ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 69

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's described in the link doesn't sound that neutral.

It also seems weird to me to drag a criminology TA rather than a law student into that and expect them to debate it like a lawyer. It would be great prep for a law student, for sure. But BK was not a law student. Maybe he arranged that with BK and BK was totally fine with it, but what is being described in that article doesn't seem like a neutral, no-feelings-hurt exercise in debate to me. It reads more like a rather pointed message at an overbearing TA, one that was intended to put him in his place and make a rather lasting impression when it comes to grades. MOO
What matters here is how unprofessional and unnecessary it is to expose someone charged with grading papers to the complaints of 150 grad students. It was up to the professor to help any TA he/she/they supervise to grade papers according to the professor's standards. I'm not defending BK as a grader or a TA. I'm saying that the full-time professor has a responsibility to help and mentor a first-year Ph.D. student in terms of teaching or grading. I've supervised TAs. They are often lost during the first semester, whether they are teaching classes on their own or assisting someone with a large class. I've done both. None of it is easy at first.

What matters here is how unprofessional and unnecessary it is to expose someone charged with grading papers to the complaints of 150 grad students. It was up to the professor to help any TA he/she/they supervise to grade papers according to the professor's standards. I'm not defending BK as a grader or a TA. I'm saying that the full-time professor has a responsibility to help and mentor a first-year Ph.D. student in terms of teaching or grading. I've supervised TAs. They are often lost during the first semester, whether they are teaching classes on their own or assisting someone with a large class. I've done both. None of it is easy at first.
I agree. As I mentioned earlier, I was a TA in grad school, and the professor and I were very much a united front in public. Regardless of whatever this professor was thinking--and I actually don't doubt that BK was going overboard with the grading--this was a great way to erode his relationship with a PhD student in the program and to undermine that TA in front of students who would likely be having him as a TA or even an instructor in future classes. He absolutely should have been confronted about it, but not in this manner. That's why I feel like the endgame was not to help him improve as a TA--it was to knock him down several pegs. MOO

I mainly find it significant in that I suspect BK was not having a great first semester in the program, and it wouldn't surprise me if this didn't help matters at all. MOO

If you listen to what this student has to say:

he says it was a course that was pre-law, and the prof thought it would be an exercise to have some arguments and defenses- sort of a court like set up, so possibly more defensible (though I personally think BK might have found it to be awful)
I hadn't seen that particular source on the matter -- thank you for sharing!

Bryan Kohberger likely had deep seated resentment issues that go back to his childhood. He probably had fear of failure. Not sure about his academics. He had trouble fitting in despite being high sociable and talkative in nature. Some were likely turned off by his talkative nature. Many things tipped him over. He is most likely an injustice collector. He could be like Jodi Arias or Lori Drew as they are highly sociable. He can also be like Adam Lanza or Elliot Rodger, as they can be seen as odd. I have not read if Kohberger is a constant complainer. I would not be surprised if he is one, like seen in Drew, Lanza, or Rodger. All of them were highly prone to anger.

I have this nasty feeling that grading was a "power trip" to him.
I pity these students.

JMO
Maybe, but there's been a lot of grade inflation in schools. Many students think that they're entitled to a score of 100% just for completing an assignment. Rubrics are partially to blame because many of them have a list of deliverables without the quality of the work entering into the discussion; it's often possible for students to technically meet all of the criteria on a rubric with work that absolutely sucks. The students aren't necessarily objective judges of whether they were being graded too harshly

Everything above is IMHO.

<modsnip>

I think that this article is fine because it doesn’t name the parent or the charges and is an approved source. And it says she represented two parents!!! Not sure if they’re the parents of the same victim or two different victims but this is just wild to me:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's taking the totality of the situation into account. The driving around over a period of months and phone pings, etc. becomes important once we have the DNA at the scene. I mean, if I drove around that neighborhood over and over although I lived in another town, I might be giving someone a ride to work or something. But BK has no REASON to be there.

To be where? We don't know where he was. All we know is that his phone pinged a cell tower that provides coverage to the home. Nowhere does it say he was at the house.

I know you say it's the totality of the situation, but the totality needs to be picked apart because, IMO, it's pieced together by a bunch of things that are being somewhat exaggerated without facts. Again MOO.

And once we have his DNA inside the crime scene, on a knife sheath, after a knife crime, then his travel around that neighborhood before that night, during the night, and the next day becomes evidence that he watching the house, stalking, etc.

I respectfully disagree. Until we know more about the neighborhood and where his car was, I just don't think his travel prior to that night is evidence of him watching the house. He lived 8 miles away. How do we know why he was in that area 12 times based on the information we have available? MOO.

MAY require consent? <modsnip> I think the attorney needs to be removed from this case, IMO
Why would she need to be removed? Wouldn't the judge want to appoint the most experienced attorney most qualified for a quadruple murder case? The attorney wouldn't have been able to represent both defendants so the judge would have no choice but to remove her from one case and assign her to the other. Imo

MAY require consent? <modsnip> I think the attorney needs to be removed from this case, IMO
I hit a paywall on the first article, but from what I saw it said the attorney withdrew Jan 5.

The other article posted above says:
“Aside from Taylor, a dozen public defenders in Idaho are qualified to lead a capital case. But each of them resides well outside North Idaho.

Another 10 public defenders are qualified to act as co-counsel on a capital case, including two in North Idaho. One is Taylor’s chief deputy of litigation, Jay Logsdon, who is her co-counsel in the Kohberger case. The other is attorney Susie Jensen, the former Bonner County chief public defender. Gov. Brad Little appointed Jensen as a judge in Idaho’s 1st District in November.”

<modsnip>

I think that this article is fine because it doesn’t name the parent or the charges and is an approved source. And it says she represented two parents!!! Not sure if they’re the parents of the same victim or two different victims but this is just wild to me:

From the article, it appears Christopher D. Schwartz is the new attorney?

Why would she need to be removed? Wouldn't the judge want to appoint the most experienced attorney most qualified for a quadruple murder case? The attorney wouldn't have been able to represent both defendants so the judge would have no choice but to remove her from one case and assign her to the other. Imo
Similar to having the same surgeon as your ex-husband's new lover. You want whoever's best for the job. I trust Latah County's judgement.

To be where? We don't know where he was. All we know is that his phone pinged a cell tower that provides coverage to the home. Nowhere does it say he was at the house.

I know you say it's the totality of the situation, but the totality needs to be picked apart because, IMO, it's pieced together by a bunch of things that are being somewhat exaggerated without facts. Again MOO.

I respectfully disagree. Until we know more about the neighborhood and where his car was, I just don't think his travel prior to that night is evidence of him watching the house. He lived 8 miles away. How do we know why he was in that area 12 times based on the information we have available? MOO.
The probable cause affidavit makes a compelling case for BK being in the area, including the car being seen on the street and turning around.

The probable cause affidavit makes a compelling case for BK being in the area, including the car being seen on the street and turning around.

Right, on the night of the murder. But prior to the murder, I believe it was just that passage I quoted above about it pinging off the cell tower that provides coverage in the area of 1122 King Road. MOO.

Just to clarify, I'm not saying he's not guilty. I'm saying that I don't know if he's guilty or not, but right now, I think the only thing we know for sure is that his DNA was found on the sheath. For me, personally, nothing else I've seen or read definitively points to him. I think there are a lot of things up in the air because LE has been vague (which I understand), so I'm just going to wait it out until more facts are revealed. I don't think we can jump to conclusions about any of the other stuff we know thus far. JMO.

If there is something in MSM about a friend or family member or whoever .. it is fine to discuss what is said in MSM about them or what they say in MSM. That is simply discussion and members are allowed to offer their speculative opinion about that content. By contrast, sleuthing is going beyond what in said in MSM and digging up other information about that person (i.e. addresses, where they work, what they do, driver's licence, background information, etc) when they are not a POI or suspect. THAT is what is not allowed under TOS.

Any questions, please use the Report feature to jump off any post and ask away.

Thanks.
Snipped for focus regarding today's news. I had questions about what I could discuss. Thought this might help others. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member