ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 67

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, but what if the wounds don't match a kabar? Or if they have a piece of the knife and it doesn't match a kabar? As I understand it, the Kabar sheath is only made for a kabar knife? JMO

If LE has a piece of the knife, they have a very good idea of what type it is and if someone owns a 7" Ka-Bar sheath and a 7 " Bowie sheath, there's a very strong chance they own two very aggressive knives because the sheaths are very well made and intended to last as long as the knife.

So is it possible that LE already has the test results back on the items taken via the search warrant of BK’s apartment?

Has it been suggested that he deliberately left that sheath (not realizing he had left DNA on it) because it does NOT match the knife he used, so is a mislead?
Sure, but then we found out that he drove his own car to the scene, turned off his cell phone and did a million other bumbling dumb things.

So most attempts to interpret his actions through some the lens of a criminal mastermind have been abandoned.

I doubt the surviving roommate will be "brutally" cross examined. She apparently did not see the perp's face and therefore cannot identify him. Her only evidentiary value relates to the timeline. She apparently heard voices and brief conversation she could not identify. A defense lawyer would likely just emphasize the uncertainty in her testimony and leave it at that. She may be asked to define "bushy eyebrows". She may be asked if the person she saw had a knife. Bullying a pretty young traumatized woman will not play well in the eyes of the jury.

I doubt a plea deal would be likely for either side. If I were 28, I would probably take my chances with a trial, even if only a slight chance of success. BK may be a "big man" when he is heavily armed, but will not be that way in prison. Unless he has some opportunity for release, I seriously doubt he would take any plea deal.
I agree. I don’t think BK is going to plea. I’d be shocked quite frankly.

Douglas Garland killed 3 people in Calgary several years ago. The evidence against him was staggering, including photos of the dead bodies lying in the grass on his property. With all of that he pled NG went to trial, was found guilty and will never see the light of day again.

BK strikes me as a similar type.

MOO

IMO, maybe BK is covering up for somebody else. IDK
He can’t even cover for himself. For someone else? I don’t think he could pull it off. He seems to me a kid with a runny nose who is already crying for mommy or daddy to rescue him. I’m angry that this world has even one human being in it who thinks taking the life of someone else is ok. I could rant on but I will stop.

Douglas Garland killed 3 people in Calgary several years ago. The evidence against him was staggering, including photos of the dead bodies lying in the grass on his property. With all of that he pled NG went to trial, was found guilty and will never see the light of day again.

MOO
I would be very surprised as well. Although I'm taking everything his PA court appointed attorney (LaBar) said with a grain of salt, he apparently told NewsNation that BK "tried to explain 'his side of the story'" several times before he (Labar) cut him off. Again, it seems like he is eager to remain in the press for whatever reason, but I thought this was interesting. I'm sure BK will continue to want to share "his side of the story," whatever that may be.

It is, assuming there was something of evidential value he put in his neighbours trash, he had been forensically aware on one hand… but the other, he put it in his NEIGHBOURS trash. I mean, does he really think that wouldn’t be traced back to him? Has he not considered LE would clock on that it was likely him? Considering he goes to uni 10 miles from the crime scene! I know he’s intelligent but Jesus, where’s his common sense?
No one is accusing him of having common sense.

Sincere question as I have no knowledge regarding search warrant receipts: If swabs of plumbing were, indeed, taken -- would those swabs have to be listed as items taken?
My best guess is that they swabbed drains and sinks at the the time and tested on site and found nothing of value (six weeks post crime and all). That explains why swabs are not on the Service Return Doc. I don't think they woudn't have swabbed drains, they had to be sure, but the chances were low. MOO I welcome anyone with expert knowledge to comment!

"Dickies Tag" on Return of Service doc???
On seeing "Dickies tag" on return of service doc, I thought or imagined LE seized a Dickies HANGTAG (like dangling from a string) from a garment, not a SEWN-ON fabric label which had been off garment.

Someone posted (within the last several hours, sorry, no link) photo of a male wearing a black balaclava w. a "Dickies" tag, on Adam's apple area.

A Dickies HANGTAG would suggest, imo, a relatively recent purchase.
A Dickies SEWN-ON label being cut off suggests, what, IDK?
imo jmo
May be of little or no consequence.

This case is a good example of why eyewitnesses are not the best evidence for either side. The testimony of the roommate witness will show BK fits her description But she is going to be brutally cross-examined.
I would hope the defense goes easy on her. I understand the idea of giving your client your best, but he merrily took four innocent lives to show us all that he could. Dylan should not even be crossed by defense. Of course, I think there’s a way a smart defense counsel could cross her to make BK look even worse.

If I'm the defense attorney, she's first on my list.

Personally, I think that would be a terrible case of malpractice. What would the attorney be hoping to prove by her?

If she wasn’t called by the prosecution, then what’s to be gained by having her say that she saw someone who might have been your client?

It was discussed in the last few threads that her account is essentially hearsay if she does not testify (I just learned this myself) so prosecution will want her to speak. Certainly the defense would call her to try to poke holes in her story :(

Why on earth would they call her?

If the prosecution calls her, they can cross-examine her, which gives them much more power to poke holes in her story.

If the pricecution doesn’t call her, then there isn’t any story on the record that you need to weaken!

MOO

I was thinking in his mind - it could just be something to send LE on the wrong path, looking for the wrong weapon, and maybe he stole that sheath -- I think he seems like someone who thought he was doing many clever things but in reality did many stupid things, so thinking from his POV - a la, if the glove don't fit. I don't know. But there is so much strong evidence, an abundance of circumstantial evidence and a profile history that matches up and sets the stage for this grotesque violence committed by a person with admitted derealization and lack of feeling (empathy) - I cannot understand how anyone would think he is innocent but it is interesting to me that one person on here does. Is it because he doesn't "look" like our idea of a depraved criminal?

It wouldn't be easy to steal a sheath. Retailers in my area keep them in locked display cases and it's not something most people own or would have leave laying around for somebody to steal.

I know a lot of people and live outdoor lifestyles and of those who have large knives, they wear them until they are done their day and when their day is finished, they store them in a specific location (much like a firearm) so it's ready to wear the next day.

I am the only of a large circle of people that has a Ka-Bar and have mentioned a couple times that I leave mine in the truck because I find it too large for me to wear but someone would be hard pressed to find it and steal my sheath and there's a good chance that one of my dogs would have a good sized chunk of dna long before anybody would have time to break into a truck, find where the knife is hidden and steal the sheath only.

Realistically, I believe it was said early on that LE was looking for a large fixed blade Ka-Bar knife so I don't think they'd walk away if they found a different brand but I also don't think BK is anywhere near an expert on large knives and I strongly suspect he's unlikely to know the subtle differences between brands.

I don't put a lot of stock into the whole thing about using his neighbors trash can. If LE was looking for something it would be a grid search as the trash was already gone, and the neighbors trash would be in the same grid. In my opinion if it was something nefarious he would have put it in the trash at say McDonalds or something across town. Also I could see maybe seeing something down the path , picking it up and just putting it in the nearest trash can.
Also I think it (again my opinion) it is so hard to classify wearing latex or surgical gloves as suspicious anymore I saw so many people start to wear them with the pandemic, just a couple of things that i have been thinking....

I was surprised at the amount of people who said they do this all the time. I’ve never put my trash in a neighbor’s bin, and it initially struck me as suspicious that he did so.
It depends on how you are with your neighbors. In my case, we share some landscaping tasks that fill one or the other of our bins so we don’t mind sharing. It’s just garbage.

I don't see any shoes on the return of services warrant. Are we sure the NY Post got this right?

STATE OF WASHINGTON
COUNTY OF WHITMAN
ISSUED BY:
SUPERIOR COURT , WHITMAN COUNTY, WASHINGTON
SW NO. 12-29-2022A( amended)
Returnof Service of Search Warrant
( Residenceand Storage Closet)
DATE ISSUED :
DATE SERVED :
SERVED BY:
HOW SERVED:
ITEMS SEIZED:
12-29-2022
12-30-2022
Return of Service of Search Warrant
per
order
SUPERIOR COURT JUDGE GARY J. LIBEY
ASST . CHIEF DAWN DANIELS , 302
IN PERSON
FILED
JAN 03 2023
JILL
COUNTY CLERK
1. One nitritetype black glove
2. 1 Walmart receipt with one Dickiestag
2 Marshallsreceipts
Dust container from Bissell Power Force" vacuum
5. 8 possiblehair strands
6. Fire TV stick with cord/ plug
7. 1 possible animal hair strand
8. 1 possiblehair
9. 1 possible hair
10.1 possiblehair
11. 1 possible hair strand
All seized from Residence and currently stored at WSU PD
12. 1 computer tower
A. 1 collection of dark red spot ( collected without testing)
B. 2 cuttings from uncased pillow of reddish/ brown stain ( larger stain tested)
C. 2 top and bottom of mattress cover packaged separately both labeled
multiplestains ( one t
But they did not seize any articles of clothing. That Dickies receipt is interesting, although how stupid would he have to be to save a receipt for murder coveralls? Hopefully the UPC code is indicated on the receipt showing what the Dickies item was. If coveralls, and if not present in the apartment, that would be interesting.

I recall a case (Jason Young) where articles of clothing (and possibly shoes) which were not found were part of the evidence used to convict a killer.

MOO

There is no death penalty in Canada so that could affect BK's decision.

I don't put a lot of stock into the whole thing about using his neighbors trash can. If LE was looking for something it would be a grid search as the trash was already gone, and the neighbors trash would be in the same grid. In my opinion if it was something nefarious he would have put it in the trash at say McDonalds or something across town. Also I could see maybe seeing something down the path , picking it up and just putting it in the nearest trash can.
Also I think it (again my opinion) it is so hard to classify wearing latex or surgical gloves as suspicious anymore I saw so many people start to wear them with the pandemic, just a couple of things that i have been thinking....
The trash story has never actually been verified either, correct? Just a "sources say" type of article? JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member