plea bargain - not every criminal is required to tell all to get a plea bargain, either (I believe Rader was; DeAngelo wasn't),

I still think BCK wants to have his memoirs out there, even he has to use someone else as main author - that person will show up.

He didn't have the sheath when he left, so where did he put this bloody knife when he got back into his car? On the passenger seat? Floorboard? Bag?

No matter how thoroughly he cleaned the car, there must be some DNA from the knife inside the car.

MOO just thinking out loud

I suggest everyone read the PCA and make their own conclusions. It's slightly open for interpretation depending on how one reads it. It does not say definitively "Kernoodle was found on the floor of her bedroom", so there is room for interpretation and each interpretation is an opinion of the individual until that is clarified.
No. After clearly placing zkernoodle in the bedroom in paragraph 3 of page one, it even reiterates it in graph 4, placing her in bedroom a second time with: "Also in the bedroom was a male."

I think Gavin DeBecker describes this phenomena through several examples in his book The Gift of Fear. He gives examples of how people's instinct tells them something is wrong or dangerous but they have been socialized not to trust their instincts. For example, you're a woman, and at the end of the day in a building that's mostly empty, the elevator arrives at your floor and the door opens. It's a large man you don't know and you feel uneasy. Do you get into that elevator--a steel, soundproof box, or do you wait for another elevator or someone to go with you? Most people get into the elevator because we are socialized to be polite.
The Gift of Fear is a GREAT book and a must read for everyone IMO. I've brought up some examples from his book on this site a few times now when they were relevant to the case I was reading. Thank you for bringing up his book! I should probably reread it every now and again starting with now.

Imo it means a lot that they would even put this statement out. Because it would have been completely reckless and could’ve put lives in danger. They recognize that. So imo they feel the need to clarify this to the public—which I don’t think is something they usually do.

Didn’t stop msm from reporting the rumors and filling peoples heads with that bs though.
Tricky wording in that document. Didn’t direct to “pull him over” but doesn’t mean they didn’t direct them to follow him. My cousin is state trooper and has been directed to follow people (not by FBI that I explicitly know of), he says with enough time someone will make a mistake for him to pull them over. Speeding, driving in passing lane, failure to use turn signal, etc.. He’s had some big drug busts by following people he was directed to follow. (He didn’t tell me not to tell people this so I think it’s common knowledge).

Earlier, I was talking to a family member about this case. Turns out, another one of our family members owned a house in the community where BK’s parents live. Nothing special to report obviously but I was surprised.

Having read the affidavit numerous times, I do not have reasonable doubt that BK is innocent. He is guilty, based on the details in the affidavit, imo. Yet, I see people saying they could not convict - they need more evidence. We all have our own opinions. Still, I'm reminded of the news that broke on Aug. 16, 1977: Elvis was found dead in his Memphis home. Those reports, of course, led millions of people to immediately believe that Elvis was alive.

Same as it ever was . . .

Having read the affidavit I think the guy is guilty, and in this country I am allowed to have and share that opinion.
If I was on the jury I of course would do my civil duty to the best of my ability and set my own thoughts on a shelf to be sure justice had been served.
Problem is, there are some people never selected for a jury, because we spend our lives in as world of science and critical thinking, and teach that to others
That is exactly who the defense does Not want on a jury.

So I am reading the affidavit and it says "Also in the room was a male..." Ie both were found in the bedroom

Everything of any sober source I have read says Ethan and Xana were found in bedroom. Is there some source to contradict he police saying both Ethan and Xaa were found in the bedroom?
None that I could find, and reading strictly from the affidavit, Xana was on the floor, seen as the affiant "approached the bedroom."

Got to love "blue laws" designed to inhibit "blue" or indecent behavior. Town near me had these laws AND all of the youth from their town would come to ours to get their alcohol.... ahhh, the old days.

I think they already know what he got at the Albertson's. IMO, it is linked to allegedly wanting to see his hands at the traffic stop. Salve, bandages, or something to help with a slice wound of his hand or arm is my guess. If they could link the bandages to a scar/recently healed wound on his hand, then it is one more puzzle piece.

His students from his TA class have become very silent. I wonder if any of them have any more input on wounds or behavior.

It is also interesting to me that across the country he was still out at 4:00 am(putting his garbage out in the neighbor's cans). But, it seems that 4:00 am and the early hours are where he roams, harms and stalks. Is it because he can't quiet his thoughts in the deep of the night? Wonder how long he has had this sleep disturbance. Was it this time of night that he came up with his work for his DeSale's professors on murderers and serial killers?

Just my humble thoughts....

The officer was directed down the hall "to the bedroom". It seems pretty clear to me his destination. JMO
OFC Smith and I entered the King Road Residence through the bottom floor door on the
north side of the building. OFC Smith and I then walked upstairs to the second floor. OFC Smith
directed me down the hallway to the west bedroom on the second floor, which I later learned
(through Xana's driver's license and other personal belongings found in the room) was Xana
Kernodle's, hereafter "Kernodle" room. Just before this room there was a bathroom door on the
south wall of the hallway. As I approached the room, I could see a body, later identified as
Kemodle's, laying on the floor.
Kernodle was deceased with wounds which appeared to have
been caused by an edged weapon

Last edited:
Okay, so from what I can tell about how precise cell phone triangulation can be, the answer is definitely:

It depends on many variables.

So, in short, we don't know in this case. We do know the phone was off during the time of the murders, so it's pretty much immaterial what the phone was doing while in the house.

However, in many cases it can be quite precise. As for an actual number in meters or yards or feet, the answers I'm finding vary wildly and many are from the past. 3 meters to ¾ of a mile is a pretty wide set of numbers.

However, with GPS (which surely his new phone had) it becomes more precise. Even so, GPS isn't always precise, either.

Not like finding DNA on a sheath precise.
Also useful are router hits. Even if you do not actively sign on, devices with cell connections turned off, but wifi on can hit routers. With any number of phones (apple for sure) and services eg xfinity open router ,modems it rents, you are leaving your mac address on nearby routers connection tables even if you do not actively connect. If router tables of nearby routers are downloaded within a few days there could be usable and good precision data on those.

But you are absolutely correct. The movement data generated by his phone and even by imaging of his car can be claimed by defense to be the actions of a person who is obsessed but not violent. Plenty of people inappropriately stalk people without killing them. But the DNA on the sheath, and the sheath being to a combat knife, are much more likely to be seen by the jury as definitively putting kohberger inside the home, and in possession of the murder weapon while there.

No. After clearly placing zkernoodle in the bedroom in paragraph 3 of page one, it even reiterates it in graph 4, placing her in bedroom a second time with: "Also in the bedroom was a male."
Well, I think this is an empirical question that will eventually be clear, but for now, if "Also" had a comma after it, it would have a totally different meaning, and a lot of people don't use commas properly. IMHO

My apologies if this has been brought up before, but I'm trying to catch up on the threads. Does anyone know or seen any mention of BK's family having any tracking apps on their phones like Life360? Or an iphone sharing with his parents or siblings? With him living so far from home the parents may have wanted to be assured he was ok living across the country and potentially driving back & forth? Does anyone know if he drove out there at the start of the school year by himself or if his parents helped him move?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melissawilkinson44