ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 60

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are absolutely correct. There was a misunderstanding. To clarify, I wasn't suggesting this thesis was approved, let alone submitted.
So maybe a personal side project where he is the only one to review it?
I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't an element of what RANCH is suggesting to what he's done. As soon as I heard he was a criminology PhD student, my immediate thought for motive was "Oh he's one of those who wants to try it out for himself." In fact, I even texted a friend of mine that as we were discussing the case that day he was arrested.

He could certainly have seen it as his own private research project in that sense. MOO

It's just something I've never heard of in the US. Not to say there aren't scholarships available to people with certain learning disabilities, but I've only encountered accommodations in the form of approved modifications to help students with learning and with assignments.

When I was a TA in grad school, I had students who had learning accommodations, and it could range from everything to having a note taker to extra time on tests. The onus was still on the student to make arrangements with me for those accommodations. I'd be informed via email at the start of the semester which students had accommodations, but if they didn't approach me for follow-up, I couldn't provide them those accommodations. I couldn't even bring it up to them without them bringing it up first. I also had other students disclose to me that they had diagnosed learning disabilities that they'd not reported, so they weren't eligible for accommodations. I tried to encourage them to follow through with the required office so they'd be eligible, but again, that was on them to seek it.

My own personal experience with grad school is I received a stipend and tuition waiver in exchange for being a TA. My guess is that BK had something similar, though the exact details will differ by institution. MOO
RBBM
JME, they are some students who have accommodations that are not academic, for example, loss of hearing, the individual might not want to draw attention to themselves. Yet, that doesn't mean they haven't applied for some scholarship for students with hearing loss who have excelled in blah blah.

You are absolutely correct. There was a misunderstanding. To clarify, I wasn't suggesting this thesis was approved, let alone submitted.
I also wonder if he planned and carried out the murders as part of his own research. There are probably many reasons, though. He could have been planning and fantasizing for years.

I think he waited to get to Idaho to distance his family from his crimes. It certainly didn't take him long to start planning once he got there.

I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't an element of what RANCH is suggesting to what he's done. As soon as I heard he was a criminology PhD student, my immediate thought for motive was "Oh he's one of those who wants to try it out for himself." In fact, I even texted a friend of mine that as we were discussing the case that day he was arrested.

He could certainly have seen it as his own private research project in that sense. MOO
Interesting. Could this possible research mean he was looking to see how good a job the small local PD would do in investigating this horrendous crime? Seems like he had an interest in how well rural police investigate crimes.
"Kohberger wrote in his essay he had interest in assisting rural law enforcement agencies with how to better collect and analyze technological data in public safety operations," an arrest affidavit states.

Interesting. Could this possible research mean he was looking to see how good a job the small local PD would do in investigating this horrendous crime? Seems like he had an interest in how well rural police investigate crimes.

This is along the lines I have been thinking.
JMO, It's almost as if he was trying to 'hack' the system.
ETA: I pondered a few threads back about if it was possibly aimed at a resentment towards being rejected.
ETA: That was an awful attempt at speaking English. One more time; A few threads back, I pondered if maybe his actions were directed towards LE.

Here's a link about cloud forensics.

What is Cloud Forensics?

Cloud forensics is a blend of digital forensics and cloud computing. It is directly responsible for investigating crimes that are committed using the cloud. Traditional computer forensics is a process by which media is collected at the crime scene, or where the media was obtained; it includes the practice of persevering the data, the validation of said data, and the interpretation, analysis, documentation, and presentation of the results in the courtroom. In short, it is very similar to any other form of forensics.

View attachment 394264

that's how I interpret this line, yes

However IDK from that paragraph whether, at the same time, they checked the phone to see if BK had also been checking the victims SM accounts etc or, if they did, they would include that in the PCA at this time.

link, page 17 122922 Affidavit - Exhibit A - Statement of Brett Payne.pdf | PDF Host
I'm currently trying to find out from anyone here if the second warrant, as explained in the PCA, means that investigators had remote access to BK's detailed phone internet use between June 22 to December 23. My interpretation from the definition of Pen Register and Trap and /trace in Wikipedia is that from 23 December LE would have had remote access to any internet activity BK conducted on his phone and that would include social media. However I may very much be wrong about that as I am no expert. I wonder if there is any verified expert here who could clear this up?

ETA, I think I could be clearer. I wonder if the second warrant allowed investigators to peruse detailed records of BK's phone internet use between 22 June and 23 Dec when the warrant became active/approved or whatever and LE were able to trap and trace and watch BK's current detailed internet use (ie in real time from 23 December inwards). LE didn't get the historical ping data until 23rd Dec, that much is clear to me, but at the same time were they given records, detailed ones, of his internet usage, social media sites visited, calls made, google location data etc in the months prior to the murders? Sorry for long winded, trying to understand this stuff is quite the struggle for me.

Source: Pen register - Wikipedia

Last edited:

I don't personally think his "research" interest existed beyond wanting to kill people for the sake of killing them.

But I do think he smugly assumed a police force he considered "small-time" would be no match for him. We obviously saw how that worked out. MOO

I suspect he wanted the internship primarily because he thought it would give him a leg up in his interest in committing a murder (access to information, for example)--and possibly because the idea of tricking the local police in that way amused him.

I also wonder if he planned and carried out the murders as part of his own research. There are probably many reasons, though. He could have been planning and fantasizing for years.

I think he waited to get to Idaho to distance his family from his crimes. It certainly didn't take him long to start planning once he got there.
Yet he made so many mistakes!

Despite taking classes about digital forensics etc, he brought his phone to the scene (lol) and turned it off and on shortly before and after the crimes, pinging within the vicinity of the crime scene.

Plus the knife sheath which just cements his guilt IMHO.

Also wanted to note that when looking at the knife in pictures, IMO the weapon itself did a lot of the damage, not so much that BK had amazing knife wielding skills.

Was it the essay for the internship?
I am threads behind, and as a student, I was back in class today.
I just wanted to run an idea by you all.
Of course, all JMO.

Could BK have been treating this whole, awful tragedy as a 'thesis'? The ultimate research?

Was this orchestrated to be his actual Ph.D. thesis?
Sometime in the past and again today I posted this idea, and now that I read he lacked data for his Master's.... Yes, I wonder if he planned to respond to his own survey as the killer, and perhaps fake some additional responses to increase the n. Then use survey data as basis for dissertation. Since he's writing his dissertation then the crime is not solved, and he has the only connection with the now extremely infamous killer. Mass murderers like to communicate so he may pop up on social media from time to time. BCK has an established reputation by the time he graduates and may be able to launch his career with a large LE, FBI, someplace important. Totally MOO!

Last edited:
I don't personally think his "research" interest existed beyond wanting to kill people for the sake of killing them.

But I do think he smugly assumed a police force he considered "small-time" would be no match for him. We obviously saw how that worked out. MOO

I suspect he wanted the internship primarily because he thought it would give him a leg up in his interest in committing a murder (access to information, for example)--and possibly because the idea of tricking the local police in that way amused him.
Thanks for your reply. You could very well be right.

Maybe BK's desire to be a member of the Pullman PD would be access to information, like you mentioned, that he could use in his personal and private research on how well (or poorly) the small agency performed it's investigation.

Perhaps some of his possible targets were in Pullman's jurisdiction along with Moscow. JMO.

I am suggesting this murder as subject/basis for a dissertation but not as a crime he committed but as a crime he is studying because he is using himself and his experience but pretending the killer is the other guy, the guy who answered his survey sometime in the future. The other guy who never got caught. More MOO.

I am suggesting this murder as subject/basis for a dissertation but not as a crime he committed but as a crime he is studying because he is using himself and his experience but pretending the killer is the other guy, the guy who answered his survey sometime in the future. The other guy who never got caught.
That sounds like he's delusional. Is that what you are suggesting?

Yet he made so many mistakes!

Despite taking classes about digital forensics etc, he brought his phone to the scene (lol) and turned it off and on shortly before and after the crimes, pinging within the vicinity of the crime scene.

Plus the knife sheath which just cements his guilt IMHO.

Also wanted to note that when looking at the knife in pictures, IMO the weapon itself did a lot of the damage, not so much that BK had amazing knife wielding skills.
Moreover, don't forget that, according to the affidavit, he left the house at a high rate of speed.

Moreover, don't forget that, according to the affidavit, he left the house at a high rate of speed.
Leaving behind an eyewitness that places him within the home at the time of the murders.

All those trips BK had taken to Moscow since August are totally unrelated!

The idea of him studying crimes so heavily in school and then committing one of the most atrocious crimes I've ever heard of makes me feel sick whenever I think about it. Because studying criminal justice, you also study how it affects victims. He KNEW he'd be ripping families apart IMO. He did not care. Disgusting.

I see many posts discussing how long it took BK to kill everyone. Not to sound morbid, but I don't think it is that difficult if a person is sleeping and caught by surprise. To kill and incapacitate someone immediately, cutting the throat would make the most sense, especially if someone planned and researched ahead of time.

So sneak upstairs to kill one of the girls (surprise-both in the same bed) slit ones throat perhaps woke the other one up and was able to quickly slit the others throat.

Went to leave and realized someone was up, moving around (X.) Went through the house to her BR and there was some sort of struggle with X, confusion by E just getting woken up. (Who was it that had the worst wounds?) So he would have definitely had more of a struggle with X and E.

Question - is there any information as to whether or not the 3rd Floor bedroom door was locked and broken into?

However, fast killing should betray some prior experience, no? There is something in this whole story that screams, experience with the knife. Where would BK get it? He was not in the army or Marines, he did not work as a butcher. Where did he get such experience? Different wounds, too…

They ought to take a look at that Travis Juetten murder in Oregon, which was carried out in almost exactly the same manner as the one in Moscow. At least find out if there's a good alibi.

Kohberger just completed his first semester at WSU, he moved there in the summer of 2022.
In 2021, BK was enrolled at DeSales, working as a security guard, and living in PA

No link between stabbing murders in Idaho and Salem, police say

At a news conference Wednesday, Moscow Police Chief James Fry said he had been made aware of the unsolved Salem case. But police Friday then said they had ruled out any connection between the two stabbings.

“There have been numerous media inquiries about a 1999 double stabbing in Pullman, Washington, and the 2021 double stabbing (with one death) in Salem, Oregon,” Moscow police said in the Friday news release. “While these cases share similarities with the King Street homicides, there does not appear to be any evidence to support the cases are related.”

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member