ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 58

Status
Not open for further replies.

One of the two accounts mentioned (FB) was blocked by mods the night before the arrest and second one was deleted by the user after the arrest (RDT).

In the Rhoden Murders in Pike County, OH, one of the defendants, Angela Wagner, speculated to her son that the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation, was stirring things up on a social media site. And she was right.

A user people speculated knew too much ended up being the lead BCI investigator, Ryan Schneider.

I am wondering whether LE thought or knew BK was on true crime social media threads and whether they were dropping details to try to get him to act.
I don’t think this was him AT ALL. I’ve read most of the posts and it’s just garbage imo.

The Assistant DA at the press conference in PA (after the PCA was approved & BK had been arrested & was in custody) said there were 3 search warrants approved as part of his arrest: (1) for him (DA even gave example to explain this meant "collecting samples" from him, (2) for his car, and (3) for his parents' house. So LE has most certainly collected a DNA sample from BK since he has been in custody, IMO.

"He could not discuss the details of each warrant but said one was for Kohberger, another was for a White Elantra that was seized, and the third was for his family’s residence where he was living."

State police served three warrants on Pa. man suspected in University of Idaho killings
Right. Makes sense. Wouldn't have had it for the PCA but would have it right after ...

I think it depends. If one or even 2 of them in particular was his target and he became fixated on them, I’m not sure the number or occupants would have mattered in his mind initially. He may also have viewed it as a personal challenge given just how risky it was. All just my opinion.
Agree. Some people seem to be taking the view that if BK wanted to kill a person/s, he chose poorly because there was risk involved. I think that misses the mark just a bit, in that the "who" mattered immensely to him. There was meaning (to him) in his act of violence, and that meaning is very much tied up in the victims' profiles/identities and what they represented to him. MOO

I don’t think this was him AT ALL. I’ve read most of the posts and it’s just garbage imo.
100% garbage.

90% of the info he shared was the same stuff others were regurgitating at the time. And 10% of the info was from a day 2 or 3 rumor that ended up being true about DMs reaction to seeing the killer.

I didn’t find any reference to a scream. Only this:

DM heard KG say something to the effect of “there’s someone here“, she heard crying from XK’s room, and a male voice say something to the effect of “it’s ok, I’m gonna help you.“

Neighbor security cam picked up voices or a whimper, a thud, and a dog barking.
Thank you. I was just rereading the affidavit again. You saved me some time. Appreciate it.

. We might not know it, but security cameras at WSU parking lot could have a clear picture of him driving to Moscow and coming back in the wee hours of the morning Of the day of the murders, and also when BK went back to the scene around 9:00 a.m.

wore a mask which only covered the mouth and nose according to the affidavit but I suppose it's possible

Am going to infer from DM's description this means that he was wearing some kind of head covering ( hat) when he exited
The PCA does not say the mask ONLY covered the mouth and nose. Words matter, and small mistakes are how bad info gets started.

Does this chronology make the most sense, you think?

1. BK enters targeting either Maddie or Kaylee
2. Goes upstairs and kills them
3. The noise gets the attention of Xana who is still awake
4. Back on the main floor BK encounters Xana, backs her (chases her?) to her bedroom where she is killed and so is Ethan
5. BK then turns around and exits through the kitchen to the sliding door (and it's when he's on this route the roommate sees him).

The one question I have is why there wasn't a lot more noise when Xana first encountered BK or signs of some sort of struggle in the living room. Her bedroom is out of the way, down a hall from the living room. You wouldn't naturally pass the room coming down the stairs if you were going to exit through the sliding doors. But if there was some sort of encounter at the bottom of the stairs or in the living room, I feel like it would have been more audible to the roommate (who said she thought she heard Xana crying and a male voice saying he would help her and not much else).

Although, I also think when the roommate heard that Xana must have been in the living room or near the stairs, because I don't think the housemate would have been able to hear that if Xana was in her own bedroom (and the roommate was in her bedroom with the door closed) given the distance between the two rooms and the layout of the second floor.

Maybe what happened was Xana encountered BK in the living room or kitchen and he was threatening her with the knife telling her to be quiet - and that's why there wasn't a noisy altercation?

I have to say that the affidavit and the interior tour of the house that was posted have thrown off some of my priors because the details are all a bit different than i'd previously assumed.

IIRC, someone on the last thread linked a NY Times article that mentioned that a dna cheek swab was made when BK was arrested, so that they had a direct dna identification versus the genealogical dna based on his father's dna specimen.

I tried to look up the most recent New York Times articles since the arrest and court appearance, but due to paywall, can't read the articles. It surprised me that when I clicked on the link that someone posted on one of the earlier threads that I could read the NY TImes article which is paywalled. That's why I remember, if I am remembering correctly.
These are the most recent NYT stories. None say a DNA swab was taken, just that there was DNA on the sheath that was closely matched to the murderer's father's DNA.

On Page 4 of the AA it states that DM described the PERP as “not very muscular, but athletically built” (direct quote of the AA, not DM). That seems odd to me. While it certainly is possible that someone could be athletically built but not muscular, it seems like a fine distinction to be made, particularly under the circumstances – in the dark or semi-dark, about a person presumably clothed from head to toe, and, possibly in multiple layers given the weather, and by a frightened 20/21-year-old who only saw the PERP for a few seconds.

I wonder what caused DM to describe the person in this way or that led the LE to summarize it like that.

MOO

very possible

fact that she gave a lot of detail but affidavit doesn't add a description of his hair colour & style ( standard in police questioning) makes me think he covered his hair

He thought he had all his bases covered, but he didn't consider that he has a very prominent brow & deep-set eyes and so DM noticed that. As @drmrgrl posted, he'd have been better off with maybe a balaclava or ski mask.
If she just sticks to her original story and doesn't make any claims about being able to identify him positively by what she saw, her testimony (in my opinion) won't turn the case, but will help bolster it.

This is what I thought too!

My theory was that the perpetrator had killed before and that 4 people was "stepping up his game". I'd also thought maybe a team of killers with the goal of outdoing themselves as it was so frenzied and quick.

I still think BK had practiced at least part of his attack. In order to have the stamina to kill four people and get in/out probably takes some work.

Makes me wonder if BK had ever been there before, inside the house? Had he ever let himself in during his practice trips?

Also wonder if BK had ever stalked any other locations in relation to the housemates?

Where/when did BK cross paths with the victims? Curious.
I can definitely see him committing crimes such as breaking and entering prior to the murders.

Serious question. From the PCA, what did DM hear or see that would have told her a mass murder had just been committed? Nothing. Remember, we have the benefit of that knowledge in hindsight. She did not. Below is a link to an article about a witness that went through the same thing DM did.

Former Adam Levine yoga teacher defends University of Idaho survivor Former Adam Levine yoga teacher defends University of Idaho survivor via Home | Daily Mail Online
The only thing that confuses me about this theory (that she didn't realise what was going on and just thought this was a random party guy etc) is why did DM call all her friends over and then an unconscious person was reported if she didn't think anything bad happened? She can't have left the room either unless she did find the victims, but then she'd probably call the police right away and not her friends and then it wouldn't be an unconscious person it would be a deceased/stabbed person.

. We might not know it, but security cameras at WSU parking lot could have a clear picture of him driving to Moscow and coming back in the wee hours of the morning Of the day of the murders, and also when BK went back to the scene around 9:00 a.m.
Yes and I’m curious if his apartment complex has cameras that caught him.

Do you know when this is scheduled to air? I didn’t see a date/time… I would like to DVR if you know?

NM — googled it and says it’s supposed to air at 10 PM ET on CBS… However, I’m ET and CBS is not airing the episode in my area until midnight… just in case anyone else is looking for it in the 10 PM timeslot and can’t find it, try midnight.
Not sure where you are; I'm in NYC and per my TV schedule, it's on at 10. Hope you at least get to DVR it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23