SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex Murdaugh trial continues with more focus on evidence, firearms and SLED's evidence gathering procedures​

Murdaugh is facing a possibility of life in prison if convicted.

WALTERBORO, S.C. — The double murder trial of Alex Murdaugh continues Monday with a continued focus by the prosecution on evidence collection on the night of the killing.
Murdaugh is accused of killing his wife, Maggie, and adult son, Paul, at the family's Colleton County estate in South Carolina in June of 2021. Murdaugh's attorneys maintain their clients innocence and say investigators rushed to judgment.

Defense attorney Dick Harpootilian’s cross examination of SLED Agent Melinda Worley begins the Monday, Jan. 30, session.
On Friday, Worley took the stand Friday afternoon to answer questions about SLED’s methodology of collecting evidence at the Moselle crime scene on June 7, 2021. Worley also was called on to assist the prosecution entering hundreds of pieces of evidence into court.

More than 250 people are on the potential witness list for the defense and prosecution.

The list includes agents from the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED), forensic experts, Murdaugh family members and medical professionals.

Here's who has been called so far:

• Tinish Bryson-Smith: Hampton County 911 Dispatch
  • Angela Stallings: Colleton County Dispatch/Colleton County Sheriff's Office
  • Barry McRoy: Colleton County Fire Rescue
  • Jason Chapman: Colleton County Sheriff's Office Captain
  • Laura Rutland: Colleton County Sheriff's Office Detective
  • Sgt. Daniel Greene: Colleton County Sheriff's Office
  • Corp. Chad McDowell: Colleton County Sheriff's Office
  • Dalila Cirencione: SLED agent
  • Melinda Worley: SLED forensic agent
  • Jeff Croft: SLED Senior Special Agent

Stolen or lost and I'm thinking a weapon like that if stolen would be reported just in case it ends up involved in a crime...hmmm. If lost, can't recall anytime in my dealings with weapon repairs and interactions with customers of hearing of a weapon lost but can happen.
I wonder if we’ll ever find out what the river search was about. I always wondered what evidence they were looking for.

Stolen or lost and I'm thinking a weapon like that if stolen would be reported just in case it ends up involved in a crime...hmmm. If lost, can't recall anytime in my dealings with weapon repairs and interactions with customers of hearing of a weapon lost but can happen.
What I find truly hard to comprehend is with the amount of guns at Moselle there isn't an inventory that has been accessed to determine which guns are missing. How can you determine the value of your personal property if you don't have an inventory? I guess an insurance company would just take AM's word for how many and what kind of guns were owned if the main house were to burn or if there was a theft.

Maybe the gun wasn't reported because it was used as a payoff of some sort.

jmo

Has it been said what the date is on that receipt?

Buying an item(s) totaling $1K and leaving a package in a specific place would be a great way to pay someone for a favor without leaving a money trail. Not that I think an honest person would do that.

jmo
No testimony yet regarding the date of the receipt/cc statement. But it was admitted into evidence so the jury can read it.

[…]
State Law Enforcement Division Special Agent Melinda Worley testified for hours Friday for the prosecution about evidence collected, including photographs of the bodies, shotgun pellets and DNA swabs from the scene, clothes and fingernail clippings from the autopsies and other items.

In Monday's cross-examination, defense attorney Dick Harpootlian honed in on several items, including identifying footprints, one of Worley's specialties. She told him one of the footprints in blood near where Murdaugh's son was shot came from a deputy.

"Is that the preservation of the scene that your standards require?" Harpootlian asked.

"Not exactly, no," Worley responded.
[…]
The defense attorney also pointed out a few mistakes in Worley's work. For instance, Worley had examined a shotgun that Alex Murdaugh said he'd grabbed to possibly defend himself after finding his wife and son. Harpootlian said the special agent incorrectly determined that the shells inside the shotgun were the same size, when, in fact, they were different sizes. The defense attorney also noted that the angle of a gunshot was given in different degrees in Worley's scene notes and her final report.
[…]

Defense faults crime scene collection in Alex Murdaugh trial

Last edited by a moderator:
Also many have said they were living apart (MM and AM) but from the interview we heard today they were living at Moselle. Confused about that and it was said Paul ate with JMM but JMM was taking the dad to the hospital supposedly that is why he had JMM truck.

Why would Alex be calling Rogan so many times? Was he concerned that Rogan might have decided to come over to the kennels to check on the dog situation and he wanted to know whether Rogan would be there when he rolled up to the murder scene?
Quoting myself ^^ or did Alex call Rogan after he found Maggie’s and Paul’s bodies?
Quoting myself again…

AM called Rogan after calling 911. AM placed calls to Rogan Gibson at:
10:21
10:24
10:25
10:30

AM’s 911 call: “The call was made at 10:07 p.m. the night of June 7, 2021, and first responders arrived 18 minutes later.”

Read more at: https://www.thestate.com/news/local/crime/article271689727.html#storylink=cpy

What I find truly hard to comprehend is with the amount of guns at Moselle there isn't an inventory that has been accessed to determine which guns are missing. How can you determine the value of your personal property if you don't have an inventory? I guess an insurance company would just take AM's word for how many and what kind of guns were owned if the main house were to burn or if there was a theft.

Maybe the gun wasn't reported because it was used as a payoff of some sort.

jmo
Every weapon I have is documented along with serial numbers, even photos. If any come up stolen would report pronto but know some who have collections that are not documented and many times end up showing up in the wrong hands and crime scenes. A man in his position would be very stringent with what he has in in his weapon inventory. For one of his weapons to grow leg's and run away, not likely.

Also many have said they were living apart (MM and AM) but from the interview we heard today they were living at Moselle. Confused about that and it was said Paul ate with JMM but JMM was taking the dad to the hospital supposedly that is why he had JMM truck.
Think there was a bigger riff developing between him and his wife due to all his skeletons falling out of the closet and landing in the light of the public.

Maybe a check bounced that day or later credit card purchase was declined? I recall news stories reporting she had confronted AM over check's bouncing.
I'm wondering if something was lost in translation about this Gucci transaction. A reporter that likely saw the exhibit states it was a credit card statement in the trash, not a Gucci store receipt:

1/30/23

The jury then heard about SLED's search of a shed later on. SLED was specifically looking through the trash at the shed looking for garbage taken out of the house.

The trash revealed empty ammo boxes, specifically 12 gauge Federal Premium, Winchester Longbeard Xr 3.5" No. 4 and Browning TSS 3.5" No. 7 & No. 9 duplex shot turkey loads.

It also included a credit cart statement with an item circled: Gucci store for $1,021.10.

I'm wondering if something was lost in translation about this Gucci transaction. A reporter that likely saw the exhibit states it was a credit card statement in the trash, not a Gucci store receipt:

1/30/23

The jury then heard about SLED's search of a shed later on. SLED was specifically looking through the trash at the shed looking for garbage taken out of the house.

The trash revealed empty ammo boxes, specifically 12 gauge Federal Premium, Winchester Longbeard Xr 3.5" No. 4 and Browning TSS 3.5" No. 7 & No. 9 duplex shot turkey loads.

It also included a credit cart statement with an item circled: Gucci store for $1,021.10.
My question is…who circled that Gucci charge on the credit card bill…Alex or Maggie?

What??

That's not true. That day Seckinger
confronted Murdaugh about missing money. They were deep in it when his brother called him saying their father when into hospice.
Allegedly he had to quit work early to handle that, putting that particular conversation on hold.

Paul didn't even leave his uncle's till 6pm. John Marvin asked Paul to retrieve his truck from his parent’s home – which is believed to be the vehicle Paul drove to Moselle on the night he was murdered...

Why would Alex be calling Rogan so many times? Was he concerned that Rogan might have decided to come over to the kennels to check on the dog situation and he wanted to know whether Rogan would be there when he rolled up to the murder scene?
And all the cops would be there when he got home and spoil his discovery and 911 call...he'd have to act on camera for the initial shock? JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd