Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trudie

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
Cool rainy night in central TX. Chicken in Adobo sauce simmering in Instapot. DH is traveling for work for a few days so MIL get to try a few things I know he won’t eat.

Sauerkraut soup and assorted peppers in freeze dryer. Not sure how well the soup will work but I can toss it to the chickens if it doesn’t.

Cool rainy night in central TX. Chicken in Adobo sauce simmering in Instapot. DH is traveling for work for a few days so MIL get to try a few things I know he won’t eat.

Sauerkraut soup and assorted peppers in freeze dryer. Not sure how well the soup will work but I can toss it to the chickens if it doesn’t.
I am enjoying hearing about the freeze dryer items and how they turn out. I had never heard of this before so it is very interesting.

I was craving a cheeseburger, so I cooked the two burgers today. They had cooked bacon pieces and chopped fried onions in them. I sprinkled garlic powder, pepper and salt. Then realized fried onion probably were salty. Oh well I’m drinking a lot of water. Tomorrow morning I’ll wear my compression socklettes to help with water retention.

I cooked them well done but actually didn’t realize it. The instant thermometer said 150 degrees. They almost had a meatloaf taste to them. I don’t know if it was the type of beef or the fried onion carbs. I would not recommend making burgers like this. Having the toppings separate is better tasting to me. I had one for lunch and one for a late dinner. Very filling at a 1/2 lb each and cured my craving!

Attachments

• C6B4CD17-3560-4F39-8CCA-C7DE7A69E64C.jpeg
    C6B4CD17-3560-4F39-8CCA-C7DE7A69E64C.jpeg
    134.2 KB · Views: 16
  • D748F76C-FEF3-4041-9D6E-A9231E6E92C3.jpeg
    D748F76C-FEF3-4041-9D6E-A9231E6E92C3.jpeg
    129.7 KB · Views: 16
  • D2E73856-05F5-4011-A6CF-A9023B5B25C8.jpeg
    D2E73856-05F5-4011-A6CF-A9023B5B25C8.jpeg
    114.3 KB · Views: 16
Only tangentially about food, but I had NO IDEA this was a thing, and we have at least seven citrus trees (blood orange, lemon, makrut lime, three mandarin, and a Tahitian lime) and thought I'd share this to maybe help prevent any of you developing this rare and painful reaction. Warning for pictures of severe blisters.

Byron Shire boy, 8, hospitalised with 'margarita burns' after juicing limes

Only tangentially about food, but I had NO IDEA this was a thing, and we have at least seven citrus trees (blood orange, lemon, makrut lime, three mandarin, and a Tahitian lime) and thought I'd share this to maybe help prevent any of you developing this rare and painful reaction. Warning for pictures of severe blisters.

Byron Shire boy, 8, hospitalised with 'margarita burns' after juicing limes
Maybe they should get him allergy tested as a precaution. I was peeling a mango a year or two ago and the juice dropped down my arm. My skin blistered immediately. I never felt it. My kiddo just happened to walk by and said put that down right now.

That’s how I generally find out what my new allergies are. That’s in addition to skin tests and blood tests over the years.

Maybe they should get him allergy tested as a precaution. I was peeling a mango a year or two ago and the juice dropped down my arm. My skin blistered immediately. I never felt it. My kiddo just happened to walk by and said put that down right now.

That’s how I generally find out what my new allergies are. That’s in addition to skin tests and blood tests over the years.
I'm assuming they'll be doing all that too, just to be sure.

I'd just never heard of this reaction, before. Other photoreactions, but not this.

Good morning from my home in Rochester Hills, MI. No room service this morning. No awesome almond croissant from the International Cafe. No dinner reservations at a specialty restaurant. Our flight arrived early in Detroit, but we sat on a taxiway for 15 minutes while another arriving flight parked. Collected our bags, hopped on shuttle to parking, and were the second to last of five parties to get to our vehicle. Lots of rush hour traffic on the way home, so we were a little behind schedule but arrived home safely at 4:45. Took a Nino's Margherita pizza out of the freezer while DH went to Kroger for some staples. Did some minimal unpacking but will finish today. Enjoyed pizza while watching Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy! that we missed while we were away. Went to bed shortly thereafter. Travel is tiring.

Our dinner at Sabatini's on the last night of the cruise turned out to be the best meal of the voyage. We were so glad to have been able to get a reservation! We have always gone to Sabatini's on every cruise and would have missed it terribly if we hadn't been able to enjoy a dinner there. Princess ships are built in Italy, and the head chefs have always been Italian, so there is a lot of Italian influence in the onboard cuisine. Sabatini's showcases Princess' prowess in Italian cuisine - our favorite. While not as good as Picano's, the food is a close rival with some menu items equal to what we'd get at our favorite local Italian restaurant.

We started our meal with a lovely Chianti recommended by the sommelier. We considered a couple of the pricier super Tuscan wines, but the sommelier said if we like Chiantis, we should go with his recommendation. We were pleased with the wine that was a perfect accompaniment to our wonderful dinner. Waiter delivered a bread basket and two large arancini (cheese-stuffed rice balls) with marinara. We each had one and waiter asked if we wanted more. No; we had to save room for the rest of the meal :D We skipped the appetizer course, but both had the house salad. We each ordered a pasta dish: DH had seafood linguine in a light lemon-wine sauce. I had pasta primavera with asparagus, broccoli, zucchini, yellow squash, cherry tomatoes in a light tomato-wine sauce. We asked for small portions so we could order main dishes, but the pastas could have easily been a meal. Both were delicious! DH ordered Osso Bucco with saffron risotto for his main course, and I had chicken in rosemary-wine sauce. I didn't want mashed potatoes (they're usually made with milk and butter), so waiter promised me extra veggies. The dish included three chicken breast medallions with plenty of lovely sauteed vegetables. For dessert, we both chose Chocolate Journeys that is a sampler of four different chocolate concoctions, all of which are amazing. We both deemed the vanilla zabaglione with chocolate covered berries the best of the four. We would ordinarily finish our dinner in Sabatini's with a shot of limoncello but were told that the supply for this cruise was exhausted. We finished our Chianti instead of taking the bottle back to our stateroom.

The restaurant manager was a gorgeous young woman from Romania who visited our table a couple of times while we were dining. DH told her how disappointed we'd have been if we hadn't been able to enjoy at least one dinner in Sabatini's and that our dinner there had been the best of the cruise. She thanked us for the compliments, and we later learned that she comped our dinners ($25pp)! We had also received a $50 credit because our laptop wouldn't work in our stateroom. We were sitting at a table in Bistro Sur La Mer for most of our internet use - the same table where we sat for dinner twice. No further cruise food reports. Thanks for following.

Last edited:
I was craving a cheeseburger, so I cooked the two burgers today. They had cooked bacon pieces and chopped fried onions in them. I sprinkled garlic powder, pepper and salt. Then realized fried onion probably were salty. Oh well I’m drinking a lot of water. Tomorrow morning I’ll wear my compression socklettes to help with water retention.

I cooked them well done but actually didn’t realize it. The instant thermometer said 150 degrees. They almost had a meatloaf taste to them. I don’t know if it was the type of beef or the fried onion carbs. I would not recommend making burgers like this. Having the toppings separate is better tasting to me. I had one for lunch and one for a late dinner. Very filling at a 1/2 lb each and cured my craving!
My go to seasoning for burgers is Lawry's Seasoned Salt.

Good morning from my home in Rochester Hills, MI. No room service this morning. No awesome almond croissant from the International Cafe. No dinner reservations at a specialty restaurant. Our flight arrived early in Detroit, but we sat on a taxiway for 15 minutes while another arriving flight parked. Collected our bags, hopped on shuttle to parking, and were the second to last of five parties to get to our vehicle. Lots of rush hour traffic on the way home, so we were a little behind schedule but arrived home safely at 4:45. Took a Nino's Margherita pizza out of the freezer while DH went to Kroger for some staples. Did some minimal unpacking but will finish today. Enjoyed pizza while watching Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy! that we missed while we were away. Went to bed shortly thereafter. Travel is tiring.

Our dinner at Sabatini's on the last night of the cruise turned out to be the best meal of the voyage. We were so glad to have been able to get a reservation! We have always gone to Sabatini's on every cruise and would have missed it terribly if we hadn't been able to enjoy a dinner there. Princess ships are built in Italy, and the head chefs have always been Italian, so there is a lot of Italian influence in the onboard cuisine. Sabatini's showcases Princess' prowess in Italian cuisine - our favorite. While not as good as Picano's, the food is a close rival with some menu items equal to what we'd get at our favorite local Italian restaurant.

We started our meal with a lovely Chianti recommended by the sommelier. We considered a couple of the pricier super Tuscan wines, but the sommelier said if we like Chiantis, we should go with his recommendation. We were pleased with the wine that was a perfect accompaniment to our wonderful dinner. Waiter delivered a bread basket and two large arancini (cheese-stuffed rice balls) with marinara. We each had one and waiter asked if we wanted more. No; we had to save room for the rest of the meal :D We skipped the appetizer course, but both had the house salad. We each ordered a pasta dish: DH had seafood linguine in a light lemon-wine sauce. I had pasta primavera with asparagus, broccoli, zucchini, yellow squash, cherry tomatoes in a light tomato-wine sauce. We asked for small portions so we could order main dishes, but the pastas could have easily been a meal. Both were delicious! DH ordered Osso Bucco with saffron risotto for his main course, and I had chicken in rosemary-wine sauce. I didn't want mashed potatoes (they're usually made with milk and butter), so waiter promised me extra veggies. The dish included three chicken breast medallions with plenty of lovely sauteed vegetables. For dessert, we both chose Chocolate Journeys that is a sampler of four different chocolate concoctions, all of which are amazing. We both deemed the vanilla zabaglione with chocolate covered berries the best of the four. We would ordinarily finish our dinner in Sabatini's with a shot of limoncello but were told that the supply for this cruise was exhausted. We finished our Chianti instead of taking the bottle back to our stateroom.

The restaurant manager was a gorgeous young woman from Romania who visited our table a couple of times while we were dining. DH told her how disappointed we'd have been if we hadn't been able to enjoy at least one dinner in Sabatini's and that our dinner there had been the best of the cruise. She thanked us for the compliments, and we later learned that she comped our dinners ($25pp)! We had also received a $50 credit because our laptop wouldn't work in our stateroom. We were sitting at a table in Bistro Sur La Mer for most of our internet use - the same table where we sat for dinner twice. No further cruise food reports. Thanks for following.
Welcome back, @BetteDavisEyes ! Thank you for sharing your culinary adventures. It sounds like you had a lovely cruise.

I used to use Lawry's all the time but switched to Montreal Steak Seasoning. "Everything Bagel" seasoning is quite popular now, and I'm thinking about getting some.
We use the Montreal Steak seasoning on fried potatoes and in my beef and barley soup. Oddly we don’t use it on steak. My steak marinade is either:
Lowry’s, lemon juice, garlic and Worcestershire if we are having steak or
Lowey’s, lime juice, garlic and cumin if I’m making fajitas.

I generally ground my own meat for burgers and then added butter, Lowry’s and pepper for flavor. With the butchering of the cow we got 70 pounds of ground beef. Also have about 40 pounds of ground venison.

I am enjoying hearing about the freeze dryer items and how they turn out. I had never heard of this before so it is very interesting.
Thanks. I’m trying to prepare for the next pandemic or if there are any food shortages in the future. When TX had the big freeze a year or so ago, fruits and veggies were hard to come by for a short time so I’m trying to stockpile some of those. Ready made meals in case we have to self-isolate will be handy as well. Next item to purchase is sun oven.

Next up is my mom’s home grown applesauce she made in her instapot. Should freeze to nice powder that can be used in cakes and cookies.

I'm glad you are home safely! You said "travel is tiring," and it sure is for me.

Thank you for your interesting reports during your cruise. Your final dinner onboard sounds wonderful. How nice that the restaurant manager comped your dinners!

Thank you for sharing your adventures with us Bette, I have absolutely loved reading along.

I have never been on a cruise but my father was a big fan of Fred Olsen cruises and used to enjoy the food and take photos of the amazing tableaux of bread or fish etc more than he did of the sightseeing :D

Pizza for dinner tonight :)

Grab a slice on February 9 at restaurants across the country.

There are few foods that are as beloved as pizza. We love it whether it's New York-style, Detroit-style, Chicago-style, or some other variety entirely. And whether it's deep dish or thin crust, cheese or pepperoni, it's always delicious.

Pizza is such a national treasure that it's no surprise it has a holiday in its honor. On February 9, we celebrate National Pizza Day. Restaurants nationwide are honoring this delicious handheld meal with a variety of freebies and discounts...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998