ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 62

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to point out, staff uses first names only when calling for you. At least that is my experience. Imo.

What I'm wondering is, can a Drs. Office acknowledge that someone is a patient of theirs at all? If they can, I'm personally disturbed by that. Imo.
This doesn't have any bearing on the case though. So I guess I am a bit confused.

I don't know...I'm just not feeling that with him this time around. He looked defeated and a bit gaunt. And scared.
View attachment 394870
Well then, he got his wish of feeling emotion instead of depersonalization (I'm being snarky). Also, I wish someone would shave the back of his neck. It looks a mess.

Edited to clarify I don't intend to be "snarky" with the poster. Just with respect to BK himself.

I understand your feeling, but I believe that the prosecution probably needs the extra time to prepare for trial just as much as the defense may. I want them to be as fully prepared as they can be when this goes to trial, so that this guy gets convicted and put away for life. Justice delayed does not have to mean justice denied, and in this case, I do not believe justice will be denied. That is certainly my prayer. JMO
I thought that the defense may have wanted to go with a speedy trial to hinder the State from preparing the best case possible against BK.

Looks like the decided against using that strategy. JMO.

The key thing to remember about the car is that it had no front plate in the videos, so it stood out from Elantras registered in WA and ID. But in a college town, there might have been dozens of Elantra's with no front plate. I notice they didn't point that out at all. They just kept asking about Elantras until his finally rose to the top. They probably didn't want to tip anyone off so that they re-registered their car.

We may be surprised how many matching cars they ran down and eliminated one way or another. Then they got to his and couldn't eliminate him. And one thing after another, the pieces started falling into place. But they apparently couldn't get his DNA. Without a match to that DNA they had, they were stuck. I think that's when they took some of his parents' trash back in PA and proved the familial match. I could be very wrong, but I think that was done before he left school to drive back home with Dad.

Working backward on DNA is an investigative nightmare. In my hometown, a young girl scout disappeared and was murdered in 1975. A semen sample was found on her body. They had one suspect, a young man from her neighborhood, but the case went cold. Forensics were not good in 1975 but miraculously, that semen sample was preserved properly. 20+ years later, still working the case, the police asked everyone they could find of a certain age range that lived in the area of her home for a DNA sample to try and find or eliminate suspects. It didn't give them a suspect, but it did give them a long list of people NOT involved, including that young man who spent 20 years under a cloud of suspicion. Several years after the DNA sweep, they arrested a transient for a different rape and murder, and when they ran his DNA looking for other possible crimes, his DNA matched the sample from her case. When confronted with the evidence, he confessed. Because all they had was the DNA, finding him at all was pure dumb luck.

And this is where I have a major issue. Really. First, supposedly they have all single-plate Elantra owners in ID and WA and a DNA. Much as I am all for investigative genealogy, isn't it easier to pick up some coffee cups from the Elantra owners and directly compare to their DNAs? Than spend time and money building trees from Gedmatch material?

Another thought - if his parents did DNA tests, submitted DNA to Gedmatch and unlocked the matches (because apparently the DNA was 1/2 match with the Dad), it tells a lot about the parents' social responsibility and also, that they never expected something like this to ever happen to their kid. Thinking of it...

Now, the case you quote is very different. Semen in rape or murder cases is exactly where familial DNA works ideally. But these are old cases. Now, owing to Paul Holes and GSK case, every rapist and murderer knows what not to leave. Partial DNA, transfer DNA is contestable. Semen, not so much (there are some complex cases, but usually it is a direct clue.

MOO: Paul Holes and the media should have kept the details of GSK under wraps, tbh...it would not have propelled Paul to the stardom, but as the method, familial DNA could be of a better use today if the details were not known. What do you think?

We don't know all details of phone tracking. It is still more usable. Digital footprints, too. DNA is very usable, but also, not.

That's not the genetic DNA using GEDMatch databases that the articles and the poster I was responding to are talking about and I think you know that. There is some controversy about using the databases, there has never been any controversy about using DNA collected from trash.

ETA:
But I did say I was open to correction and you're right. I should have said "genealogy DNA databases" instead of just "familial DNA" to avoid any confusion.
Actually no, I didn't know that was what you meant. Familial DNA and DNA database tracking are different to me. I thought maybe you'd missed the familial part on the affidavit. In fact, the whole conversation confused me as I thought familial DNA matching was allowed everywhere, but hadn't had time to research. There was no offense meant, just trying to help.

Throughout the investigation, before the arrest, LE was asking for tips and telling people they were interested in information to gain context into the events. They repeatedly posted : "Our focus is the investigation, not the activities."

Looking back now, what do you make of this?

If at that point in the investigation they may have been looking for some sort of drug connection? Maybe they were fishing to find out if the locals could tell them about some weird creepy dude that they bought weed from and were letting them know they wouldn't pursue any charges against them if they had info? Just a guess IMO

I’ll confess that I wondered about that ‘soften him up for a plea bargain,’ too.

I think it's definitely a tactic defense attorneys, particularly PD's, can use.

He gets to stay in "innocence limbo" (presumed innocent by the court but deprived almost entirely of his freedom). I think he will adapt to jail and be a model prisoner, but the perks of a county jail system can be minor and the people around him will keep changing. I have no idea what Idaho State Prisons are like. Some jails in my state are so notorious that prisoners want to move on and just get into the prison system, although Death Row isn't much of an improvement. Prisons often have exercise yards that jails may not have (the jails in my county have no exercise facilities for prisoners, particularly in the phase 1/Intake jails).

Meanwhile, I figure that he and his attorney have received the autopsy results, which is a sobering moment for everyone.

To me, the process of Justice has begun. If delay is their tactic and it's going to be, say, January 2025 before this is set for trial (change of venue motions, many evidentiary hearings that don't even start until sometime this summer or early fall), he gets to sit in jail, observed by all and with very few belongings or privileges. He can write letters to his family and possibly have visits with them if they travel to him. He's used to being alone with a computer and using social media platforms and engaging with the world in his own way. Now if he's lucky and behaves, he may get an occasional book from the jail library.

Bleak.

I thought that the defense may have wanted to go with a speedy trial to hinder the State from preparing the best case possible against BK.

Looks like the decided against using that strategy. JMO.
That would have made sense, too. But I still think since this is most likely going to be a death penalty case, why rush it, on either side?

We know he parked at 4:04 and X was on TikTok until 4:12. If he didn't enter until after 4:12 and killed X & E first, then he sat in his car for at least 8 mins and only has 7 minutes to do both murders on two floors before he is seen running out at 4:20. Also, the thud at 4:17 when the dog also started barking is heard by the camera nearest X's bedroom, so that seems most likely to be X, so it's possible that Murphy started barking after hearing a crash on the second floor loud enough to pick up on a neighbor's camera. It's a lot less plausible like that.

The surviving roommate didn't mention hearing a dog barking, which I think would have been much louder in the home where the dog lived than outside at the neighbor's ring camera, so I have to wonder if a different dog in the neighborhood was barking.

All MOO.

Pardon me for interrupting and going OT, but what are TAT posts?

Right, I agree but stabbing a person, that close up, reaching up at his face, nails digging into his neck, eyes, pulling at the mask. Possible IMO
If X ( or any of the 4) was stabbed in the lungs, heart, liver or neck, she would have been incapacitated immediately. She would not be able to fight back.

So you're saying if the victims left doors unsecured that will not help the defendant in this case.

If I got this wrong let me know.
I'm not saying that at all. I have zero idea how this will play out. People(jurors) have a tendency to be wild cards. Some will consider that secured or unsecured BK had no right to enter. Some will consider that a person who doesn't secure their does gets what they get. I can't say if having unsecured door will or won't help the defendant in this case. I only know the legal aspects of burglary and the entry policy on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LitWiz