ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 63

Status
Not open for further replies.
This makes me strongly curious as why WHY he thinks there's a co-defendant when there has been no public mention of one by LE...

It doesn't mean "he thinks" there's a co-defendant, it is 1 of 18 requests by the defense today to The Court, and so is not significant, IMO

ETA: it could be a way for the defense to "clear the bench" and put LE on notice that if "a" co-defendant" (LE accuses anyone else of these same crimes) is identified, LE has to share that:

Idaho Murder Suspect Bryan Kohberger Requests Info on Mystery 'Co-Defendant' as Next Hearing Is Set for June​

Inside Edition
By CHRIS SPARGO
First Published: 8:58 AM PST, January 12, 2023

Bryan Kohberger briefly appeared in court on Thursday where he waived his right to a speedy preliminary hearing.

"Bryan Kohberger briefly appeared in court on Thursday where he waived his right to a speedy preliminary hearing.
This means that the Washington State University PhD student, who is accused of murdering four University of Idaho students in the early morning hours of Nov. 13, will not appear in a courtroom again until June 26.

Kohberger and his defense team also filed a request for discovery this week, asking among other things for information about a "co-defendant" in the case.

The probable cause affidavit does not identify a co-defendant and authorities have not suggested that Kohberger may have had an accomplice when he allegedly murdered Madison Mogen, 21; Kaylee Goncalves, 21; Xana Kernodle, 20; and Ethan Chapin, 20.

Inside Edition Digital previously reported that Kohberger did ask members of law enforcement if they had arrested another individual in connection with these murders after he was taken into custody last month.

In the court filing submitted by his public defender Ann Taylor, Kohberger requested: "Any written or recorded statements by a co-defendant, and the substance of any relevant oral statement made by a co-defendant whether before or after arrest in response to interrogation by any person known by the co-defendant to be a peace officer or agent of the prosecuting attorney, or which are otherwise relevant to the offense charged."

That is just one of the 18 requests for discovery Kohberger submitted to the court.""

Bryan Kohberger Requests Info on 'Co-Defendant' in Idaho Murder Case

Last edited:
MormonAttorney
"Stalking is the hunting of humans. It is an extremely deviant behavior."

Thanks for sharing your story of being a victim of stalking. I know it's not easy to share. I agree it is extremely deviant and dangerous behavior and I wish our society took it far more seriously than it does.
I'm sorry you experienced it. I hope they have stopped by now.
I do feel the girls knew or felt they may have been stalked or being watched.
SG Kaylee's father mentioned it.
I haven't met a woman that wasn't stalked at one time or another NOT on your level maybe but most women are stalked, but not all end up killed.
I experienced something almost as bad as your stalking. Prison slowed the stalker down only for 6 months then upon release started right back up again.

re "co-defendant" - forgive me if this was suggested/dismissed: maybe setting up insanity defense. Co-defendant is one of his other personalities. Of course they exist. ;)

but my logical brain says it is pretty standard and too much is being read into it

I wonder what the issue of a "co-defendant" is all about, but defense attorney has requested discovery related to this.

Also, she has requested discovery for results of any drug testing, inducements or threats to potential witnesses, and information on any lineup that was used to identify a suspect, including photo spreads, etc. and the identity of any witness who participated in this.

Some of this we expected.
I asked that question earlier and someone said it is just standard language.

Boilerplate, I’d guess?

And/or related to a discussion we had this morning about how LE is suggesting that it’s not going to go after minor offenses—like underage drinking, marijuana use, etc. (Purely theoretical, of course!) But that could be described as a promise of leniency?

MOO
This was my immediate thought, as well.

Several ways, at this point. But mainly, someone found an email address known to be associated with him in high school. I believe several people knew him at this email address back then. They then dragged the internet for what they could find linked to that address.

Then there are the details of the postings as well as a profile pic that shows a good part of his face.

For all I know, he still has that email address.

IMO.
Thanks!

Okay I have an entirely new theory now. This is all MOO, etc.

Since we found out about his Reddit survey, I've questioned whether he might have been looking for people like him. Did he ultimately want to create a community or a partnership?

So then we find out the search warrant is sealed. I believe BK is guilty but I have also racked my brain trying to figure out what could be a threat to LEO and public safety other than another involved party.

I still wasn't ready to really consider an accomplice until I saw this today.

Yes, BK could be playing games. I truly do feel like this has been the culmination of a game for him.

But then I consider how fast everything happened. We don't even know what time the car was parked. It was still moving at 0404.

What if there were two people and one was circling around watching for the other to come out of the house?

I hope you're not getting all that from the word "co-defendant" in the pleading, because that is just boilerplate wording.

I think those requests are all just standard at this juncture. There won't be much or anything in some of those categories.

So is defense fishing?

Of course they are! As they should. It will help them more if they get evidence that's already in these categories - but they're entitled to all evidence that could come up at the Preliminary Hearing anyway.

The one about leniency is very interesting and to me, the most likely category to aid the defense if Chief Fry's last request of the public (to provide context, to not worry about being investigated by LE for one's own minor infractions - not sure his exact wording) is the most interesting.

Makes me think that he may indeed have been dealing a bit in transactions that are legal in WA but illegal in ID.

Because IMO it's relevant to motive in the long run
Agree! Read the last paragraph of this section of the article

Former classmates have revealed Kohberger was heavy-set and the subject of bullying and cruel taunts in middle school.

'The whole clique of popular girls made fun of him in school. They were the cheerleaders and the ones that every kid had crushes on,' another classmate who did not wish to be identified told DailyMail.com.

'They literally tortured him, girls started making fun of him in middle school.'

But Kohberger seemed to turn his life around in high school, where he took up boxing and lost weight.

'He was a totally different person. He worked out constantly and was super aggressive,' the male friend said.

'He had a short fuse and was constantly trying to change his style and personality to fit in with cliques.'

A third former classmate added: 'It's interesting to me that the girls he's accused of killing were nice looking and seemingly popular, much like the ones that made fun of him throughout his childhood.'

IANAL but It seems that many if not all of these items may be standard when submitting discovery requests. For instance, it’s asking for Grand Jury information when we know there has not been a GJ for this case. I don’t think we can imply there will be a co-defendant or anything else really as a result of this request. . Would love to have one of our lawyers weigh in.

Of course they are! As they should. It will help them more if they get evidence that's already in these categories - but they're entitled to all evidence that could come up at the Preliminary Hearing anyway.

The one about leniency is very interesting and to me, the most likely category to aid the defense if Chief Fry's last request of the public (to provide context, to not worry about being investigated by LE for one's own minor infractions - not sure his exact wording) is the most interesting.

Makes me think that he may indeed have been dealing a bit in transactions that are legal in WA but illegal in ID.
My first thought was are they trying to insinuate something about DM? Sorry I don't even know the poor girl, yet I find myself being very protective of her.

IANAL but It seems that many if not all of these items may be standard when submitting discovery requests. For instance, it’s asking for Grand Jury information when we know there has not been a GJ for this case. I don’t think we can imply there will be a co-defendant or anything else really as a result of this request. . Would love to have one of our lawyers weigh in.
Perhaps @Alethea could tell us her learned opinion of item #2 in the Defense Request for Discovery?

Source:

My first reaction was that it was boilerplate. Why should attorneys reinvent the wheel when they already have a set f standard requests that cover everything?

Very good point about the Grand Jury info!

{{ SNIPPED BY ME FOR FOCUS }}

I will admit, early on before BK was arrested, I entertained the idea that this could have been going on. But that was when I had my eye on someone else as the perp who was all over SM at the time talking about himself, which included detailed stories of his drug use.

Agree! Read the last paragraph of this section of the article

Former classmates have revealed Kohberger was heavy-set and the subject of bullying and cruel taunts in middle school.

'The whole clique of popular girls made fun of him in school. They were the cheerleaders and the ones that every kid had crushes on,' another classmate who did not wish to be identified told DailyMail.com.

'They literally tortured him, girls started making fun of him in middle school.'

But Kohberger seemed to turn his life around in high school, where he took up boxing and lost weight.

'He was a totally different person. He worked out constantly and was super aggressive,' the male friend said.

'He had a short fuse and was constantly trying to change his style and personality to fit in with cliques.'

A third former classmate added: 'It's interesting to me that the girls he's accused of killing were nice looking and seemingly popular, much like the ones that made fun of him throughout his childhood.'
There are about 15 million high school students in the US in an average year. Let's say half are boys: 7.5 million. Let's say 10% of them were bullied like that by the popular pretty girls. That's 750,000 bullied high school boys. Stats say there are about 25-50 serial killers in the US at any given time. That would mean, even if we had 25-50 new serial killers every year (which clearly we do not), 749,950 bullied boys do not go on to become killers. It's not the bullying. Bullying is awful, but it is not "the cause" or "the reason" people go on to kill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LornaJay