OK - Athena Brownfield, 4, found deceased, Cyril, 10 Jan 2023 *Arrest*

Question to the attorneys on this site. Looking at Oklahoma statutes and here is this clause that says a person cannot be punished for omission of a required act (in this case caring for a child) if someone, acting in their stead, is performing that function. I know there are other statutes that get real detailed on providing child medical care and child support, so those points may still be punishable, but does this particular paragraph protect the little girls' bio-parents, since they apparently had some type of agreement (verbal if nothing else) that the Adams were caretaking for the kids? I have not heard of any legal documents that would even allow for the medical treatment of the girls (i.e. POA or temporary guardianship papers that would give the Adams the ability to take them to a doctor). That seems like a punishable offense if they just left them with no papers to allow for their medical care, but, again, don't know if that's the case.

"§21-30. Failure to perform duty. No person is punishable for an omission to perform an act, where such act has been performed by another person acting in his behalf, and competent by law to perform it. R.L.1910, § 2801. "

I think it depends. As you mentioned it can depend on the specific state law at issue and how that state has enforced and interpreted its laws in other cases.

Family law can be a bit lenient here because they want to encourage people to deal with their own issues without always involving the state. So take a common example: a young mom has a baby at 17. She lives with her parents. It seems reasonable and fine for that family to privately agree that the grandparents will take primary care of the grandchild until the mom graduates school and grows up a little. Would we want the mom charged or arrested if her parents, the legal grandparents, agreed and were providing great care for the baby? The hope would be that mom gets more involved and takes over as a great mom.

Absent a reported issue, the state is not going to police how we run our families. So I think that's how that statute has to be read.

If instead, in my example, that mom dropped her baby off at her friend's house, knowing her friend is a drug dealer and does not know how to care for children, no one is caring for the child. In that case, all parties may face charges. So I think it is not just intent but circumstance and outcome dependent too.

I think it depends. As you mentioned it can depend on the specific state law at issue and how that state has enforced and interpreted its laws in other cases.

Family law can be a bit lenient here because they want to encourage people to deal with their own issues without always involving the state. So take a common example: a young mom has a baby at 17. She lives with her parents. It seems reasonable and fine for that family to privately agree that the grandparents will take primary care of the grandchild until the mom graduates school and grows up a little. Would we want the mom charged or arrested if her parents, the legal grandparents, agreed and were providing great care for the baby? The hope would be that mom gets more involved and takes over as a great mom.

Absent a reported issue, the state is not going to police how we run our families. So I think that's how that statute has to be read.

If instead, in my example, that mom dropped her baby off at her friend's house, knowing her friend is a drug dealer and does not know how to care for children, no one is caring for the child. In that case, all parties may face charges. So I think it is not just intent but circumstance and outcome dependent too.
Thank you. This goes with my un-attorney gut feel. For instance, for those who oppose abortion, we encourage adoption or placement. I have extended family which actually are exactly this case...only without the neglect and murder, mind you. One of my nieces fostered and then adopted one of her 1st cousin's children. So I would hate to see laws that discourage placement when you realize you can't provide parenting. It's really important we allow for that case. I just feel like there may not have been enough legal documents in order in this case, so I'm waiting to hear the rest of the story.

I wonder if one of Adams' bio-kids told police they saw Ivon do something to Athena?
Hmmm.
Idk; but it's officially a recovery now.
:(

CYRIL, Oklahoma (AP) — An effort to locate a missing 4-year-old Oklahoma girl who authorities believe was killed by a caretaker has become a search for her remains, officials said Monday.

The search for Athena Brownfield, missing since last week, is now considered a “recovery operation," the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation said in a news release.

“I can barely talk, you just never know that it can happen to you,” said Athena’s grandmother, Penny Brownfield.

With the child's guardians now behind bars for murder and neglect, family members tell News 9 they’ve ended up in the crosshairs of an outraged public.

“All those keyboard warriors they need to just stop,” said Brownfield

“People are being nasty and mean, and blaming innocent family members,” said Brownfield.

In a post to Facebook, one person wrote” I hope someone can answer this. Where are her parents?”

Another person said this would have never happened “if she'd been with people who loved her.”

Another commenter said more people should be held responsible and said “There better be more than two arrests made when this all comes out.”

A woman related to Athena's biological mother, who did not want to be identified, out of fear of being further berated by the public, told News 9 that Athena's mother "is not a horrible human being." She said the mother temporarily entrusted her daughters to her cousin, Alysia, a year and a half ago.

The relative said “Athena’s mother is grieving right now, she's just trying her best to process it, and cope with it, the best way she knows how, " said the relative.

I wonder if one of Adams' bio-kids told police they saw Ivon do something to Athena?
Entirely possible but it looks like the most damning information came from his cellphone. Per the article.

That sweet little angel.

JMO

Sadly not surprised. Heartbroken.

Missing Athena Brownfield, 4, 'was beaten to death by her caregiver on Christmas - and buried near a fence at an old property where they used to live', court documents reveal

Missing Athena Brownfield, 4, 'was beaten to death by her caregiver on Christmas - and buried near a fence at an old property where they used to live', court documents reveal

No.

Christmas.

No, just no.

Oh, sweet little.

JMO

Omg poor little baby.
I wonder if the other little ones witness this horror on Christmas.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

CYRIL, Okla. (KSWO) - Newly released court documents shed new light into the murder of Athena Brownfield.

In the court documents charging Ivon Adams with first degree murder and child neglect, officials lay out the timeline and more details about what happened to the 4-year-old.

According to the paperwork, after Athena’s sister was found in Cyril, she was interviewed by authorities and told them she had been home alone and was tired of being alone.

1673975436598.png

Rest gently and fly with the angels, sweet Athena !

Hoping they find her remains soon and am thankful she's not in water as more evidence will be preserved.

I wish we had a crying emoji here ...it would be so appropriate for these threads !

This is horrifying. And she knew, then left her children with him so she could go off on a dirty weekend with some guy she just met?.

I have many words, none of which I am allowed to use here.

Sleep well little Athena, you deserved so,so much better. X

I can't get out of my mind the pictures of the "caretaker" living it up with her new boyfriend as if she didn't have a care in the world....two weeks after witnessing Athena's violent death. At the same time, she left her own four children and Athena's sister in IA's "care."
It doesn’t add up, imo.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back