TN - Tyre Nichols, beaten to death by 5 Memphis Police Officers, Jan 2023 *officers charged*

Why did it take so long for EMT? Did the cops purposely let time lapse to make him suffer?
It seems personal. The whole thing seems off. A reckless driving incident turns into this guy running and being beaten to death and no rush to call EMT.
He also was also concerned about the pretext for the stop. Apparently there are kidnapping charges, which indicate it should have been an only a traffic stop, with no right to pull him from car. He was concerned the video being released on a Friday night was inciting. That comment by him didn’t go over well at all.

It is sickening to realize I just watched a man be beaten to death.
Yes. It is a kidnapping charge yet he ran. I think there will be more to this story.
I bet they didn’t count on the pole camera… thank goodness it was there. I don’t know what to say. It’s just unbelievable that this happened.
I don’t think they cared. They decided to do this. How on earth do five officers let this escalate to this and not a single one decides this is a terrible idea. That doesn’t make sense to me. They are all complicit and very involved. They knew they had body cameras and being that it is Memphis, I doubt they were totally shocked by the pole cam.
It seems Memphis has been struggling for some time to hire officers. (And, also there are numerous reports of excessive force used by officers.) I guess I need to read more about these officers... how long they had been on the force and how experienced they were. Memphis is frightening.

I believe I read a couple were hired in 2020.

The fact that his mom was literally about 100 yards away says to me he wasn’t just calling out in agony to his mother… he was likely quite literally calling out to her hoping she could hear him from their house. He was *that close*. Bless his family as they try to cope with such senseless violence.
I’m so heartbroken for this young man and his family, especially his mom. I believe he was running home to his mom.
He had his mother’s name tattooed on his arm.

I watched bits of it so I haven’t seen how EMTs reacted. I wonder if they were frightened?

Also, to firemen were put on leave. Does anyone know why?
They showed that part of the video a short time ago on CNN. I don't know, in my opinion it didn't seem as if anyone there was frightened. It appeared there were many (firemen, EMTs) just standing there, letting him lay on the ground for quite a long time, when they should have been giving him medical attention, per CNN (live right now on TV). This is so disturbing. And then for the police to stand around joking about it while he is laying on the ground.... really unbelievable. I hope the death penalty will come into play in this case.

When there are many Alphas around controlling a space, I think that a lot of people can't help but fall "in line" (perceived) and just follow their lead. Humans have some terrible mob mentality personality traits...which, in this case, led to someones murder.
Anyone who didn't intervene (everyone who showed up and just..stood around chatting?) should be charged with varying degrees of neglect or complicity
absolutely disgusting, feral, vile. LIKE 15 ADULTS MILLING AROUND, what does it take?
MOO

I watched bits of it so I haven’t seen how EMTs reacted. I wonder if they were frightened?

Also, to firemen were put on leave. Does anyone know why?
It appears to me the initial responding EMTs basically arrived, sat their bags down beside Tyre, then proceeded to do…. nothing. It doesn’t appear to me from the video that they attempted to even assess him, take vitals, etc. They just proceeded to banter around with the officers for a prolonged period of time.

I watched it. My stomach is still churning and I feel nauseous. The news station I saw it on showed only the last few seconds with audio where he’s screaming for his mother. The other two parts I saw were pole camera videos with no audio. It makes no sense and I cannot understand. What in the world possessed these 5 men to behave this way??? I am not Black but I am a mother and I can’t even imagine the horror and torment his family is having to endure. I can’t imagine his terror and pain, wanting his mom to help as this went on and on. It’s absolutely inhumane.

It appears to me the initial responding EMTs basically arrived, sat their bags down beside Tyre, then proceeded to do…. nothing. It doesn’t appear to me from the video that they attempted to even assess him, take vitals, etc. They just proceeded to banter around with the officers for a prolonged period of time.
It’s crazy… did they know each other? The officer’s and EMT’s? He was in dire need of medical help at that time.

The fact that his mom was literally about 100 yards away says to me he wasn’t just calling out in agony to his mother… he was likely quite literally calling out to her hoping she could hear him from their house. He was *that close*. Bless his family as they try to cope with such senseless violence.
Agree. He was hoping she would hear him and come and save him.

I don’t know what came over these former LE but this was nothing more than gang mentality. What would provoke such violence?

It’s shocking to see everyone standing around, including the paramedics. I just don’t get that.

MOO

Moo. It is a beat down..five guys on one. He is being held down..he cannot get into fetal position to defend his body. If you are a cop..you cannot kick downed person...what it going on with those cops...that is street fighting. That was wrong..they know that..anger management guys...moo

I’m in Memphis and I am a former MPD communications employee. None of the officers had more than 5 years in the force. One had been involved in a case, when he was a jailer, where he was accused of beating an inmate.

The struggle to find officers started when the city cut benefits and many officers took lateral transfers and moved away. Memphis had to come with some incentives and lately they’ve had a few large classes to come through the academy.

When I worked for MPD, there were several patrol officers who were known for roughing suspects up. It was known but definitely hush hush.

Thank you so much for sharing personal insight. I feel sooo bad for the good people of Memphis :(

Agree. He was hoping she would hear him and come and save him.

I don’t know what came over these former LE but this was nothing more than gang mentality. What would provoke such violence?

It’s shocking to see everyone standing around, including the paramedics. I just don’t get that.

MOO

I felt the same... gang mentality. And, I don't understand it either.

I’m not sure if this can be shared here, but this is Tyre’s photography site. He moved to Memphis from Sacramento, California, for a change of pace. Last week, one of his friends posted that Tyre loved the beauty of Tennessee and said that he was at peace here.

<modsnip - added link to approved site>
T Nichols Photography

Why did they yank him out of the car and put him on the ground for reckless driving in the first place?

I was pulled over for reckless driving (45 in a 30) and the officer just stood at my window got my license ect ect. Normal traffic stop. I was not asked to leave my vehicle.

I was scared to watch the video but as horrible as this was, it still doesn't compare to poor Kelly Thomas. And his killers got away with it.

I am thinking tonight of Elijah McClain, Ahmaud Arbery, George Floyd and many others who died at the hands of LE and former LE who thought they were above the law. We now have another senseless death and a new name to add to the list.

When there is an implication that these were newer cops because the force can't hire..... we should not forget that these murderers were trained, given a special detail, and supervised. They knew they had cameras but didn't care-- the pole camera acknowledgment is key in seeing that they had not sense of guilt or shame until they knew they would be caught. Any medical people or secondary people on the scene who rendered no aid should be charged as well.

One of Mr. Floyd's murderers had many years on the force. It is not about low quality candidates as much as it is about training and a mentality that cops can often do what they want, when they want. Change is coming about but too late for this young man. RIP and may his family some day find peace because we know they won't for a long, long time.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken
Back