ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 58

Status
Not open for further replies.
What else crossed my mind is back when masks were required for Covid there was a style out that was like a neck gator, one could scrunch it down on neck or pull it up all the way over one's nose.
very possible

fact that she gave a lot of detail but affidavit doesn't add a description of his hair colour & style ( standard in police questioning) makes me think he covered his hair

He thought he had all his bases covered, but he didn't consider that he has a very prominent brow & deep-set eyes and so DM noticed that. As @drmrgrl posted, he'd have been better off with maybe a balaclava or ski mask.

Last edited:
This means that the way that they found his DNA and matched it to the sheath (which enabled them to arrest him) is not allowed to be discussed as part of the actual trial in court. I'd find that odd though. It could be something to do with how they took his DNA from the bin but I thought this was admissible in the last few years especially since genetic genealogy tracing is accepted now. Either way, the fact that his DNA is on the sheath will be evidenced at trial I'm sure. The PCA is the probable cause affidavit. It's basically a statement made by the police to a judge to say why they believe there is probable cause to arrest the suspect. The judge then grants an arrest warrant

They won't need to discuss that part at trial and it might even confuse some people in MSM and on the jury. I mean, they could, but they might not.

They now have the guy who matches the DNA on the very knife sheath left near a victim of a knife murder by a particular knife.

I agree. I am leaning toward him going after one of the girls upstairs intentionally as revenge for spurning his advances at some time. He knew where they slept (MM especially due to the M in her window.) Went to get her and found both in there. Then I think he was probably trying to leave and got seen or heard by X eating her food and went in to wake up E (someone is here) and he followed her in there and killed them both.
I agree. It’s plausible that Maddie was the only target.
He may have been caught off guard completely, as I’ve said before, by Kaylee being back, the dog, anyone being awake at 4 am, the DoorDash delivery, and Ethan. A plan to kill one went awry and escalated to 4.

I would hope that a DNA tests were conducted prior to taking it for a ride in pick up truck. Yikes. I guess the mattresses are considered "biohazards", due to the situation...but I'm not sure how large pieces of biohazardous evidence is handled. Anyone?

As for the attorney, Mark Geragos is a Baez Light, imho....but others may think differently. He defended Scott Peterson, iirc.
geragos is excellent

This means that the way they found his DNA and matched it to the sheath (which enabled them to arrest him) is not allowed to be discussed as part of the actual trial in court. I'd find that odd though. It could be something to do with how they took his DNA from the bin but I thought this was admissible in the last few years especially since genetic genealogy tracing is accepted now. Either way, the fact that his DNA is on the sheath will be evidenced at trial I'm sure. The PCA is the probable cause affidavit. It's basically a statement made by the police to a judge to say why they believe there is probable cause to arrest the suspect. The judge then grants an arrest warrant
I think what he is getting at is that the collection method would not be adequate for trial even though it is for probable cause for arrest. They will or have gotten a warrant for BK's DNA -- probably a swab -- and then it will be

If the DNA swab of BK matches the DNA profile from the knife sheath, then BK is 99.9998 % his Father’s child.

Or he has an evil twin brother.

JMO
They have to get the DNA from BK and match it to the sheath. His dad's match is probable cause to obtain BK's DNA
This happens all the time!
It also happens with clandestine DNA one to one matches. They have to obtain it again directly from the suspect. No big deal!

Hello all. Long time reader buy made an account because this case hits close to home for a handful
or reasons. I did want to share a story about an incident that happened to me a few years ago just to illustrate that you honestly have NO idea how you would react in this situation and the people criticizing DM are killing me. On what planet does a 19 year old female, living in an extremely safe college town (per LE) think noise at 4am in her shared party house and seeing a man she doesn’t recognize = 4 of my closest friends have just been murdered?

I’m a professional woman in my 40’s (mom, husband, kids) and live in what you would consider an affluent suburb (leaning toward rural with 1+ acre lots) town. A few years ago I went for a run around 10am on a regular Tuesday. I was running down a main road at the edge of town where houses lined one side and forest lined the other. This was not a desolate road, there is traffic and borders a much more populated town.

As i was running a truck pulled up beside me and a somewhat friendly guy asked where the closest gas station. I stood back and told him to follow the road to one or he could turn around and follow another route. He thank me and continued down the road.

I changed direction and headed back on the same road (my planned route) and maybe 5 min later he had done the same and stopped me again. Said he was confused with my directions and asks again to the closest station. I repeated what i said and he thanked me and took off. I thought it was unusual but figured he was flirting or confused and I was on mine 8 and tired - it was late winter and I was getting cold so I was just focused on getting home and warm.

Until half a mile up the road, i saw he had pulled over to the side and was standing standing leaning on the hood of the truck. My initial
thought was sort of ‘huh? wonder why he stopped again?’ I wasn’t exactly scared, but it made me nervous. I crossed to the other side of the road and there happened to be a street into a neighborhood that I took instead of staying straight and running by him. I looked at him as I turned and he looked at me, waved and said ‘hey, good to see you again’. The neighborhood houses didn’t start for a bit so the road in was just woods. I looked back once i was in the sidestreet and he was back in his truck slowly following me.

At this point I knew this was not normal but I was confused and my mind sort of went blank because I couldn’t understand why someone would follow me. It didn’t make any sense to me. I was running like I always do. I sort of froze there in the middle of the street looking at him and trying to understand what was going on. He stopped the truck, got out, and started to jog towards me and by that point I was terrified and my mind just told me to RUN.
He followed me down the street and though one yard, maybe two, then stopped. I ran through a few more and then stopped and hid in a child’s playhouse in someone’s back yard. At that point I called my husbands cell which went to voicemail so I left him a sobbing message that I was chased and scared and didn’t know what to do. I waited in that little house freezing my *advertiser censored* off and scared out of mind for about an hour and then I ran home and locked myself inside. I look back at that day and can’t understand why I didn’t take a picture of the truck and license plate or call 911 or scream or bang on someone’s door. Even when I was hiding in the playhouse terrified my mind kept questioning if I made up with happened or it wasn’t as scary as I had thought. Maybe the guy just needed directions? The idea that someone may have been trying to take me or hurt me is just so hard for me to wrap my head around. It doesn’t ‘fit’ into my life. I ended up reporting the incident to the police but was beyond humiliated that I couldn’t think more clearly or strategically in the moment.

So, please be gentle to DM. We know a tiny portion of what happened that night and we should all hope to god we never experience a fraction of what she has had - and will have to process.
Scary story, so sorry you went through that (and reminded me of Eliza Fletcher, Vanessa Marcotte, Mollie Tibbetts :().

Your thinking WAS clear and strategic - you were able to get yourself to a safe place! Hugs..

No case is a slam dunk and especially a complicated case like this one. The defense is going to try and poke holes in every aspect of the prosecution's case. That is expected. There is so much to a case: for example, how the witnesses hold up under cross examination, the background of the detectives who investigated the case. You know the defense will be looking for issues arising from personnel information they find on the detectives. They will be looking at chain of custody issues- there is just so much involved in a murder case, let alone a case involving four people murdered in a matter of 15 minutes (roughly-give or take). They are going to make a very big deal of that time period as well.
I also see the timeline in the affidavit as a potential stumbling block, although more evidence that the prosecution has could make it erroneous. The defense will quite possibly attack the instrument used for the collection of additional evidence and the arrest. Another possible hurdle will be the announcement of the 2011-2013 Hyundai Elantra, that mysteriously morphed into a 2011-2016 Hyundai Elantra, although I know of no such announcement from the official announcements made by LE.

These are just possible nits that the defense will possibly use to begin picking.

All of this is just in my humble opinion and that is normally wrong.

That's a bit of a shock, if true.
I don't know this guy or anything about him.
What is his reputation?
Is it possible the mattresses were removed yesterday for DNA testing?
Seems a bit odd that they waited so long and didn't use closed vehicles but it was LE, was it not?
He’s a Hollywood lawyer known for representing celebrities and sports figures.

IMO the mattresses were just moved somewhere to preserve them.
I could be ( and often am ) wrong lol

This means that the way they found his DNA and matched it to the sheath (which enabled them to arrest him) is not allowed to be discussed as part of the actual trial in court. I'd find that odd though. It could be something to do with how they took his DNA from the bin but I thought this was admissible in the last few years especially since genetic genealogy tracing is accepted now. Either way, the fact that his DNA is on the sheath will be evidenced at trial I'm sure. The PCA is the probable cause affidavit. It's basically a statement made by the police to a judge to say why they believe there is probable cause to arrest the suspect. The judge then grants an arrest warrant
Nope it isn't admissible. After the genetic genealogy is completed, they then must get a direct sample from the suspect. They arrest the person via probable cause and then get their DNA.

On his quick exit from the scene, and (as far as we know at this point) not going into other rooms and survival of the woman I think we need to parse what we know in hindsight from what he would have been presented with at the time. So the question of why he did not go on to continue killing includes following considerations:

So he has gone into two rooms and found, quite possibly by total surprise, that instead of a single female in each, there are two persons on each room. We can't know what he thought or knew, but we do know there are four more bedrooms. If he knew there aware three or four more bedrooms than the two he went into, he could be concerned that there maybe up to eight additional persons remaining alive in that house. Moreover, due to noise that already occurred, and more noise that was likely to occur if he kept killing -- that surviving people would also be in more roused state than the people he killed had been. That he could be forced into forcing doors against resistance, and perhaps being faced with one, two, three, or four alerted and standing military age males, or perhaps even armed people. Finally that people would be calling cops.
So danger to his person, as well as risk of leaving evidence, would be increased as he faced meaningful resistance.

At the point he fled, for all he knew, police had already been called, and more people, up to eight given the average number he had faced, were awake and likely his ambush advantage would have been gone.

They have to get the DNA from BK and match it to the sheath. His dad's match is probable cause to obtain BK's DNA
This happens all the time!
It also happens with clandestine DNA one to one matches. They have to obtain it again directly from the suspect. No big deal!
I realize all that. I was being a little tongue in check about the question what if his father is not his father.
I meant all they have to do is match BK swab with sheath.

I had thought because he killed 4 that he had killed before and this was escalation.

But on the other hand, the overkill and leaving the knife sheath shows panic and that he didn't really know how to proceed once he actually got into the rooms. Looks like disorganized crime scenes from an amateur
wanna be killer.
This is what I thought too!

My theory was that the perpetrator had killed before and that 4 people was "stepping up his game". I'd also thought maybe a team of killers with the goal of outdoing themselves as it was so frenzied and quick.

I still think BK had practiced at least part of his attack. In order to have the stamina to kill four people and get in/out probably takes some work.

Makes me wonder if BK had ever been there before, inside the house? Had he ever let himself in during his practice trips?

Also wonder if BK had ever stalked any other locations in relation to the housemates?

Where/when did BK cross paths with the victims? Curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member