ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 58

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm so relieved that Murphey, the golden doodle, has another home to recover in.:( I gather that one of the victims shared custody of Murphey with an ex-boyfriend, so the sweet puppy will have a loving home. I don't have children, but I have had doggies my whole adult life.

Yes, but LE has not made any comments yet about finding anything on his computer, right? It's just online commenters and media outlets making what could be sensational statements.
Say it ain't so.
The little respect I had for media outlets is gone, between their nonsense-talking commentators and continual "reporting" based on (supposed) "LE sources" which go unnamed and repeatedly prove to be wrong. To trust them would be like trusting BTK to bring in your groceries for you...

JMHO

It was dark, he was in black. I don't think DM's observations - or lack thereof - are a linchpin to a conviction.

I understand she's the closest thing we have to a witness but she's a victim.

Conviction of BK does not depend on anything she did or did not do.

Put yourself in her shoes at 18 or 19 in a house where strangers are frequent guests.

V-I-C-T-I-M
Anyone in this position has to think of their own safety first. Self preservation is hard wired. Yes, whatever level of fear or danger she may have experienced, she absolutely did the safest thing IMO stay put. It’s a foxhole, I’m safer here than OUT there, he may come back? He may bring others with him? There maybe others here now? I don’t have a weapon? I can hardly breathe? Im shaking? I can’t seem to think straight? I can stay here, hopefully I’m safe here until I absolutely know and can see what is going on OUT there. IMO even this reasoning is certainly not a guarantee of survival, but improves your chances. Hidden is good. It’s sometimes not who you’re watching but who is watching you.
She likely did not have her phone, it was insufficient for calling out, didn’t know exactly what to report? What did she KNOW? IMO

No these were 2 fellow students who shared several classes with him.

Due to WS TOS regarding copyright law we can only copy/paste 10% of articles here unfortunately.

Whenever I open articles from this outlet I get a box about subscription, but luckily there’s a button that says “ maybe later”.
Here’s a bit more:

[…]

Graduate school peers of Bryan Kohberger recall him as actively engaged in their Washington State University criminal justice and criminology program — someone who sought connections while also sharing little about his past in his first semester as a doctoral student. Kohberger — the man charged with four counts of first-degree murder in the killing of four University of Idaho students — presented a social aptitude with colleagues, making casual conversation between classes, two master’s students who shared several first-year courses with him told the Idaho Statesman. That lined up with Kohberger’s demeanor at the program’s orientation last fall, when he was one of the first people to introduce himself to others in their group of 13 incoming students, one of his classmates said.

[…]

Read more at: https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/crime/article270876677.html#storylink=cpy
from your link
The other master’s student said Kohberger “talked down to LGBTQ+ individuals, those who are in a marginalized community, those who were disabled, and women.” Kohberger also declared himself someone who “believed in ‘traditional marriage,’“ his classmate said.

Read more at: https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/crime/article270876677.html#storylink=cpy

and this... why?

In another incident, Kohberger’s classmate said, a colleague hung a pride ally flag on the door of their office, and Kohberger became noticeably upset.

Respectfully snipped for focus. If the Dad did have suspicions (and I don’t think he necessarily did), then I imagine he would have leapt on the incident at WSU. I don’t think I was alone in thinking, when that news was breaking, that it must be the perpetrator of this crime. I think the father would very likely have felt the same, and if he was doubting BK, it would have been a huge relief to him. Might explain why he was so enthusiastic to talk about it.
My take away of the father discussing the WSU incident is that it’s very likely BK’s phone was blowing up with campus alerts during the trip in response to this campus lockdown. I agree if the father had suspicions about BK he would not of brought anything up regarding WSU Moscow etc.

I'm the OP and PA wasn't what I was looking for, darn it. lol

Passive-aggressive behavior is a pattern of indirectly expressing negative feelings instead of openly addressing them. There's a disconnect between what a person who exhibits passive-aggressive behavior says and what he or she does.

What I can't figure out if there's a word for when people think stuff is about them when it is not. Like thinking someone was laughing at you but the laughing person was thinking about something that happened to them that morning. Nothing to do with the 'sensitive' person that thought they were being laughed at.

I guess it's really not important but wish I could think of what that's called. Google was no help. lol
Taking things personally?

I agree. But I am wandering why when would say "lynchpin." if she was a highly credible witness she would add to this entirely circumstantial case with her circumstantial evidence contribution. The DNA is powerful and compelling, but is also circumstantial and no single element is the "lynchpin"

The foot print may not absolutely be tied to the accused, but it can add to narrative the prosecutors offer due to it showing direction of travel. Same with this witness. her statement buttresses other circumstantial evidence leading to timeline, exclusion of other suspects the defense might proffer. Her statements to investigators could be used to counter defense alternative theories, and help prosecution theories the prosecution may have but not known by the public at this time.

So her awareness, rationality, or any real or perceived weakness may be brought up by defense to reduce the value of her testimony.

Again, I have zero issue with her reaction to this extreme trauma. any of us may have acted the same way. But that doesnt mean we can't say that her actions or lack of them may harm her credibility on the stand.
What is to discredit though? Even if she was high as a kite, it doesn’t change the fact that they have BKs DNA on a knife sheath that was found next to a dead body. This isn’t a date rape scenario. IMO.

The PCA. But no signs of him going back to his apartment at that early hour are present. Surely that's where he went after he left the crime scene - but by a roundabout way that is not the most direct way. I recall the PCA saying he went back to Pullman, then leaves again around 8:45 and then goes back, then drives to Clarkton to the Albertson's just after noon (in close proximity to a coffee hut that picked him up on camera, as did the Albertson's.

This is why locals are posting that they think he availed himself of an accessible and calm part of the Snake River to dispose of evidence (on news boards of various kinds, here, elsewhere).
Sorry, meant the “injured” part. There is no indication he was injured.

I'm the OP and PA wasn't what I was looking for, darn it. lol

Passive-aggressive behavior is a pattern of indirectly expressing negative feelings instead of openly addressing them. There's a disconnect between what a person who exhibits passive-aggressive behavior says and what he or she does.

What I can't figure out if there's a word for when people think stuff is about them when it is not. Like thinking someone was laughing at you but the laughing person was thinking about something that happened to them that morning. Nothing to do with the 'sensitive' person that thought they were being laughed at.

I guess it's really not important but wish I could think of what that's called. Google was no help. lol
Paranoia?

We don’t know what BK bought at Albertsons, but the general idea comes from the arrest afgidavit
There is no indication he was injured, so he literally could have been picking up anything. I don’t think they have his blood at the scene or on the victims (at least at the time of the writing of the PCA), otherwise that evidence would have been in there.

I stand by everything I said in my post. This BK investigation would not have gotten all of the money, resources, man-power, and interagency cooperation if it hadn't gotten international attention & if the authorities hadn't been under immense pressure to solve the case ASAP. Look at all of the crimes out there that remain unsolved or take years to finally bring charges against someone. There are a plethora of these & most of them are obviously barely investigated. Or, it takes years for charges to be brought against anyone - if charges are ever even pursued. If you followed true crime/missing persons case - like many of the numerous unsolved crimes on this board - you would be aware of this.

Do you mean to tell me that if this case:

1) Had not gotten international attention & only made the local news (i.e., local to Moscow ID)
2) And didn't include numerous agencies working together

That it would still have been solved as quickly, or at all?! Yeah, right.<modsnip>
Mass murders DO get, and are entitled to, extra agency involvement.

The Serial Murder Symposium was conceived, planned, and coordinated by the staff of the Behavioral Analysis Unit-2 (BAU-2). The resources of BAU-2 are focused on serial, mass, and other murders; sexual assaults; kidnappings; and other criminal acts targeting adult victims. BAU-2 staff members have developed significant expertise on the subject of serial murder and regularly provide operational assistance, conduct research, and provide training on issues related to serial murder.

Last edited by a moderator:
Paranoia definitely fits!! But I'd think there's be some sort of different word for that because it's not exactly being paranoid, more self-centered perhaps? Like thinking everything revolves around you when in fact, everything doesn't.

But in BK's case... paranoia likely fits! LOL
Yeah, maybe something like excessive self referencing (as opposed to a more balanced position where a person is able to 'reality check' their thoughts). Self-centred/self absorbed seems close, but yes, not quite right because those terms seems to connotate ignoring the other rather than misinterpreting the other's words and actions. I think self-referencing describes what you're after but there is a better term than that...

ETA: over self-referencing is one feature of paranoia, but a person can be inclined to over reference the actions and words of others to themselves without necessarily being paranoid (in the clinical sense) IMO

Last edited:
I'm curious why he didn't wear handcuffs and leg shackles when in court?
Is it b/c he is only a suspect?
I don’t think they normally do in court unless they are considered a danger in that setting? Since he has been a model prisoner thus far, he should be able to sit and listen quietly. Later on, they won’t want the jury to see him in cuffs as it will potentially sway their opinions.

I want to point something out.

I have been following a Case for many years. In 2016 a family of 4 in Southern Rual Ohio killed a family of 8. It took 2 1/2 years for their arrests on November 13th, 2018. The prosecution is still on-going, it will be 7 years this April since the murders. Because there are 4 defendants and all were sentenced to the death penalty it has taken so long. 1 son confessed to get the DP dropped for him and his family and will be sentenced to LWOP, then the mother who didn't go to the crime scenes confessed to get a 30 year sentence, then the oldest son was recently convicted at trial and sentenced to LWOP X's 8 plus other sentences. The father of the family is left and still wants a trial.

Point I am making is that before the arrests many of us were suspicious that one of the killers was coming on social media to say the family wasn't guilty etc...

Then it came out at trial that not only had the mother of the family gone on social media to say her family wasn't guilty, but the lead investigator on the Case had been on SM saying things to draw out the killers on social media and to get the 4 to talk amongst themselves in private. "Tickling the wire" they call it.

LE was wire tapping them and by saying incriminating things on SM it got the mother to post more and got her talking on the phone and texting with her family. Their phone conversations and text messages were recorded and there was a bug in a long haul truck the "boys" drove.

So YES, LE does not only READ and POST on SM but can use it to draw suspects out, plus maybe gain some information from other posters.

Was BK posting on this Facebook? Maybe not. But you can bet that LE was reading this Facebook and looking for any signs that the killer was posting. If suspicious, LE could get the IP address.

Lesson? Be careful what you post. LE can always find you.

There's been Defense Attorneys trying out Defense Theories online too, looking to see what sticks. I believe Casey Anthony's Defense Team did but no real evidence of it. It felt as if the team would read some of our discussions and parrot them word by word.
So it's VERY possible. Also, in the LUKE MAGNOTTA case, he taunted sleuths online, leaving tips, and bread crumbs when he killed the kittens it's well documented in the documentary "Don't F*ck With Cats."
I was involved with an online discussion group that helped pinpoint his whereabouts and he started threatening members.
He was smart, quiet clever he knew the FBI and Canadian police would NOT waste time hunting him down over a kitten, it was impossible to get the FBI to care. He even outlined he would escalate to humans next.
What got him caught was a series of mistakes but ultimately when he signed into an Internet Cafe to ego search himself! HUBRIS!
Never underestimate the ego of a killer's desire to search his own crime.

Does this chronology make the most sense, you think?

1. BK enters targeting either Maddie or Kaylee
2. Goes upstairs and kills them
3. The noise gets the attention of Xana who is still awake
4. Back on the main floor BK encounters Xana, backs her (chases her?) to her bedroom where she is killed and so is Ethan
5. BK then turns around and exits through the kitchen to the sliding door (and it's when he's on this route the roommate sees him).

The one question I have is why there wasn't a lot more noise when Xana first encountered BK or signs of some sort of struggle in the living room. Her bedroom is out of the way, down a hall from the living room. You wouldn't naturally pass the room coming down the stairs if you were going to exit through the sliding doors. But if there was some sort of encounter at the bottom of the stairs or in the living room, I feel like it would have been more audible to the roommate (who said she thought she heard Xana crying and a male voice saying he would help her and not much else).

Although, I also think when the roommate heard that Xana must have been in the living room or near the stairs, because I don't think the housemate would have been able to hear that if Xana was in her own bedroom (and the roommate was in her bedroom with the door closed) given the distance between the two rooms and the layout of the second floor.

Maybe what happened was Xana encountered BK in the living room or kitchen and he was threatening her with the knife telling her to be quiet - and that's why there wasn't a noisy

She could’ve been the one to say someone is here as she sees him come downstairs. He quickly follows her to her room, punches her hard. She drops to the floor in a hard thud. E wakes up. BK kills him while he’s in bed. X slowly comes to crying, realizing that E is not ok. BK says it’s ok as he walks to her… He then exits out the side door. MOO

There is no indication he was injured, so he literally could have been picking up anything. I don’t think they have his blood at the scene or on the victims (at least at the time of the writing of the PCA), otherwise that evidence would have been in there.
The schlubby but cool first assistant DA in Pennsylvania dealing with the extradition, more than hinted thought Kohberger wanted to waive extradition hearings and get back to idaho specifically as he had a need to see the affidavit as soon as possible

I think this refered to kohberger not knowing what the investigators had. For example if they did not have his DNA, the behavior of hiding potential evidence with the trash escapades in Pennsylvania which was incriminating would be unnecessary risk to koherger if the cops did not have dna at the scene.

So gloves could be because he knew he did not have sheath and he did not want to leave any DNA around to be collected

He was scared the car would lead to him so he posts saying it’s not relevant on a Facebook group (even though you don’t need to have a criminology masters to know LE aren’t going to be persuaded by a random posting on a Facebook group). But he wasn’t scared enough to avoid posting that the murderer likely left their sheath behind even though that’s not in the public domain, and is the sort of thing that might make LE look into who’s posting it?

Not buying it. He’d have either gotten everything right, or he would have been keeping very quiet about the sheath.

Human behavior isn't necessarily so consistent, but perhaps he didn't care about the sheath anyway, not realizing it had his DNA.

There's no proof it's him, but it wouldn't surprise me if it were.

Last edited:

I just keep thinking they may have not only wanted to take a close look at his hands, face & neck but also to get his voice on tape so Dylan could hear it.
Brilliant if so IMO. Officer does ask BK to speak up, he can’t hear him.
(And yes I know LE has denied being behind the 2 stops)

MOO
IMO one the main reasons for the stops was to confirm the car is BKs. First the officer obtains his DL and then asks "is this your car?" and BK answers "yes". Totally eliminates the off chance claim that the car was sold to some unknown person for cash before 11-12 and the registration had not yet been changed. And, IMO, the second reason was to look in the vehicle to see if there was anything incriminating that was visible (or odoriferous) that could have initiated a vehicle search.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa