ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 60

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's common for PhD students to Uber or deliver food for extra income.
Quite a few in daughter’s PhD program worked outside jobs. Her stipend was in the mid- to upper 30s (major metro on East coast, but not an ivy). Housing was not included. She made extra $ working in a comms lab, but it wasn’t a lot—I still sent her what I could every month.
The amount of lab time & research made working very hard.
Stipend in part was intended to include TA’ing. Not sure if all programs work the same way.

Most likely scenario. The room they were killed in was directly above DM’s room. What she presumed were sounds of Kaylee playing with Murphy in the third floor, we’re K & M fighting for their lives in that bedroom. Jmoo
JMO about some of the topics under discussion.

Knife skills are fairly similar to boxing skills. The idea of boxing is to learn to very quickly and powerful land punches on a person's torso. Boxers know which parts of the body to go for, above the belt and below the neck. They learn the same overall movements that someone wanting to train with an offensive knife would learn.

Take away the boxing gloves, put a knife into the dominant hand and you've likely got a fairly skillful knife-wielder. Hold the knife in the saber manner (not the manner used in the movie Psycho) and you've got a person who could rapidly silence and murder people quickly.

The mechanics of what happened are one thing. But the frame of mind of someone who would feel no guilt, shame, or reluctance about the idea of killing people while they slept in their beds is unfathomable and much less likely to occur in a person than the ability to wield a knife.

This killer not only entertained the idea without sufficient negative input from his brain to convince him to seek help, but he acquired the means to do it and did it.

I don't think he cares if he dies or lives, and I think he is likely enjoying this phase of the process, in contrast to the victims (including his own family) in this case. We've seen people like this through history. The ancients talk about them - they are rare. I don't think anyone could have predicted this, nor do I think any family system or general societal system "failed." Nothing could have fixed this murderer, except his own realization that he desperately needed help. And then, he would have had to find that help, which is not easy, as there are no easy "cures" for this type of person.

ALL JMO.
I totally agree. IMO BCK wanted the experience of killing, and he was willing to gamble his freedom and life to get it. One of my longtime friends was a Force Recon Marine sniper in Viet Nam. He left the military and became one of the best (IMO, and many of his colleagues agree)... one of the best clinical psychologists on the East Coast. I've never known anyone with more personal insight and transparency, so I asked him what it was like to take a human life with absolute premeditation. His words were, "It's a dangerous, potent and potentially addicting aphrodisiac. There's no other experience like it." And believe me he had a lot of experience in many unusual arenas during his long life. BCK initially took aim to obtain this experience through being an Army Ranger and then a police officer... and failed. Then he crossed the line into crime. The bottom line is he did it because he wanted to. MOO

Maybe but those knives are readily available to anybody who wants them $135 I think..
Or even less money. Amazon sells the Ka-Bar sheath for $15 and you can buy the almost identical Ontario 498 knife for $50.

That's one of the reasons why I purchased those instead of the actual Ka-Bar knife. Better value. Or I'm just cheap.

If LE was going to local stores to see if anyone had recently bought a Ka-Bar type knife, can we deduce that the sheath appeared new/newish as opposed to a sheath that might belong to a used/vintage knife?

My thinking for quite some time is that Kaylee started in her own room and was alerted to the intruder by Murphy. As Dylan indicates, it was likely Kaylee's voice that said, "There's someone here." Whether this initiated in her own room or Maddie's, they both died "in" or "on" Maddie's bed. (I think "in/on the bed" is more about semantics than location, but it's arguable.) IMO the order in which victims are listed on the PCA (MM, KG, EC, XK) is the order in which they died, and Kaylee's tearing/slashing wounds from lungs to liver follow with her being in a standing or sitting position rather than being prone like Maddie who was first. I still see Kaylee following Murphy into Maddie's room and running straight into BCK, but she might have been sleeping there (a tight fit when she could've laid on the bed across the hallway.) This encounter between BCK and these first victims is what generated the noise Dylan mistook for Kaylee playing with Murphy; however, I don't think Murphy started the relentless barking until he heard the noise from Ethan and Xana being killed right below when he was locked in Kaylee's room directly above them. As Steve Goncalves said, "It was a hell of a battle going on down there from what the coroner told us." This is a slight reconsideration of my first timeline regarding when/why Murphy started barking. Idaho murders: Father of slain victim says she had 'big open wounds,' calls police 'cowards'

I considered that, too. I've tried looking at the crime both from a very crafty perspective and a sloppy perspective. Crafty would be getting gig work to explain the frequent presence of his car in the area. Crafty would be intentionally leaving a KABAR sheath but actually using an entirely different knife. Crafty would be going to the first floor to open the front door and leave it open to misdirect how he entered the house. Etc, etc. Deliberate distraction tactics. Going down to the first floor to open/stage the front door would also have put him on the stairs near X's room, which is speculatively why he ran into her.

I haven't yet decided which he is - crafty or sloppy. My opinions only.

Link to front door open: Idaho murders: Slain university students' neighbor says front door left wide open after attacks
I agree. I believe whoever committed the murders is either tricky and has a plan to throw LE a curveball. Or totally forgot the sheath was left behind because of the fact they lack basic reasoning & logic.

This whole case could be orchestrated as a point to “win “at something. As a lot of history about the suspect says he has felt like a failure because he didn’t quite mesh well with those of logical thinking.

Or even less money. Amazon sells the Ka-Bar sheath for $15 and you can buy the almost identical Ontario 498 knife for $50.

That's one of the reasons why I purchased those instead of the actual Ka-Bar knife. Better value. Or I'm just cheap.

He could just as easily have carried it safely wrapped in a towel, could he not?

It's not like he typically used one in his career at the time..

Why?
Any ideas @RANCH?

Any thoughts on why he used his own car on the night of the murders?

Given that many homes have cameras, using his own car seems to indicate a remarkable lack of forethought and planning. If he planned all of this carefully, I'm puzzled as to how he decided to use his own car.
There is a difference, I think, with being obsessed about murder, having thoughts of what to do and how to do it, and "planning carefully." And as I said on another thread another day, whatever plans he made could never have survived his first encounter with murdering 4 actual people in the span of minutes.

My guess is there will be lots of digital evidence to this crime. He has no friends except internet to talk to, brag of his intelligence. Made a to do list? Diary? Something will be found, MOO
I agree. I saw where LE took the PC tower from the apt in Washington but how much digital evidence was on it is unknown to us right now. What I'm really curious about is if he packed anything incriminating such as a journal containing his thoughts, lists, plans, etc. (electronic or handwritten) and took it with him to Pennsylvania intending to get rid of it there. I saw in a couple of photos of his family home what looked to be a chimney of some sort (perhaps for a wood burning stove) on the side of the house by the garage. Could he have burned anything in that? Did LE take the ashes if there were signs of a recent fire? IMO it would have been pretty easy to conceal something like that in a bag and stash it in the trunk of the car away from the eyes of his father.

jmo

Okay, I see what your saying about the Johnson Rd at 5:20 now. He was southbound on 95 near Blaine at 4:48. And I agree, likely no camera footage of him after Queen St. If he did indeed scout out a route he thought was camera free, he might have done a fair job aside from the very few cameras that captured him. And you're right, the premise of this whole thing might be far-reaching. :) Even I'll admit that. But, like you, I'm very curious about what he was doing for that extra half-hour, and why he went east before going back west...
There seems to be time unaccounted for both before and after... Doodling around on my own map, it appears he came from the east with no obvious reason for doing so.Route1.jpg

Then a hypothetical path home that matches up with the times...
Route2.jpg

Is there some point of interest over here?
Route3.jpg

He could just as easily have carried it safely wrapped in a towel, could he not?

It's not like he typically used one in his career at the time..

Why?
Any ideas @RANCH?
My guess is that BK kept the knife in the sheath sitting on the passenger seat until he parked and got out. He then slipped the knife/sheath into his back waist band and took the combo out at the beginning of his attack.

He then pulled the knife out of the sheath, dropped the sheath, and forgot about retrieving it before he left the crime scene. JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JR Rainwater