DNA Doe Project - General Discussion #3

Also forgot to mention that Chattanooga Birchwood John Doe 2006 (Tennessee) is a DDP’s featured case of this month, unfortunately despite of his very high match of cM 404, he has not been identified. The DDP poster says he has “a complicated family tree dynamics”. I wonder what does it mean

Attachments

• 98CEB247-7EE2-4A65-AAB3-1D514F9791C2.jpeg
    98CEB247-7EE2-4A65-AAB3-1D514F9791C2.jpeg
    302.7 KB · Views: 7
Just saw that the DDP answered that “a complicated family tree dynamics” refers to “it is possible that there is an adoption or other event in his family line”

Last edited:
There is an interarticle on Yahoo about Kahn’s identification which discusses other DDP’s Maine cases (the DDP is called “Jane Doe Project”):

The forensic genealogy research was done with assistance from the Jane Doe Project, a California-based nonprofit that also is trying to identify a Victorian-era child whose remains were found in Sanford in 2017. The medical examiner's office also worked with the Jane Doe Project to successfully identify a man who died in Maine in 2014

Just saw that the DDP answered that “a complicated family tree dynamics” refers to “it is possible that there is an adoption or other event in his family line”
Other event, meaning a non parental event. An affair, a child resulting from a one night stand, etc.

I know Kelly (EDJD) who was IDed last year was held up for years, because despite a close cousin match, nobody in the family had any idea who she was. She wasn't known to them. Whoever had parented her from their line had done it secretly or, if it was the father, hadn't known a child had resulted. They gave her the name 'Memory' while they waited for her real name to be discovered, and seemed to feel her lack of known identity as deeply as investigators and sleuths did, despite not knowing she existed before being contacted.

Here's hoping Chattanooga Birchwood John Doe gets his name back this year, and if there are family out there waiting, they get their answers.

Other event, meaning a non parental event. An affair, a child resulting from a one night stand, etc.

I know Kelly (EDJD) who was IDed last year was held up for years, because despite a close cousin match, nobody in the family had any idea who she was. She wasn't known to them. Whoever had parented her from their line had done it secretly or, if it was the father, hadn't known a child had resulted. They gave her the name 'Memory' while they waited for her real name to be discovered, and seemed to feel her lack of known identity as deeply as investigators and sleuths did, despite not knowing she existed before being contacted.

Here's hoping Chattanooga Birchwood John Doe gets his name back this year, and if there are family out there waiting, they get their answers.
Thank you for your detailed explanation! I did not know this. It made me think there are at least two DDP’s Does who have have a similar complicated family tree dynamics - Apache Junction Jane Doe and Mowry Wetlands Jane Doe.

Thank you for your detailed explanation! I did not know this. It made me think there are at least two DDP’s Does who have have a similar complicated family tree dynamics - Apache Junction Jane Doe and Mowry Wetlands Jane Doe.
Family is complicated, whether it's because of people playing away, or because they really really don't. So, wherever you get an insular population as well, it's tricky. A lot of Jewish folks (Ashkenazi in particular), Amish and similar sects, FLDS (or even regular LDS who have been LDS for generations), some Appalachian areas... When EVERYONE from your particular group shares enough DNA to read as a second, third or fourth cousin, it's really, really challenging territory. Especially if your group is a bit standoffish from government and is hit and miss whether they register births. There are certain Does where the DNA quality is great, but the actual data is enough to cause any genetic geneologist a whole bunch of grey hairs.

Does anyone know what the holdup is on Granty County, KY John Doe? The silence is deafening.

Does anyone know what the holdup is on Granty County, KY John Doe? The silence is deafening.
The one from Williamstown in '89? The table on wikipedia says he's still undergoing geneological analysis. So, it's not stalled. Might just be slow going, waiting for closer matches to upload their DNA and opt in. Sometimes it takes a while.

Luce County John Doe (Michigan) seems to be a difficult case as well

According to the article about Luce County Doe, the DDP identified around 100 cases, so far there are 77 official announcements and 4 more cases where Namus was removed but announcement has not been made yet. So, around 20 more Does identified and pending announcements.

I am wondering if Dane County Chimney Doe is one of them, they have a very good highest match on the spreadsheet!

According to the article about Luce County Doe, the DDP identified around 100 cases, so far there are 77 official announcements and 4 more cases where Namus was removed but announcement has not been made yet. So, around 20 more Does identified and pending announcements.

I am wondering if Dane County Chimney Doe is one of them, they have a very good highest match on the spreadsheet!

Oh, I would love for it to be Chimney Doe's year for an identification. Their case is one of a small number of Trans Doe Task Force cases I follow.

Luce County John Doe (Michigan) seems to be a difficult case as well

The genealogy process of identifying Lake Michigan Jane: The team was able to narrow in on a family of interest within a day...

Her DNA was uploaded in August 2021 and her identity was announced last week So, even one of their quickest cases takes 18 months or so.

The genealogy process of identifying Lake Michigan Jane: The team was able to narrow in on a family of interest within a day...

Her DNA was uploaded in August 2021 and her identity was announced last week So, even one of their quickest cases takes 18 months or so.

I am also wondering if Nation River Lady (Ontario, Canada) was identified, her FamilyTree DNA match was over 400 cM, if she had been identified it could have happened as early as beginning of 2020…

Accorfing to a tiktok video of Dna Doe Project about the DDP’s Washington cases, Mercer County John Doe was of Latin American origin, the DDP team who is working on his case made a great progress and hopefully there will be an update soon :)

Happy to hear it, one of the Latin American Does probably identified.

Tiktok

*I don’t have a clue if this belongs here. It may not so…here goes anyway.

Now, Intermountain Forensics is taking on even bigger projects than before. They received a grant from the City of Tulsa last year to identify bodies of people that may have been killed during the 1921 Tulsa Race Massacre.

Between May 31 and June 1, 1921, a white lynch mob attacked the Black neighborhood of Greenwood in Tulsa, Oklahoma for two days, destroying what had been dubbed Black Wall Street and killing more than 300 people. The attack had been predicated on an alleged assault against a white woman by a Black man. After a series of escalations from white residents, fthey eventually converged into Greenwood, destroying “35 square blocks of Greenwood, burning down over 1,200 homes, over 60 businesses, a school, a hospital, a public library, and a dozen churches,” according to Human Rights Watch.

Many of the victims ended up in unmarked graves, unidentified. The city of Tulsa blamed the Black community for the massacre.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlternativeLuck
Back