Halyna Hutchins Shot With Prop Gun - Alec Baldwin indicted & Hannah Gutierrez-Reed charged, 2021 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

The special prosecutor is also a member of the state legislature? Rather odd, I've never heard of that before. It does explain some unusual things about the investigation and filing of charges.

'Under Section 1 of Article III of the New Mexico Constitution, however, a sitting member of the Legislature may not 'exercise any powers properly belonging' to either the executive or judicial branch,' Baldwin’s attorney Luke Nikas said in the motion.

'As a special prosecutor, Representative Reeb is vested by statute with 'all the powers and duties' of a District Attorney, who is considered to be a member of either the judicial or executive branch of the New Mexico government.

Yes. Alec had a LIVE ROUND on his ammo belt! And there were 2 live rounds on the bandolier that was on the cart (presumably to be worn by one of the bad guys in the last shoot-out scene). None of the live rounds matched anything ever sold by Seth Kenney - so it did not come in through the props department. (This is all in the document linked above - around about page 250 or so).

It really is amazing to think that more killings could have taken place had they gone onward and any of the actors had decided to load their gun from their belt/bandolier (surely they wouldn't have???)

It's amazing that somehow, though, one live round was right on Alec's person. I'm sure the defense will make something of this, as they attempt to either plea bargain or get him off at trial.

IMO.
Depends how his team want to play it. That fact could be played the other way - not only did AB fail to check the rounds in the gun which he was negligently waving around at people, he also had another live round in his belt. Now, I'll agree that if it was just sitting in his bandolier then it wasn't actually in any position to do any damage but it hardly paints AB in a favorable light.

When this incident was unfolding AB was the only person on that set to be in physical possession of two live rounds of ammunition. We will almost certainly never know the answer but it would be fascinating to learn the movements of those six rounds of ammo from them getting to that set to ending up where they each did.

Its not too surprising for one to be on his ammo belt if live rounds were also found on a bandolier on the cart. Presumably, the bandolier was to be used by another actor. The evidence so far points to the armourer, the person who loaded the cartridges into the guns, ammo belts and bandoliers. Unless they can find evidence of some mysterious assassin putting those live rounds into various props, it looks like Hanna is guilty.

I think they've known Hannah was the bullet-loader since near the beginning, as the DA was emphatic that she knew "who loaded the gun." So yeah, it looks like Hannah (perhaps on multiple occasions) had some ammo that was not properly purchased for the set and could not tell it from dummies (dummies always go on bandoliers, for many reasons - same with revolvers, for the most part, unless there's supposed to be a close-up of a puff of smoke or something).

Well, I suppose Hannah could be one of the people who loaded the "costume" pieces (bandolier, belt) with bullets. I'm guessing they had fingerprints or DNA on the casing from the bullet that killed Halyna. IMO. But the rest? Maybe not - but someone has a good guess, I'm sure. Is that enough to put them on the stand? Maybe not.

Dave and Alec had the responsibility of checking the ammo in anything they touched or used, in the presence of the armorer. They knew that, but they probably forgot it long ago - given Dave's hasty style of film making. Alec is known as a hurrier.

IMO.

Depends how his team want to play it. That fact could be played the other way - not only did AB fail to check the rounds in the gun which he was negligently waving around at people, he also had another live round in his belt. Now, I'll agree that if it was just sitting in his bandolier then it wasn't actually in any position to do any damage but it hardly paints AB in a favorable light.

When this incident was unfolding AB was the only person on that set to be in physical possession of two live rounds of ammunition. We will almost certainly never know the answer but it would be fascinating to learn the movements of those six rounds of ammo from them getting to that set to ending up where they each did.

Agree, we have to keep in mind that the bandoliers were for other actors to use. People shouldn't assume AB was the only actor using a weapon in this movie. Are we sure all the live rounds were accounted for?

ETA, if Hannah was the one responsible for loading the weapons, she should know how the live rounds got on the set. There is no assistant armourer, only one person to clean, check and load the guns. Did any investigators visit her home or place of work to see if there were other live rounds present?

Last edited:
Agree, we have to keep in mind that the bandoliers were for other actors to use. People shouldn't assume AB was the only actor using a weapon in this movie. Are we sure all the live rounds were accounted for?
I think they almost certainly were. The police found them in a variety of places so they obviously conducted a very thorough search of the whole set. I think they'd have found any more were they present. The cops seem to have carried out a pretty good investigation here, from what I can see.

It's very coincidental to me that there were only six live rounds found, one of which was the fatal one. Colt SAA revolvers hold six rounds. That suggests that those six rounds may (I'm saying may rather than did) have been previously loaded into one of the revolvers, were dumped out and entered general circulation among the dummies. NM is an open carry state where carrying loaded guns is somewhat common. There are innumerable ways in which those rounds could have ended up where they did. It's entirely possible that one of those guns was loaded before the movie even commenced and travelled to the set in that condition.

I think they almost certainly were. The police found them in a variety of places so they obviously conducted a very thorough search of the whole set. I think they'd have found any more were they present. The cops seem to have carried out a pretty good investigation here, from what I can see.

It's very coincidental to me that there were only six live rounds found, one of which was the fatal one. Colt SAA revolvers hold six rounds. That suggests that those six rounds may (I'm saying may rather than did) have been previously loaded into one of the revolvers, were dumped out and entered general circulation among the dummies. NM is an open carry state where carrying loaded guns is somewhat common. There are innumerable ways in which those rounds could have ended up where they did. It's entirely possible that one of those guns was loaded before the movie even commenced and travelled to the set in that condition.
That sounds like a good possibility. Did Hannah have a gun of her own that she brought onto the set, then mixed them up?
At home, did she keep her own weapons and live ammo in the same place where she worked with blanks and movie props?

I think they've known Hannah was the bullet-loader since near the beginning, as the DA was emphatic that she knew "who loaded the gun." So yeah, it looks like Hannah (perhaps on multiple occasions) had some ammo that was not properly purchased for the set and could not tell it from dummies (dummies always go on bandoliers, for many reasons - same with revolvers, for the most part, unless there's supposed to be a close-up of a puff of smoke or something).

Well, I suppose Hannah could be one of the people who loaded the "costume" pieces (bandolier, belt) with bullets. I'm guessing they had fingerprints or DNA on the casing from the bullet that killed Halyna. IMO. But the rest? Maybe not - but someone has a good guess, I'm sure. Is that enough to put them on the stand? Maybe not.

Dave and Alec had the responsibility of checking the ammo in anything they touched or used, in the presence of the armorer. They knew that, but they probably forgot it long ago - given Dave's hasty style of film making. Alec is known as a hurrier.

IMO.

Actually, from industry standards, it was the armourer who was supposed to check the weapon in front of the actor before giving it to him/her. But, yeah, we already know Hannah ignored a lot of those rules. She was the only one who was supposed to handle those weapons and ammo.

I think this is excellent attention to detail: Six live rounds found which correspond to commonly six cylinders in old west (and modern) revolvers.

I agree, the totality suggests that somebody may of brought a loaded weapon to the set. That weapon was then presumed to have dummy rounds. The revolver is unloaded at some point and the live rounds go viral through out the set.

A photo exists of the armorer posing with two large old west style revolvers. She may have an affinity for them beyond just being "work tools". Though the photo does not prove that the armorer is behind the error, is does elevate the question.

I can't see that it matters. Whether they got there through the carelessness of the armourer or the ammo supply company, or were introduced maliciously, it still doesn't excuse AB's negligence in shooting two people. Those people would not have been shot had he not ignored multiple points in the rules of safe gun-handling.

The whole point of those rules is that you should always assume that a gun is loaded with live ammo until you have personally proved otherwise. And, even then, don't point it at anyone.
Because on a movie set, the rules of handling a firearm are different. He is supposed to be able to rely on the armorer and the director. You don't want individual actors messing with the gun. Sure, he shouldn't have pointed the gun at her and pulled the trigger. But he was reasonably relying on being told it was not loaded. That should alleviate him of any criminal intent.

I think this is excellent attention to detail: Six live rounds found which correspond to commonly six cylinders in old west (and modern) revolvers.

I agree, the totality suggests that somebody may of brought a loaded weapon to the set. That weapon was then presumed to have dummy rounds. The revolver is unloaded at some point and the live rounds go viral through out the set.

A photo exists of the armorer posing with two large old west style revolvers. She may have an affinity for them beyond just being "work tools". Though the photo does not prove that the armorer is behind the error, is does elevate the question.
But aren't live rounds somehow different than dummy ones?
Especially to an armourer? o_O

IMO.
Legally, I don't think that is correct that AB was legally obligated to check the ammo.

It may depend on the dummy ones in question. In the military, inert or "dummy" ammunition has very distinct color markings.

But....movies strive for realism. It possible that the dummy rounds produced by prop companies have more subtle markings to show that they are dummy and not live.

These possibly more subtle markings could then be over looked by somebody in a hurry- or by somebody operating with the presumption that they must be dummy rounds because that is what they are supposed to be- right?

It may depend on the dummy ones in question. In the military, inert or "dummy" ammunition has very distinct color markings.

But....movies strive for realism. It possible that the dummy rounds produced by prop companies have more subtle markings to show that they are dummy and not live.

These possibly more subtle markings could then be over looked by somebody in a hurry- or by somebody operating with the presumption that they must be dummy rounds because that is what they are supposed to be- right?
BBM, I really think is likely what happened.

That sounds like a good possibility. Did Hannah have a gun of her own that she brought onto the set, then mixed them up?
At home, did she keep her own weapons and live ammo in the same place where she worked with blanks and movie props?
All valid questions but these aren't ones we know the answer to right now. According to her second police interview the guns used on the movie came from the same place as the blank and dummy ammo. There doesn't seem to be any suggestion that she personally owned guns of this type or which used .45 Colt ammo.

In this interview (which annoyingly cuts off when they were getting into the ammo origin) there is nothing mentioned about where the live rounds may have come from. There is no suggestion the she personally has any idea as to where they came from. As I said though, it clearly cuts off before the end so they may have asked her that specific question.

Um....he wants to choose his own prosecutor? One whose political beliefs align with his own?

What arrogance. You get to choose your defense attorney, not your prosecutor.

Jmo

Because on a movie set, the rules of handling a firearm are different. He is supposed to be able to rely on the armorer and the director. You don't want individual actors messing with the gun. Sure, he shouldn't have pointed the gun at her and pulled the trigger. But he was reasonably relying on being told it was not loaded. That should alleviate him of any criminal intent.
If you read the prosecutors Probable Cause statement then it seems that this is not the case at all. The actor does not "rely" on the armorer, the director or anyone else to tell them the gun is safe or not. It makes it clear that the industry standard is for the actor and the armourer to check the gun together with both agreeing that it is in the correct state for what they intend to use it for.

The prosecution certainly does not believe that he is relieved of any criminal intent as they have filed charges against him. The crime of involuntary manslaughter does not even require any intent to carry out an unlawful act, it merely requires that the person caused death due to failing to observe due caution and circumspection when carrying out his acts. Not checking a deadly weapon for safety certainly seems to fit that criteria. IMO

Read Alex Baldwin's involuntary manslaughter charging documents

Last edited:
Dummy rounds are essentially "live" rounds which exclude the explosive/combustible materials to propel the bullet. They are made like that so that they look convincing on screen.

Um....he wants to choose his own prosecutor? One whose political beliefs align with his own?

What arrogance. You get to choose your defense attorney, not your prosecutor.

Jmo

No, his attorney is pointing out that the current special prosecutor might have a conflict of interest. The law seems clear. The government of the state of New Mexico chooses a special prosecutor, at least I hope someone qualified does.

Does anyone know why they chose a "special prosecutor" for this job? Just curious.

Legally, I don't think that is correct that AB was legally obligated to check the ammo.
Did he fail to exercise "....due caution and circumspection..." in what he was doing? That is one of the thresholds for an involuntary manslaughter conviction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie