ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 65

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched an interview with a NYPD detective/CSI expert. He stated that evidence can be collected from the HVAC intake filters - hair. dog hair, sin cells, respiration molecules etc. all get sucked up into the filter and system.

Maybe the HVAC if full of his shed DNA?
Sin cells..finally a typo that sounds right!

I know you're done with this topic, but I just wanted to follow up on this.
The link you provide here is information about a specific piece of software - Kismet, which ironically I did come across in my mission of discovery.

Kismet is a system that must be installed by the end user and actively in use at the time these activities occurred in order to do these things. It is not a consumer device, it is not available to be installed on a consumer router, it must be installed on a linux/unix network server. There is a similar application that can be run on a windows network server.

And perhaps unsurprisingly, there are a fair number of people concerned with the privacy aspects of any commercial networks that might utilize it.

That leaves your second suggestion - BK's phone records. While all my research turned up zilch on routers logging this info, I didn't even try to see if cell phones record it. That was my logical conclusion - that either the "touching" was logged on BK's phone or by his provider (which I believe is in Pennsylvania).

The only other possibility is that SG was just confused as I have never heard a peep about it from anyone else. That seems like a viable proposition, but when I watched him saying it, several times, it just didn't seem like he was confused at all.

So I'm left just to scratch my head on the whole thing. Which is why I said I'm not convinced that it can be tracked.

But I'm open to being convinced! :)

Yep, which is why I just posted about the FBI. They're not using Kismet. They're using Pegasus and Stingray. I believe they brought in Stingray by around November 16-17th (I'm being moderately optimistic, it could have been sooner or a bit later). OldCop mentioned the geofencing aspect of it early on (which dovetails with the area that the public was instructed to scrutinize).

I'm not going to try and explain Stingray or Pegasus. I don't think anyone who isn't an FBI expert knows all the capabilities, nor are they completely available to the public. However, it's interesting to go down those rabbit holes (or the history leading up to them).

My experience with the FBI says that it's rare for one FBI agent to know everything about their particular corner of investigation - the information is very carefully channeled. Often, one agent is surprised by what another agent has learned. Criminal investigation is amazing at the level the FBI conducts it. My main FBI contact has now retired, but I do think about trying to get him to enlighten me about this case (but I think he wants a big break from crime, and more family time).

Lots for criminals to try and understand. Not in textbooks. Gained through life experience and even then, every major investigation has careful information control and segments what each group knows so that only a few people know most of it or all of it.

Chief Fry is the person with the most need-to-know and this will remain his investigation until he retires or steps down. And he knows way more than BK or SG about this investigation. We won't know even a fraction of what he knows - even if it goes to trial.

Maybe consider this when we wonder how BK might have incapacitated the victims. BK was a boxer. Could he have slugged them first and knocked them out or rendered them helpless? If it was immediately before the deed, it would not develop into a bruise once heart stopped pumping blood. Just a thought
I think that’s what happened—a quick jab to the face followed by a stab. JMO

However, according to the affidavit, BK's phone didn't connect to a Moscow cell tower after Nov 14.
I know that previously in the thread I mentioned alternative reasons that BK might have traveled frequently to Moscow, but IMO it is so very incriminating that he apparently stopped going altogether after Nov. 14th. I guess the defense could argue he was too scared after the murders, but any alternative reason he might have had for repeated nighttime visits to Moscow wouldn't have simply disappeared after the murders (i.e., a relationship, friendship, a specific restaurant / food he could only get there).

I'm not sure my ISP would have the resources or incentive to log the IP or MAC address of every cell phone that ever passes within range of my router without connecting and to store that information long-term. I, alone, live near a large apartment complex. I have no doubt that in an average day over 1000 cell phones pass within range of my mesh network. And I'm just one of literally millions of people using my ISP.

Like I said, I don't even see what incentive an ISP would have to collect such useless information, but I suppose anything's possible.
RBBM
But is it really "useless information"?

If it can potentially be subpoenaed, maybe not.

MOO

I believe she tapped n paid after realising she didn't have enough credits. Also there were around 150 to 170 ppl watching that stream live so it could be useful information if he was - twitch collects that data. Edited to add Twitch Statistics & Charts you can check data on twitch streams here
They paid for their food but the food truck guy gave them someone else’s food because their ride was in a hurry for some unknown reason. MOO

Your last paragraph really has me confused as well. I don’t understand why he would walk by a potential witness and leave her alive. I’m also confused as to how the coroner said the victims all died in their sleep, when it now seems like, from DM’s recollection, they potentially all were awake.
The coroner said they all died in their bedrooms. A reporter leaped to “in their beds asleep.” IIRC

Could he have entered the house twice that night?

While everyone was asleep. 3 o'clock hour. On foot. Reached his target, was confronted in some capacity by K, commit murders 1 and 2 without notice from the floors below and exited. Had his car parked at a distance. At which point he realized he'd left the sheath behind.

Hence the circling, risking re-entry. And it was his search for the sheath that Murphy, DM and X heard, ending in two additional murders.

Might account for the lost minutes.

JMO
His phone was at his residence at like 2:42. First spotted on the camera near King Rd at 3:30 something (he took that very roundabout route to get there), drives by the house 3 times and leaves, comes back the fourth and that is when murders are committed

IMO they believe he only went in once.

The coroner said they all died in their bedrooms. A reporter leaped to “in their beds asleep.” IIRC
I believe the coroner would not confirm where they were found but said something to the effect of "They were sleeping when the attack started" and LE walked that back almost immediately and the coroner was basically never in front of the media again.

I’ll chime in to add that the FBI has a CAST team that uses some novel, but interesting, methods regarding historical cell data, but the courts can’t decide how reliable they are because no one that isn’t in the FBI can seem to explain how it works to the layman.

Here’s a good article on it: Here's the FBI's Internal Guide for Getting Data from AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon
Yes! And the Cellular Analysis Survey Team was fairly heavily involved in this investigation. (per PCA)

Put the pure evil coward in a prison yard with the other inmates.

Want to see the evil coward feel the same kind of terror that Xana felt in her final moments of life...
It’s pretty horrific murdering people and senseless. IMO I just don’t want to hear his whining. Just because you can do something for example start yourself on fire, and anybody could but do this, people are not running around starting themselves on fire. It was a choice and he chose to murder people. Justice awaits.

Eating at a nearby food place or bar maybe? I think the only reason they pointed this time out was because it didn't bridge to the following day as maybe some of the others did.

Utilizing the cellular resources providing coverage to the King Road Residence doesn't mean he was anywhere near King Road. How far do those cellular resources go? 2 blocks? Three miles? Half of Moscow? The fact that BK utilized cellular resources providing coverage to the King Road Residence doesn't mean he was near the house, oddly enough unless those resources only provide coverage to that one Residence.
I agree...

Re the 8-21-date and the ticket. Less than 1/4 mile from the intersection of Pullman Hwy and Farm Rd where he was stopped is the 24 hr grocery WinCo Foods. I would imagine several people shop late in the evening to early morning otherwise the store wouldn't be open 24 hrs. Shopping at 10:30pm doesn't seem that weird to me.

The affidavit says: "...on August 21,2022, the 8458 Phone utilized cellular resources providing coverage to the King Road Residence from approximately 10:34 p.m. to 11:35 p.m. At approximately I 1:37 p.m., Kohberger was stopped by Latah County Sheriffs Deputy CPL Duke, as mentioned above."...

It continues in that paragraph with " The 8548 Phone was utilizing cellular resources consistent with the location of the traffic stop during this time (Farm Road and Pullman Highway)."

The cellular resources at the traffic stop location quite possibly are the same resources as 1122 King Road. Why add that last bit about the traffic stop resources? They almost had to because they couldn't say truthfully that the phone was turned off, yet they didn't want to add any other reason the phone could have been in the area so they word crafted that the resources were "consistent" with the traffic stop location.

IMO, if the traffic stop was less than 2 miles from 1122 King Rd, another 1/4 mile to the WinCo Foods would have placed WinCo Foods within the same cellular resource zone.

jmo

Yep, which is why I just posted about the FBI. They're not using Kismet. They're using Pegasus and Stingray. I believe they brought in Stingray by around November 16-17th (I'm being moderately optimistic, it could have been sooner or a bit later). OldCop mentioned the geofencing aspect of it early on (which dovetails with the area that the public was instructed to scrutinize).

I'm not going to try and explain Stingray or Pegasus. I don't think anyone who isn't an FBI expert knows all the capabilities, nor are they completely available to the public. However, it's interesting to go down those rabbit holes (or the history leading up to them).

My experience with the FBI says that it's rare for one FBI agent to know everything about their particular corner of investigation - the information is very carefully channeled. Often, one agent is surprised by what another agent has learned. Criminal investigation is amazing at the level the FBI conducts it. My main FBI contact has now retired, but I do think about trying to get him to enlighten me about this case (but I think he wants a big break from crime, and more family time).

Lots for criminals to try and understand. Not in textbooks. Gained through life experience and even then, every major investigation has careful information control and segments what each group knows so that only a few people know most of it or all of it.

Chief Fry is the person with the most need-to-know and this will remain his investigation until he retires or steps down. And he knows way more than BK or SG about this investigation. We won't know even a fraction of what he knows - even if it goes to trial.
Stingray that mimics a cell tower?

It's probably not a popular opinion right now, but I am sincerely wondering if he was seeing someone (casually maybe, but romantically) who lived near 1122 King road. This person has maybe already been cooperating with LE and has therefore not been in the media? ALL IMO, but it's something that I'm curious about and it doesn't mean he didn't commit the crime. He could have even only recently started dating someone in Moscow in anticipation of needing an alibi for his late night drives / eventual commission of the crime.

Again, just something I've wondered about, too. I understand that we've all read quite a bit about BK's potential issues with women, and we have yet to hear from (for example), a previous long term girlfriend, but he was capable of being social and was probably interested in dating.

Edit just to say I realize this is unlikely from the current information we have. I agree with others, though, that he might have gone to bars or parties in Moscow and near 1122 King road.

Some people just so private, you never really know about that part of their lives. I have a friend who is so private that her friends have given up trying to figure out if she’s seeing someone or single at any given moment.

OldCop is a friend of mine. He may not say the same. :p

Whatever SG learned regarding this, and whether or not it is even accurate, I am confident of one thing. He did not learn it from the FBI. Those people are the complete opposite of the coroner. Wild horses couldn't drag inside iinformation out of them.

Nope, but maybe by people who work alongside them.

And often with deliberate intent (in giving information out that's not official).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong