ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 67

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see any of that on here. I more often see derogatory comments towards BK calling him names. He is well educated, and has obtained degrees the VAST majority of Americans never do. If he is guilty of these crimes, he certainly made mistakes while committing them. Beyond that, there is no need to insult his intelligence, IMO.
I'm saying I'm not convinced he did it based on the fact there are many theories being spun out of the few actual facts that have been revealed.
I haven't gotten enough facts to determine if the man is guilty of 4 murders.

Oh, they will 100% argue that. However, if the hair strands that were collected from BCK's apartment were any of the victims, that they will not be able to argue.
Is there an estimated time when the public will know the results of these tests?

Exactly I don't see how whether or when she called the police has any bearing on whether or not BK committed these crimes, which is the focus of trial. MOO
To me, the defense would have to be wanting to get DM to say that she hallucinated or lied about seeing anyone, therefore that was why she didn't check or call the police. But we know someone killed them. Why go to the trouble of trying to make her look like a liar? And again, would the judge permit that kind of traumatic examination? Again, to what purpose? It would make more sense for the defense to just have a go at discrediting her basic description of who she saw and be done. And for that reason, I understand why the prosecution would be better off not calling her.

There is no evidence that they didn’t check the plumbing, just that none was taken with them.

To do the kind of check I want (of DNA in the traps, etc) it would need to be taken out and taken to a lab.

Since there's no mention of that, I do not believe they could possibly have adequately checked the plumbing.

HOWEVER, I've realized (see above post) that they likely needed a specific warrant to basically remove and destroy plumbing from the property owner's apartment. I will be very surprised if they have not, by now, obtained a sealed warrant and gone back for that evidence.

Because they didn't need to hurry and it definitely is more intrusive into the rights of the property owner.

I took it to mean it was listed as item C on the list of items taken.
C. 2 top and bottom of mattress cover packaged separately both labeled "C" multiple stains (one tested)

And I find it odd that people think somehow a mattress cover can be taken as evidence, but sheets could have been present and not taken (or towels).

The first item listed on page 7 of the search warrant is

"Blood, or other bodily fluid or human tissue or skin cells, or items with blood or other bodily fluid or human tissue or skin cells on the items."

The way I understand it, they can collect these items from anywhere they find them - plumbing, pillows, whatever. MOO
Thank you! There's the link I needed, but you did all the work alreaady.

Obviously if the warrant was for skin cells, they could take towels, etc. "Skin cells" could be on absolutely anything - so absolutely anything *could* have been taken. Thing is, some of that cannot be seen on site, and would need testing.

I think they will likely go back into his apartment again but I also think that had there been towels hanging in the bathroom, they would have taken them. Or sheets on the bed. They would not just take the part that's *under* the sheets.

You guys and your trash talk!

"The residence “contained a significant amount of blood from the victims including spatter and castoff (blood stain pattern resulting from blood drops released from an object due to its motion),” according to a probable cause document seeking a search warrant for the suspect’s home and office."

It seems to me LE would know the order of death by the blood admixture in the blood spatter and castoff. But only if he killed each seperately and didn't stab going back and forth between victims. Sorry, graphic.

BBM It makes me sick to think of that. I know there was a lot of discussion early on that, somehow, the strike points were chosen to incapacitate quickly and because the victims would bleed out internally, rather than having a very bloody scene. It seems like what was done to those poor young people wasn't what was envisioned at that point. As ghastly as it is to think about, I guess when you stab someone in the torso with a 7 inch blade, you probably have an excellent chance of impacting the liver and lungs whether you were "aiming" for them or not.

Or it could be that you guys want to give this guy a lot more credit than he deserves.....?

I know a few people with PhDs that can barely get themselves around a city without getting flustered. Or can't organize an event. Or are really good at talking about what they studied but struggle when applying the work.

A lot of the 'Maybe Bryan didn't do it!' it folk (not saying you) base their entire theories on the redemption genius stories they love seeing in movies. They just don't like the ending of this one.
I agree that there are a lot of PhD students (and PhD holders) who are not very high functioning in social settings, or are just in generally immature / stunted from being in school their entire lives. I had so many peers and colleagues in graduate school and beyond that had never had a job outside of academia. Academics also have a high rate of alcoholism and other kinds of addiction. I know BK was ostensibly sober from heroin, but I'm just saying that to paint a different kind of picture of what grad school can look or feel like for many students. I am an academic so I don't say this to be rude or contrary, but it can be a really hard life in a lot of weird (and privileged) ways. As a career, it also has a way of sheltering some individuals who could really use more "real world" experience. All IMO.

Another very important element, where BK is concerned, is that he was a FIRST SEMESTER PhD student. He had yet to prove in any legitimate way that academic life was right for him and there are some sources that suggest he was actually struggling quite a bit adjusting to coursework, teaching, and socializing with his peers. IMO, I actually believe that his early "failure to thrive" might have really contributed to committing the murders so soon after he moved to WA and began his program.

In all fairness, I feel like most of us on WS are being pretty critical when it comes to BK's status as a PhD student -- I'm not seeing an overwhelming "how did a genius like BK do it?" narrative, at least here on WS.

I think the fact that they didn't feel the need to check the plumbing and take every sheet in the house shows that they have a lot of confidence in what they did find.

The FBI likely pioneered the technique and they sure had someone helping write the warrant, coordinating he search and likely on site with that team. Working across states is a lot easier for them to do.

you guys, we all learned by covid that we can still identify a person with a mask on. if she pulled him out of a masked photoshopped line up that would be so cool..I do wonder ...maybe she identified him without the mask..? or did they even ask her to try to identify the man she saw in the hallway...did he see her? make eye contact? if so she may have been in extreme fear or thought she was dreaming and tried to sleep. I can see being terrified and hiding not moving for fear. mOO

The hair strands collected could be extremely interesting.
I hope they will test those, not just against the Moscow victims DNA, but also against any unsolved murders in his area.
The idea that this guy went from zero to the slaughter of four people always seemed weird, and (if BK is the killer) there may have been others before, traces of which could still be at his apartment.

Sorry, you can never put emotional reactions aside- on juries as well. How many times do we hear jurors say he or she looked cold, or he or she didn't seem to have an appropriate reaction to something. Jurors have human reactions to defendants and to witnesses as well. When I was doing paralegal work for medical malpractice, we would help pick juries -- very unpredictable. Cases we should have won, we lost, cases we should have lost we won. Once in while we got the correct result. When you talk to jurors you find out all kinds of things of what they were thinking, lots of it, based on their own experiences in the past and emotions. You cannot change that. Sometimes for some reason a juror just doesn't like the plaintiff or the defendant or some of the witnesses. No rhyme or reason for it. it just is.

And this is a big reason we *have* juries. No matter what science says, science *cannot* and never will explain everything, There are ineffable vibes (for want of a better word). Micro-expressions.

When they put the autopsy photos up, the jury will glance at them, then stare at him. This is what is supposed to happen and why we have live trials and not artificial intelligence engaged in Justice.

Jurors are supposed to think and feel. They represent all of us, as humans. The law is ultimately shaped into Justice by these human processes.

Love your post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member