MA - Lindsay Clancy, Strangled 3 Children in Murder/Suicide Attempt, Duxbury, Jan 2023

Anyone think it’s odd the silence on this case and the fact that they’ve yet to charge her with murder of the third baby? It makes me think she isn’t going to make it.
I expect they're waiting on the full autopsy results for the infant. Because there was an interval between the attack and his death, they'll be looking for causation. They'll more than likely find it, but they're not going to rush this.

I expect they're waiting on the full autopsy results for the infant. Because there was an interval between the attack and his death, they'll be looking for causation. They'll more than likely find it, but they're not going to rush this.
That or other evidence in the case

Anyone think it’s odd the silence on this case and the fact that they’ve yet to charge her with murder of the third baby? It makes me think she isn’t going to make it.
I just looked up her name and found this

I find myself very conflicted about this case. On one hand, I am pleased that empathy is being offered to a perpetrator who was clearly in the throes of mental illness. I'm grateful that PPP is being thoughtfully destigmatized by many professionals and people who have gone through it themselves.

On the other hand, I'm left wondering who 'deserves' a near-unanimous display of empathy and support after murdering three children. Would a murderer who isn't a perfect example of what present-day American society typifies as ideal receive less empathy? Would there be universal support for a murderer who was nonwhite, who was poor, who was a single mother with no husband stridently defending her in the press, who, instead of working in a caregiving job, was perhaps a sex worker? What about an illegal immigrant? You may say it's a moot point because that isn't the case being discussed, or that I can't predict how people would react in another scenario. But I've rarely seen any empathy for women who kill and discard their infants, who lay unidentified for years. When the infants are identified and the mothers arrested, there is celebration, not mourning. But who knows if in addition to PPP, those mothers weren't experiencing homelessness, abuse, or many other traumas.

I hope that the empathy offered to this woman is carefully considered, and that everyone so readily offering it explores their beliefs on when matricide is a 'tragedy' and when it's a crime.
I also find myself conflicted on this case. I do think it's very likely that LC was in the throes of a mental health crisis or psychosis and if she comes out of this, will be devastated to learn of her actions. It's also a bit surreal to see the instant understanding, compassion for a mom who looks a certain way. I can't quite articulate it, and I'm talking more generally than specifically about this situation, but it's interesting how people look at HER Facebook photos and instantly declare, "She loved those babies so much." I'm sure she did, but can we really trust Facebook highlights as an insight into anything??

Chris Watts looked like a doting dad, the California doc who tried to run his family off his cliff with a Tesla, if there's anything these cases have taught me is that "#thankful and #blessed social media posts rarely paint a full picture. It also bothers me a bit to read optimistic comments that LC's kids "knew" this wasn't their real mommy, that they weren't scared or frightened. But we know what it was Chris Watts, the dad, that at least one older child purportedly said, "Daddy no." Fear and confusion from the parent she knew and love. I don't think I can be caught up in hopeful, clouded bliss that the C kids, the victims, felt nothing but love and rainbows for their beloved mother in the moments of their demise, and not that they may have petrified, confused, sad, to be harmed at the hands of a parent they trusted, just because we may have sympathy and compassion for someone suffering from perhaps some sort of psychosis. I don't think the victim in the final, brutal moments of their lives at the hands of someone they rely on and trust for safety, security, comfort, and protect from harm, has any ability to distinguish if its the result of a selfish family annihilator or a parent out of their mind. It might make us feel better to imagine they knew they difference and didn't suffer, but I think it's an awful lot of assumptions about the victims' last moments with their beloved parent, that may make some people feel better to believe, but I'm not sure that's the case.

I also find myself conflicted on this case. I do think it's very likely that LC was in the throes of a mental health crisis or psychosis and if she comes out of this, will be devastated to learn of her actions. It's also a bit surreal to see the instant understanding, compassion for a mom who looks a certain way. I can't quite articulate it, and I'm talking more generally than specifically about this situation, but it's interesting how people look at HER Facebook photos and instantly declare, "She loved those babies so much." I'm sure she did, but can we really trust Facebook highlights as an insight into anything??

Chris Watts looked like a doting dad, the California doc who tried to run his family off his cliff with a Tesla, if there's anything these cases have taught me is that "#thankful and #blessed social media posts rarely paint a full picture. It also bothers me a bit to read optimistic comments that LC's kids "knew" this wasn't their real mommy, that they weren't scared or frightened. But we know what it was Chris Watts, the dad, that at least one older child purportedly said, "Daddy no." Fear and confusion from the parent she knew and love. I don't think I can be caught up in hopeful, clouded bliss that the C kids, the victims, felt nothing but love and rainbows for their beloved mother in the moments of their demise, and not that they may have petrified, confused, sad, to be harmed at the hands of a parent they trusted, just because we may have sympathy and compassion for someone suffering from perhaps some sort of psychosis. I don't think the victim in the final, brutal moments of their lives at the hands of someone they rely on and trust for safety, security, comfort, and protect from harm, has any ability to distinguish if its the result of a selfish family annihilator or a parent out of their mind. It might make us feel better to imagine they knew they difference and didn't suffer, but I think it's an awful lot of assumptions about the victims' last moments with their beloved parent, that may make some people feel better to believe, but I'm not sure that's the case.
I think we'd like to hope they didn't suffer, that they weren't scared, but I also think that unless she incapacitated them with something like blunt force trauma first, from behind, quickly, so they didn't see the blow coming, at least the five year old knew, understood, and resisted. The eight month old was probably too young understand. I have no idea with the other child. Poor lambs.

Apparently LC is improving daily and in communication with friends and family.
My first thought to seeing what you wrote was, 'oh, that's good'. And then I remembered it might be more merciful for her if she never came back to lucidity. There's no softening the sharp edges of what she did once reality reasserts itself.

My first thought to seeing what you wrote was, 'oh, that's good'. And then I remembered it might be more merciful for her if she never came back to lucidity. There's no softening the sharp edges of what she did once reality reasserts itself.
I can’t even imagine the next level of hell for this poor woman. My heart weeps….

Lindsay Clancy, the Duxbury mother accused of killing her three children last week, was “an amazing mother, nurse, and friend” leading up to the tragedy that rocked her South Shore community, according to coworkers from Massachusetts General Hospital.

In a comment accompanying a $5,125 donation to Clancy’s husband, Patrick, the 32-year-old nurse’s “MGH Family” described her as an “asset … that we will forever appreciate and love.”

According to the comment, the donation comes from the postpartum, special care nursery, and neonatal intensive care units at MGH, where Clancy worked as a labor and delivery nurse.

“The halls may be quiet, but our hearts are speaking loudly in support of Patrick, Lindsay, and your entire family,” the group wrote. “We offer you this donation in addition to a promise to continue to share the wonderful stories about Lindsay, your babies, and the light that she brought to her patients in their most vulnerable times.”

Sometimes terrible things happen and it’s no one’s fault. The babies were no doubt confused and terrified, as they would have been to meet another death, as I would if someone killed me aware right now; death is cruel, these deaths are particularly cruel. But that doesn’t make it murder.

I have a psychotic disorder and I’m sure I’m not alone in here. Sounds like Lindsay was fighting back against hers hard. Patients in inpatient and intensive outpatient programs are not passive recipients of care. You work your *advertiser censored* off. It’s so hard. Dragging your brain back to you takes engagement, effort that is impossible to explain to someone who hasn’t been there.

So it’s not just that doctors and therapists and her husband were doing everything they could. She herself was doing everything she could. Support for psychosis is just company in hell without your own drive.

As a mom who has been there, is sometimes there- the kind of drive I am talking about comes from love for your kids. A need to get back to your kids. Sometimes just the faith in that possibility even though you can’t see it happening. You go through hospital saying I can do this because I have to see my child again.

I hope you don’t have the ability to understand what happened to her from the knowledge base of the insider crew. The terrible, terrible cruelty of it. The children are granted peace now, but she will have to wake up. Omg. How on earth can anyone not feel she is also a victim, everyone in this story is a victim of mental illness imo including their beautiful children

Sometimes terrible things happen and it’s no one’s fault. The babies were no doubt confused and terrified, as they would have been to meet another death, as I would if someone killed me aware right now; death is cruel, these deaths are particularly cruel. But that doesn’t make it murder.

I have a psychotic disorder and I’m sure I’m not alone in here. Sounds like Lindsay was fighting back against hers hard. Patients in inpatient and intensive outpatient programs are not passive recipients of care. You work your *advertiser censored* off. It’s so hard. Dragging your brain back to you takes engagement, effort that is impossible to explain to someone who hasn’t been there.

So it’s not just that doctors and therapists and her husband were doing everything they could. She herself was doing everything she could. Support for psychosis is just company in hell without your own drive.

As a mom who has been there, is sometimes there- the kind of drive I am talking about comes from love for your kids. A need to get back to your kids. Sometimes just the faith in that possibility even though you can’t see it happening. You go through hospital saying I can do this because I have to see my child again.

I hope you don’t have the ability to understand what happened to her from the knowledge base of the insider crew. The terrible, terrible cruelty of it. The children are granted peace now, but she will have to wake up. Omg. How on earth can anyone not feel she is also a victim, everyone in this story is a victim of mental illness imo including their beautiful children
Thank you for sharing this personal insight. I think it was needed. You made yourself vulnerable to help us feel more empathy for another human being who is right in the middle of the worst moment in her life. That was a very generous thing to do, and I respect the heck out of you for doing it.

According to the lawyer, between last October and January, Lindsay Clancy was prescribed a total of 12 different medications.
They were: zolpidem which is sold under the brand name Ambien, clonazepam, which is sold under the brand name of Klonopin, diazepam which is sold under the brand name Valium, fluoxetine which is sold under the brand name Prozac, lamotrigine, which is sold under the brand name Lamictil, lorazepam, which is sold under the brand name Ativan, mirtazapine, which is sold under the brand name Remeron, quetiapine fumarate, which is sold under the brand name Seroquel, and trazodone, which is is known by the generic name.

Reddington said the criminal process will begin next Tuesday at 2 p.m. when Lindsay Clancy appears via Zoom while he, the prosecutor and judge meet in Plymouth District Court for her delayed arraignment.

According to the lawyer, between last October and January, Lindsay Clancy was prescribed a total of 12 different medications.
They were: zolpidem which is sold under the brand name Ambien, clonazepam, which is sold under the brand name of Klonopin, diazepam which is sold under the brand name Valium, fluoxetine which is sold under the brand name Prozac, lamotrigine, which is sold under the brand name Lamictil, lorazepam, which is sold under the brand name Ativan, mirtazapine, which is sold under the brand name Remeron, quetiapine fumarate, which is sold under the brand name Seroquel, and trazodone, which is is known by the generic name.

Reddington said the criminal process will begin next Tuesday at 2 p.m. when Lindsay Clancy appears via Zoom while he, the prosecutor and judge meet in Plymouth District Court for her delayed arraignment.
Interestingly, in this article states her attorney states she has not been allowed to communicate with anyone outside her doctors and attorney. That contradicts the article I posted the other day where the police chief said in an email to a reporter that she had communicated with family and friends. In fact this article says her parents drove down to the hospital and were denied admission.

I guess it doesn't really mean anything, it's just goes to show - don't believe anything you read ;) MOO

That is a hefty list. My husband was prescribed Mirtazipine and it was horrific, he was so irrationally angry, rage inducingly so and so mean after just the first dose, he refused to take another and went back to sertraline. My nephew has just recently started on Mirtazipine and his only side effect is sleepiness.

It sounds like they were trialling meds in the hope of finding one that worked. Poor Lindsay must be absolutely bereft. My heart breaks for every single member of this family, I hope one day Lindsay and her husband can find peace, although I don't think she ever will :(

All JMO.

I can't read the Globe story, behind a paywall. Here's another source -

A defense attorney for Lindsay Clancy told The Boston Globe his client was overmedicated on prescription drugs that sparked homicidal and suicidal thoughts on the evening she allegedly strangled her three children and attempted to kill herself.

In an interview that also touched on Clancy’s current medical condition and upcoming arraignment, Kevin J. Reddington told the Globe that the medications prescribed to Clancy were “turning her into a zombie.”

Clancy and her husband, Patrick, repeatedly approached doctors for help with her condition, Reddington told the Globe.

“She had medical care and treatment on a regular basis. And her husband was very proactive in trying to protect her and help her with the doctors’ medication she was prescribed,” he said. “They went through hell — and they didn’t come back.”

Medical professionals hadn’t warned Patrick Clancy not to leave his wife alone with their children, the defense attorney said.

Reddington told the Globe that his client’s suicide attempt left her unable to walk, though he declined to use the word “paralyzed.”

“She can’t get out of bed. She can’t walk. I don’t know what the medical prognosis is regarding that, but right now, she cannot walk,” he said. “She’s not in good physical shape. She’s not in good emotional shape. … She is not going to get out of bed and walk out of the room.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bosie
Back