ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 62

Status
Not open for further replies.
Throughout the investigation, before the arrest, LE was asking for tips and telling people they were interested in information to gain context into the events. They repeatedly posted : "Our focus is the investigation, not the activities."

Looking back now, what do you make of this?

Does served in this context mean the same as executed then? ie LE arrived at BK's appartment with the warrant and beagn searching his appartment/entered his appartment at which point the warrant is served/being served as opposed to executed/being exicuted? Just seeking clarity.
Yes. Both terms can be used to describe acting on the warrant. Some were questioning earlier if it was illegal because BK was not there at the apartment to be 'served'. My point was a search warrant for a particular property will have no person component, it simply allows access to the property. I assume they also drafted a search warrant for his DNA when he returned to ID, that would be served upon him personally, he is the evidence.

Last edited:
They can confirm if patient is there. Quote: "What HIPAA says: Location and general health status (i.e., directory information) can be disclosed if the requester identifies the patient by name unless the patient has objected to such disclosures.".

Think about it, sort of like, when you call to talk to a friend in the hospital, the hospital operator puts you through. The hospital just cannot give out patient's condition, medical info. Behavioral Health tho is a different matter.
I kind of wonder if the defense wanted this story to get out and did give permission.

When police reported to the home prior to the murders on a distrubance call, there was a period where they were waiting for one of the residents to come to the door, police canvas the house while they wait. Start looking at the video below at 33:35. Police bodycam picks up a set of golf clubs through the curtains in the 1st floor spare room to the right of front door. These could be Ethan's IMO

After watching this video, I have new thoughts on why DM might have taken so long to call LE that morning. I'm sure it's been mentioned, but I haven't seen every thread.

If DM wasn't sure about what had gone on, or to what severity, she might have been more concerned about getting someone in trouble. I'm not throwing shade on the victims at all, but let's face it, these are some pretty wild college kids, I'd say, so the activities going on in that home could very well be such that one of the housemates wouldn't be inclined to want LE inside. JMO.

Good point, if so, she has made a big mistake.
Yes she did. But two things came to mind. (I am sooooo far behind, I apologize if this was already discussed). Not saying it's right, but with the impact this has had on the town/university she may not have cared. And secondly, do we know that LE didn't have the necessary paperwork to get that information? JMO

I was thinking about his touch dna being found on his knife sheath button tab. If it was hard to open, maybe it was new and the leather still stiff? There are at least two military surplus stores in Post Falls. I suppose a debit card would not identify anyone if that was the payment form. I was thinking he might have purchased the knife and sheath as a set to use just for this occasion. If that were true and provable, would it be one more thing to connect him to the murders?

No. You are not discussing/sharing patient medical info by calling out a patient's name. You are not violating HIPAA by stating someone's name

That's probably true but my dentist' office used to have us sign in when we got there on a large sheet and they removed that a couple of years ago, saying it violated privacy. I guess because other patients could read it and see who was there ahead of them.

Throughout the investigation, before the arrest, LE was asking for tips and telling people they were interested in information to gain context into the events. They repeatedly posted : "Our focus is the investigation, not the activities."

Looking back now, what do you make of this?
This is a good point. I would guess they were and are still trying to piece together exactly how BK crossed paths with the victims to begin with, and why that night in particular.

Well, actually, they haven't said they didn't find anyone else's DNA on it. They only said they found his DNA on it. Right after the murders, they became fixated on the Elantra and this DNA tied him and his white Elantra to the scene. This could be one of the holes for the defense unless there is his blood DNA found throughout the rest of the scene and only his, besides those of the victims.
JMO
(pg. 2, paragraph 3 from PCA) "The Idaho State Lab later located a single source of male DNA (suspect profile) left on the button snap of the knife sheath."

JMO
MOO

I kind of wonder if the defense wanted this story to get out and did give permission.
The patient would have to give permission for any medical information but I am not aware of any medical information being let out?

Unless you mean the office staff mentioning his demeanour in the office lobby/wait room? A casual comment about seeing a patient's demeanour in a waiting room would not fall under HIPAA.

The health information privacy issues are interesting, but complex. There are actual regulations, but many of the protections afforded are actually governed by a privacy notice form to which patients agree when entering a hospital or medical office. The nature of the privacy notice varies from facility to facility and often have options the patient can choose to waive certain rights, such as allowing clergy access to the patient's name, location and religious preference.

Most privacy notification documents give providers great leeway with sharing information with law enforcement when required.

Speaking with the press was probably not a good idea for the practice involved. But describing a person's appearance before medical care was provided, especially if no health information is released, is a gray zone.

That's probably true but my dentist' office used to have us sign in when we got there on a large sheet and they removed that a couple of years ago, saying it violated privacy. I guess because other patients could read it and see who was there ahead of them.
Well, a list of patients' names posted is very different from staff coming out into the waiting area and calling out a patient's name. Two very different things. Offices can also have their own privacy rules.

Over here, folks only began locking doors a couple years ago. I always have because of having lived so long near Los Angeles. There have always been evil people, but it seems they act with more impunity today. What is it that causes a person to cross that line where you wouldn't even touch a stranger, much less harm them? People have changed.
On another subject: I was thinking about his touch dna being found on his knife sheath button tab. If it was hard to open, maybe it was new and the leather still stiff? There are at least two military surplus stores in Post Falls. I suppose a debit card would not identify anyone if that was the payment form. I was thinking he might have purchased the knife and sheath as a set to use just for this occasion. If that were true and provable, would it be one more thing to connect him to the murders?

Yes, thank you, you seem to have misunderstood, I am talking about some defense attorneys aggressive styles in the court room, and I did not state they are all that way. I never stated that they were not important. I am referring to some attorney's style.
Thank you for clarifying.

tapatalk

I can't find a link to the original forum where it's believed BK wrote posts but you can google BK and visual snow and come up with some articles about it.

If it was him, which it may not be, I keep thinking it all could have been an attention seeking game. We have no actual proof that is was him or that the diagnosis is accurate and it somewhat concerns me that if something is repeated enough, it seems to become fact.

Holy hell, so sorry this happened to you. I've read many similar stories from domestic abuse victims and I completely understand why some feel their only choice is to put a bullet in their stalker and then do the time in prison, because then at least it will be over when they get out.
OMG! This is beyond horrible. Are they still doing it?

I’m leaning the other way… I think he might have encountered an awake X right away. We know she had just received DoorDash. Her door might have even been open at that point.
OK, that is def a possibility. If that is what happened, I'd think he also would have had to, for lack of a better word, dealt with both X & E at that time. Unless one of those two were his intended targets from the start, it would mean that his plan had gone sideways almost immediately. And if that is the case, it makes me doubtful that he then would have continued on to go after K & M. I mean, he'd have been, imo, in some distress about his plan going off the rails so quickly and disastrously, and likely at that point would just be beating a hasty retreat, rather than heading upstairs to target K and/or M knowing first-hand the unpredictability of what he'd run into there. Just pure speculation on my part, of course, and trying to make sense of the illogical is almost certainly a fool's errand. Paint me guilty, in that regard.

I’m leaning the other way… I think he might have encountered an awake X right away. We know she had just received DoorDash. Her door might have even been open at that point.
When DM opened her door the third and last time, after she had heard the crying from X's room, she saw the man clad in black walking towards her, past her, then towards the sliding door (exit). Are you thinking she was actually seeing him coming down the stairs towards her? She would have had to have her head out the door then. Or do you think he went back into X's room again before leaving for some reason?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back