MA - Lindsay Clancy, Strangled 3 Children in Murder/Suicide Attempt, Duxbury, Jan 2023

Based on what Lindsay's attorney is saying regarding the drugs she was prescribed - I'd like to hear from our medical professionals. Does this sound right or is the attorney overstating in hopes of keeping Lindsay out of jail until trial? Link for reference.

According to the lawyer, between last October and January, Lindsay Clancy was prescribed a total of 12 different medications.
They were: zolpidem which is sold under the brand name Ambien, clonazepam, which is sold under the brand name of Klonopin, diazepam which is sold under the brand name Valium, fluoxetine which is sold under the brand name Prozac, lamotrigine, which is sold under the brand name Lamictil, lorazepam, which is sold under the brand name Ativan, mirtazapine, which is sold under the brand name Remeron, quetiapine fumarate, which is sold under the brand name Seroquel, and trazodone, which is is known by the generic name.

Reddington said the criminal process will begin next Tuesday at 2 p.m. when Lindsay Clancy appears via Zoom while he, the prosecutor and judge meet in Plymouth District Court for her delayed arraignment.
Wow, that's a lot of different medications! I have to wonder whether all these medication switches (I'm assuming she wasn't taking all 12 at one time) may have worsened her condition. One time, many years ago, I had one of my psychiatric medications adjusted and had to be hospitalized because it caused me to have a psychotic break.

There is absolutely no way any psychiatrist would have someone on therapeutic doses of twelve different psychiatric medications at once. Ever. However, she may have been prescribed them and taken off them during different periods of her treatment, which can sometimes cause issues as it can take a while for certain medications to leave the system.

There is absolutely no way any psychiatrist would have someone on therapeutic doses of twelve different psychiatric medications at once. Ever. However, she may have been prescribed them and taken off them during different periods of her treatment, which can sometimes cause issues as it can take a while for certain medications to leave the system.
12 different medications in 3 months comes out to about one per week - that seems like a lot of change in a short amount of time, or else I guess a lot of different combinations in a short time. At the very least this confirms she was experiencing some significant mental distress. MOO

Am I misreading the list or is there only 9 listed, not 12?
The article says "Clancy was prescribed 13 different psychiatric medications, including..." so I guess they just did not name them all?

According to the lawyer, between last October and January, Lindsay Clancy was prescribed a total of 12 different medications.
They were: zolpidem which is sold under the brand name Ambien, clonazepam, which is sold under the brand name of Klonopin, diazepam which is sold under the brand name Valium, fluoxetine which is sold under the brand name Prozac, lamotrigine, which is sold under the brand name Lamictil, lorazepam, which is sold under the brand name Ativan, mirtazapine, which is sold under the brand name Remeron, quetiapine fumarate, which is sold under the brand name Seroquel, and trazodone, which is is known by the generic name.

Reddington said the criminal process will begin next Tuesday at 2 p.m. when Lindsay Clancy appears via Zoom while he, the prosecutor and judge meet in Plymouth District Court for her delayed arraignment.
Just one of those medications would be enough to have an intense effect on me. Was she taking all of these at once? Did one doctor prescribe them all? That's a large amount of chemicals for one person to be taking in a short amount of time. Even if she was off one and then starting another you can't do that very quickly or there could be adverse effects. This is shocking.

This article lists all 13 drugs. Having some experience with the psychiatric side of medicine (I work in health care), I suspect she likely started on Zoloft, then was switched to Prozac, and the hydroxyzine is often used for anxiety in the initial weeks waiting for an anti-depressant to kick in.

Then the heavier hitters came out. Seroquel, remeron, etc. Throw in some Valium and Ativan for anxiety. Trazadone and ambien for sleep. Multiple meds used to treat bipolar and/or schizophrenia. And on and on and on.

She didn’t stand a chance taking all of this stuff. All but the last 3 were said to have been found in her tox screen.All 13 meds

He told the newspaper that between last October and January, Clancy was prescribed 13 different psychiatric medications,
including zolpidem (sold under the brand name Ambien);
clonazepam (sold under the brand name Klonopin);
diazepam (sold under the brand name Valium);
fluoxetine (sold under the brand name Prozac);
lamotrigine (sold under the brand name Lamictil);
lorazepam (sold under the brand name Ativan);
mirtazapine (sold under the brand name Remeron);
quetiapine fumarate (sold under the brand name Seroquel);
sertaline (sold under the brand name Zoloft);
and trazodone, hydroxyzine, amitriptyline, and buspirone.

This article lists all 13 drugs. Having some experience with the psychiatric side of medicine (I work in health care), I suspect she likely started on Zoloft, then was switched to Prozac, and the hydroxyzine is often used for anxiety in the initial weeks waiting for an anti-depressant to kick in.

Then the heavier hitters came out. Seroquel, remeron, etc. Throw in some Valium and Ativan for anxiety. Trazadone and ambien for sleep. Multiple meds used to treat bipolar and/or schizophrenia. And on and on and on.

She didn’t stand a chance taking all of this stuff. All but the last 3 were said to have been found in her tox screen.All 13 meds
From the article the lawyer is asking for LC to be able to stay with her parents. This makes zero sense. LC needs to be in a locked mental health facility. She is a danger to others and herself. Having her parents be responsible for her is absurd.

That is a hefty list. My husband was prescribed Mirtazipine and it was horrific, he was so irrationally angry, rage inducingly so and so mean after just the first dose, he refused to take another and went back to sertraline. My nephew has just recently started on Mirtazipine and his only side effect is sleepiness.

It sounds like they were trialling meds in the hope of finding one that worked. Poor Lindsay must be absolutely bereft. My heart breaks for every single member of this family, I hope one day Lindsay and her husband can find peace, although I don't think she ever will :(

All JMO.
Whereas Mirtazipine is the only thing I've ever been on which has worked for longer than six months. And I've been medicated, in some form or another, since I was five, though before I was sixteen, my mother was giving me potions mixed by her herbalist friend, or off the shelf health store remedies which were mostly an alcohol base.

Individual reactions to drugs are so random. You can be members of the same family, full sibling or parent and child, and have completely different reactions to a drug. And with a lot of psychiatric medications, they STILL DON'T KNOW why they help when they help. Lithium, for example, which has been used since the nineteenth century (though not broadly until after the 1950s) to help people with bipolar. They still don't know how it works, just that it does, for a lot of people.

Finding the right drug, or the right drug combination, is as much a matter of luck as anything else.

MOO

From the article the lawyer is asking for LC to be able to stay with her parents. This makes zero sense. LC needs to be in a locked mental health facility. She is a danger to others and herself. Having her parents be responsible for her is absurd.
I was perplexed at that suggestion as well, unless perhaps he was thinking here let me give the judge 3 options, knowing one is crazy-talk, so maybe they’ll go for one of the other two?

I can’t imagine her being safe from harming herself with her parents, though I honestly hope if it’s her wish to die, that she finds a way to be successful. I cannot imagine living with what she’s done.

I was perplexed at that suggestion as well, unless perhaps he was thinking here let me give the judge 3 options, knowing one is crazy-talk, so maybe they’ll go for one of the other two?

I can’t imagine her being safe from harming herself with her parents, though I honestly hope if it’s her wish to die, that she finds a way to be successful. I cannot imagine living with what she’s done.
I wanted to like this but couldn’t push the like thingy. So sad will have to do. I wish for her whatever brings her peace. And I know that would, for me, be death. But, I don’t know her faith, I don’t know her, so whatever gets her through the rest of her life, I hope works for her and her family.

He told the newspaper that between last October and January, Clancy was prescribed 13 different psychiatric medications,
including zolpidem (sold under the brand name Ambien);
clonazepam (sold under the brand name Klonopin);
diazepam (sold under the brand name Valium);
fluoxetine (sold under the brand name Prozac);
lamotrigine (sold under the brand name Lamictil);
lorazepam (sold under the brand name Ativan);
mirtazapine (sold under the brand name Remeron);
quetiapine fumarate (sold under the brand name Seroquel);
sertaline (sold under the brand name Zoloft);
and trazodone, hydroxyzine, amitriptyline, and buspirone.

Thank you! Looks like all the excerpts I was seeing omitted the last 3, and my usual methods of getting around the paywall were failing me.

Other articles I saw said her lawyer was seeking permission for her to be able to SPEAK to her parents. It does not sound like she is being allowed visits due to being in the hospital. Prisoners are generally allowed visits and calls with family.

Based on what Lindsay's attorney is saying regarding the drugs she was prescribed - I'd like to hear from our medical professionals. Does this sound right or is the attorney overstating in hopes of keeping Lindsay out of jail until trial? Link for reference.
Since all of these are prescription drugs the attorney will be able to show (or not) when they were prescribed, how, and by whom. I would think he already has seen the records from the husband in order to make claims like this.

I think it does show that she was trying to get herself help. It will be interesting to see what is in the doctor notes from her visits. If she repeatedly talked about these types of thoughts, or being afraid to harm her children or herself, what could have been done differently?

It also sounds like they are setting up a malpractice / wrongful death claim against her providers.

I think he has been gracious to his wife in his grief !
If he can already forgive Lindsay and does not harbor anger, that's showing (imo) a family that had trouble but also a great deal of love.
Pretty amazing of him.
Rusty Yates also forgave Andrea knowing how sick she was. But he too was warned not to make her pregnant, that they should not have had their last child, yet they did so anyway. It was the death of the children. Rusty remarried not long thereafter. Andrea will spend her life in a mental ward.

I found it quite ironic that this young mom Lindsay, was a nurse in a Delivery and Labor Ward working with young moms and newborns. So very sad for the family.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back