ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 69

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a standard labeling system. You always plan for the 'what if'. If you later find there is a 'suspect vehicle 2' now everything you have written before that point will be a confusing mess.
Thank you so much! I had a feeling there was a simple legal explanation and what you said makes perfect sense. Very wise of LE to do with the stakes so high.

Does anyone have any theories as to why no screams were heard? TIA! I know it'll be opinion only, but I'm curious what others' thoughts are on the topic.

He made so many mistakes that I now can't imagine that he's very experienced. I'm actually surprised that he was able to commit the murders and escape the house that night. AMOO
If someone is stabbed in the lungs or throat, they will not be able to scream

Bringing a post over from the last thread as I wanted to provide a different point of view on how the Mad Greek owner is handling things. Specifically:

The owner is upset at the attention and necessary response to LE queries, but the source got no fame and obviously spoke out with trepidation. Why would there have even been that discussion around silence to begin with is concerning to me. She could have come out early on and said we know nothing, he was not a customer, thank you very much, as incredulous as that sounds given the circumstances. Or, we are reviewing our transactions, etc etc. and will get back through our spokesperson.
I don’t get the resentment. Unless she has something to hide in order to avoid inquiries or has been led to believe that by divulging something she would create a problem that I can’t imagine. But now, the only obvious issue to me is that she has thrown a former employee under the bus and taken refuge behind local LE.
Stress? Local politics?

I was having a convo I've had often with someone over a local restaurant we dearly love that I feel could be what's going on with TMG. My local restaurant... GREAT food! GREAT atmosphere! GREAT people work there. The bad? Administratively they suck. While they handle the whole meal process down from procuring, preparing, and tableside service... everything else about them serious lacks. If it's not part of the food process they are terrible at it. Their messaging on their website is AWFUL. One example... dinner is "at dinnertime", yet no time stated. Another restaurant in town starts at 4pm, and another at 5pm. I think this one is 5:30, yet it simply says "dinnertime".

Without boring with all the details at what they suck at (there's more! LOL) I can't even imagine how these lovely small town people would handle the deaths of 2 of their own, and the murderer potentially (or not) eating at their establishment. One of the chefs got his start at a very well known Michelin star rated restaurant in a large city so it's not like they are all "small town" people. He's worldly. He is just terrible at anything that doesn't have to do with the actual meal. lol Someone told me just yesterday... You should tell them that you'll take care of their website details for them for a free meal. lol

So, while the MG restaurant owners may be darn good at preparing really good food, they, like my local restaurant, just might "really suck at basic details outside of preparing your meal". And a double murder case that has ties to your restaurant? I can only imagine that that's WAY over their heads on how to handle it. Not like there's a class on that or even past experiences to use. There is no playbook for those that are thrust into the headlines over something like this.

All MOO. :)

Good afternoon all and apologies if someone already mentioned this: plea bargains often require the accused to waive their right to appeal. That would eliminate costly and time consuming appeal hearings for the state, allowing them to put this case behind them permanently and focus on other cases.

Here is a better view of the red blotch.

View attachment 396979
Here
Sure takes a LOT of people to swab a blotch (6 of them). You'd think there'd be plenty to do other than bunched up watching someone swabbing. Unless that was a field trip class for Swabbing 101. lol :p

so, paraphrasing - even though the paywalled is removed by NYT- public records request by NYT reveals that BK was one of 4 candidates for the job (research assistantship for public safety.) Pullman refuse to answer whether he got the job.

applied some time in the spring of 2022 or earlier?
zoom meeting with the chief in late April - screenshot of Chief's letter
this is before he'd started his main research for his MA dissertation at DeSales University

so did he apply for this before he'd secured the student TA role at WSU? Anybody know?

NYT author & screenshots:

from screenshot ' Complex Social Interactions Lab' at WSU - analysing Pullman's data - not MPD's

Previous reporting from Fox, 13 Jan 2022

'More than five police departments share bodycam video with the CSI Lab database, according to the university' ( doesn't include MPD) 'It's unclear whether Kohberger had attempted this process, but the university vehemently denied he was allowed in the CSI Lab.Phil Weiler, WSU’s vice president of marketing and communications, told Fox News Digital Friday evening that Kohberger never obtained entry to the programs."To be clear, Bryan Kohberger never had access to any footage from the Complex Social Interaction Lab at Washington State University," he said. "Access to that facility is strictly controlled. All research assistants must complete a background check, an FBI Criminal Justice Information Services Level 2 certification, be fingerprinted by the FBI and sign a confidentiality agreement in order to enter the facility."

Fox's source contradicts Weiler '..."multiple individuals who have not gone through the vetting or training to enter the facility'

ETA
PCA details, page 12 of the affidavit. Fall 2022? Screenshot 2023-01-22 at 21.24.08.png

Last edited:
Bringing a post over from the last thread as I wanted to provide a different point of view on how the Mad Greek owner is handling things. Specifically:

The owner is upset at the attention and necessary response to LE queries, but the source got no fame and obviously spoke out with trepidation. Why would there have even been that discussion around silence to begin with is concerning to me. She could have come out early on and said we know nothing, he was not a customer, thank you very much, as incredulous as that sounds given the circumstances. Or, we are reviewing our transactions, etc etc. and will get back through our spokesperson.
I don’t get the resentment. Unless she has something to hide in order to avoid inquiries or has been led to believe that by divulging something she would create a problem that I can’t imagine. But now, the only obvious issue to me is that she has thrown a former employee under the bus and taken refuge behind local LE.
Stress? Local politics?

I was having a convo I've had often with someone over a local restaurant we dearly love that I feel could be what's going on with TMG. My local restaurant... GREAT food! GREAT atmosphere! GREAT people work there. The bad? Administratively they suck. While they handle the whole meal process down from procuring, preparing, and tableside service... everything else about them serious lacks. If it's not part of the food process they are terrible at it. Their messaging on their website is AWFUL. One example... dinner is "at dinnertime", yet no time stated. Another restaurant in town starts at 4pm, and another at 5pm. I think this one is 5:30, yet it simply says "dinnertime".

Without boring with all the details at what they suck at (there's more! LOL) I can't even imagine how these lovely small town people would handle the deaths of 2 of their own, and the murderer potentially (or not) eating at their establishment. One of the chefs got his start at a very well known Michelin star rated restaurant in a large city so it's not like they are all "small town" people. He's worldly. He is just terrible at anything that doesn't have to do with the actual meal. lol Someone told me just yesterday... You should tell them that you'll take care of their website details for them for a free meal. lol

So, while the MG restaurant owners may be darn good at preparing really good food, they, like my local restaurant, just might "really suck at basic details outside of preparing your meal". And a double murder case that has ties to your restaurant? I can only imagine that that's WAY over their heads on how to handle it. Not like there's a class on that or even past experiences to use. There is no playbook for those that are thrust into the headlines over something like this.

All MOO. :)

I don't fault the MG owner one bit for coming out to set the record straight and being angry at this former employee for starting such a rumor. If it turns out the owner is lying, that will come out eventually. I doubt the owner would take that kind of risk as intentionally lying about it will likely affect the restaurant.

I'm always hesitant to trust anonymous sources and in this case, where this former employee comes out only as a former employee, I'm even more hesitant. There was nothing of substance shared, so what exactly was the motive? And why do it anonymously? The MG owner likely knows who the former employee is, so it isn't like being anonymous would insure the MG owner wouldn't give them a bad reference or something. To me, this reeks of a rumor and nothing more and when it comes to rumors, named sources with much to lose for lying >>>>>>> anonymous sources who will likely never see the repercussions of any dishonesty or speculation.

MOO.

I don't fault the MG owner one bit for coming out to set the record straight and being angry at this former employee for starting such a rumor. If it turns out the owner is lying, that will come out eventually. I doubt the owner would take that kind of risk as intentionally lying about it will likely affect the restaurant.

I'm always hesitant to trust anonymous sources and in this case, where this former employee comes out only as a former employee, I'm even more hesitant. There was nothing of substance shared, so what exactly was the motive? And why do it anonymously? The MG owner likely knows who the former employee is, so it isn't like being anonymous would insure the MG owner wouldn't give them a bad reference or something. To me, this reeks of a rumor and nothing more and when it comes to rumors, named sources with much to lose for lying >>>>>>> anonymous sources who will likely never see the repercussions of any dishonesty or speculation.

MOO.
Another investigative reporter said he didn't report the ex-employee's story because he couldn't confirm it.
https://twitter.com/BrianEntin
@BrianEntin

Replying to
XXXXXXX
Thank you for following. I never reported or tweeted about the Mad Greek story because I could not verify it myself. I rarely tweet other outlets reporting unless it is a reporter I know and trust. I think we will have to wait and see how the People story plays out.

8:37 AM · Jan 21, 2023·

Does anyone have any theories as to why no screams were heard? TIA! I know it'll be opinion only, but I'm curious what others' thoughts are on the topic.

He made so many mistakes that I now can't imagine that he's very experienced. I'm actually surprised that he was able to commit the murders and escape the house that night. AMOO
Blitz attack at the most vulnerable time of night, with sharp force object. No time to scream IMO.

Another investigative reporter said he didn't report the ex-employee's story because he couldn't confirm it.
https://twitter.com/BrianEntin
@BrianEntin

Replying to
XXXXXXX
Thank you for following. I never reported or tweeted about the Mad Greek story because I could not verify it myself. I rarely tweet other outlets reporting unless it is a reporter I know and trust. I think we will have to wait and see how the People story plays out.

8:37 AM · Jan 21, 2023·
Honestly, I think the story could have came from almost anywhere. We've even had discussions on WS about what/how he could have ate there. Including, would he ask about separate cooking utensils. I'm guessing other forums have probably had the same discussions. JMO

In the early reports a nearby neighbor said she would walk her dog past the house, could be her dog.
I think of the possible animal hair strand taken by warrant from bk's UW apt, it seems possible the dog heard some sound of distress from its owner, and began barking. BK may have approached it with a few pats to silence him. His blood sticky hand would easily carry off some dog hair.
Pity we don't know how many there are and where! Could be one, could be more, could be five, could be less....

applied some time in the spring of 2022 or earlier?
zoom meeting with the chief in late April - screenshot of Chief's letter
this is before he'd started his main research for his MA dissertation at DeSales University

so did he apply for this before he'd secured the student TA role at WSU? Anybody know?
He almost certainly already knew he'd been accepted to the program and had a TA position by spring when he applied for this. When I applied to grad school, my submissions were the summer/fall of the year before I was planning on going, and I already knew where I was headed and with an assistantship by early January of the year I was going. My experience is very standard. MOO

Because of that timeline, I don't believe for a minute his spring survey was for thesis research. To graduate when he did, he should have been completely done with research and in the late stages of writing/revising if not completely done and pending his defense. MOO

“It is unclear from the newly released records whether Mr. Kohberger was hired for the job, and the city of Pullman has declined to answer questions about whether he got the position. The job was set to begin on Aug. 22. The murders occurred on Nov. 13.”

This is one of many unanswered questions that’s contributing to things continuing to feel so unsettled here in spite of an arrest.

For background, the WSU Police Department has been in chaos for some time, which is why retired Pullman PD Chief Jenkins was hired by WSU PD:

Former police sergeant resigns due to misconduct
November 7, 2022

“The three previous retirements came after the three individuals were served notice of potential disciplinary actions based on their failure to properly advise university leadership of Kuhrt’s conduct in 2020.

The next steps for the department are to work to regain trust in the community, Jenkins said.
BBM

In the rental pictures of the house there isn't a cabinet or counter under the window to the right.
True. But I recall seeing a table through the window to the right of the sliding doors. I will try to find the image.

Just to clarify a few facts:

Moscow, ID and Pullman, WA are cities.

MSM articles and other sources seem to often refer to them as "small towns", but they are each on their own 5 to 6 times the size/population of a small town, and are in fact considered in the US Census (see links below) between a "mid-sized" city and a "big city". The relevance in this case, IMO, is that even in small towns, there are thousands of people living and working there that may not notice one individual and what they do, e.g., where they walk, jog, shop, eat, go to the movies, etc.
  • The Census defines small towns as incorporated areas with 5,000 residents or fewer, and big cities as having populations of 50,000 or more. Midsize cities, which the Census defines as between 5,000-10,000 people, also grew from 2010-2019 in every region except the Northeast. What population counts as a small town?
Latest City and Town Population Estimates of the Decade Show Three-Fourths of the Nation's Incorporated Places Have Fewer Than 5,000 People

Moscow (/ˈmɒskoʊ/ MOS-koh) is a city in North Central Idaho, United States. Located along the state border with Washington, it had a population of 25,435 at the 2020 census. The county seat and largest city of Latah County,[4] Moscow is the home of the University of Idaho, the state's land-grant institution and primary research university.

It is the principal city in the Moscow, Idaho Micropolitan Statistical Area, which includes all of Latah County. The city contains over 60% of the county's population, and while the university is Moscow's dominant employer, the city also serves as an agricultural and commercial hub for the Palouse region.

Moscow, Idaho - Wikipedia

Pullman (/ˈpʊlmən/) is the largest city in Whitman County, located in southeastern Washington within the Palouse region of the Pacific Northwest. The population was 29,799 at the 2010 census, and estimated to be 34,506 in 2019.[6] Originally founded as Three Forks, the city was renamed after industrialist George Pullman in 1884.[7]

Pullman is noted as a fertile agricultural area known for its many miles of rolling hills and the production of wheat and legumes. It is home to Washington State University, a public research land-grant university, and the international headquarters of Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories. Pullman is eight miles (13 km) from Moscow, Idaho, home to the University of Idaho, and is served by the Pullman–Moscow Regional Airport.

Pullman, Washington - Wikipedia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member