ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 67

Status
Not open for further replies.
<modsnip> Does BK have a doodle? No. Who has a doodle? Kaylee and the occupants of 1122 King Road. <modsnip>

They do not shed as much as many dogs (see my avatar for reference to a dog that sheds like crazy, two times a year). However, ALL hair eventually falls out of any mammal. Each hair has its own lifespan. It's hard to avoid animal hair if you are around one.

If there's Doodle hair at BK's apt, that's excellent circumstantial evidence to add to the ever-increasing pile.
I'm just saying I don't think the hair they found is Murphy's because doodle breeds don't shed as much as other dogs and also it was weeks after the fact they found the hair. No one has said the hair they found is from a dog, much less from a doodle breed type dog,

Last edited by a moderator:
Doodles are not breeds. They’re mutts. Even poodles shed at an extent. Doodles may or may not shed, it is entirely unpredictable.

MOO
I know they aren't a breed lol. Why is everyone jumping down my throat? just asking a question. No one has said the animal hair they found is from a doodle breed dog and yes there are lots of different breeds that are doodles.

I just thought of something...when D & B called friends (Im assuming males) over the morning of the 13th and apparently, several spoke with the 911 operator and Im guessing one or more of those friends went inside if only to the second floor.
A lot of college kids wear Vans and easily could have stepped in something within the crime scene, maybe that latent shoe print was from one of them? We haven't head a lot about it, and I would think IF it was the killers it would be upfront and center as the sheath. IDK MOO
BBM
Yes, it is more than plausible that latent shoe print was not left by BK.

Not sure what you mean by the text I bolded.

Vans are so common, I'm not too excited about the shoe print as evidence unless luminol revealed it.
JMO

Well, if he is I find it kind of odd he owns no neutral black clothing as of the date of the search warrant. Unless he took his wardrobe with him. I'll give him a pass for now as I'm the queen of the 13 piece wardrobe. But still JMO
I would imagine he ditched everything he wore that night with the knife. IMO.

Okay, regarding Murphy, or any dog—

There seems to have been a breakthrough where scientists can use rootless hair to identify, via DNA.

Question is, has that already been extrapolated to dogs and other animals, or might Murphy make forensic history?

(Emphasis added.)

Is it exonerating, or merely lacking in evidentiary value? Surely everyone expects they will find traces of BK in BK's home!

I'm not saying the defense won't be sure to remind the jury if nothing of the victims or crime is found in BK's apartment and car, but it will be up to jurors (or the judge, if no jury) to decide whether that is exculpatory.

I can't answer, because each time I use any word that is a synonym for "exonerated" or "exculpatory," I end up in a long dialogue with some who disagrees with me.

To me, a student of many ordinary people who have been on juries, these are all meaningless terms. If there's a total lack of evidence from inside BK's apartment (nothing whatsoever), then there will be a few people (5%?) who think that is enough for reasonable doubt (which could result in him not being convicted - does that mean he's exculpated or exonerated? I don't know).

If the same thing happens with the car, then one juror might be in the mindset that we see here on WS, from about 10-15% of our fellow WSers. They want MORE than what we already know, and are keen to see that LESS is the same as...not guilty.

The defense will make this all dramatic. "A man goes and kills FOUR PEOPLE and there's no evidence in his car...in his apartment...on his computer...etc.)

Keep in mind that there appear to be strong attempts by BK's side to launch the idea that SODDI, and that BK was framed by someone who stole the knife, stole his car, returned it in the morning, and he's entirely uninvolved. I guess they also stole his phone, but, well, there may be someone who buys that.

Imo It sounds like they forsee an issue with either the way they collected/processed the DNA.
Or with the DNA sample itself.
No, it is not that at all. Putting that wording in the PCA protects LE's warrant. For example: if they were granted the warrant based on DNA evidence only, and the DNA evidence was not conclusive, the warrant and all actions after are "fruit of poisonous tree". LE is pleading, should the DNA not be what we (LE), with our experience and knowledge, expect it to be, don't throw out the whole PCA, they are protecting their PCA in the event the DNA did not pan out. They wanted the weight of the other evidence to be considered as valuable and evidentiary as the other elements, should said DNA be deemed inadmissible.

A public defender can only step down in the case of a conflict of interest

A judge cannot end the trial on their own discretion. BK has full right to trial by jury

If the evidence becomes truly overwhelming against him, perhaps the defense starts to look for a guilty plea in exchange for taking death penalty off the table. But I think the evidence is far from overwhelming right now. Many cases with far more evidence are tried all the time and some of those people even get off... reasonable doubt.

Examples, please?

First post to this site - be kind, please.

From a legal standpoint, if evidence from his apartment ties to the victims and evidence from his parent's home
also points to his guilt, can the defense attorney refuse to continue with the case? Does the judge have any
discretion in discontinuing the trial? Yes, I understand the suspect has the right to a jury of his peers, but.......

From the perspective of an Idaho taxpayer, to proceed with such overwhelming evidence would be a total waste
of money. What has been the precendent is similar cases?
Sure, right after we burn up the Constitution. Just kidding. Most likely this case won't go to trial, few murders trials do.
The answer is absolutely not. What you are posing would require the complete dismantling of our legal system. It's hard to accept the "waste of taxpayer money" but this is amongst the best imperfect legal systems in existence. There are thousands of similar cases of overwhelming evidence.

There seems to have been a breakthrough where scientists can use rootless hair to identify, via DNA.

Question is, has that already been extrapolated to dogs and other animals, or will Murphy make forensic history?

If and only if those extraordinary lab-based results are part of crime lab kit and analysis in Washington and Idaho.

Of course, if the hair is big enough, someone can send it to Santa Cruz for further analysis. Keep in mind that the prof involved is doing research on full genomes.

For sure there are many labs that are looking at mtDNA in rootless hair, but will that be enough? Because what I read here daily is that apparently some people will still doubt. If the match is 99.9995%, is that enough for reasonable doubt? Not for me, if there's other circumstantial evidence of equal or higher value. But for some, DNA is a big deal and if it isn't perfectly matched, they will be doubtful.

It's sad, because there was a time when people could just use a microscope and see the exceptional and impossible-to-explain similarities between various bio-samples. I hope Murphy makes forensic history, I really do.

At the very least, they should be able to put the animal hair directly in Murphy's family tree. Will that be enough? (IF the hair is from a labradoodle? Which I bet it is).

If it turns out he never used sheets or towels or pillowcases, that will be very interesting. Otherwise, if I were the prosecutor, I'd ask the officer in charge of the warrant service to say there were no such things there. The defense would need to find someone not-Bryan to testify that this is how Bryan lives. Without towels, pillowcases or sheets.

But with a vacuum cleaner, a roku stick and a computer. I mean, I can see it too, but if he did try to socialize by inviting people over (there's one neighbor who thinks they heard a voice there at some point), he must have seemed a bit odd.

The towels, in particular, should still exist and be in the apartment. IMO. I find that rather suspicious. Still moaning about lack of info about them taking the plumbing apart.
Maybe if they didn’t find towels, etc, that’s why they didn’t take apart the plumbing.
That’s the first thing I would have checked is the shower and sinks.

From the unsealed document:

"These murders appear to have been
planned, rather than a crime that happened in a moment of conflict. Ibelieve it likely that
Kohberger planned his actions ahead of time ."

That makes me think that all the murders might have been planned. We've discussed at length how there could have been one main victim and the rest were collateral damage, but that sounds as though he intended to kill all of them from the get-go. JMOO Thoughts?
It's never made sense to me that BK would only be targeting one victim if he entered a home that could have had 6 or more people in it.

Question is, has that already been extrapolated to dogs and other animals, or might Murphy make forensic history?
Not sure if this has been used in courts though.

edit: added 2nd link to paper on extraction from non root canine hair

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members