ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 57

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thing is, we really don't know that the 2 upstairs were dead. At the point where she heard "It's okay" spoken, she had already opened her door in response to hearing crying.

D.M. stated she opened her door a second time when she heard what she thought was crying coming from Kernodle's room.
D.M. then said she heard a male voice say something to the effect of
"it's ok, I'm going to help you."
Just watching Fox News and Ted Williams said Xana and Ethan were killed first and that we still don’t know who the target(s) were but they wouldn’t have needed to go upstairs if the targets were one or both of those 2.

From thread #55 Blackbeary Yes. This was his 'out', as sickening as it sounds. He could never live up to the expectations of his family, you can see in the police stops in Indiana, how proud his father is of his son, I'm sure his mother and sisters felt the same way.

It all came to a head. I agree, if finally after studying how to plan and carry out the perfect murder, he may have realized that he was never going to complete the PhD program and enter the real world where he had to really make it on his own. So the plan began to form in his mind possibly with no thought to getting caught or the punishment that would follow or maybe didn't care if he got caught and was in prison the rest of his life. JMO.

Any thought to BK pleading guilty and keeping it all to himself???

Long time reader on WS about this case but my first post. If (according to the PCA), they had BK's name by November 29, why didn't they get his DNA from his own garbage? Why use his parents garbage in late December?

Source: Idaho PCA

He likely shared a giant dumpster with a bunch of other students. He also may have been carrying and hiding his garbage elsewhere, as he tried to do at his parents' house. Most apartment complexes don't have separate wheelie bins that are put out for trash days. Chain of custody issues, etc.

They may well have tried but the chances of him watching, after he put his trash out, were likely fairly high.

If they had picked the wrong trash out of the big container, they risked getting no match and confusing the investigation. BK's parents had no reason to be hiding their trash, they were still behaving normally.

I figure BK was pretty much into trying to keep his DNA from being nabbed.

Long time reader on WS about this case but my first post. If (according to the PCA), they had BK's name by November 29, why didn't they get his DNA from his own garbage? Why use his parents garbage in late December?

Welcome to WS!!

MOO government can move slow, lots of steps need to be taken/approvals granted so that everything can be presented and considered at trial. I’ve also seen others speculate that BK may not have produced or disposed of garbage back in Washington. Have seen no evidence of this, however.

He may have been disposing of things in a manner that they could not witness even with surveillance.

I haven't been commenting much, but I've been reading along. So thanks everyone for all the links and great information.

I've read through the PCA several times and have formed a bit of a different idea of what happened, including motive. Many people have commented how odd it is that a seemingly regular guy would commit a mass murder like this as his first crime. I agree. Not because I think he is a serial killer of some kind, but because it's possible his intent was not murder at all.

I'm coming to believe the intent was forcible rape and the intended target was M. I believe he knew where M's room was from prior surveillance. I believe he removed the knife from the sheath, which was looped on his belt and entered through the slider in the kitchen and went directly to M's room, finding her asleep. I believe he unbuckled his belt in preparation for a sexual attack at which time three things happened - (1) M awoke and fought back, (2) the sheath slipped off his undone belt, and (3) K heard the commotion and entered the room. At that point, he killed both of them.

I think his intent was to quickly exit the house the way he came, out the kitchen slider. Coming down the stairs he heard X moving around and saying "someone is here". Now he has a problem. Does he leave or does he dispatch a witness who may call 911 in the next few minutes? I believe he decided to kill X, not knowing E was there. I think he saw X as he rounded the corner and attacked her near the doorway or just inside the doorway of her room. Then he saw E and turned his attention to him as the bigger threat. I think X was still alive, injured, and crying. When he finishes with E he turns back to X telling her he will help her, but he finishes killing her instead.

Then he walks back down the hall, passing DM's room, and exits the way he came in through the kitchen slider. He showed no interest in DM's room or the two bedrooms on the first floor. I believe his focus was entirely on M's room on the third floor, he chose the most efficient route to get there, and did not expect K to be on the third floor at all. I think he thought he could rape (not kill) M on the third floor and then slip away.

I think that's why this crime seems so sloppy. He planned to commit a rape, in a college town, which is a fairly common occurrence and does not attract national attention and 50 FBI agents. He wasn't planning a mass murder; he was planning a rape and at most a local investigation by a local detective or two.

This is all my own opinion and my general sense of the case at this time.

Just watching Fox News and Ted Williams said Xana and Ethan were killed first and that we still don’t know who the target(s) were but they wouldn’t have needed to go upstairs if the targets were one or both of those 2.
Based on what is dear Ted saying that? Just his best guess? It seems likely based on the voices, words and sounds that the roommate heard someone upstairs in KG's room (the dog and the killer being upstairs), then "there's someone here" (probably Xana not KG seeing the killer come down the stairs) and then Xana gets killed and, then, Ethan. If you look at the floor plan, it's the only way the killer could pass the roommates door and she could see him clearly would be if he were coming from Xana's room (as opposed to from down the stairs).

Attachments

• second-floor-moscow-house.png
    second-floor-moscow-house.png
    150.9 KB · Views: 44
All of those I’ve seen attach to a belt with a loop constructed from the leather. The snap is to release the knife from the sheath.

It is hard to identify in photographs unless you know what you are loosing for but the sheaths are intended to prevent the owner from losing their knives.

Kbar sheaths are cut from a single piece of leather, folded and sewn and it’s that fold that creates the loop for a belt.

Lesser quality sheaths often have that loop sewn to the sheath or two slits in the back piece to pass a belt through.
Bought one several years ago. Too heavy and throws you off balance to the side you’re wearing it on. Yes and the leather is very thick. Even the loop that goes around the belt is strong. I would imagine the killers belt would break before the sheath would. The killer may have a different type of sheath than mine though.

If you google USMC KABAR sheaths you'll see a variety of options, some of which are far sturdier than others. Some are held to a belt with nothing more than a piece of stringy leather smaller than the average shoestring. There are also KABAR sheath attachments for belts that use snaps so people can attach them without removing their belts.

I'm not saying it's definitive it was on his belt, just that it seems just as likely to me personally he was wearing it and it came dislodged than he was carrying it around and discarded the sheath when he removed the knife.
As per the PCA, we know the sheath was: tan, leather, marked "Kabar", and had the USMC Globe and Anchor Insignia stamped on it. Find a pic of a "flimsy" one of those, and I'll believe if fell off during the attack.

Attachments

• 38790EF2-2BA9-4EC0-874A-3F0EFC7D4119.jpeg
    38790EF2-2BA9-4EC0-874A-3F0EFC7D4119.jpeg
    11 KB · Views: 7
That simply doesn't seem likely. When he was witnessed coming from the area of X's room he went towards the door in the kitchen and not up the stairs to the 3rd floor.

First time poster. Maybe X was outside her room and saw BK, perhaps even saw the knife. She says aloud to EC "there's someone here". DM opens her door for the 1st time and sees nothing. DM then hears crying coming from X's room so she opens her door again and hears "it's ok, I'm going to help you". Wondering if DM misheard that and BK actually said 'it's ok, I'm not going to hurt you".

I haven't been commenting much, but I've been reading along. So thanks everyone for all the links and great information.

I've read through the PCA several times and have formed a bit of a different idea of what happened, including motive. Many people have commented how odd it is that a seemingly regular guy would commit a mass murder like this as his first crime. I agree. Not because I think he is a serial killer of some kind, but because it's possible his intent was not murder at all.

I'm coming to believe the intent was forcible rape and the intended target was M. I believe he knew where M's room was from prior surveillance. I believe he removed the knife from the sheath, which was looped on his belt and entered through the slider in the kitchen and went directly to M's room, finding her asleep. I believe he unbuckled his belt in preparation for a sexual attack at which time three things happened - (1) M awoke and fought back, (2) the sheath slipped off his undone belt, and (3) K heard the commotion and entered the room. At that point, he killed both of them.

I think his intent was to quickly exit the house the way he came, out the kitchen slider. Coming down the stairs he heard X moving around and saying "someone is here". Now he has a problem. Does he leave or does he dispatch a witness who may call 911 in the next few minutes? I believe he decided to kill X, not knowing E was there. I think he saw X as he rounded the corner and attacked her near the doorway or just inside the doorway of her room. Then he saw E and turned his attention to him as the bigger threat. I think X was still alive, injured, and crying. When he finishes with E he turns back to X telling her he will help her, but he finishes killing her instead.

Then he walks back down the hall, passing DM's room, and exits the way he came in through the kitchen slider. He showed no interest in DM's room or the two bedrooms on the first floor. I believe his focus was entirely on M's room on the third floor, he chose the most efficient route to get there, and did not expect K to be on the third floor at all. I think he thought he could rape (not kill) M on the third floor and then slip away.

I think that's why this crime seems so sloppy. He planned to commit a rape, in a college town, which is a fairly common occurrence and does not attract national attention and 50 FBI agents. He wasn't planning a mass murder; he was planning a rape and at most a local investigation by a local detective or two.

This is all my own opinion and my general sense of the case at this time.
I think this a great summary. I'd add one caveat. Remember the calls to JD from KGs phone and then Maddy's phone? There is a good chance they were in bed together and the first thing the roommate heard was the killer looking for KG in her room. What makes me think that is that the dog barked (although it's hard to tell where that is in the timeline). Anyway, great post!

I'm still amazed she heard anything.

Wasn't that after she heard sounds from upstairs?
She did hear something to that effect afterwards, if you follow the sequencing in the PCA.

But you are assuming that these words or similar was said in a bedroom and therefore could not be easily heard. Thin walls, as mentioned by others, but it could have been said in the living room, around the corner next to the bathroom, and therefore was quite audible to DM since her room was closeby and adjoining onto that room. The PCA does not state exactly that X's body was found in the bedroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LitWiz