MA - Lindsay Clancy, Strangled 3 Children in Murder/Suicide Attempt, Duxbury, Jan 2023

This is so tragic. For those of you following Ana Walshe -Lindsay lived in Duxbury which is like 20 minutes south of Cohasset. They are like twin towns on Bostons south shore. The news stations are blowing up here - I am hearing a lot of background from people I know in the area and everything new just makes my heart hurt more. I have experienced post partum depression and severe anxiety and while I never wanted to hurt my children it’s an utterly horrific feeling and one that is so stigmatized and shamed.

Local radio presenter John DePetro reported that friends of the depressed mother said: 'Her husband was working from home instead of going in to work to be able to try and support her daily while she went to a program 5 days a week for PPD.

'And in the 25 minutes it took him to pick up take out, the unthinkable happened.'

Investigators are now looking into the possibility that Lindsay, 32, was suffering from postpartum psychosis. The mother-of-three had also previously shared online that she was struggling with postpartum anxiety

so hard to try to find anything to say. So heartbreaking. I realize the mother was suffering but she killed her children.

I wish the same compassion for those who are mentally ill and commit horrible crimes like these. Or less compassion for both. Just seems like a double standard.

The Duxbury mother of two children will be charged with murder in the deaths of her two children, the DA says. Lindsay Clancy is a nurse at MGH. The DA says it appears she strangled her children - killing her 5-year-old daughter and 3-year-old son. https://on.wcvb.com/3Hut4f3

Attachments

• 1674766793428.png
    1674766793428.png
    705.4 KB · Views: 13

Local radio presenter John DePetro reported that friends of the depressed mother said: 'Her husband was working from home instead of going in to work to be able to try and support her daily while she went to a program 5 days a week for PPD.

'And in the 25 minutes it took him to pick up take out, the unthinkable happened.'

Investigators are now looking into the possibility that Lindsay, 32, was suffering from postpartum psychosis. The mother-of-three had also previously shared online that she was struggling with postpartum anxiety
OMG! Her poor husband! Sounds like he was doing everything to support her and it still happened!

Omg… worse than I even imagined. This is going to haunt everyone forever…

I’ve heard the same locally about his having just gone out to get take but didn’t realize he’d been working from home to support. Then the unthinkable in minutes.

so hard to try to find anything to say. So heartbreaking. I realize the mother was suffering but she killed her children.

I wish the same compassion for those who are mentally ill and commit horrible crimes like these. Or less compassion for both. Just seems like a double standard.

l’ve struggled with these same thoughts since hearing about this. Where does culpability start and where does it end. We know to have compassion for the mentally ill (I hope) but where should it end? Should it end? Can you have empathy but not forgiveness? I don’t know either.

This poor man, he was doing all he could! What hell he's living right now. I hope he has the support that he's going to need and his baby will be okay. This is a heart breaking tragedy.

I think people are treating it a little differently since they were her own kids and she tried to kill herself too. If she survives she's going to have to live with what she did to her own children and her own family for the rest of her life. That's more punishment IMO than most offenders get since they hurt and kill other people's kids, not their own.

But I did pause to think how we've seen male family annihilators, like the recent one in Utah, and we don't stop to ask if there's mental illness there. We just assume jealousy, evil, rage. Is it harder for us to see that in women? JMO and just asking questions.

She obviously had to be by herself with the children when her PPD seized her. Did she not have visitors or family who visited to see her and the children from time to time? Guessing she may have been too depressed or ashamed to call a friend or relative to help her with the children -- or maybe she had discouraged friends, neighbors, or relatives to visit when she apparently was feeling overcome by PPD. Dunno.
Just such a shame and a loss for her, her relatives and her friends.
Those two children who did not survive --- what a scary and horrible thing for each one to undergo.
What pain, sorrow, and loss on so many levels. Her poor husband -- apparently things must have been okay for a while after the third child was born. I guess PPD, if that was the problem, can strike early or later after childbirth.
And now her husband's life has changed overnight. SMH. Prayers for him.

I think we have to be careful her. WBZ's report (on page 1 of this thread) is that she suffered from postpartum psychosis, NOT postpartum depression (PPD). They are different illnesses.

I think people are treating it a little differently since they were her own kids and she tried to kill herself too. If she survives she's going to have to live with what she did to her own children and her own family for the rest of her life. That's more punishment IMO than most offenders get since they hurt and kill other people's kids, not their own.

But I did pause to think how we've seen male family annihilators, like the recent one in Utah, and we don't stop to ask if there's mental illness there. We just assume jealousy, evil, rage. Is it harder for us to see that in women? JMO and just asking questions.

IMO, people tend to have more compassion when they can blame hormones, which is often what people blame for postpartum pathology. Everyone knows or has known someone with PPD (maybe even themselves) and even though in this case, it's thought to be postpartum psychosis, look how many posters are showing compassion due to their knowledge of PPD. Most people don't "get" schizophrenia because less than 1% of the population suffers from it and most don't know anyone who had it. It's really sad. JMO.

This is just a horrific nightmare for all involved.

How was the baby injured? Did she jump with him in her arms? :(
No, if I had to guess…. she hung/strangled the kids with exercise bands in the basement. Slit her wrists and throat, then jumped from a second floor window. Probably paralyzed from the waist down. Just MOO of what could have happened as I can’t provide MSM sources.

Was jumping from a 2nd story window an actual suicide attempt? I wouldn't assume that I would die from that fall after looking at the house. I do agree that we are toeing a fine line with this one b/c I'm struggling between feelings of "how could you do this to your own babies?!" and "mannn I remember how rough it was when I had ppd". Luckily, I have never experienced hallucinations so that is something I can't personally comprehend but I can understand that she may have been completely not herself and never would have done this otherwise. It's just a horrible tragedy for everyone involved but she does need to take accountability and responsibility for her actions. And imo, she should WANT to do her time.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stoney12
Back